• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most popular game console on Black Friday 2021 isn't the PlayStation 5 — it's the $300 Xbox Series S (due to availability)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjo64

cumsessed
You throw insults instead of discussing the information. You're doing this because you know the information is correct but you don't want to hear it.

He explained why XSS is in the UK second place and that's because the other consoles are out of stock.

If he was in this thread, he would tell you why the XSS is in first place in the US and that's because the XSX and PS5 are out of stock.

IS that true or false? It's true. There's no reason to debate about this. The only reason why you choose to do it is that you don't like it when people mention it.

You have no problem quoting DF of VG tech for accurate information as to why one console is performing better than the other. Seems like citing sources and sharing information is not wanted unless it's to praise the Xbox.

Let's look at the previous comments in this thread.

I explained why it's a stock issue.

DForce

I gave an explanation and you then accused me of being "mad".

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

I said there's nothing to be mad about. I'm just telling you what it says in the article.

DForce

You're accusing people of quoting the article to downplay the fact that the XSS sold well.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

I said this is a console performance thread during Black Friday. That means you have to compare how one console sold versus the other.

DForce

Ozriel replied and basically said people praised sony for being able to launch more consoles despite a launching a week later. Is irrelevant because you guys weren't allowed to mention that during the launch week.

Ozriel

I stuck to the Black Friday console comparison topic because that's what the topic is about.

DForce

This is another, "It doesn't matter what the article says" comment.

Banjo64

I was then being accused of lying and making up facts. I cited my sources and my information was never disputed by anyone.

bushwookie

I kept it short and simple. I shared links and information and asked him to dispute it. He never returned.
DForce

Max replied to his comment and said it's fanboyism, even though I made it perfectly clear that I'm giving reasons why the XSS also sold out another Xbox console. It was never about Xbox versus PlayStation.

Max Payne’s Baretta

I replied and said the information is in the article

DForce

He never once discussed the context of the article. It's evident that he wanted to ignore it.

Max Payne’s Baretta

DForce

Max Payne’s Baretta

DForce

Instead of posting my entire conversation with Kingfey, I will only quote the most important parts.

kingfey

DForce

kingfey

The Xbox Series S is selling and it's one of the most popular items during Black Friday. No one ever disputed that.

He did not want to acknowledge what was in the article. I asked him directly if the article says the other consoles are out of stock after accusing me of being desperate by saying it's a stock issue.

DForce

He admitted "even with stock issues

kingfey

Conclusion

I stuck to the subject, I mentioned what was in the article and I backed up information from NowInStock to prove my point.

The people who replied to me did not discuss the part of the article where it mentions that it was a stock issue. If people can "clearly read it" as you claim, then there wouldn't be a huge effort to ignore what was written inside of the article.

The replies were are filled with false accusations that I was saying the XSS wouldn't sell if the other consoles were in stock. Yes, people can clearly read what was in the article, but they want to pretend it doesn't exist.
I sincerely hope you get help mate (y)

kingfey

Banned
Do you see what kinds of numbers $1k cell phones that people use for a year or two sell at?

None of the numbers support a lot of the things being said in this thread.
Only iPhone sells. The rest are considered a turd, and value drop badly. The iphone 6 is still selling at 150$.

I dont know what Apple did to people, but they did a fine job placing a value on phones, which people will drop it next year, for the new one.

Rich casuals are just too scary.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I’m not insulting you.
Telling people to get help? Insultingmeans trying to offend someone.

Either discuss the information that's being discussed on this topic or move along. This thread is about Black Friday console performance. If you're not going to discuss the performance during Black Friday, then I'm not going to entertain your post.

kingfey

Banned
You throw insults instead of discussing the information. You're doing this because you know the information is correct but you don't want to hear it.

He explained why XSS is in the UK second place and that's because the other consoles are out of stock.

If he was in this thread, he would tell you why the XSS is in first place in the US and that's because the XSX and PS5 are out of stock.

IS that true or false? It's true. There's no reason to debate about this. The only reason why you choose to do it is that you don't like it when people mention it.

You have no problem quoting DF of VG tech for accurate information as to why one console is performing better than the other. Seems like citing sources and sharing information is not wanted unless it's to praise the Xbox.

Let's look at the previous comments in this thread.

I explained why it's a stock issue.

DForce

I gave an explanation and you then accused me of being "mad".

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

I said there's nothing to be mad about. I'm just telling you what it says in the article.

