• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening |OT| The Ballad of the Wind Fish is charting again!

Ulysses 31

In the hero mode, hearts aren't dropped by enemies or found in bushes and stuff. You have to rely on the fairy fountains or buying the hearts outright in the shop, beating a dungeon (which automatically refills your hearts), or finding 4 heart containers (which also automatically refills your hearts).
Or catching fairies with a bottle to release them when you need to heal.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Just finished the game. Here are some impressions:

Gameplay
Given that I had recently finished Zelda LttP on the Super NES Mini, I knew to expect that classic 2D Zelda’s still play incredibly well, you would not be able to tell they are 25 years old. So in that sense, Link’s Awakening wasn’t a surprise - it’s brilliantly fun.

Like I mentioned earlier, compared to LttP, it is actually a substantially better game. This surprised me, since I always glossed over it in 1993 due to the black and white graphics. But looking at the game with fresh eyes right after playing LttP, it’s so much better with many QoL improvements.

It has a huge amount of sub-systems and minigames, which makes it really rich compared to LttP. This amount of gameplay diversity was certainly very unique in 1993:

- Trendy Game minigame
- Trade quest
- Side scrolling tunnels
- Seashell quest
- Fishing minigame
- Rafting minigame
- Figurines quest

Challenge
While some of the bosses are on the easy side, the challenge the game offers feels just about right. The latter dungeons present pretty hard puzzles, but not too hard to make me look them up online. Many bosses were innovative as well, and it was always satisfying to finally guess how to hurt them.

The game has a fair amount of content to it, I would estimate I took 15-20 hours with it in the last week. It’s one of the few games lately that I felt an incredible draw to, I was looking forward to getting back from work to play. Several guys at our gym were playing at the same time, it was fun to chat about it as we progressed.

Graphics
I love, love, love the look. It’s a divisive style, in A Wind Waker way, but for me it’s such a charming aesthetic with lots of soul. The plasticky feel and shallow DoF makes it feel like a fun play set. I did notice the frame drops when coming out, but they didn’t bother me at all after the first hour.

Sound
The music in the game is phenomenal, and the new orchestral (?) soundtrack sounds epic. It sounds like what the Zelda concert sounded like. The majestic soundtrack really elevates the end credits.

Storyline
The storyline of LA is deeper and more imaginative than that of LttP, for example. The game is full of characters with a lot of soul, making the world a friendly and fun one to explore. The premise of the game is both beautiful and sad.

As a remake
Surely this has to be the best remake of all time. The amount of effort they put into reinventing the game is really commendable, not just a remake with HD graphics, but a full reimagining:

- All new graphics style never seen before for Zelda
- Phenomenal orchestral soundtrack
- New free-roaming movement, in stead of screen-by-screen movement
- Reimagined combat
- New dungeon creator
- New key mapping with less need to keep switching items around
- Excellent, redrawn, actually usable map

Bottom line
Hands down my GOTY so far. A wonderful, feel good reimagining of a game I didn’t even remember being this good. Certainly one of the Top 3 Zelda’s along with OoT and BotW. One of the few games in the last years I just could not put down.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I finished this a few days ago and really enjoyed it. The dungeons were all really well done and a lot of fun. I’d be up for more classic top down Zelda if they made more games like this.

Meesh

As a Zelda fan it's shameful for me to admit that I've never dug into this gem, I'm just thankful I've got a second chance at such a gorgeous and whimsical classic.

I had to look up a guide because I got stuck on dungeon 6.

Turns out it was from not killing all the green gels in a room that spawns a staircase. Bullshit.

Arachnid

Just finished the game this morning. Great game, though Link to the Past is still my favorite 2D Zelda (this might be a rose tinted glasses thing since it's the first video game I've ever played). I've officially played all the 2D zeldas (other than the very first for NES). I'm glad I got the chance to give this one a playthrough. I was always disappointed I missed out on the original.

Coflash

I'd love to buy this but all the comments in regards to frame dips are turning me off. Does anyone know if they plan to address it? It seems very odd that they'd put out a Zelda game in this state. Visually it doesn't look very taxing either. I wish you could lock it to 30.

