• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Season 1

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Eh, it still doesn't say "Lord of the Rings" to me outside of how they replicated the wardrobe design from the films. I mean they appear to have gotten Galadriel - Galadriel of all characters! - so wrong that if there was a three second bit of her slow motion soaring through the air on a skateboard while dual wielding repeating crossbows I wouldn't have batted an eye.

I am going to be going in with such low expectations that I will be shocked if I don't like it at least a little.

Edit: you know what this reminds me of? Remember when the X-Men film and Spider-Man were hits so all kinds of development studios started making absolutely awful comic book adaptations that didn't understand their source material? When they were all aping The Matrix and looked boring and uninspired with people slow motion jumping around? That is the exact vibe every trailer from this show has projected. Boring, whack 2000's era comic book adaptations. What a travesty for such a beloved property.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Will there be a Dragon, Do you think Galadriel will hang out with Smaug and that is why he decides to kick the dwarfs out of their mine. Like a buddy cop show, G&S breaking stuff.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Lord of the rings has always had a chip on its shoulder it did a number on game of thrones.

Fbh

Terrible music for the trailer.
Anyway I expect this to be on par with GOT Seasons 7-8. Entertaining and with spectacular production values for a TV show, but bland writing and ultimately forgettable.

Still think people saying this won't be a massive success are kidding themselves. Nostalgia + popular IP + great production values + most people don't care about the books or lore + probably going to review well = the writing, acting and characters would have to be extraordinarily terrible for this to fail

Kimahri

Banned
Why can't they make a trailer that gives us an idea of what this show is about? It's just a lot of poetic words from people who clearly aren't poets.

Just from the trailer I can tell this is poorly written, and there is nothing here that compells me to watch.

I'll watch the first episode, I'm a huge fantasy and Tolkien fan so I can't resist, but it's in spite of everything they've been showing.

Also, the soundtrack is out now. With a title track by Howard Shore, so anyone who truly thinks amazon are distancing themselves from the movies can yet again, think again.

It's okay, Shore's minutes of work are easily the best though. McCreary's music is unusually lifeless. Just big and epic with little heart. Kind of a let down. Been a fan of his since Battlestar.

ManaByte

so anyone who truly thinks amazon are distancing themselves from the movies can yet again, think again.

They literally showed the WETA Balrog in the last trailer. Who's thinking that?

The whole reason New Line is a co-producer on the series is so it can access the movie designs.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Thought I'd give it another go on the big screen. Still not feeling it.

The writing in this show sounds awful.

"With our hearts. Even bigger than our feet"

Lol.

Kimahri

Banned
Anyway I expect this to be on par with GOT Seasons 7-8. Entertaining and with spectacular production values for a TV show, but bland writing and ultimately forgettable.

Still think people saying this won't be a massive success are kidding themselves. Nostalgia + popular IP + great production values + most people don't care about the books or lore + probably going to review well = the writing, acting and characters would have to be extraordinarily terrible for this to fail
Of course it'll be huge.

Some naysayers claimed House of the Dragon would flop, and it's setting records instead.

I'm not concerned with it flopping or not, I just want it to not be shit.
They literally showed the WETA Balrog in the last trailer. Who's thinking that?

The whole reason New Line is a co-producer on the series is so it can access the movie designs.
I've seen a few. Some people on here argued that the new elven look is so they can differentiate themselves from the movies, to mention something.

ManaByte

I've seen a few. Some people on here argued that the new elven look is so they can differentiate themselves from the movies, to mention something.

Those people are probably the same who think this is a remake of the LOTR book, not a series set during the Second Age some 3,000 years before the movies.

That Saurona.....Well not sure if it is true or not, but it seems they sex change Sauron gender

I Dont Know What To Say Amazon Studios GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Philfrag

Banned
I know art is subjective and all that but to be me this looks awful. Everything looks flat and fake, overdramatic, Americanised, bereft of any identity or vision, which is hilarious considering its Tolkien. Oh well, you have to appreciate the scorched earth approach to adapting beloved franchises. Best to burn it all down and start anew.

Ristifer

Looks okay, but the faux epic nature of these kinds of trailers is grating. Just non-stop platitudes to sound dramatic.

"We must keep going... forever."
"In our heart of hearts, we will overcome..."
"Trust in yourself... never anyone else."
"Look forward, as the past should have no reflection..."
"You have a fighting spirit. Don't ever give in..."

And so on. These aren't even in the trailer, but you can just insert these lines into it. They're interchangeable.

Kev Kev

I don't really care for that trailer. The music was terrible and the whole thing felt vanilla. The last 2 were miles better.

I'm still cautiously optimistic, but less so after that...

Kimahri

Banned
Those people are probably the same who think this is a remake of the LOTR book, not a series set during the Second Age some 3,000 years before the movies.
I haven't met anyone like that.

Show is pretty inconsistent in what they keep and change though, so I can't really fault them too much.

ManaByte

I haven't met anyone like that.

Show is pretty inconsistent in what they keep and change though, so I can't really fault them too much.

Aside from Elrond at the Last Alliance (which is the end of this show), what from the Second Age did they show in the movies that the show is changing?

Hari Seldon

People are also forgetting this can pull in a much younger audience than GoT.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Fbh

Kimahri

Banned
Aside from Elrond at the Last Alliance (which is the end of this show), what from the Second Age did they show in the movies that the show is changing?
Well, elves are clearly aging in this show. Look at Calibrimbor, doesn't look elven at all, just like an avergae british pub owner in his golden yearswith big ears.

I also find the costume design rather poor. It's stylistically different, which can of course be explained with so much time passing, but I find it more calling that the costumes look cheap and, well, in the movies the costumes looked like clothes, here, the costumes look like costumes. It doesn't look lived in and like it has purpose. I mean look at that ridiculous helmet Miriel is wearing, while riding a horse, in front of an army (maybe they're not going to war, but the trailers sure make it looks like she's going to war). It's a nerdy topic, but if you're interested there are some pretty good youtubers dealing with it.

The effects make it looks expensive, but the important stuff looks cheap.

Ulysses 31

Well, elves are clearly aging in this show. Look at Calibrimbor, doesn't look elven at all, just like an avergae british pub owner in his golden yearswith big ears.

I also find the costume design rather poor. It's stylistically different, which can of course be explained with so much time passing, but I find it more calling that the costumes look cheap and, well, in the movies the costumes looked like clothes, here, the costumes look like costumes. It doesn't look lived in and like it has purpose. I mean look at that ridiculous helmet Miriel is wearing, while riding a horse, in front of an army (maybe they're not going to war, but the trailers sure make it looks like she's going to war). It's a nerdy topic, but if you're interested there are some pretty good youtubers dealing with it.

I think harfoots are a breed of hobbits(there's 3 types) but the showrunners say they're not hobbits. 👀

Kimahri

Banned
I think harfoots are a breed of hobbits(there's 3 types) but the showrunners say they're not hobbits. 👀
Oh yeah, that too. Yeah, Harfoots are hobbits, one of three types mentioned in the beginning of Lord of the Rings (might have been The Hobbit, but pretty sure it was lotr). That's some funky bending of the lore, lol. The showrunners saying they are harfoots, not hobbits, is some dumbfuckery. Harfoots are hobbits.

Konnor

Teenage vampire drama music for a LOTR trailer, I was smiling throughout the whole thing. These people are too stupid to even make a proper trailer.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I prefer the previous trailer... The look is AWESOME but this trailer must have been done by a different editing house.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters

It's funny. Galadriel is of the same generation as Celebrimbor's father, yet here she looks like half his age. Nothing in the texts makes him seem particularly "old" by elven standards.

Tieno

Great moving pictures, bad song choice, feels like a fan choice. It does feel like they don’t know how to market this, they’re not setting the right tones.

I still can’t wait for this, hope it delivers. LOTR movie and books took me by storm when I was a teenager.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
It's funny. Galadriel is of the same generation as Celebrimbor's father, yet here she looks like half his age. Nothing in the texts makes him seem particularly "old" by elven standards.
Well, they're condensing thousands of years into a generation ot something, so yeah, age fuckery is to be expected.

Hari Seldon

Great moving pictures, bad song choice, feels like a fan choice. It does feel like they don’t know how to market this, they’re not setting the right tones.

I still can’t wait for this, hope it delivers. LOTR movie and books took me by storm when I was a teenager.
Yeah I'm holding out hope. It might be a fools hope though. Amazon has been really really really bad with their other shit. Wheel of Time is basically 100% fanfic, and hol-e-fuck The League of Their Own casting makes Rosie O'donnell in the original movie look like a professional baseball player compared to the 50 year old soccer moms they cast in the latest one lmao. Of all the flaming piles of dumps on original material I have never seen anything worse than league of their own.

Couldn't even make it to the end.
Two minutes of pseudo-motivational one-liners that sound like they are ripped straight from a dollar store calendar dressed against shitty autotune popmusic is the last thing I want from a LOTR trailer.

"Our hearts even bigger than our feet"... uh huh, and Amazon's wallet is bigger than their ambition, ability or understanding of what makes Tolkien truly great.

Top Bottom