DForce

You're accusing people of quoting the article to downplay the fact that the XSS sold well.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

I said this is a console performance thread during Black Friday. That means you have to compare how one console sold versus the other.

DForce

Ozriel replied and basically said people praised sony for being able to launch more consoles despite a launching a week later. Is irrelevant because you guys weren't allowed to mention that during the launch week.

Ozriel

I stuck to the Black Friday console comparison topic because that's what the topic is about.

DForce

This is another, "It doesn't matter what the article says" comment.

Banjo64

I was then being accused of lying and making up facts. I cited my sources and my information was never disputed by anyone.

bushwookie

I kept it short and simple. I shared links and information and asked him to dispute it. He never returned.
DForce

Max replied to his comment and said it's fanboyism, even though I made it perfectly clear that I'm giving reasons why the XSS also sold out another Xbox console. It was never about Xbox versus PlayStation.

Max Payne’s Baretta

I replied and said the information is in the article

DForce

He never once discussed the context of the article. It's evident that he wanted to ignore it.

Max Payne’s Baretta

DForce

Max Payne’s Baretta

DForce

Instead of posting my entire conversation with Kingfey, I will only quote the most important parts.

kingfey

DForce

kingfey

The Xbox Series S is selling and it's one of the most popular items during Black Friday. No one ever disputed that.

He did not want to acknowledge what was in the article. I asked him directly if the article says the other consoles are out of stock after accusing me of being desperate by saying it's a stock issue.

DForce

He admitted "even with stock issues

kingfey

Conclusion

I stuck to the subject, I mentioned what was in the article and I backed up information from NowInStock to prove my point.

The people who replied to me did not discuss the part of the article where it mentions that it was a stock issue. If people can "clearly read it" as you claim, then there wouldn't be a huge effort to ignore what was written inside of the article.

The replies were are filled with false accusations that I was saying the XSS wouldn't sell if the other consoles were in stock. Yes, people can clearly read what was in the article, but they want to pretend it doesn't exist.
I will leave this here.
The article says the XSS was readily available while PS5 and XSX was hard to find.

That's a stock issue. Period. You can't accept facts because you want to believe a different narrative.
Many Xbox fans don't want to accept the fact that the Xbox Series S is readily available compared to the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5.
It's not about XSX and the PS5 having "some effect". It's probably selling at the same pace as it was because it's it was available at the time the article was posted.

This means it's dominating compared to XSX and PS5 because the others are not even available to purchase.

Topher

Gold Member
You are making the assumption that the series S has the same stock as both of these consoles.

Ps5 has more chips, yet it cant produce enough to meet the demand. MS has low waifers compared to ps5, But they can produce SS very fast, compared to xsx. Its why XSS has more stock than both of these consoles.

Until we see more stock of these consoles, the XSS will sell more hardwares.

Once again you didn't even read my post. Bernd Lauert Bernd Lauert was right and we don't agree on much. You are going on ignore.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It's defies all logic to suggest that no one knows about the marketing claim except die-hards and GAF. There is such a thing as media and word of mouth.

My point was that Series S marketing was more misleading than the XSX and PS5, which is it. You decided to say my point doesn't count because not even one casual follower watched it. Which is quite an ignorant claim based on nothing at all.

Your example was the definition of stereotyping of tens of millions of people bud.

Whereas I made an assumption that casuals (even if was just a single person) are aware of the marketing claim as a result of this PR video. They could be made aware of that through media, gaming sites, blog post, twitter, word or mouth or talking to staff in a gaming shop.. it could be absolutely anything from anywhere.. so yeah, it's very safe to assume that someone in that many tens of millions of people have heard that the XSS is the XSX just at a lower resolution - just like the PR line.

It's just common sense that at least one casual becomes aware of a PR claim.

Please quote where I said not one person watched that video. What I was stating was the obvious, that in all likely hood the vast majority of S buyers have not seen that video.
I bet 95% of them understand its weaker and are ok with that, even if it's 1080p. You are not.

As far as the marketing being more misleading than X or ps5, that's just your misinformed opinion. Every generation, including this one for all 3 machines has claims that are not being met. Yet you continue to obsess and focus only on the S like it killed your dog or something.

I think I should send sony and ms some hate emails over the lack of true 4k games and no 8k games to compensate for you ridiculous series S crusade.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Telling people to get help? Insultingmeans trying to offend someone.

Either discuss the information that's being discussed on this topic or move along. This thread is about Black Friday console performance. If you're not going to discuss the performance during Black Friday, then I'm not going to entertain your post.
I didn’t tell you to get help, I said I hope you do get help. That’s not an insult, but I’m sorry if you were offended by it.

I’m happy to discuss the performance of the Series S during Black Friday. By all accounts it looks like it’s moved fantastic numbers so well done to MS and I hope the many, many people that bought one enjoy their tremendous little console.

kingfey

Banned
XSS was in-stock on Sunday
The XSS and PS5 were out of stock on Sunday

That means the XSS sold more.

It's common sense. Bye.
That was the entire point everyone was trying to tell you. You dragged this post to page 15, arguing with everyone.

You just keep adding the out of stock, like people wont buy the xss, if those devices were in stock.

We told you, people wont spend 300$ if they really want those devices. And the XSS wont sell that much, if people didnt want that console. You didnt want to hear any of that.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Hello,

Very true, what's also common sense is that you really can't force people to spend $300 on something they don't want.
Show me where I said the XSS wasn't going to sell if the other consoles were in stock.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I didn’t tell you to get help, I said I hope you do get help. That’s not an insult, but I’m sorry if you were offended by it.

I’m happy to discuss the performance of the Series S during Black Friday. By all accounts it looks like it’s moved fantastic numbers so well done to MS and I hope the many, many people that bought one enjoy their tremendous little console.
You're only repeating what you said earlier. I said what's already mentioned in the article and you clearly didn't like it. So either tell me what I said was wrong because you obviously have a problem with what I'm posting.

Banjo64

cumsessed
You're only repeating what you said earlier. I said what's already mentioned in the article and you clearly didn't like it. So either tell me what I said was wrong because you obviously have a problem with what I'm posting.
I never said I didn’t like the article, or you quoting it. I don’t know where you got that impression from.

I just laughed at you for saying other people need therapy in TLOU2 threads, when you are displaying some pretty obsessive and strange behaviour in this thread.

I also said I hope you get help in response to your bizarre, rambling post in which you had to highlight where your conclusion started. You crack on highlighting the fact that the PS5 and Series X are supply constrained, I’m sure there’s people who still don’t know and it’s really important that they find out.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I never said I didn’t like the article, or you quoting it. I don’t know where you got that impression from.

I just laughed at you for saying other people need therapy in TLOU2 threads, when you are displaying some pretty obsessive and strange behaviour in this thread.

I also said I hope you get help in response to your bizarre, rambling post in which you had to highlight where your conclusion started. You crack on highlighting the fact that the PS5 and Series X are supply constrained, I’m sure there’s people who still don’t know and it’s really important that they find out.
Posting what's in the article is not strange behavior. What's strange behavior is posting facts and then a person comes along to accuse me of being obsessive. You don't like the fact that I'm pointing out it was stock issues, and considering it's a mere fact that's what's going on, you're trying to manufacture an argument because you know what I said is true.

I also shared sales data in TLOU2 thread and you called it obsessive.

You simply do not like information that goes against your personal beliefs on the subject that are not factually based. Since you cannot argue with the facts at hand, you're going to resort to calling people obsessive. There was TLOU 2 sales thread made yesterday, and the same people who don't like the game showed up to criticize it again. You said nothing because that's the side you choose to believe.

Don't waste my time with these bogus claims. This discussion is over because you're only looking to argue.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
kingfey kingfey That's not what the quote says. Show me where I said the XSS wouldn't sell if the other consoles were in-stock. I only said it would sell more than XSS.

kingfey kingfey That's not what the quote says. Show me where I said the XSS wouldn't sell if the other consoles were in-stock. I only said it would sell more than XSS.

I think I'm understanding what you're saying.

Basically you're saying that if there was a surplus for all three systems the ones with a higher demand would sell more units. Essentially the highest demanded ones are the premium systems and not the budget ones.

Something I stated earlier is that we don't have a good picture of what the demand is due to both the PS5 and the XSX being sold out extremely quickly. However I don't think it's stupid to assume the demand for the XSS is less due the system not selling out as often as the other two.

It would be really nice to get a breakdown from Microsoft because that would make it easier to compare sales. Unfortunately all we have are estimates.

Sorry to butt in like this but I wanted to let you know that I understood what you were saying.

