• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Medium |OT| Silent Hells

Komatsu

medium-header-lossy.gif

Platform(s): Xbox Series X and S, PC
Release Date: January 28th, 2021
Genre: Action, Horror
Engine: Unreal
Developer: Bloober Team
Publisher: Bloober Team
Price: $49.99 USD or included as part of Game Pass

NOTICE: The assets and verbiage here were taken from the game's Steam store page (link at the end) and as such the copyright belongs to Bloober Team, the developer and publisher.

702.png

Wield unique psychic abilities reserved for those with the gift. Travel between the realities or explore them both at the very same time. Use the Out of Body experience to investigate places where your real-world self can’t go. Create energy shields and deliver powerful spirit blasts to survive the spirit world and its otherworldly dangers.

1-BECOME-A-MEDIUM.gif

703.png

Delve deep into a mature and morally ambiguous story, where nothing is what it seems and everything has another side. As a medium you see, hear and experience more than others, and with every new perspective you will change your perception on what happened at the Niwa resort.

2-SEE-WHAT-u2019-S-HIDDEN.gif

704.png

Never-seen-before and officially patented gameplay that plays out across two worlds displayed at the same time. Explore the physical world and the spirit world simultaneously, and use the interactions between them to solve dual-reality puzzles, unlock new paths, and awaken memories of past events.

3-PLAY-IN-TWO-WORLDS-AT-THE-SAME-TIME.gif

706.png

5-MUSIC-BY-YAMAOKA-REIKOWSKI.gif

Immerse yourself in the disturbing and oppressive atmosphere of the game thanks to the original ‘dual’ soundtrack co-created by Akira Yamaoka and Arkadiusz Reikowski. Yamaoka-san is a legendary Japanese composer best known for his work on the Silent Hill series; Reikowski is a Hollywood Music in Media Awards nominee who worked on such acclaimed horror games as Blair Witch, Layers of Fear, and Observer. Now they join their creative forces for the music and songs of The Medium.

System Requirements​

• Minimum:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-6600 / AMD Ryzen™ 5 2500X
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: @1080p NVIDIA GEFORCE® GTX 1650 Super or GTX 1060 / Radeon™ R9 390X
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 55 GB available space
    • Sound Card: DirectX compatible, headphones recommended

• Recommended:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-9600 / AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700X
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: @1080p NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1660 Super / Radeon™ RX 5600XT | @4K NVIDIA GeForce® RTX 2080 or RTX 3060 Ti / Radeon™ RX 6800
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Storage: 55 GB available space
    • Sound Card: DirectX compatible, headphones recommended.

REVIEW THREAD

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Really nice OT, thank you for making it.

I so mad at you, Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem for talking me into playing ACV before I was ready. I knew there was a reason I was holding off on Valhalla and now I remember it was The Medium. I saw your review of ACV and rushed to buy it forgetting he Medium was coming this month. Now I'm deep into the game and I'm either going to have to wait until I finish ACV to play The Medium or tear myself away from AC to play it.

I've been looking forward to this game, it seems like forever and now it's finally here. If it's even half as good as it looks I'm sure I'm going to love it.

P.S. I am loving Valhalla, but I hate you for making me have to decide which game I'm going to be playing on the 28th :messenger_beaming:
j/k still luvs ya.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Really nice OT, thank you for making it.

I so mad at you, Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem for talking me into playing ACV before I was ready. I knew there was a reason I was holding off on Valhalla and now I remember it was The Medium. I saw your review of ACV and rushed to buy it forgetting he Medium was coming this month. Now I'm deep into the game and I'm either going to have to wait until I finish ACV to play The Medium or tear myself away from AC to play it.

I've been looking forward to this game, it seems like forever and now it's finally here. If it's even half as good as it looks I'm sure I'm going to love it.

P.S. I am loving Valhalla, but I hate you for making me have to decide which game I'm going to be playing on the 28th :messenger_beaming:
j/k still luvs ya.

Trust me, don't ever jump in and out of AC Valhalla, it'll cripple your overall experience and you'll feel disconnected. This is a great problem to have, I'm actually waiting for a game to play and might settle down for Sackboy or wait for Destruction Allstars on PS Plus next month!

Had some quality time with Ubisoft this gen: WDL, ACV, and Immortals Fenyx Rising, all are 9/10 to me and expect more from Ubisoft when they focus on current gen. Not sure if we're gonna see Beyond Good and Evil 2, it's one of my most anticipated games and can't see it working properly on last gen.

Enjoy ACV because I think The Medium is short! Also don't buy a game to play it "later", just buy a game when you're ready to play it = you might catch it in a discount ;)

Last edited:

Fredrik

Just noticed that is was on Gamepass. Preinstalling!
Perfect timing, just lost 50 hours of ACV last night from some weird save bug, uninstalled it and googled the endings, couldn’t be more ready for something new. And it reminds me of oldschool Resident Evil, always a plus! 👌

ancelotti

I'm in the same boat, I totally didn't realize this was available to preinstall on Game Pass. My brain still can't take anything in the Xbox App or Windows Store seriously.

SCB3

Good OP,

Had this preinstalled on my Series S for awhile, ready to go via Game Pass, like many here I've been bouncing around AC Valhalla, Yakuza Kiwami and Hitman 3, still have to play the RE Village Demo as well, so a Horror weekend will be nice

Hydroxy

I hope it reviews well although I full expect low to mid 70s. Not that will prevent me from playing this game. I liked Blair Witch and expecting this to be even better.

Kagey K

Banned
I hope it reviews well although I full expect low to mid 70s. Not that will prevent me from playing this game. I liked Blair Witch and expecting this to be even better.
Blair Witch is probably the weakest of their games. I hope they are able to match or surpass Layers of Fear or Observer with this one.

turtlepowa

Banned
At least since TLOU2 i don't care about reviews anymore. I will play it and see myself. I had lots of fun with 6/10 games and was bored of 9/10 games. The taste of professionals and the taste of the players can be completely different.

Life

Why is she talking to herself? Totally breaks immersion. YES YES YOU MADE IT! I'd rather just hear her gasping for air instead - which you don't actually hear. Surprised people are even excited about this overpriced last gen game.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
So...this game costs $50 and then you have Sony charging $70 for their games? Hmm...

Edit: It’s not first party (?)
Yeah it’s not first party. Just console exclusive to Xbox—may be timed exclusive there, don’t think that’s been confirmed.

I’d expect most third party next gen only games to be $70 sooner than latter though. At least AAA stuff, this seems more like an AA game so I think we’ll still keep seeing some of those at $50. Hike there as well as a game like this probably would have been $40 last gen.

kuncol02

Banned
Why is she talking to herself? Totally breaks immersion. YES YES YOU MADE IT! I'd rather just hear her gasping for air instead - which you don't actually hear. Surprised people are even excited about this overpriced last gen game.
Some people like to talk to themselves and NO, we are not crazy.

Data Ghost

Overpriced? I have it pre-installed on my Series X and will be playing it for 'free' with GamePass.

Last edited:

rapid32.5

Cant wait, enjoyed Blair Witch visual scary ideas. This reminds me of Silent Hill we never got to play last gen.

Concern

Preloaded awhile ago. But I honestly don't know if I'll put Hitman 3 down for this. May just try to finish it first.

Hope this doesn't disappoint. Wasn't a fan of Blair Witch.

Plantoid

This is a game I would never buy, but thanks to gamepass I will be playing it, I like to keep my expectations low...

Shmunter

This is a game I would never buy, but thanks to gamepass I will be playing it, I like to keep my expectations low...
Why waste your time on things you wouldn’t want to buy?

Apart from that, this game looks good. Hope reviews back that up.

J3nga

Because it's a rollercoaster with Bloober team. I personally didn't like any of their games, and last 2 of their projects haven't been well received by the community, but thanks to gamepass we can try their new project which might turn out to be good.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm not a massive horror fan, but loved the first two Silent Hill games. Will I like this?

It's on Game Pass, so I guess I'll find out in a few days!

Moogle11

Banned

For me before I‘d spend money on stuff that wasn’t “OMG must buy and play this day one!” type releases just to fill the void between those releases as I have a lot of free time for gaming and other hobbies. It wasn’t so much that those things weren’t worth buying, just that it’s way more frugal to now mostly fill those voids playing those kind of games via Gamepass or PS+ or Epic or other PC give aways.

As someone that rarely replays games and doesn’t collect anything, it’s also good on that front vs. just being out the cost if I buy digitally or hassling with selling on eBay or Amazon when done when I buy physically.

But yeah, I don’t think these services are that great for people who stay busy with games they want to buy (unless a lot of games they’d otherwise buy are on there and they don’t care about ownership anyway). Great for those of us that churn through games and are looking for things to kill time between new releases we’re stoked to buy day one.

Last edited:

Cattlyst

Already pre-installed. My body is ready. Bloober Team won me over with Observer and Layers of Fear so I'm very ready for this one. Please be good...!

I hope the game is good, but it's just fun to know a title of this caliber is coming to Game Pass. Waking up to a new "AAA" game for such a low monthly fee is pretty cool.
This is really what GPass is all about and is the major reason one would go Xbox instead of PS (if PC is not available). It takes the whole deciding which games to buy and how many a year out of the equation in all honesty. Yes you would miss out on some big releases but you wouldn't want for games to play, just a massive advantage especially in the current financial climate.

Jtibh

Banned
How the standards have dropped.
All this talk about next gen visuals ,ray tracing etc and look this game looks shit.
There is no sugar coating it.

Also dare i say the same individuals in this thread praise the shit out of this yet all i see is a cinematic game, a walking simulator, a point and click game....you know how they describe tlou2 and ghost and all sony exclusives.

The double standards here are on the same level like this biden fake president who bitched at trump about not doing enough about covid and look he now admits he cant do any more than was already done or just simple facts how california is reopening the first week under biden or how amazon is helping to distribute vaccines the first week under biden, not like they couldnt have done it under trump....but hey we are all conspiracy theorist or now under biden terrorist lol.

Look the game looks shit ,there is nothing here i havent seen or played before. This is by no means next gen and is just gamepass filler something you will have to get used to as we go further into this gen.

But hey i guess its at least something to play unlike on ps5.

And hey if you want to report me or ban me for pointing out facts lol do it.
I am shaking my head the last few weeks from all the grabage people write and defend here.

Oh how the standards have dropped on gaf.

Interfectum

All this talk about next gen visuals ,ray tracing etc and look this game looks shit.

Also dare i say the same individuals in this thread praise the shit out of this yet all i see is a cinematic game, a walking simulator, a point and click game....you know how they describe tlou2 and ghost and all sony exclusives.

The double standards here are on the same level like this biden fake president who bitched at trump about not doing enough about covid and look he now admits he cant do any more than was already done or just simple facts how california is reopening the first week under biden or how amazon is helping to distribute vaccines the first week under biden, not like they couldnt have done it under trump....but hey we are all conspiracy theorist or now under biden terrorist lol.

Look the game looks shit ,there is nothing here i havent seen or played before. This is by no means next gen and is just gamepass filler something you will have to get used to as we go further into this gen.

I am shaking my head the last few weeks from all the grabage people write and defend here.

jim carrey what GIF

Chill out man.

Moogle11

Banned
This is really what GPass is all about and is the major reason one would go Xbox instead of PS (if PC is not available). It takes the whole deciding which games to buy and how many a year out of the equation in all honesty. Yes you would miss out on some big releases but you wouldn't want for games to play, just a massive advantage especially in the current financial climate.
Yep. I’d never go solely with it unless I hit financial hard times (unlikely as I have a lot of stability and security as a professor with tenure) as I love AAA games and especially a lot of Sony and Nintendo IPs.

But, as I said above, it’s fantastic for getting all MS first party games for cheap and filling the void between new releases I’m stoked for and plan to buy and play at or near launch.

Last edited:

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

An Xbox game OT can't make it one page without random warrior-yelling-at-clouds type posts. Cmon bruhs

Nice OT.

Any metacritic predictions?

I will go with 79. Seems like a decent, atmospheric slow burn type of game based on what I have watched. Excited to try it myself on Thursday

Last edited:
Top Bottom