• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker Remade By Fan in Unreal Engine

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The video itself, was created by one Vitor Maccari, who shared the resulting product on his own YouTube channel. Maccari said that he had been looking for a project to tackle that would help get him more familiar with using Epic's Unreal Engine. While this venture was done primarily to learn how the creation software worked, he also said that he wanted to have fun in the process. As such, he thought that remaking The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker would allow him to get more enjoyment out of the process.

Speaking more to how he was able to pull this off in the first place, Maccari said that he reused the animations he created for Wind Waker project that he worked on earlier in 2021. "I've reused the animation and the 3D assets from a short movie I made a few months ago. I've also modeled some new assets like grass, palm trees and rocks," he said of this creation process. "I've made the handheld movements myself with my DSLR camera. Then I tracked the shots using Nuke (Software) and imported them to Unreal."

clem84

Gold Member
Way too uncanny-valley-ish for me. I honestly really dislike the look. They took an art style that looked great in cel-shaded graphics and tried to make it work in realistic 3D. Yeah, not a fan.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Nintendo weak hardware:
Looney Tunes No GIF by swerk

bender

What time is it?
Way too uncanny-valley-ish for me. I honestly really dislike the look. They took an art style that looked great in cel-shaded graphics and tried to make it work in realistic 3D. Yeah, not a fan.

Mostly agree but I don't mind the Link model tbh.

NikuNashi

Looks like a student showreel. Windwaker was unique because of the cel shaded art style, take that out and you have something quite generic looking. Water is nice though.

Looks lovely as a standalone project, great work by the artist.

However, as a Wind Waker "remake" it loses a lot of the charm and visual distinction from the original, in my opinion.

Top Bottom