Last edited:

scydrex

In my country you can get a Xbox Series without a problem in every store they have available. The PS5 is more difficult and much more expensive. The Series S price is US$331-349 and the Series X for around $611 to 630. The PS5 digital $873 and the disc version $960. If i buy the Xbox online from Amazon for example i would spend the same as buying it from a store locally plus warranty. For example if i buy an Series X or PS5 for $530 a friend would charge me $69 to import it from FL Nobody want an Series. They are pretty cheap here.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I think I'm understanding what you're saying.

Basically you're saying that if there was a surplus for all three systems the ones with a higher demand would sell more units. Essentially the highest demanded ones are the premium systems and not the budget ones.

Something I stated earlier is that we don't have a good picture of what the demand is due to both the PS5 and the XSX being sold out extremely quickly. However I don't think it's stupid to assume the demand for the XSS is less due the system not selling out as often as the other two.

It would be really nice to get a breakdown from Microsoft because that would make it easier to compare sales. Unfortunately all we have are estimates.

Sorry to butt in like this but I wanted to let you know that I understood what you were saying.
Yes. I believe it's likely that the premium consoles would sell more, but considering that we don't have data to make that claim, I cannot say for 100% sure. I can only go based on how the consoles have sold within the past 12 months and that the XSX and PS5 would have likely sold more if they were in stock.

Items that are in higher demand are likely going to sell more by default. How people are interpreting this as me saying the XSS wouldn't sell if the other consoles were in stock is insane. XSS was going to sell regardless of stock issues, and the sales increased during Black Friday because that's what typically happens.

kingfey

Banned
No, I need you to quote me where I said it wouldn't sell if the other consoles were in stock.
Tom And Jerry Cartoons GIF by HBO Max

Yes. I believe it's likely that the premium consoles would sell more, but considering that we don't have data to make that claim, I cannot say for 100% sure. I can only go based on how the consoles have sold within the past 12 months and that the XSX and PS5 would have likely sold more if they were in stock.

Items that are in higher demand are likely going to sell more by default. How people are interpreting this as me saying the XSS wouldn't sell if the other consoles were in stock is insane. XSS was going to sell regardless of stock issues, and the sales increased during Black Friday because that's what typically happens.

The only thing that I could see is that the people who bought an XSS because they couldn't find an XSX/PS5 would buy a premium system instead. But I also said earlier that I believe it's a rare situation for someone to buy an XSS because they couldn't find a premium system. People will most likely just wait or buy from a scalper.

To be fair I think it would be easier for you to admit that you made a mistake if you can't prove him wrong. I haven't read anything like that from him but I could also have missed something. It's why I like it when a different person looks at something because they may spot something that I haven't.

I don't think it's worth dragging something like this into a state of limbo. Just something to keep in mind for the future.

Edit: Just something I would like to add. I also make the mistake of assuming that somebody said something when they meant something different. Sometimes my biases get in the way and my brain spins their words to mean something else. It usually takes a while for me to see this which is why I appreciate feedback on what I got wrong. Sometimes I can be stubborn though and threads can drag on many pages because of that.

Last edited:
Oh, I have. I'd like to see this video where MS guaranteed that all software would run at 1440p.
There is no such video. No platform holder ever has made a claim like that about their system especially when 3rd parties make the majority of the software. It was stated a high mark like 4K is the high mark on PS5 and XSX. There are tons of games on those systems that aren't running 4K native and most normal people don't bat an eye or proclaim that a company 'lied' to them.

The XSS remains a nice sweet spot of price and performance and no matter how many people make up unreasonable and unrealistic standards the system remains a great value. This was a really smart move by MS. Just think this system will continue to drop in price as the years go on. I don't see why it wouldn't be the highest seller at the end of the generation.

Hoddi

There is no such video. No platform holder ever has made a claim like that about their system especially when 3rd parties make the majority of the software. It was stated a high mark like 4K is the high mark on PS5 and XSX. There are tons of games on those systems that aren't running 4K native and most normal people don't bat an eye or proclaim that a company 'lied' to them.

The XSS remains a nice sweet spot of price and performance and no matter how many people make up unreasonable and unrealistic standards the system remains a great value. This was a really smart move by MS. Just think this system will continue to drop in price as the years go on. I don't see why it wouldn't be the highest seller at the end of the generation.
I don't disagree but Microsoft absolutely flubbed it by introducing 1440p into the picture. If they had simply said it was their new 1080p system that can sometimes run at higher resolutions then there wouldn't be much to talk about.

It doesn't exactly excuse the 8k claims for PS5/XSX though. The S is way more capable at 1440p than either of those are at 8k.

