• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Medium - PS5 Gameplay

rubhen925

OK..... so this game is a mixed bag on the PS5 port. Played it last night and man was I surprised. Here's some info:

- PS5 install size is 26.13 GB
- the game has no modes. Only one mode which is dynamic 4K and 30FPS. But honestly during, dual reality moments the resolution dips a lot. Need confirmation from DF or VG Tech on the exact pixel count
- Loading times are almost twice as much as the Xbox version. This is super surprising as the PS5 SSD usually helps with the loading times on most games. I guess this one isn't optimized.
- FPS is 30 and is consistent most of the time. Has some dips here and there during dual reality moments.
- No Ray Tracing and some shadows missing from xbox version
- No option for HDR. Using the PS5 HDR settings for my TV. Captured with those settings as well.
- You'd think with no Ray tracing they could have pushed for full 4K or atleast give us 60FPS...
- Dualsense implementation is great. Haptic feedback on the triggers are a nice touch, especially when using the spirit abilities.
- The vibrations are nuts with this game, especially when traversing the spirit reality.
- now later in the game when a lot of things are happening in the spirit world I noticed some screen tearing. Happened a couple times.
- Brightness in this game is super sensitive. From default raising or lowering can either make is super bleached looking or super dark. I had to adjust it several times when going between dark & light areas.
- you can use gyroscopic aiming in the spirit mode which is a nice use of the controller.

If there's more I'll update the thread. Cheers.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
OK..... so this game is a mixed bag on the PS5 port. Played it last night and man was I surprised. Here's some info:

- PS5 install size is 26.13 GB
- the game has no modes. Only one mode which is dynamic 4K and 30FPS. But honestly during, dual reality moments the resolution dips a lot. Need confirmation from DF or VG Tech on the exact pixel count
- Loading times are almost twice as much as the Xbox version. This is super surprising as the PS5 SSD usually helps with the loading times on most games. I guess this one isn't optimized.
- FPS is 30 and is consistent most of the time. Has some dips here and there during dual reality moments.
- No Ray Tracing and some shadows missing from xbox version
- No option for HDR. Using the PS5 HDR settings for my TV. Captured with those settings as well.
- You'd think with no Ray tracing they could have pushed for full 4K or atleast give us 60FPS...
- Dualsense implementation is great. Haptic feedback on the triggers are a nice touch, especially when using the spirit abilities.
- The vibrations are nuts with this game, especially when traversing the spirit reality.
- now later in the game when a lot of things are happening in the spirit world I noticed some screen tearing. Happened a couple times.
- Brightness in this game is super sensitive. From default raising or lowering can either make is super bleached looking or super dark. I had to adjust it several times when going between dark & light areas.
- you can use gyroscopic aiming in the spirit mode which is a nice use of the controller.

If there's more I'll update the thread. Cheers.

Raytracing omission seems was unintentional confirmed via Twitter by the developers they are working on it. I haven't noticed any difference in the shadows setting personally. Maybe you mean the difference in the brightness/use of the lighting?

Last edited:

rubhen925

Raytracing omission seems was unintentional confirmed via Twitter by the developers they are working on it. I haven't noticed any difference in the shadows setting personally. Maybe you mean the difference in the brightness/use of the lighting?
I played the series x and pc versions at launch. Some shadows are missing. I'll see if i can make a comparison video. How did they omit ray tracing lol. I guess getting it in a later patch would be fine.

assurdum

Banned
I played the series x and pc versions at launch. Some shadows are missing. I'll see if i can make a comparison video. How did they omit ray tracing lol. I guess getting it in a later patch would be fine.
That's a news to me. From the video I seen there isn't any difference in shadows. The brightness and the lighting indeed would seem changed. About they raytracing that's what they said. Seems UE4 cause issue between SSR and raytracing setting, it happened on series X with LN2, thought it was Series S the cause, indeed seems something of weird in general with UE4 and raytracing setting on console.

Last edited:

rubhen925

Do people even test any more? Seems like missing RT is something someone would notice.
The funny thing is, isn't there an option to turn off ray tracing on the xbox and pc. So they had to remove it intentionally or the option wouldn't be missing no?

sncvsrtoip

they should leave it as it is, rt is very subtle in this game so I would prefer higher res on ps5 than drops under 900p

The funny thing is, isn't there an option to turn off ray tracing on the xbox and pc. So they had to remove it intentionally or the option wouldn't be missing no?
This is not the first time Bloober Team does something like this, for some reason Observer System Redux had a RT toggle and XSX didn't, but XSX had a 4K toggle and PS5 didn't.
I think it was addressed later in a patch but still, they did that, lol.

assurdum

Banned
nah rt is always demanding even when subtle on rdna2, you have resolution drops under 900p on xsx, prepare for even bigger when they enable it on ps5
The reason because the game lower the resolution via DRS it's not raytracing. It's well explained in the DF video what's real taxing. The use of raytracing in this game seems very minimal to me on console. WD2 runs with the higher setting in the raytracing mode on console and it's 1440p 30 FPS. What is really taxing is GI via raytracing or full raytracing not surely sparse raytracing reflections.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

The reason because the game lower the resolution via DRS it's not raytracing. It's well explained in the DF video what's real taxing. The use of raytracing in this game seems very minimal to me on console. WD2 runs with the higher setting in the raytracing mode on console and it's 1440p 30 FPS. What is really taxing is GI via raytracing or full raytracing not surely sparse raytracing reflections.
bloober is not top notch technical studio, I wouldn't be suprised if they rt implementation is quite taxing

assurdum

Banned
bloober is not top notch technical studio, I wouldn't be suprised if they rt implementation is quite taxing
There aren't different raytracing implementation via hardware. Doubt it's a software solution. It doesn't exist a "more taxing" implementation.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

There aren't different raytracing implementation via hardware. Doubt it's a software solution. It doesn't exist a "more taxing" implementation.
Yes it is, for example insomniac optimized they rt approach and thats why there is rt perf mode(this mode was added in the end of game development) also they later increased quality of rt rays keeping same perf

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Yes it is, for example insomniac optimized they rt approach and thats why there is rt perf mode(this mode was added in the end of game development) also they later increased quality of rt rays keeping same perf
Optimized doesn't means they have changed the raytracing implementation. The only difference in raytracing implementation is between Nvidia and AMD method, but optimize doesn't means they have changed how it works.

sncvsrtoip

Optimized doesn't means they have changed the raytracing implementation. The only difference in raytracing implementation is between Nvidia and AMD method, but optimize doesn't means they have changed how it works.
Hehe call as you want, you are talkinng about hw Im talking about software and its obvious you are wrong if you dont think different studios can have worse or better rt implementation in their games (there are tones of tricks and optimalization they can use or not)

Fredrik

So there it is - a game existing on two consoles, but never worth playing on either one.
Where does this negativity come from? Go back and read the OT, lots of people enjoyed it at launch, it hasn’t become worse in half a year. Should’ve been a PS+ release though to maximize the reach.

It’s got a very positive tag after over 4000 reviews on Steam, bombings included, sitting at 88% all time score, 92% in recent reviews. For those who like old school Silent Hill it’s a nice game with some fresh ideas. Once you meet the maw you’ll know if you want to finish it or not, for me that was the hooked point, before that it was kinda meh.

Last edited:

Lysandros

nah rt is always demanding even when subtle on rdna2, you have resolution drops under 900p on xsx, prepare for even bigger when they enable it on ps5
How do you know that without knowing how their specific RT implementation will suit the PS5 architecture?

Lysandros

It could be surprise but generaly we know xsx gpu is around 20% faster and usualy has slight higher dynamic res in games
XSX' GPU isn't 20% faster. It's even more usual to have resolution parity in third party games than not, it could even be one of those cases where PS5 has an actual slight resolution advantage like it happened in the past.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
9JZGAkp.png
GF8PVWQ.png

Bloober Team​

Games by this company: 2
Average userscore: N/A%
Average metascore: 78%
Average playtime: 00:00
Total copies owned: 832,000
Average price: $49.99

Bloober Team SA​

Games by this company: 10
Average userscore: N/A%
Average metascore: 72.25%
Average playtime: 00:00
Total copies owned: 4,204,000
Average price
: $20.43

No Way What GIF

Last edited:

fersnake

was specting fastest to xbox. but hey it was an xbox exclusive so what are you going to expect.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Guess Blooper didn't use the "Rift Apart" method.. Running both worlds simultaneously is just stupid, when the PS5 I/O can easily handle the bandwidth for loading each instantly.

Last edited:
Guess Blooper didn't use the "Rift Apart" method.. Running both worlds simultaneously is just stupid, when the PS5 I/O can easily handle the bandwidth for loading each instantly.

I'm not sure about that. Some of the transitions in the Medium are extremely quick. I don't know if it's possible to do an SSD swap with them. I mean I understand why they did it but I think going a tiny bit slower and using the SSD would be better.

onesvenus

That would obviously work when you have the two worlds side by side :rolleyes:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Ok my first impression as I play is.. this is just an empty lifeless world, really really I have 0 interest to keep going through out this game!

It has a potential to be as good as Silent Hill or alone in the dark but wow this is boring

Ok my first impression as I play is.. this is just an empty lifeless world, really really I have 0 interest to keep going through out this game!

It has a potential to be as good as Silent Hill or alone in the dark but wow this is boring
Stick with it Mon Capitan, it's a slow burner that will suck you in the more you play.

MonarchJT

Banned
XSX' GPU isn't 20% faster. It's even more usual to have resolution parity in third party games than not, it could even be one of those cases where PS5 has an actual slight resolution advantage like it happened in the past.
is well know and objectively true that the xsx GPU is more powerful ..recent release see a pattern where the xsx have a substantial advantage in resolution....this game is really heavy when is dual rendering and not so much optimized is very likely that the res will be lower than xsx VERY VERY likely
stop already with the fud

Last edited:
Top Bottom