• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Medium |OT| Silent Hells

Finished it today. Short summary:

I give it a 7.8 out of 10. Good game. My main issue is with performance quirks on a powerful PC, otherwise I really don't have too many gripes with the game itself.

I think the dual-screen segments are a little more miss than hit, but I get what are going for. The puzzles are designed around the screen layout, though I would prefer just a full switch back and forth, like in that chapter of Titanfall 2.

I think it looks great and has amazing audio.

I am kind of a wuss when it comes to jump scares so I am actually glad that it doesn't rely on too many of them.

It sounds like this game is doing well in sales. Hopefully they can use the money to expand a bit and go a little bigger with their next game. There is definitely talent here.

Exentryk

Story has gotten more interesting with this Richard arc.

yFtUfzk.jpg

Last edited:

Turnstyle

Finished this last night. Definitely an odd one. It feels very old school in places, with all the positives and negatives that brings with it.

Performance was all over the place, but tbf I was playing it unpatched, so maybe it's better now.

Game was very short, which isn't an issue in itself, as I actually prefer shorter games these days,, but it felt like it had just got going, then it ended. The last big puzzle was the most interesting in the game, would have been nice to see a few more head scratchers.

To me the game felt like a 2000s point and click game mixed with old school silent hill. Enjoyed it for the most part, but can't shake the feeling that it feels like a proof of concept, and that a sequel would really shine if it ran better, was longer, and the gameplay offered a little more depth.

Calverz

So finished the game. Achivement said only 5% of gamers have finished. To be expected as just launched.
Enjoyed it for what it was. A walking simulator. But has just left me longing for a new fixed camera angle silent hill or resident evil.
Performance towards the end on the series s was abysmal. Had a hard crash once and fps often dipped in low 20’s. Maybe even 10’s. Ending was a little disappointing

I just got to the play room, story seems kind of meh so far. Does it pick up from here? Some of it was strong, others very weak.

Love the atmosphere though.

TheMooMan

Banned
I just got to the play room, story seems kind of meh so far. Does it pick up from here? Some of it was strong, others very weak.

Give it another hour. If the story doesn't grab you after that, drop it.

That's where it's really pulled me in :)

Moogle11

Banned

It does start to pick up around that part. It’s not a dramatic improvement though so if you aren’t feeling it I’m not sure that will change. But it is around that part and after you start learning more about some other involved characters.

yurqqa

Damn.
I saw the trailer, read something here on the forum and although I have a gamepass, I almost decided to skip it - bad performance, boring gameplay.

And then I tried it today. People, it's an adventure game (aka "quest") !!!
And I grew up on adventures - Kyrandia, Fate of Atlantis, Monkey Island, Grim Fandango later.

Shit. It doesn't matter if it's 30 fps. No action - of course there's no action.
What's wrong with you ? It's an adventure game !
I get Still Life vibes from it and I like it.

And lately we mostly got retro or cartoon graphics in adventure games - this one is beautiful.

I'm glad I tried it.

Moogle11

Banned
Damn.
I saw the trailer, read something here on the forum and although I have a gamepass, I almost decided to skip it - bad performance, boring gameplay.

And then I tried it today. People, it's an adventure game (aka "quest") !!!
And I grew up on adventures - Kyrandia, Fate of Atlantis, Monkey Island, Grim Fandango later.

Shit. It doesn't matter if it's 30 fps. No action - of course there's no action.
What's wrong with you ? It's an adventure game !

And lately we mostly got retro or cartoon graphics in adventure games - this one is beautiful.

I'm glad I tried it.

Agree with all of this.

It’s just a game that got too big a spotlight and has gotten more criticism than it deserved as a result. Part is their own fault as they marketed it in a way that made it seem like a Silent Hills/Resident Evil type game when it’s an adventure game with no combat. They’re probably fine with that as the adventure genre is more niche and selling more copies with more disappointed gamers is better for the bottom line than selling fewer copies to a larger percentage of satisfied gamers.