Last edited:
I don't disagree but Microsoft absolutely flubbed it by introducing 1440p into the picture. If they had simply said it was their new 1080p system that can sometimes run at higher resolutions then there wouldn't be much to talk about.

It doesn't exactly excuse the 8k claims for PS5/XSX though. The S is way more capable at 1440p than either of those are at 8k.

Every once in a while you will get something like the Touryst but the PS5 doesn't even display that game at 8K. And even then one game wouldn't make it an 8K capable console.

If they limited their marketing to it can play movies at 8K I would be fine with it. But gaming is one heck of a stretch. The only reason why they have 8K on the box is due to the HDMI output but I still don't think it's correct.

ZehDon

Fifa, Cod, and fornite have been the main drive for casuals to join the next gen space.

When the SS can do these, they will just go pick it up, since other console is impossible to get.

Well, these games are available on the last gen consoles that the casual audience already owns. In your opinion, why would these games specifically drive adoption of next gen consoles in the casual market?

What I think we're seeing, at least with the XSS, is that its at the USD$299 sweet spot that consoles aim for to drive their mass adoption. It's been covered in this thread already, but Sony buried Sega with this number alone. So, I think it's less about specific games, and more about gaming in general ballooning during COVID-19. People want to game more. It's not about people grabbing any old thing to play COD Warzone, it's about people grabbing a USD$299 next gen console that has a monster library of games in its first year on the market. Am I right with that assessment? We'll find out in the new year if we see sustained demand for the XSS outside of the holidays.

Hoddi

Every once in a while you will get something like the Touryst but the PS5 doesn't even display that game at 8K. And even then one game wouldn't make it an 8K capable console.

If they limited their marketing to it can play movies at 8K I would be fine with it. But gaming is one heck of a stretch. The only reason why they have 8K on the box is due to the HDMI output but I still don't think it's correct.
Ya, but doesn't the S also support HDMI 2.1? I think it does.

DavidGzz

It does happen, it's pretty weird to me to be honest.

But there has definitely been threads and posts on this very forum about users getting impatient for a next gen console, purchasing something they don't really want and later regretting it.

Please tell me what is so bad about the S that would make someone regret a purchase. People are happy with game performance on the Switch, the S is many times more powerful, has faster loading times, better graphics, etc. for the same price. The series S is awesome and if there was a PS5 lite with the same power and price it would also be awesome.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Please tell me what is so bad about the S that would make someone regret a purchase. People are happy with game performance on the Switch, the S is many times more powerful, has faster loading times, better graphics, etc. for the same price. The series S is awesome and if there was a PS5 lite with the same power and price it would also be awesome.
Thinking that only the X is good and the S is trash is like saying people will only buy the 3090 and the 3070, and 3060 are trash.

They have different price points with different targets, most people here seem unable to compute that fact.

Everyone said the S was for the casuals, and now that it's the holiday season the casuals are buying it, as expected.

The bubble around here is real, rarely does this community reflect the actual opinion of the gaming community as a whole.

Last edited:

There are a number of titles that run at 1440p. I don't think there was anything wrong with calling it 1440p device anymore than the more expensive consoles being called 4K.

XSS hits 1440p as often as the XSX and PS5 hit 4k. They are said to be 4k capable machines. Why can't XSS be 1440p capable machines?
Perfectly said.

DaGwaphics

Well, these games are available on the last gen consoles that the casual audience already owns. In your opinion, why would these games specifically drive adoption of next gen consoles in the casual market?

Good point. Interest will surely increase further once major third party release start to miss the X1/PS4. Though I can see the 120fps modes highlighted drawing in some players that are competitive in those games but are still relatively casual gamers.

The bubble around here is real, rarely does this community reflect the actual opinion of the gaming community as a whole.

Holds true for almost all enthusiast boards on any subject. A lot more analysis than what is happening with typical consumers.

dcmk7

Banned
Use the search and ask them maybe.

It's not for everybody. No console ever is.

SkylineRKR

The last few games I played, like Scarlet Nexus, Psychonauts 2 are 1440p/60 on S. Forza 5 is too, provided you play 30fps. RE Village was 1440p/60 as well. I'd say its the same or more than actual native 4k PS5/XSX games.

Ya, but doesn't the S also support HDMI 2.1? I think it does.

Absolutely. Dolby Vision and VRR are in for example. Next to that there is Atmos. These are things my PS5 still won't pull off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom