• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Medium Review Thread

skit_data

The dude literally has an Xbox only podcast and is pretty objective for the most part, especially compared to lots of other focused personalities.
Defining Duke seem to be one the better gaming podcasts if Sacred Symbols is anything to go by. I will probably start listening to it despite not even owning an Xbox.

Papacheeks

Banned
When you looking at your $1 dollar like "did I make the right investment?".... jk jk..

lol, I mean im glad i got three free months im going to use it for sure. Going to try out medium tonight. Trying to finish Carrion, and I might start up the gears 5 dlc.

But i would not have paid $14.99 just to play Carrion, gears 5 dlc or medium is my point.

Carrion is a indie game that was on sale during holidays. Gears 5 i bought on steam for $9.99, and will wait for dlc to go down to own that since it's 3 hours for $20. If you have gamepass on console your getting a way better experience than you are on pc.

They still dont have the EA play games on there still, and only yakuza games are the older ones that were on steam for $4.99 each during their sales. I also already own them on PS4.

I mean if im paying nothing for this sub then yea its great. But until games come that really blow me away it's been a mixed bag in my experience.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
You don't understand how that club runs... even someone like Ryan Mccaffrey was considered a traitor. The purity test is high.

Honestly it's a joke.

In the thread where it was announced that Karak was going to get involved in that podcast there was one guy saying he doesn't think Karak is a big enough fan to get involved in something like that and how it's a problem because he doesn't adopt the "siege mentality" required for such a role.

Last edited:

skneogaf

Wow, dude. literally need to take a step back and get off the internet, Karak has built himself a great community with ACG , guy works his ass off to do his own reviews that most of the time is just all him.

Like wtf?

Just because he's knocking a game that is on gamepass doesn't mean he's doing it to offend your console warring honor. He has gamepass and is a big xbox guy who now has a xbox podcast at Last stand media.

Some people jesus.

He's obviously not given the game a chance to be so different than every other review I've seen.

Whoever he/she/they are I'm not interested in their work.

#useless

Fake

Is this a joke post?

Gamespot accurate and honest?

source.gif

Hope so.

Honestly it's a joke.

In the thread where it was announced that Karak was going to get involved in that podcast there was one guy saying he doesn't think Karak is a big enough fan to get involved in something like that and how it's a problem because he doesn't adopt the "siege mentality" required for such a role.
Folks think it's a joke but it ain't.

Last edited:

Raekwon26

Honestly it's a joke.

No idea why I laughed at this tbh.

That is the rambling of a mad man.

Gamers would be much happier with their video games if they stopped following the reviews as a trend in their future purchases and experiences.

let's try to go back to the 90s and 80s and talk with friends about the personal experiences we have with them, like it or not, personal analysis.
Although there were reviews in the past, but they meant nothing.

Cases like the God Hand and CyberPunk make us believe how bought and disloyal is the specialized media.

Did you like what you saw? Play it! this is how it should be, stop relying on reviews once and for all!

(Sorry my poor english)

I'm going to go and experience this. Thing with reviews is those shat on Days Gone, but I enjoyed it. Soooo we will see how this turns out.

Papacheeks

Banned
He's obviously not given the game a chance to be so different than every other review I've seen.

Whoever he/she/they are I'm not interested in their work.

#useless

Dude Karak is on a xbox gaming podcast and it's really fucking good. Better than Kinda funny who literally seem to have a hard time being negative on xbox when something isn't great. Karak tries to be as unbiased as he can. Honestly his reviews on games are really well done. literally gives you a breakdown of gameplay, and what your getting at full price and if you should buy it or wait for a sale.

Thats honesty that no one from IGN will give you for the most part. Those companies like ign, gamespot have promotions still with company's. So a lot of the times people cant say " wait for a sale".

Hope to god you stay away from Last stand media podcasts.

Sounds like your really butthurt over someones "Opinion" on a game that looked fairly average from the get go.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Man i started scrolling down the reviews with a shocked face lol, then they started going lower.
Well people making the same tiresome jokes about Gamepass, but this is actually a perfect example of where Gamepass comes into its own. A seemingly average game, that you would still like to try, but dont want to spend full price on doing it.
Playing tomorrow.

Last edited:
Gamers would be much happier with their video games if they stopped following the reviews as a trend in their future purchases and experiences.

let's try to go back to the 90s and 80s and talk with friends about the personal experiences we have with them, like it or not, personal analysis.

Cases like the God Hand and CyberPunk make us believe how bought and disloyal is the specialized media.

Did you like what you saw? Play it! this is how it should be, stop relying on reviews once and for all!

(Sorry my poor english)

Yeah like any of us degenerates even have friends

Karak

With how different your review is from just the text you wrote in comparison to the rest that gave been posted I'm glad I don't know who you are or care about your reviews.
While this will of course be a great loss to the art world, I am sure somehow I will muddle through with my opinion not aligning with someone so obviously well endowed with Mensa level IQ such as yourself.

Another thing about the divisive reviews some of you are seeing. One thing to remember that I brought up on the international podcast is that many reviewers aren't reporting bugs, tech issues, nor even know how to report them or judge actual performance. That's not a slight on them, many are pretty open about it. Or that they don't listen to the music at all and just listen to podcasts while playing. All that can go into a reviews context and score.
So they may take terrible perf as if it means nothing. Like the Mediums texture popin and frame judder.
So the context of what they take in and put into their score is important.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Haven’t seen a spread this wide in review scores in a while. It had my eye, and it’s on Gamepass, so I’ll still give it a whirl. If it’s real bad I won’t bother finishing it.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
While this will of course be a great loss to the art world, I am sure somehow I will muddle through with my opinion not aligning with someone so obviously well endowed with Mensa level IQ such as yourself.

Another thing about the divisive reviews some of you are seeing. One thing to remember that I brought up on the international podcast is that many reviewers aren't reporting bugs, tech issues, nor even know how to report them or judge actual performance. That's not a slight on them, many are pretty open about it. Or that they don't listen to the music at all and just listen to podcasts while playing. All that can go into a reviews context and score.
So they may take terrible perf as if it means nothing. Like the Mediums texture popin and frame judder.
So the context of what they take in and put into their score is important.
Thank you for your service here : ) Great review, however I still have a feeling, I will like it : )

Karak

Thank you for your service here : ) Great review, however I still have a feeling, I will like it : )
Hope so. No one other than game fans want a game to be bad. Devs don't wake up and go "MAAAAN lets fuck this one up" lol.
The best part about reviews is forwarned. Then as you play you might find yourself thinking, AH ok I remember someone saying to watch out for this, and it changes the context of your own experience

LostDonkey

The best part about gamepass is really this. Lots of games you might think, man I can't buy this, but then you see it there and you can experience it. Its such an amazing deal.

I just experienced this with Edith finch.

Never would have bought it in a million years but I played it because it was on gamepass and it was a really cool experience. will definitely look out for future games from them now.

AmateurPong

(Sorry my poor english)

Truth. I stopped putting stock in these gaming marketer scores a while back. Reading feedback online from a variety of different places is a better way to gauge whether or not a game appeals to me. It seems half the time the people reviewing either dislike the genre or fail to play it properly to do it justice.

Regarding this...opinions seem mixed, but it's cool I'll be able to play it for free tomorrow and make my own opinion on it.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Hope so. No one other than game fans want a game to be bad. Devs don't wake up and go "MAAAAN lets fuck this one up" lol.
The best part about reviews is forwarned. Then as you play you might find yourself thinking, AH ok I remember someone saying to watch out for this, and it changes the context of your own experience
I watched your review for Observer and it seems like it's a better game in context of your view on games. I really liked Observer and somewhat hoped that this game would be on that level.

I totally love watching reviews of the games I know that they are great, it's so satisfying. Not sure if I am somewhat demeted...

Thirty7ven

Banned
Notes from 10 to 3. It has no sense. The review system is completely broken.

Sure it does. Some people just have questionable taste.

Considering this games lives and dies by its writing, and that none of the material out there for this game shows good writing, high score reviews says a lot about who’s reviewing.

Self

Man i started scrolling down the reviews with a shocked face lol, then they started going lower.
Well people making the same tiresome jokes about Gamepass, but this is actually a perfect example of where Gamepass comes into its own. A seemingly average game, that you would still like to try, but dont want to spend full price on doing it.
Playing tomorrow.

Can't agree more. Perfect example of gamepass beeing a worthwhile service. I wouldn't risk burning 50 bucks for it, but here we are, able to test the game with minimal risk.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
The average is fine, the std dev of the scores is huge. Either way not a great start for the first xbox next gen exclusive. Good thing no one will buy it, they will download it on GP and then ignore it as they play BC titles.

Karak

Will judge that myself, its included in gamepass, so there is no risk of wasting money.
EXACTLY. Best part
I watched your review for Observer and it seems like it's a better game in context of your view on games. I really liked Observer and somewhat hoped that this game would be on that level.

I totally love watching reviews of the games I know that they are great, it's so satisfying. Not sure if I am somewhat demeted...
Observer was more interesting

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Bloober games have outstanding presentation and a clear love of horror but its game mechanics (and sometimes writting) simply leave a lot to be desired, reviews seem fair its getting decent scores good one for GamePass

skneogaf

Dude Karak is on a xbox gaming podcast and it's really fucking good. Better than Kinda funny who literally seem to have a hard time being negative on xbox when something isn't great. Karak tries to be as unbiased as he can. Honestly his reviews on games are really well done. literally gives you a breakdown of gameplay, and what your getting at full price and if you should buy it or wait for a sale.

Thats honesty that no one from IGN will give you for the most part. Those companies like ign, gamespot have promotions still with company's. So a lot of the times people cant say " wait for a sale".

Hope to god you stay away from Last stand media podcasts.

Sounds like your really butthurt over someones "Opinion" on a game that looked fairly average from the get go.

Why do you keep mentioning words like unbiased etc? I have only stated their review is garbage.

I am unbiased in my opinion of reviews and my unbiased opinion is that the review by they/them is not good.

Also the podcasts you're mentioning are not something I've ever heard of so I'm more than confident I won't go and listen to them.

Top Bottom