• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings: Gollum | Gameplay Reveal

TheKratos

From all the character you can pick you choose freakin Gollum. Hell I could understand if this was purely a graphical showcase where you witness Middle Earth events from Gollum's perspective with mindblowing graphics but this looks terrible.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Oh wow. My hopes were real low and I'm still disappointed. Visually it looks terrible, but also kind of reminiscent of a GameCube or PS2 3D platformer. Maybe the gameplay will be tight, but then I'd expect them to actually show some gameplay in their gameplay reveal.

Poor Gollum his haircut looks like he is a member of the Beatles, its like his mom gave him a haircut for the first time and she fucked it up big time. 🙄
The game it self...it looks like a mediocre movie-game conversion, but a low budget one.
I dont know, it looks like its not my cup of tea....

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Wow.

GWZR3Pz.png

pCBbD7n.png

uDZb4KS.png

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
giphy.gif

I'm actually stunned by how bad that was.. If you had told me this was some art student fan-project.... I'd believe it. Hell, I've played fan-projects that showed better than that.... That's a bad way to debut a trailer.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

What do you even do in this game besides sneaking around? There can't be a combat system. That would be ridiculous. So is it just puzzles? What is the gameplay? How is this a 8-10 hour game?

The only way this game makes sense is if it rips off Styx; you can technically engage in hand-to-hand combat, but there's a 95% chance you'll get killed if you do, BUT otherwise you have to sneak around and perform stealth kills in elaborate ways.

Saber

Gold Member
The idea it self is not great(like...playing as a character doing nothing but constantly hiding?) and the presentation don't look good either.

Bragr

Banned
Well, I don't think the idea of an adventure game with Gollum is a bad idea, but Styx was not very good, not bad but it has a lot of problems, and they shouldn't have used those games as a basis for this game, but I guess it's all they know.

I think it's a case of a smaller studio having too much ambition.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
That would be incredible. Imagine Breath of the Wild only you play as Bilbo in a LOTR universe. Would be godlike.

Actually basically Zelda is inspired in some way by LOTR, right?

Could be a game similar to ALTTP.

What do you even do in this game besides sneaking around? There can't be a combat system. That would be ridiculous. So is it just puzzles? What is the gameplay? How is this a 8-10 hour game?

The safest thing is that if an orc sees you, it will poop you.

What can a skinny do with a mastodon?

At most I could throw a stone at his head and that's it.

I don't see that another game can have this title.

They would have put an original isildur type character... not this thing

Lookin like shit bro, not mirin

I almost burst out laughing at the "epic" music as it shows gollum just crawling around lmao, Jesus

Last edited:
I still can’t believe that out if all the amazing characters in the LOTR universe they thought Gollum was the one players would want to play as. Also it really looks rough around the edges, animations look stiff and clipping with the hair, really expected more.

I own basically all the LOTR games and all I want is a new Battle for Middle Earth, or even a remake of the action games based on the movies, those were amazing. I feel sorry for the devs, I don’t know how they got sold on this snake oil.

I still can’t believe that out if all the amazing characters in the LOTR universe they thought Gollum was the one players would want to play as. Also it really looks rough around the edges, animations look stiff and clipping with the hair, really expected more.

I own basically all the LOTR games and all I want is a new Battle for Middle Earth, or even a remake of the action games based on the movies, those were amazing. I feel sorry for the devs, I don’t know how they got sold on this snake oil.
Why would you feel sorry for them? Regardless of what the game is about, it looks like shit

Moochi

Maybe there were copyright issues with making the characters look too much like the Peter Jackson versions, so they gave Gollum a british invasion toupee, dressed Gandalf in a sheepskin rug, and made Elrond a glam queen.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah, this looks bad. But I also don't understand why you'd even want to make a game about Gollum? Who thinks that idea is exciting?

Lady Jane

Banned
Maybe there were copyright issues with making the characters look too much like the Peter Jackson versions, so they gave Gollum a british invasion toupee, dressed Gandalf in a sheepskin rug, and made Elrond a glam queen.

They did their own take based on Tolkien's description of Gollum. The issue is that Jackson's movies made an accurate depiction of him so anything else is going to look like a budget version.

card_Smeagol.jpg

Last edited:

Vitter.

This has always looked terrible, art direction for the character is oof.. but then they were saying OH THIS IS GOING TO LOOK AMAZING, REALLY NEXT GEN and then you see that gameplay.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
WTF lol they're playing such epic music and it's literally just climbing and gollum scurrying along at a jogging pace the whole trailer. It looks fucking awful but I might hate play it like Balan Wonderland at some point just to enjoy it like I enjoy schlocky horror movies

Kev Kev

Why not Bilbo, or Frodo, or Aragorn... F-ing gollum..
smeagol/gollum is one of the most important characters in all of tolkien lore. hes also an extremely interesting character imo. his character touches on a lot of themes like mental health, ptsd, addiction, loneliness, paranoia, fear and despair, to name a few. so i imagine they saw potential to explore that character and his significance in the story of The One Ring, and thats why he was chosen

as far as the game they made around him and how good the gameplay is, it remains to be seen if its any good or not. i think the trailer looks ok. i might check it out when it releases. i love lotr and sneaky gameplay so it could be a winner for me.

i dont care about graphics or agreeing with the "correct" hive mind opinion. ill play it for myself if i want and then judge it accordingly.

Apocryphon

smeagol/gollum is one of the most important characters in all of tolkien lore. hes also an extremely interesting character imo. his character touches on a lot of themes like mental health, ptsd, addiction, loneliness, paranoia, fear and despair, to name a few. so i imagine they saw potential to explore that character and his significance in the story of The One Ring, and thats why he was chosen

as far as the game they made around him and how good the gameplay is, it remains to be seen if its any good or not. i think the trailer looks ok. i might check it out when it releases. i love lotr and sneaky gameplay so it could be a winner for me.

i dont care about graphics or agreeing with the "correct" hive mind opinion. ill play it for myself if i want and then judge it accordingly.
This is fair, but there's no getting around the fact that it really doesn't look great.

While I agree that Gollum is an interesting character and could easily star in a compelling game that isn't combat heavy (A Plague Tale did that well), this trailer did literally nothing to generate any enthusiasm in me.

All I’m wondering is who on earth thought this was a good idea, I mean even the premise is god awful. It’s like some 100 year old WB exec was like: ‘everybody liked Gollum from the films, lets make one of those newfangled video game things, the kids will think it’s the bee’s knees.’

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
I don't really understand why people have a problem with a game based on Gollum? Why not? I think that in itself is a great idea as Gollum is an incredibly interesting character. If this game is good or not I have no idea though. Can't say it looks very hot though. Voice actor for Gollum is the worst take I've heard in a while, and if you're not gonna base it on the movies, at least take Gollum in a different direction from the movies.

And why do all the screens posted look like they're some zoomed in part of a much larger picture? Looks weird.

Well, I don't think the idea of an adventure game with Gollum is a bad idea, but Styx was not very good, not bad but it has a lot of problems, and they shouldn't have used those games as a basis for this game, but I guess it's all they know.

I think it's a case of a smaller studio having too much ambition.
Styx was made by Cyanide and released by Focus home, this is by Daedalic. Are the Styx devs working on this, or are you just confusing the studios? FWIW, I thought of Styx too, could be a decent enough blurprint for a Gollum game. I enjoyed Styx a lot.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
I'm genuinely surprised with how bad this looks. From the outset I wasn't particularly eager to play a stealth game anyway, let alone as Gollum.

1MUumAV.gif

Bragr

Banned
Styx was made by Cyanide and released by Focus home, this is by Daedalic. Are the Styx devs working on this, or are you just confusing the studios? FWIW, I thought of Styx too, could be a decent enough blurprint for a Gollum game. I enjoyed Styx a lot.
Holy shit, I thought it looked so much like Styx that I thought it was no doubt the same devs. Styx is a bit of an unusual stealth game, I couldn't imagine that 2 different studious would build a similar sort of game like that. Guess I was wrong.

Joho79

Of all the lotr lore they go with gollum. I want to be an Uruk-hai or something badass. Not sneak around and hide🥺

MAtgS

Reminds me of the trailer for the LOTR MOBA a decade ago where Gollum was the last character shown. As if he was supposed to be the "Oh shit, it's him!" moment of the trailer. Game devs seem to have a much higher opinion of the guy than they should.

Emedan

Haha wth is this? I saw the title of the thread and thought it was a joke, who would ever come up with the idea of making a game about Gollum?!

Top Bottom