• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings: Gollum | Gameplay Reveal

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Experience the untold story in The Lord of the Rings: Gollum™, a story-driven action RPG where our twisted protagonist is on a quest to regain the only thing precious to him. Torn by his fractured psyche, players will have to manage both Sméagol and Gollum on a journey that will take him across famous locales, revealing more about his time as a slave below the Dark Tower and his stray with the Elves of Mirkwood, as he interacts with iconic characters from the series.

The Lord of the Rings: Gollum™ will be available September 1, 2022 on PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S and Nintendo Switch at a later date.

Herr Edgy

Not sure what everyone's complaining about?
Sure it doesn't look AAA. More like a typically German approach to AAA with a bit of jank and lack of technical marvel, but it looks fine?

Not sure why they call it "gameplay reveal" though. There is barely any gameplay in there.

Personally I'm disappointed in the music but interested to see more.

This has GOTY written all over it. Elden Ring better watch out.

lord of the rings GIF

dorkimoe

Was excited to get a lord of the rings game. But why would I want to play as him? Crawl around and be boring

Robbinhood

Banned
I thought this was next gen only, that was the biggest draw....

Joke game. The grassy area looks decent at least.

LordCBH

Looks like utter dogshit. Who the fuck asked for this? Why is it so hard for someone to make an open world middle earth rpg? I want to explore middle earth and do quests and shit. I don’t want this.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
In what world did someone survive enough fentanyl to think to themselves:

"You know, I've been given charge of a new LotR game. Will it be an Aragorn origin story? A sweeping epic RPG in the first age? A Diablo Clone where you play as the Nazgul and pillage communities? Nah, it's a Gollum game! Sans Andy Serkis. It will look like fucking Okami had non consensual sex with BotW and they had a hideously deformed but high functioning child! Gameplay? I always like Metal Gear Solid. But it needs more tall grass and climbing sections! Gollum is a loner? That's okay, we'll just pay the voice actor double because he's playing both of Gollum's personalities, and that's PLENTY of banter that won't get infuriatingly old in two hours! WINRAR GAIZ!!!!!"

VN1X

Banned
Huh weird I thought this was next-gen only? Anyway despite the sub-par visuals (for something that's riding the coattails of such a huge franchise) I think this still looks mundane from a gameplay perspective. Not sure who this is for tbh.

Allandor

Don't know what you people have. It looks ok. It is not a AAA look but that is acceptable.
I really hope they get the gameplay right. They don't have that much experience with that

Arun1910

I'm surprised something like this god green lit.

Surely in the pre dev stage this would have sounded shit. If not then then at least after the first prototype level.

This developer is going to go bust.

That really looks bad, I was hoping someone would make a game based on Gandalf or even take more creative license and base it on the Blue Wizards that we don't know much about. I'd much rather play as one of them than Gollum, even if it looked good graphically (which this does not, it's terrible) I wouldn't want to play it. A full stealth game with him talking to himself the whole time? no thanks.

Top Bottom