• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Gear series has now sold over 60 million copies

Draugoth

Gold Member
mgs2-snake.jpg

The Metal Gear series has topped 60 million sales.

That's according to a new update posted on the official Konami website which reveals that the revered stealth series – which launched in 1987 – hit the milestone in the run up to June 2023.

As spotted by VGChartz, that's compared with 57.7m units sold in September 2021, and 59.3m units sold back in November 2022, intimating that 700,000 Metal Gear games have been sold in the last seven months alone... even though the series hasn't published a new mainline title since 2018.

Vandole

And I haven't contributed to this number in any way, shape, or form.

Metal Gear always been that series that I say, "I really need to play this one of these days". But I think at this point, I'm just going to leave it that way.

Well deserved. My all time favorite franchise and the series that continued my passion for gaming beyond childhood. Unfortunate circumstances under which the series capped out Kojima but grateful for each one ♥️

lachesis

I actually liked original Metal Gear on MSX, to be honest. A lot of backtracking and all - but the whole concept felt much fresher. Limited ammos, hide and seek and very clever gadgets and trap layouts for that era.

Red5

How can Konami look at these numbers and not greenlight a title to title remake of the whole series like Capcom is doing with Resident Evil?

I could never really get into this series. The only one I ever finished from start to end was MGS4. Played a bit of 5 and that was it. Never understood what's so special about it but grats on the sales.

Last edited:

GooseMan69

I’ve only played 2, 3, and 5. Can’t wait to play 1 when the collection comes out. And I’ve been waiting to play 4 forever. I never owned a PS3 so I never got to play it.

SkylineRKR

Twin Snakes was horrible to me. The first person view and tranq gun broke the game, I think. But I didn't like the cutscenes, it was too far off from actual gameplay. Music remix wasn't good too. For the rest they don't even play that differently. Also didn't help MGS2 played better and was already old by then.

My favourites are 2 and 3 Subsistence.

Mr Hyde

How do you feel about Twin Snakes remake and Snake Eater prequel? More specifically, what do you find to be inferior about them?

Twin Snakes didn't do anything for me. A pretty bad remake overall, and aside from graphics it was two steps back with too many unnecessary changes to the original. Snake Eater was a step in the right direction, especially since I hated Sons of Liberty, but it was plagued by bad controls (which was apparently fixed in Subsistence) and Kojimas writing and directing was so bad and contrived I just noped out. I gave MGS one last chance with Guns of the Patriots but I found it equally bad, if not worse, than everything that came before it. 2 minutes of gameplay and 30 minutes of cut scenes is nothing for me.

Top Bottom