• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Did You Know Gaming?

Scotty W

Gold Member
I was just thinking the other day how much I enjoyed the stealth elements in Ocarina of Time. I hope one day to see more. Perhaps there could be more in the Hyrule Warriors spinoff, or maybe they could get Hideo Kojima to make a game.

Sorry for the thread bump, but I'm having difficulty deciding between playing TLoZ Ocarina of Time for the first time on the Wii (N64 version, purchased from the eShop) or on my 3DS via my retail cart. I have two pristine 3DS consoles and a perfect condition Sony CRT to play the game on.

GAF Nintendo crew: what do you recommend? Should I go for the Nintendo 64 original (and pander to my nostalgia) or should I go for the remaster on the 3DS (my favourite handheld of all time)?

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Sorry for the thread bump, but I'm having difficulty deciding between playing TLoZ Ocarina of Time for the first time on the Wii (N64 version, purchased from the eShop) or on my 3DS via my retail cart. I have two pristine 3DS consoles and a perfect condition Sony CRT to play the game on.

GAF Nintendo crew: what do you recommend? Should I go for the Nintendo 64 original (and pander to my nostalgia) or should I go for the remaster on the 3DS (my favourite handheld of all time)?
3DS. QoL makes it.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

I dont think you can go wrong with either. If you want the purist form go for N64 but if you dont care about that aspect go 3ds.

The 3DS remake is quite faithful and really only makes things better imo. Not having to go into the menu to switch things out all the time combined with text scrolling improvements are small but had massive appeal to me as someone who played the original.

Plus you'll get master quest once you beat it, which is inferior for the most part imo, but its still fun to play.

Kamina

Golden Boy

3DS Remake for the character models and more detailed world.

crozier

Never beat the Water Temple. Maybe 2021 is the year. If only I could beat some sense into my childhood self: “Don’t skip Thanksgiving with the family to catch UPS! You won’t beat it anyhow!”

Definitely go for the 3DS version. The upgraded visuals are excellent while still keeping the same look - also playing the game at 30fps vs the 20ish of the N64 original is worth it alone. The little QoL improvements are also huge, like the color coding of the water temple.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Never beat the Water Temple. Maybe 2021 is the year. If only I could beat some sense into my childhood self: “Don’t skip Thanksgiving with the family to catch UPS! You won’t beat it anyhow!”
I never understood why people got stuck at the Water Temple. It's menu intensive but not difficult. Shadow or Spirit Temples on the other hand...

Thabass

Definitely go for the 3DS version. The upgraded visuals are excellent while still keeping the same look - also playing the game at 30fps vs the 20ish of the N64 original is worth it alone. The little QoL improvements are also huge, like the color coding of the water temple.
I don't agree with the art style. The art style is more cartoony than anime to me. There's a very big different in the art and animation style. Prefer the older art than the new in-game models.

3DS. Anyone else is a hippie arguing vinyls are superior to compact-discs.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I never understood why people got stuck at the Water Temple. It's menu intensive but not difficult. Shadow or Spirit Temples on the other hand...

I always found shadow to be pretty easy. It's pretty linear but I dislike Spirit temple most.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Ocarina of Time was my first and favorite video game. There are OBVIOUSLY better games and experiences in this day and age, even better Zelda games, but nothing matches the nostalgia of stepping out into Hyrule for the first time. Forest, Fire and Spirit Temples were my favorites. Fucking loved Stalfos and Iron Knuckles. Bolero of Fire and Twinrova's themes are GOAT. So many great memories for a game just dripping with atmosphere. It's the game that made me pick up an entire hobby. Cheers.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I was just thinking the other day how much I enjoyed the stealth elements in Ocarina of Time. I hope one day to see more. Perhaps there could be more in the Hyrule Warriors spinoff, or maybe they could get Hideo Kojima to make a game.
Wow, that would be so good! In fact, it's too good to ever happen :messenger_frowning_

Top Bottom