But a big part of it is it just got put in the console war spotlight as the first Xbox Series X|S console exclusive. It’s a lower budget ($7 million IIRC) AA game and not some AAA game meant to be a big launch window game. It’s not their fault that MS chose to launch there no consoles with no new games, not even a big cross gen exclusive with a better next gen version like Miles Morales etc. So it’s getting a lot of scrutiny from the numb nuts console warriors since the first Series exclusive is an AA game with AA budget graphics etc.

Igoring all that, it’s a solid 8/10 game for what it is. For me that’s a nice little experience to play through once via Gamepass and never think about again until when a sequel is upcoming. I’d be disappointed if I bought it and disappointed if I’d bought a Series X expecting exclusives and got an AA game as the first one two months later. But I make informed decisions so I knew this was a game to just play on Gamepass and I bought my XSX knowing it would probably be 2022 and beyond before there were any true exclusivets that were must plays for me. I bought it as a Gamepass machine as I abandoned PC gaming and it didn’t make sense to me to buy a 1X in this day and age and with having finally gotten a 4K TV and wanting a console to take full advantage of it.

Further into the game now (still fairly early I'm assuming) just finished the 2nd photo development puzzle and 1st chase sequence. I'm liking the game a lot so far, especially as the mystery is beginning to ramp up with the latest scenes reveal. I like that Marianne has a lighter side in her interactions with Sadness while still realistically reacting to some of the more shocking events. It gives her character some depth and nails the sense that she's experienced at dealing with the spirit world.

I do think this game could easily jump up a full point higher if the devs weren't so committed to very simplistic puzzle design. They don't need to be mind-benders but too many of the interactions have boiled down to me using the one item in my inventory a few steps away from where I found it. Some of the puzzles are more creative, though, like the ones that involve using your powers. Or the one with the clock I just did, which had very nice presentation as well. It helps to turn tool tips off, because with a game this easy you really don't need a prompt telling you exactly when to use each ability on top of it. I like adventure games that incorporate powers in their puzzle mechanics like Life is Strange, Unavowed or Whispers of a Machine.

Liking it more as it goes on so far. Looking forward to diving back in and playing more later tonight.

Totally agree, the vibes of this game are straight out of Microids catalogue circa mid 00's (Syberia, Still Life, Post Mortem) but instead of baking cakes while solving a mystery, you're developing photos :)

Agree with all of this.

It’s just a game that got too big a spotlight and has gotten more criticism than it deserved as a result. Part is their own fault as they marketed it in a way that made it seem like a Silent Hills/Resident Evil type game when it’s an adventure game with no combat. They’re probably fine with that as the adventure genre is more niche and selling more copies with more disappointed gamers is better for the bottom line than selling fewer copies to a larger percentage of satisfied gamers.

Yeah, that was likely the thinking behind it. We'll never have the 1:1 comparison but it seems short sighted to me. I'd think you wouldn't want people feeling like they were mislead and having that be associated with your studio. Especially when you could very realistically market this game to fans of Detroit, Life is Strange, Unavowed, Dark Pictures, etc. Detroit just surpassed 5 million so idk if its a harder audience to tap into, but it's there.

In any case I just hope more people end up liking the game than not because it seems genuinely good and a lot of the negative reaction you read is people going "I thought this was going to be Silent Hill and its an adventure game instead"

Last edited:
I am FINE with admitting I am wrong but what I am actually pointing out now is that we've been inaccurately calling RE games as having 'tank' controls. I just played all the games I mentioned and controlled the character and I did not have to: "...stop completely before turning".

If I can find my Elgato, I will record comparison videos for you guys to prove my point. Not that it matters.

You're giving my brain AIDS. I've played RE and DC many times. They ARE tank controls regardless of whether you don't have to "stop completely before turning". Do you think a tank has to stop to allow it to turn?

No need to record any footage. We get how it controls. Push up to move the character forward and push left or right to rotate the character left or right regardless of any camera angle. The Medium doesn't control like that.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
Yeah, that was likely the thinking behind it. We'll never have the 1:1 comparison but it seems short sighted to me. I'd think you wouldn't want people feeling like they were mislead and having that be associated with your studio. Especially when you could very realistically market this game to fans of Detroit, Life is Strange, Unavowed, Dark Pictures, etc. Detroit just surpassed 5 million so idk if its a harder audience to tap into, but it's there.

In any case I just hope more people end up liking the game than not because it seems genuinely good and a lot of the negative reaction you read is people going "I thought this was going to be Silent Hill and its an adventure game instead"
Yep. Though to be fair I imagine a lot of fans of Detroit, Life is Strange etc. would feel misled if it was marketed as one of those games as well. There’s no dialogue choices which is the crux of the gameplay in those games, no choices of any kind that impact the plot and no replay value at all (other than for achievement hunters to clean things up.

It’s really more of a walking sim meshed in with a cinematic story style. I.e a Gone Home giving more narrative story telling and 8ish hours long instead of 2. I love those kind of games, but prefer a more fleshed out story so this was right up my alley. Had the walk around and piece things together by interacting with the environment and doing some very simple puzzles (saves me having to look shit up as I have zero patience for figuring shit out in games these days), while also having more narration and cut scenes to flesh out a story which is another thing in games I love. Not sure what the market is for that type of thing though, but glad they’ve made some profit already as I’d love to see more of these kind of games, especially on Gamepass.

Yep. Though to be fair I imagine a lot of fans of Detroit, Life is Strange etc. would feel misled if it was marketed as one of those games as well. There’s no dialogue choices which is the crux of the gameplay in those games, no choices of any kind that impact the plot and no replay value at all (other than for achievement hunters to clean things up.

It’s really more of a walking sim meshed in with a cinematic story style. I.e a Gone Home giving more narrative story telling and 8ish hours long instead of 2. I love those kind of games, but prefer a more fleshed out story so this was right up my alley. Had the walk around and piece things together by interacting with the environment and doing some very simple puzzles (saves me having to look shit up as I have zero patience for figuring shit out in games these days), while also having more narration and cut scenes to flesh out a story which is another thing in games I love. Not sure what the market is for that type of thing though, but glad they’ve made some profit already as I’d love to see more of these kind of games, especially on Gamepass.

That's a fair point, but I just meant adventure games in general and pulled some of the more popular examples. They could still target fans of narrative games in general, choices or not. There's big overlap between people who enjoy games like Gone Home, Life is Strange, Detroit, Firewatch, etc. So I think they could still appeal to that crowd without them.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Is it just me or this game doesn't support Quick Resume too well.
I was playing the game, paused, went to the home screen, then powered down the console.
Came back an hour later, powered on the console and no quick resume. Tried the process again and did not work.

The quick resume seems to work if you don't turn off the console though.

Had the same issue. Played for the first time today and got passed the intro. I idled the game after getting off your motorcycle and my console went to sleep. When I got back into the game, I was at the main menu and continuing my progress put my back to the point in the morgue where you just got finished dressing Jack. Worse is that that artifact bug below starting appearing for the firs time on identical scenes where it didn't show up prior.

I noticed this too, but not as bad as this shot:

First impressions are that the writing is really a bit of a mess. Marianne's voice actress doesn't do the script any favors. She can't properly convey the emotional range her early scenes require. Her performance is just flat. The game could with more show and less tell, character exposition is a bit much early on.

Last edited:

sainraja

You're giving my brain AIDS. I've played RE and DC many times. They ARE tank controls regardless of whether you don't have to "stop completely before turning". Do you think a tank has to stop to allow it to turn?

No need to record any footage. We get how it controls. Push up to move the character forward and push left or right to rotate the character left or right regardless of any camera angle. The Medium doesn't control like that.
Man, some of you become hostile pretty quickly. Have you been following the conversation or just decided to respond in semi-aggressive way? I didn't make the distinction about having to stop completely before turning to categorize something as tank controls; that was a quote, in response to Moogle, I think and it was being said in defense of 'The Medium' btw.

All I will say is, I don't believe you've played RE and DC many times given what you're saying here. As for what I said about 'The Medium', well, I could say it again but given you've already demonstrated you are not capable of following a conversation in its sequence, what would be the point....it will just be a waste of time. Hell, you guys can't even stick to your own definitions when I say something and now I am being put in a position to defend something I didn't even say!

The Medium is closest to Dino Crisis when it comes to movement. [EDIT: And I say this, after being pulled into a discussion about my original statement and going back to the older games.]

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Stuck in some geometry in Niwa and the checkpointing is kind of bad. I might be done with this. The writing for Marianne's internal monologues and the performance given is just really off putting. Overall game performances, LOD and texture pop-in and stuttering are also distracting.

RoboEight

Finished the game, overall I enjoyed it. The story gets better further into the game you get and the game certainly has some great set pieces, some beautiful art and some neat mechanics. I did have some issues with the game which can't really get into without spoilers but overall I'm glad I played it well done Bloober Team.

dorkimoe

So finished the game. Achivement said only 5% of gamers have finished. To be expected as just launched.
Enjoyed it for what it was. A walking simulator. But has just left me longing for a new fixed camera angle silent hill or resident evil.
Performance towards the end on the series s was abysmal. Had a hard crash once and fps often dipped in low 20’s. Maybe even 10’s. Ending was a little disappointing
I only played like 10 minutes and i didnt even think it looked good enough to have FPS dips. Kind of embarrassing they cant figure this shit out.

scalman

Gave it another try, played maybe 2 hrs, its lots talking slow pace, not that scary for me rly. I duno i dont think i need sh2 in 2021, she doesnt even have flashlight? That would add a lot to atmosfear.
So i play game on 1080p but when it goes to split screen its splits resolution in half for each screen?? Is that how it works? Because i clearly see that is low res when in split screen...
At least for now not enough tension not enough stuff happening , and reason that im doing what im doing in game is what? I mean its kinda not that important.
I more liked new Syberia demo then this.

Dacon

Banned
I finally finished the game on stream after about 9 hours total play time. I really enjoyed it, right up to a certain point.

It was basically an old school adventure game, the kind I grew up on with some heavy horror themes. I loved the graphics, acting, characters, and the world building. The music was really good too and I would love for this to become a franchise.

Now the bad, the ending was fucking horrible, a total cop out. After building all that emotional tension, after reaching its narrative peak it just ends? Not only do we not get a satisfying conclusion, we don't even get a fucking conclusion. We get a sequel tease at the end of the credits and are just left spinning in the wind. How the fuck did people think this was a good idea?

nikolino840

Gave it another try, played maybe 2 hrs, its lots talking slow pace, not that scary for me rly. I duno i dont think i need sh2 in 2021, she doesnt even have flashlight? That would add a lot to atmosfear.
So i play game on 1080p but when it goes to split screen its splits resolution in half for each screen?? Is that how it works? Because i clearly see that is low res when in split screen...
At least for now not enough tension not enough stuff happening , and reason that im doing what im doing in game is what? I mean its kinda not that important.
I more liked new Syberia demo then this.
Read only if you don't want to play anymore
you find the flashlight during the game

Macattk15

How did anyone enjoy this "game"? I wouldn't even give it a 4/10. Poor performance, extremely boring gameplay, not scary in the least bit .... please be good RE:Village!

I really need to get on the gamepass wagon cause I dunno why I paid $50 for this.

Last edited:

Turnstyle

I really need to get on the gamepass wagon cause I dunno why I paid $50 for this.
For me, this was a perfect gamepass game. I had a fun time with the game, and felt like I got my money's worth out of it. I would have felt pretty let down if I'd paid full price for this 7 hour experience though.

Yep, you really do need to hop on gamepass - even if it's just for a month to play through a game like this.

D.Final

Banned
For me, this was a perfect gamepass game. I had a fun time with the game, and felt like I got my money's worth out of it. I would have felt pretty let down if I'd paid full price for this 7 hour experience though.

Yep, you really do need to hop on gamepass - even if it's just for a month to play through a game like this.
I agree

Man, some of you become hostile pretty quickly. Have you been following the conversation or just decided to respond in semi-aggressive way? I didn't make the distinction about having to stop completely before turning to categorize something as tank controls; that was a quote, in response to Moogle, I think and it was being said in defense of 'The Medium' btw.

All I will say is, I don't believe you've played RE and DC many times given what you're saying here. As for what I said about 'The Medium', well, I could say it again but given you've already demonstrated you are not capable of following a conversation in its sequence, what would be the point....it will just be a waste of time. Hell, you guys can't even stick to your own definitions when I say something and now I am being put in a position to defend something I didn't even say!

The Medium is closest to Dino Crisis when it comes to movement. [EDIT: And I say this, after being pulled into a discussion about my original statement and going back to the older games.]
That wasn't aggressive. Don't be such a baby. I'm replying to what you said. I'm simply telling you that you are wrong. I don't want you going through life being wrong. I'm doing this for you. You don't have to believe that I've played RE and DC many times. I'm telling you I have played them many times and I understand completely how they control. RE and DC are both tank controls, there's no debate on what you think the controls are innacurately called. The Medium isn't tank controls therefor controls nothing like Dino Crisis. They aren't similar in any way. If anything, The Medium is closer to the added control scheme in RE Remake Remastered. I'm simply telling you that you are wrong. Again, not aggressive. Do you never correct anyone when they are wrong?

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Started this last night. It seems quite good. The environments look stunning, particularly the forest. There's something off with the way the main character is lit and often she looks like she's not part of the same scene as the environment.

Story seems quite heavy and grim so far.

sainraja

That wasn't aggressive. Don't be such a baby. I'm replying to what you said. I'm simply telling you that you are wrong. I don't want you going through life being wrong. I'm doing this for you. You don't have to believe that I've played RE and DC many times. I'm telling you I have played them many times and I understand completely how they control. RE and DC are both tank controls, there's no debate on what you think the controls are innacurately called. The Medium isn't tank controls therefor controls nothing like Dino Crisis. They aren't similar in any way. If anything, The Medium is closer to the added control scheme in RE Remake Remastered. I'm simply telling you that you are wrong. Again, not aggressive. Do you never correct anyone when they are wrong?
lol I have to say this made me laugh. Anyway, I think you should go back and try to follow the conversation and then reply to what I said. But it looks you can either be aggressive in how you respond to someone or patronizing. No middle ground for you!

Life

I finally finished the game on stream after about 9 hours total play time. I really enjoyed it, right up to a certain point.

It was basically an old school adventure game, the kind I grew up on with some heavy horror themes. I loved the graphics, acting, characters, and the world building. The music was really good too and I would love for this to become a franchise.

Now the bad, the ending was fucking horrible, a total cop out. After building all that emotional tension, after reaching its narrative peak it just ends? Not only do we not get a satisfying conclusion, we don't even get a fucking conclusion. We get a sequel tease at the end of the credits and are just left spinning in the wind. How the fuck did people think this was a good idea?

I liked the ending because we know what actually happens - one of them dies, for sure. Which one? Not really important. Didn't like the game as much as it was clearly aimed at casual gamers with very simply puzzles and not much freedom. If they DO make a sequel, it better give players full freedom with traversing both worlds (game only lets you use both worlds when it wants to), and puzzles that don't hold your hand every step of the way.

D.Final

Banned
I liked the ending because we know what actually happens - one of them dies, for sure. Which one? Not really important. Didn't like the game as much as it was clearly aimed at casual gamers with very simply puzzles and not much freedom. If they DO make a sequel, it better give players full freedom with traversing both worlds (game only lets you use both worlds when it wants to), and puzzles that don't hold your hand every step of the way.
Cool

sainraja

That's a little disappointing to read. I was hoping for some freedom given how games similar to it in the past have allowed (specifically backtracking) and from the sound of what I have been reading, there don't seem to be any enemy encounters (if true and I will find out soon enough) which is a little more disappointing. I was wondering about how new games with the old fixed camera angle thing would work out nowadays so at-least this has that.

