• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Season 1

Kev Kev

I think it was ok, but think how much better it could have been if they had done a full episode on war of wrath or The Nirnaeth Arnoediad
I'm no scholar, but I believe those two events were part of the First Age, dealing with the defeat of Morgoth. The Rings of Power nods to some of those First Age events, but it mostly deals with events of the Second Age and the reign of Sauron. After all, they only had rights to the appendices of The Lord of the Rings, with special exceptions being made by request to the Tolkien estate (i.e. when they showed Valinor and Morgoth in episode 1 of TRoP).

There is still a lot they can take on in the remaining timeline, including large scale battles and heroic events involving iconic Tolkien characters. I'm pretty excited to see where they go with things.

Last edited:

Artoris

Gold Member
I'm no scholar, but I believe those two events were part of the First Age, dealing with the defeat of Morgoth. The Rings of Power nods to some of those First Age events, but it mostly deals with events of the Second Age and the reign of Sauron. After all, they only had rights to the appendices of The Lord of the Rings, with special exceptions being made by request to the Tolkien estate (i.e. when they showed Valinor and Morgoth in episode 1 of TRoP).

There is still a lot they can take on in the remaining timeline, including large scale battles and heroic events involving iconic Tolkien characters. I'm pretty excited to see where they go with things.
If they had followed it fully, it would have been something truly amazing

Kerotan

I've still half the final episode to watch so I'll make my judgement then although loving it so far.

But can I ask about the trilogies. I wanted to stream online and I've noticed I'd need a now TV subscription which I CBA. So I've dusted out my trusty blu Ray collection which my ps5 can play.

But I've the urge to watch the extended editions which can't be streamed anywhere in my region. So I guess it's time to future proof myself against these streaming services and get the extended trilogy on blu Ray.

I believe they got an UHD Blu Ray release with improvements, however they still come in two disc's per film. I'm surprised by this as I thought UHD Blu-ray's had high capacity.

Can anyone recommend me which collection to buy and a reliable retailer online. There's so many different collections being sold and at varying prices.

Edit:
UK Amazon has it for 65 pound
Amazon Uk

But Amazon Germany has it for 44 Pound
Amazon Germany

My only worry is one of the German reviews mentions:

"Whilst the German soundtrack is in full DTS glory, the English soundtrack is only DD. The normal English version of this film is in Atmos."

I'm not sure if this is true or if I even need Atmos if only use TV speakers.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I believe they got an UHD Blu Ray release with improvements, however they still come in two disc's per film. I'm surprised by this as I thought UHD Blu-ray's had high capacity.

Can anyone recommend me which collection to buy and a reliable retailer online. There's so many different collections being sold and at varying prices.
I think these limited edition dvd releases are the only ones that have the theatrical AND the extended edition on a single disc:

The UHD releases for the extended editions all seem to be two discs because they minimised the compression on it, I think each movie is around ~120GB which doesn't fit on a UHD disc.

Tams

I've still half the final episode to watch so I'll make my judgement then although loving it so far.

But can I ask about the trilogies. I wanted to stream online and I've noticed I'd need a now TV subscription which I CBA. So I've dusted out my trusty blu Ray collection which my ps5 can play.

But I've the urge to watch the extended editions which can't be streamed anywhere in my region. So I guess it's time to future proof myself against these streaming services and get the extended trilogy on blu Ray.

Edit:
UK Amazon has it for 65 pound
Amazon Uk

But Amazon Germany has it for 44 Pound
Amazon Germany

My only worry is one of the German reviews mentions:

"Whilst the German soundtrack is in full DTS glory, the English soundtrack is only DD. The normal English version of this film is in Atmos."

I'm not sure if this is true or if I even need Atmos if only use TV speakers.

If you want the extended UHD version on one disc, then you're going to have to buy the multi-disc version and rip it, then convert and compress it to some form of lossy format like mkv.

Kerotan

If you want the extended UHD version on one disc, then you're going to have to buy the multi-disc version and rip it, then convert and compress it to some form of lossy format like mkv.
Yeah I think I'll pass. Do you know does having Dolby digital Vs Atmos make any difference if the audio is just coming from the TV speakers or headphones?

Tams

Yeah I think I'll pass. Do you know does having Dolby digital Vs Atmos make any difference if the audio is just coming from the TV speakers or headphones?

I'm no expert on the matter, but not really. Perhaps if you have some very high end headphones, but Atmos was never really meant for that.

One thing to consider though, is if you do get Atmos speakers in the future, you'll have that version already. For slightly higher price, that seems worth it. Unless you fancy learning German that is.

Kerotan

I'm no expert on the matter, but not really. Perhaps if you have some very high end headphones, but Atmos was never really meant for that.

One thing to consider though, is if you do get Atmos speakers in the future, you'll have that version already. For slightly higher price, that seems worth it. Unless you fancy learning German that is.
😂😂😂 Zee German may come in handy if they ever bring the fourth Reich 💂

Yeah I get you. Well it's going to be a Christmas present for me and I've never been an audiophile. With a young family and probably more kid's yet to come it would probably be 25 years before we'd even consider it and our living room is kinda small anyway.

And by then there will probably be a super duper gandalf edition where some future ultra vultra blu ray format finally has the capacity to put each movie on one disc.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Some interesting rumours have surfaced via 4chan and being covered by OneRing. Most of these seem plausible to me, given the bullshit from first season.

The Valar/Maiar shit sounds awesome though, but the rest are already raising my blood pressure.

So if some or all of these rumours are true, then one would assume that Amazon have the rights to the Simarillion in some form? That's the big news there.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Some interesting rumours have surfaced via 4chan and being covered by OneRing. Most of these seem plausible to me, given the bullshit from first season.

The Valar/Maiar shit sounds awesome though, but the rest are already raising my blood pressure.

So if some or all of these rumours are true, then one would assume that Amazon have the rights to the Simarillion in some form? That's the big news there.
Are they trying to insinuate that Bombadil and Goldberry are Ungoliant and Morgoth?

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Yes and there's no way even those idiots are crazy enough to go through with that. So I reckon those particular rumours are bogus and stupid.
It's definitely fucking stupid. No way in hell would the Council of Elrond consider for a second giving the ring to him

Top Bottom