• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most popular game console on Black Friday 2021 isn't the PlayStation 5 — it's the $300 Xbox Series S (due to availability)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyyGOD

The last few games I played, like Scarlet Nexus, Psychonauts 2 are 1440p/60 on S. Forza 5 is too, provided you play 30fps. RE Village was 1440p/60 as well. I'd say its the same or more than actual native 4k PS5/XSX games.

Absolutely. Dolby Vision and VRR are in for example. Next to that there is Atmos. These are things my PS5 still won't pull off.
I think people forget the fact that these games are still running on last gen game engines.

Lady Gaga Snl GIF

Series S is a hot item.

ParaSeoul

I think some people forget how myopic a hive-minded ivory tower of gaming enthusiasts can become. Most of the world doesn't give a shit if a game uses a previous-gen or next-gen engine if the end product is pleasing to look at.
Think hes referring to how future proof the Series S is,if it struggles with some last gen tech games

ParaSeoul

The Series S is a good concept,a console that do everything the series x can at a lower resolution it isn't that. Even if it is still is very impressive for the price.

reksveks

From what I understand the Switch sold extremely well throughout the year. Sure BF sales do add to the platforms install base but the rest of the year matters as well. It's why it's important to look at the entire year to determine the health of the platform.
I bought it for a gift.

This is the one of the major reasons why the series s I believe will have a better BF/Xmas increase than the other consoles. The prices point makes it a much better gift suggestion and impulse buy than the 499 consoles.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This is the one of the major reasons why the series s I believe will have a better BF/Xmas increase than the other consoles. The prices point makes it a much better gift suggestion and impulse buy than the 499 consoles.

That and a lot of people on this board don't seem to get that for a lot of casual buyers, it's an afterthought, it plays games, they are happy. Imagine how it will sell at $249 or even $229 down the road.

S0ULZB0URNE

True... I think $500 for a gift for my nephew was kinda high and I think the xss is much more simplistic for his age.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Has he ever given an explanation for the times PS5 was in 2nd in the UK (or any analyst, for that matter) that had anything to do with other system offerings being out of stock? Because stock issues can affect any system at any time, even if as an average over time one system is more in stock (which by the way, != "just sitting on store shelves", which is what the term has taken on meaning-wise with some people) than the other.

He always gives explanations. You're only looking for a reason to discredit my point.

Okay, and that doesn't make him an authority on the subject. He's one person with their opinion; another analyst could tell you the same fact but give a different supportive reason, whose you weigh more comes down to which perspective more closely aligns with your own. And again, would he use the "out of stock" reasoning WRT Switch or Series X if PS5 came in 1st place? Because any other time the PS5 has this year, very few people have actually levied it as other options being supply-constrained.

In fact, particularly WRT Xbox their concern-trolling begins with questioning if Xbox even has any demand. Double standards are at play here.

Because contextual use and motive of intent in stating a fact are even more important in cases than the fact itself. Why do you think "fake news" became a phenomenon?

I used the tracking website, the article, and the well-known fact that there were no drops during that period. The fact that you know it was out of stock by repeating the claim, "no one wants to be reminded" proves what we already know.

Dude I haven't posted on a DF or VG Tech thing in months. In fact the only recent time I have was to tell people who were using early Elden Ring perf on the new systems to stop using it as a means of criticizing a console's design choices or try theorizing it's bottlenecks, because they were being very selective.

Otherwise I honestly am not following the tech comparison stuff anymore.

I'm not here to speak on behalf of other people so you kind of just wasted time quoting everyone who's been talking with you ITT aside from myself. As for the back-and-forth between you and I, there's no need for me to clarify anything previously said.

There's no doubt that you favor Xbox and that's why you posted in the Elden Ring thread. You also came up a "likely" conclusion that the only reason why it's performing better is because FromSoftware is more familiar with the PS4/PS5 Hardware.

Let's not forget your Austin Evans thread. You came to many conclusions based on his questionable analysis just about disagreed with people who brought conflicting information.

This is also similar to how you tried to explain the difference between outriders lighting and your source was a user thread from Resetera.

You have enough time to quote multiple folks, you probably have enough time to read what I posted more carefully to see what my main point of discussion in the thread has been.

Using a single tracking website to prove your point is like trying to use a single limited survey to back up a political theory. You have to cross-reference data from multiple sources (preferably including ones that can over blind spots data-wise of complements) before thinking you've got the silver bullet.

Because for starters, the line in the article mentioning it being a stock issue did not itself emphasize that as the main point of the article (and any loaded connotations it has taken on since have come from readers putting their own viewpoints on this). Secondly, ANYONE can assume that stock is going to play a factor when it comes to sales, you cannot sell what you do not have to sell.

This is true of EVERY industry, and EVERY good, so there is no reason to explicitly mention stock playing a part in Series S's sales when that should be assumed. The ONLY reason to insist on explicit mention of it, is if to signify that fact as having a much greater significance than usual, which inversely implies that the item in question saw a majority of its sales from factors other than its own merit(s).

...Which is why we have seen so many salty meltdowns around this discussion devolve into denigrating the Series S, or Xbox brand, in one way or another.

No one's trying to ignore it, the truth you don't want to accept is that it simply isn't an important or unique enough factor to mention.

Well that is most likely your own fault and maybe you should've structured your posts better, in a way where they didn't come off as doing the thing you feel they have been wrongly interpreted of.

I mean misinterpretation happens to all of us from time to time, but on topics like this you kind of have to admit you have a history of a certain "perspective" WRT a specific brand, that is going to follow you around when you make future posts regarding things of that same brand. And if so many people are making those "misinterpretations" of your posts here, maybe that's a sign that what I'm describing here isn't a one-off 🤷‍♂️

If we're talking about how the consoles performed versus one another (which this thread is about) then all the data showing stock is relevant. I can show many examples of how you used barely any sources to make up conclusions, but I'm criticized for it.

This is not the first time I pointed out how biased you were in threads and this is just another example of that.

You stated before that you believe people have a motive behind pointing out the fact that it's out of stock. That's the conclusion you have made every single time someone brought it up.

Let me remind you that this is not an Xbox thread, this is a thread about how all gaming platforms performed during Black Friday and people are free to point out the stock issues without you accusing people of having an ulterior motive. I pointed out that you used one source to back up your claims, but whenever someone uses the article as a source, it's critized. I've seen many examples of this from you.

If you're this critical of people posting their data, then you should be equally as critical who are just brushing it off by calling it excuses... but we all know why you wouldn't do that.

I already wasted enough time already. I'm done. There is nothing really to say when the facts speak for themselves.

SkylineRKR

Everything thats said about S, can also be pointed towards PS5 and X.

No 1440p for lots of games. No native 4k for lots of games either. Last gen engines? Again, PS5 and X struggle to run those at native 4k as well. Does TLOU2 or GoT on PS5 look like a last-gen game? Really I think the difference will be minimal. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those games already used quite a bit of power, they pushed the Pro and One X, which were consoles in the 4,5-6tf range. The PS5 is barely twice as powerful yet pushed out double the framerate or more.

True next gen isn't coming. Its already there. And the difference isn't massive. Will games improve over time and hardware be used more efficiently? yes. But look at history, Killzone Shadow Fall, it remains one of the most impressive looking games on the base PS4. was the difference with a late PS4 release that big? Rift Apart, Demon's Souls, Astrobot are next-gen exclusives. And I can't say they mop the floor with PS4 upgrades. This is different from previous gens, where PS4 looked far better than PS3 (in terms of resolution, framerate, fidelity everything).

From what I understand the Switch sold extremely well throughout the year. Sure BF sales do add to the platforms install base but the rest of the year matters as well. It's why it's important to look at the entire year to determine the health of the platform.

Now I'm going to stop you from saying that I've said this but I never said the XSS sold poorly. Only that it's the next gen system with the least amount of demand. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's a failure though.

I tend to look at the overall picture instead of focusing on one specific point. But that's just me.

Having least amount of demand != having no demand. That's the point of confusion being contested. It's a symptom of a bigger problem though IMO: the idea that a lot of people have that, if Thing A isn't doing THE best in terms of numbers on some old (and in the case of game console unit sales, a decreasing) metric in terms of defining a platform ecosystem's overall success, then it must be doing poorly or be in trouble.

Prince was never as big an artist as Michael Jackson, but was still a very successful artist in a similar space. There was only one Nirvana, but that doesn't mean Pearl Jam and Soundgarden were failures. And any item, or artist, or whatever having the "least demand" in its sphere doesn't actually serve as an indication of that gulf in demand. It just means it's less than the other items in that comparison, yet the gulf could be as great as 100% or as small as 1%, we don't know.

And in terms of game consoles we also have to consider that the degree of differences in demand probably change with specific demographics of gamers. Hardcore early adopters, core early adopters, casuals, mainstream etc. Then you have sub-group categories among them that further complicates things.

You can look at the overall picture, that's fine. Because I'm doing the same thing. And, one thing I've learned is that in a long-form event, race or what-have-you, a competitor doesn't need to be #1 the whole time in order to perform well, or even "win". They just need to be in first when it really counts. I use that very figuratively, mind, but I hope that puts it in good framing.

I already wasted enough time already. I'm done. There is nothing really to say when the facts speak for themselves.

You're so lucky the GAF editor didn't auto-save my typed-up reply before I clicked the link to that thread in your post :LOL: .

It's late, I'm out. But I'll re-type what had written, tomorrow.

Maybe.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You're so lucky the GAF editor didn't auto-save my typed-up reply before I clicked the link to that thread in your post :LOL: .

It's late, I'm out. But I'll re-type what had written, tomorrow.

Maybe.
I won't respond. There's nothing else to say. The things I said were based on facts. It's exactly what happened during that day and this is a thread about how all consoles performed during black friday.

That's it. Nothing more.

Banjo64

cumsessed
As long as people are gaming on 1080p displays the XSS will make sense.
It’s a good idea in theory IMO. Even for next gen when the PS6 and next gen Xbox are targeting true 4k the Series S equivalent could target true 1440p. 1440p looks fine on a 4k display.

Wizz-Art

I won't respond. There's nothing else to say. The things I said were based on facts. It's exactly what happened during that day and this is a thread about how all consoles performed during black friday.

That's it. Nothing more.
Ok. Just tell me for a fact, which console outsold all the others this black friday? No if's or but's... let the facts speak for themselves.

Last edited:

You have a point there but the other two consoles can still outsell it due to the rest of the year sales. Plus I don't believe this supply situation will last forever so at some point it's possible to beat the XSS during BF.

reksveks

You have a point there but the other two consoles can still outsell it due to the rest of the year sales. Plus I don't believe this supply situation will last forever so at some point it's possible to beat the XSS during BF.
Oh, yeah. Annually I think there is no guarantee that the series s outsell the x, probably doesn't.

I was just referring to the relative splits of each sku per month/period, that the series s I think will grow the most.

Oh, yeah. Annually I think there is no guarantee that the series s outsell the x, probably doesn't.

I was just referring to the relative splits of each sku per month/period, that the series s I think will grow the most.

Yes I can definitely see that. But the same would be true for the other platforms if supply wasn't an issue. Black Friday tends to be a big time of the year for retailers. History has shown us that most systems see a spike on that date if supply is good.

Ozriel

M$FT
True... I think $500 for a gift for my nephew was kinda high and I think the xss is much more simplistic for his age.

Exact same OS, same controller, same setup etc. it’s not less simplistic than the series x.

At some point you’ll exhaust the hardcore fanbase, and then the more casual Market will choose between a $499 console and a $299 console that plays the same games.

You never know how it’ll pan out, tbh.

Exact same OS, same controller, same setup etc. it’s not less simplistic than the series x.

At some point you’ll exhaust the hardcore fanbase, and then the more casual Market will choose between a $499 console and a $299 console that plays the same games.

You never know how it’ll pan out, tbh.

You also have to consider that the 399$ PS5 might become more available. There could very well be competition between the XSS and the PS5 DE with the casuals.

twilo99

It's smaller.
Doesn't take physical media.

He didn't get it yet.

Well let us know if he hates it when you give it to him. And you are good human for giving a family member a nice gift like that, gg.

having a smaller footprint makes it more functional, not more simplistic in my opinion. Not having a disk drive is more simplistic I guess..

Last edited:

That's it. Nothing more.

Your failure the entire time has not been bringing up a fact, it has been in the intent, motivation and purpose of bringing up the fact. Your intentions, to a lot of posters, are at best redundant. The fact in question was never lost upon the vast majority ITT.

Learn a little bit about statistical manipulation; here's a link. There is always an intent or purpose to referencing data, and weight to that reference. You're seemingly unaware of this.

That's it. Nothing more.

Ok. Just tell me for a fact, which console outsold all the others this black friday? No if's or but's... let the facts speak for themselves.

It's funny, isn't it? For someone who apparently just wants to talk facts, there is one glaring fact in this they simply can't state without throwing a bunch of asterisks into it.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

I don't need to repeat myself and I'm not going to play games because you don't want to acknowledge stock issues. That's a problem you have to figure out.

Your failure the entire time has not been bringing up a fact, it has been in the intent, motivation and purpose of bringing up the fact. Your intentions, to a lot of posters, are at best redundant. The fact in question was never lost upon the vast majority ITT.

Learn a little bit about statistical manipulation; here's a link. There is always an intent or purpose to referencing data, and weight to that reference. You're seemingly unaware of this.

That's it. Nothing more.

There's no failure. People said it was an excuse as to why it sold better and I just posted the facts.

It's funny, isn't it? For someone who apparently just wants to talk facts, there is one glaring fact in this they simply can't state without throwing a bunch of asterisks into it.

Are you always applying asterisks whenever a PS5 game performs better?

Dirt 5 performs better? You mentioned XB1X tools being behind.

Elden Ring performs better? You have to tell people that FromSoftware is more familiar with the PS4/5 and that's what it's running better.

You have a history of being really defensive when it comes to sales. Back in May, Xbox sold more than the PS5 and people were pointing out stock issues. People shared tweets by Christopher Dring from GamesIndustry.biz but you weren't happy because people weren't congratulating Xbox's victory.

When PlayStation 5 sold more consoles in the United States than the Xbox Series X|S.....you brought up stock issues.

NPD: PlayStation 5 has highest launch month for a hardware platform in U.S. history.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best

People seem to be forgetting Microsoft distributed their systems to more markets globally at launch than Sony did.

Not that it takes away from PS5's strong launch here in America. However, context is always needed and some people are just conveniently forgetting that to gloat or troll or whatever. They're clinging onto consoles sold the same way a lot of them clung onto teraflops up until March.

A clear example of hypocrisy.

And yes, I'm actually done this time.

Last edited:
I don't need to repeat myself and I'm not going to play games because you don't want to acknowledge stock issues. That's a problem you have to figure out.

There's no failure. People said it was an excuse as to why it sold better and I just posted the facts.

Are you always applying asterisks whenever a PS5 game performs better?

Dirt 5 performs better? You mentioned XB1X tools being behind.

Elden Ring performs better? You have to tell people that FromSoftware is more familiar with the PS4/5 and that's what it's running better.

You have a history of being really defensive when it comes to sales. Back in May, Xbox sold more than the PS5 and people were pointing out stock issues. People shared tweets by Christopher Dring from GamesIndustry.biz but you weren't happy because people weren't congratulating Xbox's victory.

When PlayStation 5 sold more consoles in the United States than the Xbox Series X|S.....you brought up stock issues.

NPD: PlayStation 5 has highest launch month for a hardware platform in U.S. history.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best

A clear example of hypocrisy.

And yes, I'm actually done this time.

Did you even try looking at the other posts in that thread before pulling your "gotcha!"? Look at the tone of some of the posts before that, hell you even ignore the fact I said in the quoted post that what I mentioned wasn't to take away from PS5's sales accomplishment. Also, if you have to dig over a YEAR in the past to get your "gotcha!", then you're too desperate.

Since you're so desperate to turn this into a Twitter debate dragging old posts for...I don't even know...fine, I'll explain very briefly why those posts were made:

1: Because it was due to tools? Context my man, how does it work? How about going after the people who used a literal launch game as a means of trying to highlight weaknesses or failure in a console's design architecture, when anyone who's been gaming for more than five years can tell you that you should almost NEVER use launch games to gauge the full potential or efficiency of any game console design.

2: Because AFAIK there wasn't anyone else mentioning that? Almost from the 1st page there were people chalking it up to design/architecture flaws and weaknesses with Series X. They took a singular case and jumped the shark into the Pacific Ocean. I even said it would not of been a signal of any "weakness" with PS5 if it was running better on Series X but of course, you pretend that part wasn't mentioned. Go figure.

3: People were doing the same thing in THAT thread that has been happening in THIS thread, i.e excusing/downplaying Series X sales that month by mentioning PS5 supply constraints, with loaded negative connotations (and salt) to belittle the Series X sales that month. If that wasn't happening, I would not have made that post.

4: Maybe you should've followed that chain of linked posts to get, oh what is it called again, the "context"? It was me giving some substance to Jigsaah Jigsaah 's post which was a response to assurdum assurdum 's post insinuating people were fanboys for doing anything other than what they seemingly deemed acceptable.

Granted I wish I had the foresight back then to give a simple congratulatory/GGs post earlier in that thread before making that specific post, but at least I'm willing to admit that was a mistake on my part. It was...also a year ago.

If I were in those threads TODAY making posts I'd probably go about things a bit differently, to be fair, but you seem to have a hard-on for boiling down my posting history to very selective posts to try painting me as an Xbox fanboy, even though my fuller post history has me giving props to Sony stuff and even defending PS5 in light of FUD and misinformation. No backhanded compliments or stuff like that, either. Maybe I'm just - gasp! - actually a fan of all the platform options, and have both complimented and criticized them all over the months.

But your narrative is already set in your head, run wild with it. I'll let the fuller context of my own posts do the talking like they always have, not some cherry-picked weaksauce for cheap gotcha moments.

DragonNCM

that’s pretty dang amazing when you think about it. 250 quid gets you a system that can perform to a similar level as that gpu.
what a little beast.
Tested on Borderlands 3 and PC settings all on high vs XSS version. On PC I'm missing some visuals from lighting and framerate is not that consistent on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom