• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Season 1

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So compared to The Wheel of Time, which one is better?
Only one series has the ultimate...

ZQYa4bi.gif

Kimahri

Banned
It’s not Shakespeare. Some parts are better than others.

But so what?
When did we reach the point where we don't expect or demand greatness anymore? What the fuck happened? "Good enough"?! That's where the bar lies now?

Ffs. You take the work of one of the greatest writers of history, someone who poured his entire life into this world, and then we're supposed to be okay with it being "reasonably entertaining".

I'm somewhat in disbelief. Standards have not just lowered, they've crumbled.

nkarafo

When did we reach the point where we don't expect or demand greatness anymore? What the fuck happened? "Good enough"?! That's where the bar lies now?

Ffs. You take the work of one of the greatest writers of history, someone who poured his entire life into this world, and then we're supposed to be okay with it being "reasonably entertaining".

The Office Thank You GIF

I see this a lot the last few years. People are willing to spend time and energy with average (at best) crap and they seem happy as long as "it's not completely terrible" or it gets them "entertained enough".

It's like media is a drug to them and they are completely addicted, so they don't have the choice to NOT consume every bit of it. They have to consume it. So it might as well not be too bad while getting their fix.

Or maybe it's like when you have to go to the dentist and you are absolutely glad he didn't hurt you too much.

And it's like you said, the bar is too low. And i even caught myself being affected by it. I wasn't willing to watch the House of Dragon because of the blatant diversity race swap actors for a certain house. I'm just annoyed by this crap because i know the reason they do it so it ends up taking me out of the world i'm trying to immerse myself into. But i did watch it in the end because i'm hungry for more GOT universe (AKA, the drug) and hey, diversity or not, it's still not nearly as good as the first 4 seasons of GOT but it's not as bad as season 8. Right? That's where my standards are. As long as it's not as bad, i'll watch it i guess.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Ah yes, another attempt at Sauron being misunderstood - Polygon article this time:

And I think he’s motivated to heal Middle-earth. And he talks about in the last episode, when Morgoth was defeated, “It was like a great clenched fist and released its grasp from my neck. And then I realized I have to undo all the pain that I caused” — something along those lines. And I think he’s trying to heal Middle-earth from the destruction that it’s had over the First Age, to rehabilitate and reorganize it. While these things are a product of what happened in the First Age, and then what’s happened in the Second Age, I also think that he’s had these things built into his being, his personality. This desire for perfection. It’s craftsmanship.
Fucking Frodo.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member

leonardo dicaprio bravo GIF

This gets me every time - WTF would you spend your time on something average where there is almost infinite content of extremely high quality in books, television and movies?

Raven117

Gold Member

Dear gawd man, it’s a tv show on Amazon. You want greatness? Re-read the trilogy.

Y’all are holding the IP up to a standard that no one will likely ever meet.

So, yes. While I’m sitting there eating chicken and broccoli on a Tuesday at dinner, reasonably entertained is perfectly adequate.

Raven117

Gold Member
If you ignore the amount of money used for this series, sure.
Not my problem. Is it yours?
Adequate.

Well, thanks for proving my point I suppose.
Cool dude, I'm glad you are such a connoisseur of fine art and culture that you only will ever demand greatness on everything, always.

Yall nerds need to get off it. Sorry it didn't meet your expectations (I didn't have any going in) and was entertained enough to turn in to season 2. Its "fine."

Yall arent Star Wars fan level of irritating, but getting there. Its further irritating to be put in a position to have to defend my opinion here. To me, yes, its fine. Are there better shows out there? Of course. If you want a romp through the Tolkien world with some good visuals, and a mediocre script, but its just cool to hangout in middle-earth again, then this can fit the bill.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Not my problem. Is it yours?

Cool dude, I'm glad you are such a connoisseur of fine art and culture that you only will ever demand greatness on everything, always.

Yall nerds need to get off it. Sorry it didn't meet your expectations (I didn't have any going in) and was entertained enough to turn in to season 2. Its "fine."

Yall arent Star Wars fan level of irritating, but getting there. Its further irritating to be put in a position to have to defend my opinion here. To me, yes, its fine. Are there better shows out there? Of course. If you want a romp through the Tolkien world with some good visuals, and a mediocre script, but its just cool to hangout in middle-earth again, then this can fit the bill.

I rarely demand greatness, but if you're gonna expect me to follow your show, I expect it to be good.

I do, however, demand greatness when it's the most expensive show ever, based on the world created by one of the most genre defining authors of all time.

His work deserves better. And yeah, I see your snark and your attempts to ridicule us for not accepting this garbage.

Yet, nothing you say can have any impact from now on, because to me now you're just the dude who thinks adequate is all we're worth.

I shake my head when I think of the future of entertainment.

No wonder we're being flooded by garbage these days if your attitude is becoming the norm.

Raven117

Gold Member
I rarely demand greatness, but if you're gonna expect me to follow your show, I expect it to be good.

I do, however, demand greatness when it's the most expensive show ever, based on the world created by one of the most genre defining authors of all time.

His work deserves better. And yeah, I see your snark and your attempts to ridicule us for not accepting this garbage.

Yet, nothing you say can have any impact from now on, because to me now you're just the dude who thinks adequate is all we're worth.

I shake my head when I think of the future of entertainment.

No wonder we're being flooded by garbage these days if your attitude is becoming the norm.
You don't have to accept it. There is no "accepting" to be done really. Its just a tv show. Its not Tolkien. It literally can't be. You don't have to like it. I like it only so far as it was fun to watch while I cooked up dinner on a Tuesday to have something on in the background. It was fine. There is nothing wrong with it being "fine." If Amazon can get it to work from a numbers perspective of a show simply being "fine" good for them. Otherwise, don't make another season. Its not my problem. Will watch a season 2 (if I even keep amazon prime...I certainly wont keep subbed just for this), if it comes out. But wont worry too much if it doesnt.

I don't even know how to respond to such an aggressively idiotic statement of "the dude who thinks adequate is all we're worth." Are you literally equating a tv show's quality to some sort of self-worth? I mean, what the everliving fuck? Take a step back from your keyboard. Go to a museum and see some real art (or just re-read Tolkien if you don't want to actually push yourself in the art realm), get some air. You have lost the plot (like the Rings of Power often does).

Kimahri

Banned
You don't have to accept it. There is no "accepting" to be done really. Its just a tv show. Its not Tolkien. It literally can't be. You don't have to like it. I like it only so far as it was fun to watch while I cooked up dinner on a Tuesday to have something on in the background. It was fine. There is nothing wrong with it being "fine." If Amazon can get it to work from a numbers perspective of a show simply being "fine" good for them. Otherwise, don't make another season. Its not my problem. Will watch a season 2 (if I even keep amazon prime...I certainly wont keep subbed just for this), if it comes out. But wont worry too much if it doesnt.

I don't even know how to respond to such an aggressively idiotic statement of "the dude who thinks adequate is all we're worth." Are you literally equating a tv show's quality to some sort of self-worth? I mean, what the everliving fuck? Take a step back from your keyboard. Go to a museum and see some real art (or just re-read Tolkien if you don't want to actually push yourself in the art realm), get some air. You have lost the plot (like the Rings of Power often does).
You're a fan of shooting way above target aren't you?

I don't know you, so I'll refrain from giving you life advice you probably don't need, but I think this is pointless.

You argue why mediocrity is fine.

I argue that it's not.

Okay.

Alex11

Well, don't take it the wrong way, but is your statement better? "Yall nerds need to get off it. Yall arent Star Wars fan level of irritating"

Do you really think these franchises were possible or successful if not for these "nerds"? You know, there are those who are passionate fans of those franchises and not just there to have something in the background, and this just as well fine as those that you say settle for what they get.

Raven117

Gold Member
You're a fan of shooting way above target aren't you?

I don't know you, so I'll refrain from giving you life advice you probably don't need, but I think this is pointless.

You argue why mediocrity is fine.

I argue that it's not.

Okay.
You are right, and I assure you I don't need life advice. I shoot for more than mediocrity (as I'm sure you do as well). I do not, however, need to apply my life philosophy to casual Tuesday night chicken dinner viewing. Its a knock off TV show of truly great source material that you can just chill out to. You think it demands better. Probably right. But I can enjoy it for what it is and not get bogged down in what it could be.
Its a simple product, and one can make a decision to consume it or not based on what you are looking for at the time. Simple as that.

Raven117

Gold Member
Well, don't take it the wrong way, but is your statement better? "Yall nerds need to get off it. Yall arent Star Wars fan level of irritating"

Do you really think these franchises were possible or successful if not for these "nerds"? You know, there are those who are passionate fans of those franchises and not just there to have something in the background, and this just as well fine as those that you say settle for what they get.
The original Tolkien Lord of the Rings didn't need you nerds. I never asked for a "franchise." I don't give a shit. I can appreciate each piece as a stand alone work. As a matter of fact, thinking about it...as soon as nerds coalesce around this kind of stuff, things actually get worse.

Kimahri

Banned
The original Tolkien Lord of the Rings didn't need you nerds. I never asked for a "franchise." I don't give a shit. I can appreciate each piece as a stand alone work. As a matter of fact, thinking about it...as soon as nerds coalesce around this kind of stuff, things actually get worse.
What's with this "you nerds" bullshit? You think you're somehow better because you don't give a shit?

Alex11

What's with the fucking aggressiveness dude, chill, and don't make it personal by starting calling names. It's clear that you have one thing in mind and that's not civilized discussion.

Raven117

Gold Member
What's with this "you nerds" bullshit? You think you're somehow better because you don't give a shit?
Yes.
What's with the fucking aggressiveness dude, chill, and don't make it personal by starting calling names. It's clear that you have one thing in mind and that's not civilized discussion.
Its not all that aggressive. And it became personal when somehow my casually expressing an opinion over a show that to me is somewhat entertaining relegates me to in my life settling for mediocrity. Yeah, that's personal.
So, tell me little hobbit, what is your problem?

Gaming forum?
I don't have a problem. That's the point. You somehow have a problem with Amazon spending its money on something to make a lackluster product. What does this being a gaming forum have to do with anything?

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
Eventually got around to watching the last episode.

AHAHAHAAHAHAA. Jesus fucking Christ! This is like the worst of the entire season rolled into one episode.

If you think this show is good then you are a moron with zero taste in, well, anything. The ways in which this are bad are just too numerous for me to bother listing. From the writing to even a lot of the cinematography.

If you like it, then I feel sorry for you.

Will it statistically be successful? I mean sure, probably. People will watch absolute shite like Big Brother and Love Island. But this is in no way good. And bear in mind that even Amazon's own ratings have it at three stars. The Guardian even shat on it after defending it mid-season.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned

AHAHAHAAHAHAA. Jesus fucking Christ! This is like the worst of the entire season rolled into one episode.

If you think this show is good then you are a moron with zero taste in, well, anything. The ways in which this are bad are just too numerous for me to bother listing. From the writing to even a lot of the cinematography.

Will it statistically be successful? I mean sure, probably. People will watch absolute shite like Big Brother and Love Island. But this is in no way good. And bear in mind that even Amazon's own ratings have it at three stars. The Guardian even shat on it after defending it mid-season.
What kind of pretentious garbage post is this? It’s like me saying you’re a moron for having a Pokémon avatar

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
What kind of pretentious garbage post is this?

It's not a garbage post. The show really is that bad. So bad that you really should feel bad if you enjoyed it.

If that upsets you, you can just ignore my post (click the ignore button for me entirely if you like) and enjoy it. I'll be sniggering whenever someone or the likes of you says this show is good though.

Batiman

Banned
It's not a garbage post. The show really is that bad. So bad that you really should feel bad if you enjoyed it.

If that upsets you, you can just ignore my post (click the ignore button for me entirely if you like) and enjoy it. I'll be sniggering whenever someone or the likes of you says this show is good though.
It’s completely garbage. Would it be fair if I said you’re a moron for liking pokemon?

Kimahri

Banned
What does that say about a grown man watching them?
Good children's shows are also enjoyable for adults. A good story is a good story, regardless of age.

Take films from Studio Ghibli as an example. All children's movies, but fantastic films regardless of your age.

I wish Amazon would have made something for children instead. A pretty, procedural show about hobbits doing hobbit things would be nice. Just a cute way to get kids interested in fantasy and the world of Tolkien.

Oh well, everything needs to be the biggest thing ever these days.

Tams

Gold Member
What does that say about a grown man watching them?

Well, as we're in a thread about a show that just loves a good saying:

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

- C.S. Lewis

And no, that's not an excuse for just plain bad craft. RoP's writing is terrible. The acting is mostly bad. The directing is terrible. The costumes and set are decent, but lazy in some places. The cinematography is okay, but as directed is bad. The music is nothing special, and as directed is downright horribly used. The CGI is great in some places, but under-utilised and bad in some places.

DKehoe

Gold Member

You watched 8 episodes of Rings of Power despite thinking it’s shite.

DKehoe

Gold Member
Remember RE series? Fans of the series have been using the argument of 'have you watched?' all over the internet for centuries. If he watched, I guess he got the right to make his critic.
A couple episodes is enough to give you an idea of what it’s like. If it’s really that bad just stop watching. I’m not saying he can’t criticise the show. Obviously he’s welcome to and I don’t have any issue with people shitting on the show. But this whole thing of “I just spent 8 hours watching one of the worst things ever!” or shitting on episodes 1-7 and then tuning in for 8 is weird to me. Plenty of other shows and films to watch.

Last edited:

Fake

A couple episodes is enough to give you an idea of what it’s like. If it’s really that bad just stop watching. I’m not saying he can’t criticise the show. Obviously he’s welcome to and I don’t have any issue with people shitting on the show. But this whole thing of “I just spent 8 hours watching one of the worst things ever!” is weird to me. Plenty of other shows and films to watch.

Dude, reviewers make scores for every season, WTF. Of course he can.

DKehoe

Gold Member
Dude, reviewers make scores for every season, WTF. Of course he can.
Reviewers get paid to do it. I’m not saying he can’t. I just find it weird that people are shitting on the show so badly (which they are fully entitled to do) but then going back for episode after episode. Why not watch something you enjoy instead? I just don’t get that mindset.

Batiman

Banned
Remember RE series? Fans of the series have been using the argument of 'have you watched?' all over the internet for centuries. If he watched, I guess he got the right to make his critic.
Then why is he saying “ people will watch absolute shite” when he’s one of them….

Makes no fuckin sense criticizing people for watching shit while you’re watching shit along with them. I find it hilarious and says more about them tbh

Last edited:

Fake

Why not watch something you enjoy instead?

Good question. Everyone here should do that, don't you think?
Now, trying say that to a LOTR fan over this series. How can a LOTR fan even giving this series a chance if they don't like?
I don't even know why I gave Iron Man 3 and Caribian Pirates 3 a chance to begin with.

Then why is he saying “ people will watch absolute shite” when he’s one of them….

Makes no fuckin sense criticizing people for watching shit while you’re watching shit along with them. I find it hilarious

You guys are too focused over one hyperbole statment. Many things don't make sense around this series, just a little read over this thread you gonna find, like give a 10/10 for example, but here we are talking about only single part of some random guy over the internet.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Gold Member
Good question. Everyone here should do that, don't you think?
Now, trying say that to a LOTR fan over this series. How can a LOTR fan even giving this series a chance if they don't like?
I don't even know why I gave Iron Man 3 and Caribian Pirates 3 a chance to begin with.
Yes, I do think that. There's a difference between watching a 2 hour movie and realising you don't like it and watching 8 episodes of a weekly tv show.

I'm not saying people shouldn't have given a show a chance. If you're a LOTR fan then clearly it's worth giving it a try even if the critical response isn't great. But there's a difference between watching a couple of episodes and deciding "this isn't for me" and watching each episode, again we're talking about 8 or so hours here, hating them and sitting down for the next one every week.

At that point you're just doing this

simpsons-sideshow-bob.gif

Although at least Sideshow Bob wasn't stepping on the rakes on purpose.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
And he's the cheek to call anyone liking this show a moron... What sorta moron watches something he clearly loathes??

It's completely "meh" TV and I enjoyed it for what it is, high fantasy, massive fucking budget epic meh and something I can watch with the kids without worrying about actual gratuitous violence or sex and they loved it and all the reveals, tbh really looking forward to S2

Batiman

Banned
Yes, I do think that. There's a difference between watching a 2 hour movie and realising you don't like it and watching 8 episodes of a weekly tv show.

I'm not saying people shouldn't have given a show a chance. If you're a LOTR fan then clearly it's worth giving it a try even if the critical response isn't great. But there's a difference between watching a couple of episodes and deciding "this isn't for me" and watching each episode, again we're talking about 8 or so hours here, hating them and sitting down for the next one every week.

I went through this already. The answer I got is “haven’t you heard of hate watching?”. To which I roll my eyes…..

What’s even funnier is that the circle jerk in here are watching the episodes the night they drop. A Friday night…….

Fake

You really think one of us is trying to make a point?

You want a point? You make your own conclusion based of nothing. Me for example, I never cared to watch any of those series to begin with, but some times folks/family usually want me to do with them or recommend. Happens all the bloody time. There are loads of reasons for people watch something they don't even like, neogafers do to get some context before posting, sometimes people read articles saying 'will get better, relax'... there are like thousand reasons to this to happen.

Is drepressing I even need to explain that, but hey simpsons.gif

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
In complete honesty i thought the show was redeemable as long as they didnt make Halbrand Sauron, or even if they did, if they explained why he was on the raft and nailed the ring forging scenes, i would be willing to give the show another chance. But instead in ep 8 we got a huge insult to Tolkien fans and fans of well written TV in general, so yeah, i will not be back for S2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom