• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most overrated game of the Generation

The most overrated game of the Generation

• The Witcher 3

Votes: 64 7.1%
  • Super Mario Odyssey

Votes: 26 2.9%
  • God of War

Votes: 41 4.6%
  • Red Dead Redemption 2

Votes: 105 11.7%
  • Resident Evil 2

Votes: 3 0.3%
  • Zela: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 135 15.1%
  • Hollow Knight

Votes: 15 1.7%
  • The Last of Us 2

Votes: 228 25.4%
  • Uncharted 4

Votes: 43 4.8%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 29 3.2%
  • Overwatch

Votes: 39 4.4%
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Votes: 15 1.7%
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Votes: 33 3.7%
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • Celeste

Votes: 16 1.8%
  • Monster Hunter: World

Votes: 9 1.0%
  • Persona 5

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • Inside

Votes: 9 1.0%
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Votes: 47 5.2%
  • Undertale

Votes: 18 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nico_D

Honestly, I feel the most of the 90+ AAA games I have played are overrated, I quite rarely find them as great as people and media say they are. Maybe my tastes just suck.

Anyway, God of War with its pretty typical game mechanics and double ending.

manfestival

Hmm this is tough and hard to pick one.
Hollow Knight has hype and praise through the roof. Just may be the most overrated game of the generation for me.
Honorable mentions:
Overwatch - the truest of GaaS games but its biggest redeeming factor was that I got the game new for $40 since that was the starting price point and at least Blizzard knew the game could not justify the full $60 at launch.
Bloodborne - I did really enjoy the game and this one is mostly a reaction to the "local" climate. People here hype this game to the moon. To the point where it becomes tiring.

Also, how dare yall include Divinity Original Sin 2 on that list. Definitely an underrated game.

Bodomism

Banned
Properly rated game - sales is very consistent after big launched number and doesn't need any big promotions or discounts to sell in long periods. Example BOTW and current price is $60 but still selling a million in every quarter.

Overrated game - Very frontloaded as many people were fooled by the critics and needs a big promotions or discounts or given away for free bundled with the system to stay relevant on the market.

So you're saying it's really great but people put ideology before good taste in media so lots of people are upset by it?

Lol maybe it's better to say some stories work better as their own thing in their own universe instead of pretending to be a continuation to established canon that already has a dedicate fanbase and lore?

Because that's really how I feel about TLJ and TLOU2: stories that are decent enough of their own merit, but fail because they disregard/disrespect the established lore, characters, plot etc. of prior entries in the same work simply to "subvert expectations".

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Breath of the wild by far. I even tried three times to push past the early game. The weapon breaking is just boring, the enemies are just dull, and the shrines are like a weird waste of time. Massive and open with barely any puzzle discovery. I really don't get the 'wonderment of discovery' either. It's like a massive snooker table at times when you look out.

Don't really/haven't played Hollow Knight/Overwatch/Sekiro/D:OS2/Inside/Undertale/TLOU II yet.

Lol maybe it's better to say some stories work better as their own thing in their own universe instead of pretending to be a continuation to established canon that already has a dedicate fanbase and lore?

Because that's really how I feel about TLJ and TLOU2: stories that are decent enough of their own volition but fail because they disregard/disrespect the established lore, characters, plot etc. of prior entries in the same work simply to "subvert expectations".

I mean, I love the prequels but those totally ruin the lore/continuity/characters and all of that. TLJ, to me, felt like it understood the spirit of films like Empire Strikes Back better than even Lucas did. With TLOU 2 I don't even know what people are talking about, it's basically just that
they believe in some weird made-up rule that main characters from prior entries must not be killed early
. It's especially weird to compare it to TLJ since TLJ gave Luke a send-off that arguably was incredibly respectful and reverent of the character, but then, it's Star Wars, it's for families whereas TLOU was always darker, more grim and aimed towards adults
in the original game the first character you play as dies, the point was to let you know no one is safe in that world and it wouldnt be like other games

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Harsh. I haven't played tlou2 yet... I'll wait until it's $20. Im going mostly blind but I don't have my hopes up.
I feel like it's the opposite of the Witcher 3. Plays great but the story kills the game.
Did you liked the gameplay from the first one? It's mostly the same but with (imho) a far worse story.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Out of that list, out of the ones I've played, it's Divinity: Original Sin 2, easily.

