• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings: Gollum | Gameplay Reveal

Surf Ninja

I'm not into this game in the slightest, but Gollum as he exists in the book is a great character to base a game around. He follows behind the fellowship for most of the first book, which means he traveled to and through every location, including Moria, without being detected save for a couple times Frodo hears some footsteps he can't place and sees some eyes, but even Frodo can't be sure if it's his mind playing tricks or an actual threat. The orcs are also after Gollum because they want to capture and kill him at Sauron's orders. And he pissed off the Elves, and Aragorn, and Gandalf. Everyone wants to kill him.

Just the Moria sequence alone meant he had to stealth his way through the maze of the mines while keeping enough distance not to be detected by the fellowship, while also avoiding the orcs and eventually the balrog.

tl;dr Some pitiable nerd shit justifies Gollum as the lead character for a game

SJRB

Gold Member
Kinda reminds me of Styx, which is a pretty okay game. However the character design especially isn't doing this game any favors.

I feel bad for these devs. This project was doomed from the start and a lot of them probably knew it.

Raven77

Trailer dept. really had their work cut out for them.

Why does it even exist?

I'd rather have a game where I play as an ENT and have to grow a garden/forest after it was hit with a blight or something. I can think of 57 games in the LOTR universe that would have been better. Blacksmith Simulator in the Mines of Moria, Rise of the Ring Wraiths where you fly those dragon things, Hobbiton Village Builder.

Man with the videogame market these days just give me a damn ‘The Battle For Middle-earth ll’ remake with mod support.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
What are Monolith busy with that we get stuck with this?

Wonder_Woman.jpg

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Gollum looks buttfuck ugly but these characters are basically an exact counterpoint. The game as a whole may have a visual balance that makes it more than the sum of its parts, if they can pull off what it looks like they're going for.

Fuz

Banned
I'm not into this game in the slightest, but Gollum as he exists in the book is a great character to base a game around. He follows behind the fellowship for most of the first book, which means he traveled to and through every location, including Moria, without being detected save for a couple times Frodo hears some footsteps he can't place and sees some eyes, but even Frodo can't be sure if it's his mind playing tricks or an actual threat. The orcs are also after Gollum because they want to capture and kill him at Sauron's orders. And he pissed off the Elves, and Aragorn, and Gandalf. Everyone wants to kill him.

Just the Moria sequence alone meant he had to stealth his way through the maze of the mines while keeping enough distance not to be detected by the fellowship, while also avoiding the orcs and eventually the balrog.

tl;dr Some pitiable nerd shit justifies Gollum as the lead character for a game
Yep, Gollum is actually a great character, a very interesting choice and absolutely great for a stealth game.

And people here wanted the most basic, predictable choices for your usual homozeniged copycat action adventure.

spawn

I wish we had a game where you played as Aragorn or Gandalf or even just a player-created character. They couldn't even get Andy Serkis to voice Gollum.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I think nobody will care but here is the cover art
71zXhhZyOmL._SY445_.jpg

Soon will be in 9.99$ when you buy a Frosted flakes with Tony the tiger

ac819d31a7a0dd6a6868dabed8de8119--mexican-funny-mexican-humor.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom