• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mandalorian |OT| I Have Spoken

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I have to agree the last 2 episodes have really felt like filler, but filler episodes when there are only 8 episodes in total and right at the start seems a bad sign. I also felt like the lady who owned the spaceship bay was a terrible actor.
All this talk of "filler" episodes... This is what the show is, don't you get it? It's like the 70's Hulk show, individual stories that are linked by the two main characters. There is no filler. You are always learning more about the Mandalorian, the world and how things are after Jedi. That's it, and it's great because of it.

Keep the mystery, keep it open. Enjoy spending time in this cool era of Star Wars. It's one of the few shows where I have no idea where it's going. Considering it's Disney it's a miracle this made it out. Expect season 2 to be way more generic. For me, I'd love it if season 2 just continued on with Mando and Baby Yoda having other adventures.
I'm late to this thread, but these TV series are always filled with filler.

If you want to see the most filler ever in a series watch Punisher. They could have cut the season episodes in half and still have enough content to have a fast flowing plot.

desertdroog

I appreciate this show bringing in alien species we only saw a glimpse of in passing from the movies. Droids are always good, humanoid with ulterior motives even better. You can't read them, so they come off as totally unstrustworthy. I do enjoy them mixing up the characters into motley groups, like a Mos Eisley cantina group going on a caper.

This show is over soon, huh? Well, I hope the next season grows..maybe the episodes need to be longer? It just seems so saccharine..they are so close to greatness, but there is something missing as each episode moves on.

sol_bad

I really enjoyed this episode, yeah it's still filler but everything was good including the acting. I re-watched episode 5 again and even though I liked the content of the episode, it's acting is far worse than any of the other episodes. Filono can't seem to direct people very well and so I hope he does not helm any of the future films at this point.

Rick Famiyuwa on the other hand, I see potential there as the 2nd and 6th episodes are easily the best.
It had good humour, the action was pretty well done and I enjoyed that I had no idea who they were rescuing.

You people still calling them "filler"? They're not fillers, love it or hate it, it's how the serie is designed.
You never saw The A-Team, McGyver, The Incredible Hulk and so on?
Very old school.
Up to ten years ago, almost every series was like that.
Maybe with a little bit of an overarching storyline attached to it, but usually it was primarily "monster/evil dude of the day".

dan76

The filler comments make no sense. Again, this is what the show is. Faverau has said he wanted to tell smaller stories, more personal stories set in the Star Wars universe and this is exactly what it is. The movies all try to mean so much but fail.

I do think that we will get a recurring villain at some point - much like Colonel Decker in the A- Team. That would be cool. Imagine if that was Boba Fett?!? Maybe not, probably that Gus fella, it's good that this show is separate from the films.

Next episode is on Wednesday, and tonight if you're in the UK there are two Star Wars docs on BBC4. One about Palitoy and the other about the making of the OT in the UK.

eot

Banned
You people still calling them "filler"? They're not fillers, love it or hate it, it's how the serie is designed.
You never saw The A-Team, McGyver, The Incredible Hulk and so on?
Very old school.
Expectations matter though. People are used to season long story arcs, and the first three episodes had a strong continuity which hinted that the show overall would have at least some of that. I'm watching a 90's show right now which is also mostly self-contained stories in each episode, that's fine and I like it, it just wasn't what I was expecting here. Also I think (again) at least ep.4 / 5 were a bit too short to be good self-contained episodes.

olimariOA

Banned
So I'm up on the series and I simply don't like it.

Let me be fair, I love the aesthetic.
I love the CG techniques used (UE).
I love that we have a new Hensen puppet tooting around.

But this isn't even in my top 10 space-themed TV SHOWS OF ALL TIME list.
The stories are abbreviated to the point of being shallow and the characters don't seem to say much or to develop.

That double-cross episode with the young bounty hunter on tatooine was 36 minutes long
So every scene that needed time to develop didn't get it
Mando and the young dude just teleport back to Candy and then the dude gets shot and Mando flies away then end. Happened in like 14 seconds.

I like this monster of the week format. I expect we'll get little bits and pieces of overarching sory as time goes on, but it'll be Mando doing side gigs and fighting off bounty hunters for a while.

olimariOA

Banned
Monster of the week would be great.
I love Law and Order and House and Star Trek and all of that shit.

But you have to develop your characters at the same time.
And you have to give these stories the runtime they need.
You can't have a 36-minute doublecross episode because you blew your budget on cutting edge UE4 special effects or whatever.

And damn, let's get some more original plots than orcs raid a peaceful village.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Having watched all the episodes I now feel I've seen enough to form an opinion.
I like the show, but I don't love it. The writing isn't very good. Every episode has been VERY predictable. I understand Mando isn't exactly chatty, but they really need to develop his character more to actually make me give a damn about him.

GreyHorace

Okay. That was awesome. Great setup for the season finale. Some really tense moments that built up the suspense. And we finally got to see the real power of the Child (Baby Yoda). No wonder the Empire wants the little guy.

A shame that they killed off Kuiil. He was by far the most decent and helpful character in a series full of scum and villainy. I have spoken. :messenger_crying:

It's a shame not all the episodes of the season could maintain this type of quality. The writing and direction really came together here and at times it reminded me of Empire. I know a second season has been confirmed so I hope they raise their game by then.

Last edited:

GV82

PSA new episode out today folks. Early this week because of TROS release.
It’s another Direced Deborah Chow (episode 3). 👍🏻

GymWolf

sHY6kDE.jpg
Dafuq??

Holy shit on a stick!

That episode was fantastic! Deborah Chow is a (space) wizard. I can't wait to see how she tackles hour long episodes with Obi-Wan. I feel the force is strong with her!

I THINK I figured out the connection to TROS but I'll wait to see it to be sure, but it'd make sense.

LOVED the Death Troopers, the Folding TIE, Baby Yoda and all his Force majesty, pretty much everything about this episode. RIP Piggy!!!!

Last edited:

ManaByte

Holy shit on a stick!

That episode was fantastic! Deborah Chow is a (space) wizard. I can't wait to see how she tackles hour long episodes with Obi-Wan. I feel the force is strong with her!

I THINK I figured out the connection to TROS but I'll wait to see it to be sure, but it'd make sense.

LOVED the Death Troopers, the Folding TIE, Baby Yoda and all his Force majesty, pretty much everything about this episode. RIP Piggy!!!!

If you want to know the connection it's:
The Force healing power. They hinted at it in Chapter 2 (was surprised they didn't reveal it there), but they show it in this episode and it's a big part of TROS.

Fuz

Banned
Oh, a good episode. Maybe because it's split and doesn't suffer from the short lenght.
Gina is super cool. And space Gus Fring is really charismatic.
I didn't notice any blatant plot holes like in the other episodes, so far (but just give me time
2Rce3.gif
)
Visually is spectacular. Really great. Loved the shiny death squad.
Liked this one, got good hopes for the season finale.

Btw, I think Herzog thought he was gonna play a Sith lord and not an imperial.

ALTHOUGH
Since when the force works like a panacea that can heal everything?

Last edited:
Give em the ole cliffhanger.

I do hope they extend the episodes a bit more. I'm fine with one-off stories and old TV series design, but some time could be added to flesh out a plot or character a bit more.

I expect:
Mando escapes, but has to fetch/enlist the Bill Burr crew to help retrieve baby yoda.

Other thought is that there's a lot of talk of the New Republic but we haven't really seen it outside of one automated prison ship. Don't understand Mando's relationship to them either.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
Give em the ole cliffhanger.

I do hope they extend the episodes a bit more. I'm fine with one-off stories and old TV series design, but some time could be added to flesh out a plot or character a bit more.

I expect:
Mando escapes, but has to fetch/enlist the Bill Burr crew to help retrieve baby yoda.

Other thought is that there's a lot of talk of the New Republic but we haven't really seen it outside of one automated prison ship. Don't understand Mando's relationship to them either.
Man, a season ending cliffhanger in which Baby Yoda remains in grave danger? That'll be brutal.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

We've only seen backwater planets, and unlike the Empire the New Republic doesn't seem keen on "expansion".

We've only seen backwater planets, and unlike the Empire the New Republic doesn't seem keen on "expansion".

I like that things are not all rosy and great under the New Republic, though I have to imagine most of these planets we've visited are in the Outer Rim. It stands to reason that if you just remove the oppressive force holding everyone down, without providing a strong alternative force, people are going to go in a ton of different directions (not all of them good).

Hopefully S2 and beyond will help flesh out why The New Republic was such a nothingburger by the time TFA starts.

ManaByte

I like that things are not all rosy and great under the New Republic, though I have to imagine most of these planets we've visited are in the Outer Rim. It stands to reason that if you just remove the oppressive force holding everyone down, without providing a strong alternative force, people are going to go in a ton of different directions (not all of them good).

Hopefully S2 and beyond will help flesh out why The New Republic was such a nothingburger by the time TFA starts.

They've kind of already done that in the comics and novels. The New Republic is being led by Mon Mothma and she's a total pacifist. Doesn't want an army or weapons at all. They also don't care about expanding or anything. They basically let the First Order rise to power because they don't want to fight anyone, so Leia starts to secretly form the Resistance.

JJ changed the opening crawl of TFA to say that the New Republic supported the Resistance without telling Lucasfilm (there were apparently DAILY revises to it coming in) so they had to scramble to retcon things to say certain New Republic senators supported the Resistance.

Fuz

Banned
ANYWAY

So, space Gus Fring had all those troops and resources and yet he had to hire a bounty hunter to assault a little mud hut to get the baby yoda?

And also, none of all those grizzled bounty hunters was able to get it done? Not even by joining forces?

Last edited:
ANYWAY

So, space Gus Fring had all those troops and resources and yet he had to hire a bounty hunter to assault a little mud hut to get the baby yoda?

And also, none of all those grizzled bounty hunters was able to get it done? Not even joining forces?

Well even Darth Vader resorted to bounty hunters in Empire Strikes Back but yeah I get what you mean lol. Maybe he was trying to avoid attracting attention from the New Republic?

-Arcadia-

Banned
Really good lead-up to the season finale, and pay-off for a bunch of the elements in the season so far.

It’s also cool that the reason this episode came out today, was to lay a little groundwork for something in Rise of Skywalker. I won’t spoil that, though.

Although it’s a shame it’s hitting its stride just as the season is ending, I think Mandalorian might just stick the landing. It’s not must-see TV, but there’s enough positive elements, and now, good episodes, to leave this season with an overall positive impression.

It’s also not lost on me that the TLJ wokeness is gone. You can argue that Carano’s character is a essentially a guy in a female wrapper, and you’d be right, but she’s also really likable.

daveonezero

Banned
All those claiming filler and now they loop back and basically bring all the events to mean something.

This was a good episode except for him moving the baby all the way so Creed could touch him. Wtf

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm thinking season 2 will be focused on
saving Baby Yoda. Maybe not, maybe they'll generate some plot points for next season, but I think if there is one continuous narrative stretched through an entire season, it might be more compelling. If he retrieves Baby Yoda, then season 2 will either be another season of Empire trying to capture it again, which will get repetitive. Or it'll just be a collection of random missions and adventures with him worrying about keeping it safe again. I can't imagine him getting it back in one episode, they have to prop up Esposito's character to make him a legit threat going forward and that won't happen if he loses the baby that quick. It would make him look like a chump.

Last edited:

desertdroog

Two things.
1. I had no idea Tie-Fighters could land like that. Is this something new and do they now have hyperspace ability or is there a Star Destroyer in orbit?

2. I like that despite losing to the Rebels, Imperials keep rocking capes.

This was a great episode. Loved the campfire assault.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Nothin particularly insightful or eye-opening but:
- Dune is fist fighting an alien of the same species as Darth Maul.
- She grabs a thermal detonator in Mando's ship, the same type that Leia uses to threaten Jabba in ROTJ.
- Mando and Kwill use the same type of Comm Link as C3-PO in New Hope.
- Black troopers are the same type of special ops as the ones in Rogue One.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Casuals would definitely consider this show filler therefore it’s filler.
I sat through an hour or so of this and it felt like a waste of time. Mando isn’t a character he’s a mask.

People bringing up A-Team and MacGuyver, those shows had way more interesting characters and had actual arcs.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Nothin particularly insightful or eye-opening but:
- Dune is fist fighting an alien of the same species as Darth Maul.
- She grabs a thermal detonator in Mando's ship, the same type that Leia uses to threaten Jabba in ROTJ.
- Mando and Kwill use the same type of Comm Link as C3-PO in New Hope.
- Black troopers are the same type of special ops as the ones in Rogue One.

That guy she's fighting isn't the first Dathomirian in the series. There was one in the first episode.

Hinedorf

Banned
Two things.
1. I had no idea Tie-Fighters could land like that. Is this something new and do they now have hyperspace ability or is there a Star Destroyer in orbit?

2. I like that despite losing to the Rebels, Imperials keep rocking capes.

This was a great episode. Loved the campfire assault.

Historically TIE Fighters open from the front window they see out of not a hole at the top of the TIE Fighter itself. As somebody who's so fucking nerdy on this to know TIE stands for Twin Ion Engine my inner nerd was enraged when I saw the grounded ship with a hole a the top.

And you're right in that they did not have long range flight capabilities and needed to be transported long distances via larger vessels

Looked pretty badass regardless

Last edited:
Top Bottom