It's not even that the game was bad, But it's a 7 or 8 outa 10. Much better than Original Sin 1, but not even close to a 9 (almost perfect) game.

Persona 5, but for reasons you don't expect. I absolutely loved playing it, until I realised you can't save the bloody game until you reach a really, really far checkpoint. Otherwise you get sent back to the beginning of the level/dungeon.

Why do we still have poor PS1/PS2 mechanics in video games? Great if you have 5+ hours of game time every night, but if you barely get an hour a night - you'll never get to start the game properly, let alone finish it.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong - I want to play this game, but the saving functionality is horrendous.

DonF

Did you liked the gameplay from the first one? It's mostly the same but with (imho) a far worse story.
Yeah, I liked it a lot. Although I took the advice from this forum and turned off listen mode as soon as I booted the game. When I saw reviews after playing the game, I was confused about listen mode hahaha I never ever saw it.
My only issue with the first was the prevalence of ladders and pallets environmental puzzles and the "arenas" the game had. (You knew exacty when a fight was coming cause you entered a place with chest high walls and corridors). It was "too gamey". Other than that, goty for sure. I loved it.
I've seen the memes and Im pretty sure im going to hate the story of part 2. I've seen a lot of "yeah, i liked the game but im never playing it again" and I know that feeling. Some movies are like that and I think its not a good thing.

CitizenX

Banned
The whole list excluding Boodbourne and DO2. The rest are good but not memorable and the ones i played had a lot of flaws.

Last of us 2 - just wasn’t as good as it was proclaimed to be
And then Witcher 3 - I couldn’t get into the game AT ALL. Not for me.

surprised by the Botw haters I think that game is one of the goats

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yeah, I liked it a lot. Although I took the advice from this forum and turned off listen mode as soon as I booted the game. When I saw reviews after playing the game, I was confused about listen mode hahaha I never ever saw it.
My only issue with the first was the prevalence of ladders and pallets environmental puzzles and the "arenas" the game had. (You knew exacty when a fight was coming cause you entered a place with chest high walls and corridors). It was "too gamey". Other than that, goty for sure. I loved it.
I've seen the memes and Im pretty sure im going to hate the story of part 2. I've seen a lot of "yeah, i liked the game but im never playing it again" and I know that feeling. Some movies are like that and I think its not a good thing.
Mmmh well, the second one got rid of most of the ladders and arenas (or so I felt) so you should be fine in that regard. :)

Amiga

• Super Mario Odyssey
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Hollow Knight
  • The Last of Us 2
  • Uncharted 4
  • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2
  • Celeste
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  • Undertale

I'm kind of noticing a pattern here

also, all these games happen to have lower user scores so it's not just me

I mean, I love the prequels but those totally ruin the lore/continuity/characters and all of that. TLJ, to me, felt like it understood the spirit of films like Empire Strikes Back better than even Lucas did. With TLOU 2 I don't even know what people are talking about, it's basically just that
they believe in some weird made-up rule that main characters from prior entries must not be killed early
. It's especially weird to compare it to TLJ since TLJ gave Luke a send-off that arguably was incredibly respectful and reverent of the character, but then, it's Star Wars, it's for families whereas TLOU was always darker, more grim and aimed towards adults
in the original game the first character you play as dies, the point was to let you know no one is safe in that world and it wouldnt be like other games

Lol nah dude, we have to agree to disagree on this one seems like. I rewatched the SW prequels somewhat recently following the Disney sequels and seeing those two trilogies back-to-back the prequels are easily better IMHO. The big issue with the Disney SW films is that they don't feel like a cohesive trilogy. At all. Force Awakens sets up a lot of promising plot points and character dynamics, but then TLJ sweeps in and gets rid of almost all of those to forge its own path. Which, if it were a standalone film, wouldn't of been too big a problem. But that's just it: the problem is that it was part of a supposed trilogy, and it messed up the flow big time.

Rise of Skywalker felt like it tried placating to both TFA and TLJ crowds but pleased neither. It's just a jumbled mess of a finale with plot elements that violate established canon (like hyperspace lightspeed skipping), usurp the Skywalker lineage for the Palpatines (don't forget, Rey's technically a Palpatine going by the current canon now), and doesn't really flesh out some of its own plot points well. It's just a very dissatisfying conclusion to a botched trilogy.

The prequels, OTOH....yes I know some people have issues with the dialog. They think it's stilted. Personally I don't think the majority of the dialog is "stilted"; to me it felt like Lucas wanted to channel in some of the aspects of royalty Old English you'd get in theatrical plays from the Renaissance Era. For some select characters it comes off really badly but the majority of the cast? I think they pull it off well. It certainly helps with the setting and grounding you in it. Most people consider the 2nd film the weakest of the set and maybe it is, but I still say it's better than TLJ and RoS, maybe only losing somewhat to TFA. But Revenge of the Sith? Destroys the entire Disney sequel trilogy in my honest opinion. Does such a great job of coming through on Anakin's downfall and turn to the darkside, several badass moments, and character progression that feels earned. Plus it capitalizes off of what the first two films introduced very strongly, so it makes the trilogy feel cohesive and feel like an actual trilogy. That's something I'll never say for the Disney sequels.

As for TLJ's send-off for Luke...just...no. That wasn't a send-off. The entire film desecrated his character, similar to how TLOU2 desecrates Joel's character. Both stories make the respective characters very antithetical to their known personality, intellect, morals & values simply to shock and surprise the audience and act as a disingenuous vehicle for driving the plot forward. What they did to Luke and Joel feels cheap, plain and simple. I could compare Joel's death more to Glenn's in The Walking Dead if you'd like, which was also another cheap event IMHO and while faithful to the comic, was just done in poor taste on the show considering Glenn in the show had a VERY different personality to Glenn from the comic and therefore in narrative terms didn't feel like he was "evil" enough to merit that brutal a death in the TV show (this is just my own feelings on it, but maybe there are others who felt similar).

Luke arguably doesn't get done right until Rise of Skywalker and even there it's not exactly superbly well-done, nor does it completely make up for what they did to him in TLJ. I guess you can compare this to how TLOU2 tries to build on Joel and Ellie's relationship with flashbacks after what happens early on in the game, but none of that really makes up for how the game contrives him to be dumbed-down enough to be put into that situation in the first place. It also doesn't help that the game emotionally manipulates the player through contriving happenstances with the perpetrator of Joel's trauma, to make said perpetrator seem more morally righteous but doing so in a cheap way (i.e instead of appearing genuinely morally righteous, they only SEEM more morally righteous since the game forces other characters like Ellie to be very morally ambiguous or outright evil in instances by comparison, and does so by making them very out-of-character).

Fortnite: Not in the list, but I just don’t know what casual ms see in this game.

MGS5: Don’t get me wrong, it was good, but I’m not sure how it received perfect scores and why so many people call it the best MGS ever. Very repetitive mission design, incomplete game, side missions are even more repetitive, very little cutscenes, bosses weren’t near as memorable, empty open world wasn’t necessary or added anything to the game, way too long, etc. The few linear parts in MSG5 were the best parts for me. Again it was a good game, but it just wasn’t Metal Gear to me. I’ve said it before, but it’s a 10 hour game stretched out to a 50 hour game.

Last edited:

PapyDoc

Breath of the Wild. It's been overrated by both critics and users. TLOU2 is only applicable to critic scores and got review-bombed by users.
Well something overrated is overrated because of the critic not the users.
Don't say your opinion don't matter, BOTW is a very divisive game, I like it, but I can understand the hate around it. People, the mass,, the users can't overrated or underrated something, they are too many people rating it to say the users make a mistake on a rating, favorably or not. If you are not agreeing with the users, you just have your opinion like other people who give a good or bad score to something.
And I will repeat and make myself clear it's not a bad thing, for example, I do not like Zelda 3 and OOT, but that's on me, and do not think people are wrong to praise these 2 games. And yes, TLOU2 is overrated, the difference in rating between the critic and the user is too wide, even for a game bombed.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Bore of the wild by a long shot.

Uncherted 4 second place.

I can't even be mad at animal crossing being in that list, it's probably a great game for girls, casual players, childs and furries even if i can't understand how it can score more than 5/100...

Last edited:
I’m honestly wondering if TLOU2 should even be on the poll considering half of the world’s population and gamers ruthlessly and mercilessly hate on that game 24/7 while most other games on the poll receive or received praised endlessly by gamers and reviewers even to this day.

dcx4610

I liked every single one listed. There's a reason why they are highly related. They are either different or extremely well made. If I had to choose, MGS5 should have been a Peace Walker game and not a main series entry. It had virtually nothing to do with the main story and was the first one where the story was too far out there for me to enjoy. Gameplay wise it was great but I still didn't like it being mission based, open world and base building over a linear story.

Bridges

Pretty much all the poll options I've actually played I ended up thoroughly enjoying except Hollow Knight, but that's more on me just being bad at most Metroidvanias.

I did play the Uncharted 1 Remaster this gen though and was pretty surprised that the series became as acclaimed as it did, especially after trying to play the Uncharted 2 Remaster and realizing it was hardly different from the first.

I was hoping BOTW would go on sale for $30 again for Black Friday. You guys are making me feel like maybe I should just skip it entirely.
Breath of the Wild is a great game. But it does feel like the bones of what could be an amazing game. The mechanics are great. The map is pretty great. Everything feels really good and the game is fun. But the towns are lacking. There are no characters I really care about. Obviously the dungeons aren’t there.

It’s definitely worth playing and I really enjoyed it. But it’s not the best game ever. I think it’s almost too big. Some of the small things that make Zelda so special get lost.

Bkdk

In terms of critic review it’s certainly last of us2. RDR2 and God of war are honorable mentions as well. There are still so many weird failed mission state in RDR2, the open world is breathtaking, the mission gameplay plus controls is certainly not very enjoyable.

As for god of war I don’t really enjoy the characters and story that much.

As for god of war,

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Extract the Legendary Gunsmith
Extract the Legendary Gunsmith Again
Extract the Legendary Gunsmith Yet Again

These are actual MGSV missions with their actual names.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Extract the Legendary Gunsmith
Extract the Legendary Gunsmith Again
Extract the Legendary Gunsmith Yet Again

These are actual MGSV missions with their actual names.

That's OK.

At least Kojima wasn't content with doing what TLoU2 did in terms of gameplay.

And gameplay is king.

Yoboman

Pretty much all the poll options I've actually played I ended up thoroughly enjoying except Hollow Knight, but that's more on me just being bad at most Metroidvanias.

I did play the Uncharted 1 Remaster this gen though and was pretty surprised that the series became as acclaimed as it did, especially after trying to play the Uncharted 2 Remaster and realizing it was hardly different from the first.
Why does anyone think their opinion on a decade old game is the same it would have been at release?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
That's OK.

At least Kojima wasn't content with doing what TLoU2 did in terms of gameplay.

And gameplay is king.

I'll give MGSV credit for at least having side missions, like the old games. MGS1 and MGS2 both provided hundreds of extra VR levels. Even the Gameboy game did! MGS3 and MGS4 ditched all that.

brenobnfm

Voted BotW but it's a tie with God of War, 2 absolutely mediocre 6/10 games sweeping the GOTYs when much superior games were released those years.

absolutely RDR2, absolute garbage that game... like, I think games like Uncharted 4 or TLOU2 are 7/10 games at best, but RDR2 is a game that gets 9/10 or even 10/10 scores while IMO deserving less than 5/10. I would rate it a 4/10, and only that high because the interaction system is a neat little idea and the graphics are ridiculous, everything else in that game is a hot steaming pile of shit tho

It was the most predictable and boring story and gameplay of this generation. The world lighting and environmental (everything other than gunshots) sound design were great though.

mcjmetroid

I voted for God of War, I just don’t think the game is that great, in any way. It’s perfectly good but that’s about it.
It's old school game about gameplay. I'm not surprised people who enjoy "cinematics experiences" don't like it.

No offense

Last edited:
Top Bottom