Last edited:

PooBone

I snagged the digital OST last night. I'm very early on but it's ticking all the boxes. Sadly, we don't get this kind of static camera in modern horror games anymore.

daycru

I thought The Medium was a pretty lousy game, but it does get me more excited for the future of GamePass. The story in The Medium goes so nuts and sideways and taboo that I’m convinced Microsoft has zero oversight over these projects. They’re giving devs a few million dollars and a deadline, and letting them go at it. Some really interesting games are going to come out of GamePass.

PooBone

I thought The Medium was a pretty lousy game, but it does get me more excited for the future of GamePass. The story in The Medium goes so nuts and sideways and taboo that I’m convinced Microsoft has zero oversight over these projects. They’re giving devs a few million dollars and a deadline, and letting them go at it. Some really interesting games are going to come out of GamePass.
Was it ever communicated that Microsoft had any sort of oversight over The Medium? I thought it was similar to other third party deals where they just release day one on GamePass.

Bloober's games ALL go nuts and sideways and taboo.

Last edited:

Life

That's a little disappointing to read. I was hoping for some freedom given how games similar to it in the past have allowed (specifically backtracking) and from the sound of what I have been reading, there don't seem to be any enemy encounters (if true and I will find out soon enough) which is a little more disappointing. I was wondering about how new games with the old fixed camera angle thing would work out nowadays so at-least this has that.
Camera-work was very nostalgic and atmosphere was spot on. Puzzles, lack of combat, how easy the game is, all prevent it from being memorable. Horror theme aside, it's way too casual.

sainraja

Camera-work was very nostalgic and atmosphere was spot on. Puzzles, lack of combat, how easy the game is, all prevent it from being memorable. Horror theme aside, it's way too casual.
Yeah, that's for sure. I think they should have had combat and more challenging puzzles. Perhaps in the next outing.

Dacon

Banned

No, that's stupid and it very much is important. It's not a conclusion.

I wouldn't add combat unless they were going for a different genre. But more substance to the puzzle solving and at less linearity would be appreciated. It doesn't need to be super open ended but a little less constant a to b would give the environments some more life.

D.Final

Banned
Awesome
I wouldn't add combat unless they were going for a different genre. But more substance to the puzzle solving and at less linearity would be appreciated. It doesn't need to be super open ended but a little less constant a to b would give the environments some more life.

Moogle11

Banned
I could live with some more puzzles in a sequel, as long as not super obtuse like old point and click adventure games. I just want to get through the plot with minimal roadblocks in these kind of narrative-driven games. It sucks me out of it if I'm constantly having too look things up on my iPad while playing.

I don't have a lot of patience for figuring things out in games. My work taxes my brain enough and I'm usually pretty mentally fatigued when it comes time for hobbies. So I liked that this was very straight forward and more a narrative heavy walking sim. If any thing, I'd like to see them take a few more steps toward a Life is Strange or whatever type adventure game and put in some dialogue choices with NPCs that impact the story, decision points that impact outcomes etc. That's a genre I'd love more games in, and sadly looks like we'll get less with Telltale Games closing. Those kind of games are a good fit for Gamepass IMO, especially the episodic ones that keep people coming back, wanting to resubscribe if their sub ends before a series is wrapped up etc.

D.Final

Banned
I could live with some more puzzles in a sequel, as long as not super obtuse like old point and click adventure games. I just want to get through the plot with minimal roadblocks in these kind of narrative-driven games. It sucks me out of it if I'm constantly having too look things up on my iPad while playing.

I don't have a lot of patience for figuring things out in games. My work taxes my brain enough and I'm usually pretty mentally fatigued when it comes time for hobbies. So I liked that this was very straight forward and more a narrative heavy walking sim. If any thing, I'd like to see them take a few more steps toward a Life is Strange or whatever type adventure game and put in some dialogue choices with NPCs that impact the story, decision points that impact outcomes etc. That's a genre I'd love more games in, and sadly looks like we'll get less with Telltale Games closing. Those kind of games are a good fit for Gamepass IMO, especially the episodic ones that keep people coming back, wanting to resubscribe if their sub ends before a series is wrapped up etc.
I started today
It really cool

Top Bottom