MagnesG

Banned
I'd love to buy this but all the comments in regards to frame dips are turning me off. Does anyone know if they plan to address it? It seems very odd that they'd put out a Zelda game in this state. Visually it doesn't look very taxing either. I wish you could lock it to 30.
I'd hope so. I'm sure Nintendo will address and release the patches for these any time soon, they never leave a game bugged without any attempt to fix the issues, and this particular one is a serious case imo.

Game is really great though, even with hiccups. Dips occasionally 1-2 seconds when coming to overworld and constant dips on the small swamp section. Other dips are rare in between.

Reactions: TLZ

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
You can believe me or not, the choice is yours. But, I can 100% honestly say that:

- I noticed it initially, mainly because people were screeching about it so much.

- It only really happens when you exit or enter a house/new screen.

- It literally lasts for about 1 second, maybe 2.

- After my initial notice of it, it didn’t even register to me that it was happening for the rest of the game.

- Anyone saying that the framerate issue affects gameplay (made them miss jumps, etc) is a complete fucking liar.

TL/DR: Unless you are a completely anal person that is counting pixels and frames in every game you play because you have nothing better to do than jump on the latest internet controversy/outrage instead of just, you know, enjoying a video game, you will like it just fine and the framerate issue will be completely negligible to you.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
In the hero mode, hearts aren't dropped by enemies or found in bushes and stuff. You have to rely on the fairy fountains or buying the hearts outright in the shop, beating a dungeon (which automatically refills your hearts), or finding 4 heart containers (which also automatically refills your hearts).

Yikes. Sounds tough but intriguing. Thanks for sharing that. Guessing the layout serves this to feel some sense of balance?

TLZ

Banned
So I'm right at the end of level 7, but I'm thinking of leaving to do some seashell collecting. Am I safe to leave and come back at the same point I am now? Or will I have to redo everything from scratch? Because I really don't want to go through that again..

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
So I'm right at the end of level 7, but I'm thinking of leaving to do some seashell collecting. Am I safe to leave and come back at the same point I am now? Or will I have to redo everything from scratch? Because I really don't want to go through that again..

You’re fine to leave, it won’t reset and you’ve probably opened the teleport by now. But why not finish it and then go find seashells, there is one more dungeon after 7.

TLZ

Banned
You’re fine to leave, it won’t reset and you’ve probably opened the teleport by now. But why not finish it and then go find seashells, there is one more dungeon after 7.
Yea I went ahead and did that. I thought this was the last one.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Meesh

So I just started playing this and already you can feel an interesting amount of depth for a top down Zelda that adds intrigue to the adorable art style and draw. It's all very children's book.
I've always felt Nintendo had a masterful grasp on how to use 3d space effectively to make things "feel full". But they also have a knack for taking an art style and designing that game space around it... if that makes sense.

There's just so much to admire here. The depth, the art and animations, the bosses...the warm fuzzy feeling invoked when you watch the cutest little Link that ever did! Yewwwww betcha little guy, don't you just wanna pinch those cheeks??

It's my first playthrough and as you can see I'm in love with it already. I'm enjoying it more than Minnish Cap and much more than ALttP.

This is a god tier remake of the highest commanding order.

...and that order is love...

Zelda love. *sniff* excuse me...

Last edited:
Hey, I'm already up to the windfish's egg, but the game just got an update patch so I went back to Mabe village to see if it altered performance.

Is it just me getting inside my own head or is the frame drop when entering the village reduced or gone now?

ExpandKong

Banned
Just beat it. It’s...fine, I guess.

I mean don’t get me wrong, it’s great. It’s just that LA was my first Zelda game and I feel like they really could’ve and should’ve done more here.

It feels more like Link’s Awakening Ultimate Edition than it does a remake. Which is fine I guess, because the original and DX versions have become a chore to get through with that two button limit. The art style works here and I like the new score but everything feels so conservative. I guess that’s to be expected though, Grezzo made quite a few changes to Majora’s Mask 3D and got their asses slapped about it.

Still great, I guess I’d just wished for something even grander for a remake of my first Zelda. Oh well.

ChuyMasta

Why is jumping not assigned to a button like the shield and dashing?! I would've accepted R2 or L2. But it would be far better to use Y to jump and then L2 and R2 to assign other items along with X.

Oh well. I'm enjoying the game and I'm glad a certain temple is still accessible relatively early. It sure makes hero difficulty more manageable. Also, did the heart count go up to 20? I don't recall minigames handing out so many heart pieces in the GB version.

Just wrapped it up. Very happy with the art style and overall charm. Those little gameboy sprites are carved into my memory forever, but these cutesy models create a similar vibe that suits the game while being modern at the same time. And what a classic this game is...It's something real special to revisit Koholint after all these years.

It's just cute now, but that ending was pretty emotional when I was a kid, a real tear jerker. See, it was the first Zelda I ever played, and I spent literal months lost in some of the harder dungeons. I would just give up for a while and wander the island killing baddies, talking to npcs, or sometimes finding new treasure. I knew the game intimately and became very invested in its world - so accepting that it was all a dream, that little Marin, and BowWow, and those kids playing catch were all gonna vanish was kinda rough. I was legit sad and conflicted about waking the Windfish.

But you know, in a way... every good Zelda is like a beautiful dream you're gonna be forced to wake up from at some point.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
finally defeated dungeon 6 The Face Dungeon. that was the coolest one yet! i loved the boss too, how he kind of warns you at the end, makes you feel almost like more the villain. hehe. then after stepping outside, the Owl swoops down and tells you, "go kill the next monaster!" lol im like wait who is this owl anyways? the game has a really cool take on the hero's journey. getting Shadow of the Colossus vibes a bit rn.

oh yeah i learned an easy way to fill up if you are low on hearts: just find a field of grass and run through it! grass patches hold random drops so anytime u are low on health they drop plenty o hearts.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Why is jumping not assigned to a button like the shield and dashing?! I would've accepted R2 or L2. But it would be far better to use Y to jump and then L2 and R2 to assign other items along with X.

Oh well. I'm enjoying the game and I'm glad a certain temple is still accessible relatively early. It sure makes hero difficulty more manageable. Also, did the heart count go up to 20? I don't recall minigames handing out so many heart pieces in the GB version.
I have set Y for Jump since the start. X is used for the items and just cycle through them there.

On another note, where do I see how many hours I've played? I can't find it anywhere. On the Switch home screen it gave me something very vague like "started 5 days ago" or whatever it was when I last ch checked.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I have set Y for Jump since the start. X is used for the items and just cycle through them there.

On another note, where do I see how many hours I've played? I can't find it anywhere. On the Switch home screen it gave me something very vague like "started 5 days ago" or whatever it was when I last ch checked.
It gives you a proper play time after 10 days.

I know. It’s weird and annoying. Why, Nintendo?

MagnesG

Banned

It you could with the mobile app? Not sure though.

TLZ

Banned
Apparently you can check detailed play times on the parent controls app, but not the official Nintendo Switch app.
Oh. I'll try that! I was just trying the Nintendo online app but it wouldn't sign me in. So let's see here..

I thought I was gonna enjoy this more but I see myself getting stuck or randomly backtracking all the time. For example...I was wasting 2 hours in a dungeon wondering wtf am I doing wrong. Had to look up a guide, I didnt kill the 3 enemies in the correct order :messenger_expressionless:. I dont like that type of waste my time gameplay mechanics. Its a beautiful game but I dont see myself finishing it if it continues like this.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I thought I was gonna enjoy this more but I see myself getting stuck or randomly backtracking all the time. For example...I was wasting 2 hours in a dungeon wondering wtf am I doing wrong. Had to look up a guide, I didnt kill the 3 enemies in the correct order :messenger_expressionless:. I dont like that type of waste my time gameplay mechanics. Its a beautiful game but I dont see myself finishing it if it continues like this.
imagine me when i was 11 years old being stuck for freaking ages on the OG version
no internet,

just the telephone tree and random guesses.

best zeldur evur

this game is still old school srsly USE THE DAMN BEAK for the owl

Last edited:
I finished it and while I liked it, I think it's inappropriately priced at full $60 even though I bought it for $50 at Wal-Mart.

The reason I say this is because while I skipped the Wii-U, I played Wind Waker HD for the first time a few months ago and was blown away by it's visuals even though I played the original on Gamecube when it first released. Wind Waker HD is still 1080p at 30fps with some frame drops. But the game is also six years old and $20 now.

If it was priced like Captain Toad at $40 I would agree with that. I just can't justify something like this being full priced.

MagnesG

Banned
I finished it and while I liked it, I think it's inappropriately priced at full $60 even though I bought it for $50 at Wal-Mart.

The reason I say this is because while I skipped the Wii-U, I played Wind Waker HD for the first time a few months ago and was blown away by it's visuals even though I played the original on Gamecube when it first released. Wind Waker HD is still 1080p at 30fps with some frame drops. But the game is also six years old and $20 now.

If it was priced like Captain Toad at $40 I would agree with that. I just can't justify something like this being full priced.
So you mean WW HD is $20 now, it's not fair for Awakening being launched with $60 price?

So you mean WW HD is $20 now, it's not fair for Awakening being launched with $60 price?

Nintendo handheld games were always cheaper than their console counterparts and Link's Awakening was designed when this was the case when it originally came out. With a few exceptions they were designed to be short in length to make them better suited in handheld. It's still a game boy game with a fresh coat of paint. Link's Awakening was originally designed to be a $30 game.

So yes despite paying full price myself, I think the game should have charged $40 and is not appropriately priced at $60.

It's a good game but it's not worth $60.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It's a good game but it's not worth $60.
That mostly depends in individual person. This my first experience with Links Awakening and I put good 20 hours in this game, I would say I got my money’s worth. To me the is worth full price solely depends on if the game is satisfying, it doesn’t matter how long it is.

That mostly depends in individual person. This my first experience with Links Awakening and I put good 20 hours in this game, I would say I got my money’s worth. To me the is worth full price solely depends on if the game is satisfying, it doesn’t matter how long it is.

To each their own, but if any other developer other than Nintendo released a game of this scope for $60 they would get laughed off the internet even if it got rave reviews.

This is just like how if any developer has any sleazy mtx policies they get raked over the coals on the internet yet when Nintendo locks fucking Epona behind an amiibo in Breath of the Wild nobody says anything.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I love this game so much so for me it is worth $60. I never played the original but always heard it was good. I always wanted to play it, but I couldn’t get into prolonged playing of Gameboy emulated games. So this was the ultimate game for them to remake IMO. Not only does it play great it looks great too. They did a damn fine job.

If they ever drop a vr mode for this beautiful game I will freak out

I’m at dungeon 7 of 8 now, just took a break to go seashell hunting and looked to see I have 15 hours into the game. Two more dungeons to go (?) and hard mode to try out as well. Very happy with this!!

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
This game made me realize I hate 3d zelda games.

I bought, played and never finished a single one since ocarina of time came out. Only one I beat in decades was between two worlds, and links awakening will be the 2nd one as soon as I can find out where the last silver key I fucking need is in turtle rock god damnit. I spent 3 hours today bumbling around and I can't find the damn thing.

MagnesG

Banned
To each their own, but if any other developer other than Nintendo released a game of this scope for $60 they would get laughed off the internet even if it got rave reviews.

This is just like how if any developer has any sleazy mtx policies they get raked over the coals on the internet yet when Nintendo locks fucking Epona behind an amiibo in Breath of the Wild nobody says anything.
MTX is not a fucking physical amiibo, and tell me a game with the same scope and caliber as this game priced $60.

Last edited:

BlackTron

The framerate problems feel like a modern-day equivalent of the action freezing as it scrolled to the next screen on Game Boy.

It's bizarrely authentic.

Anyway considering that I remember playing this game without so much as a lit screen. In only shades of grey. If it was worth that, it's worth some framerate dips here and there for sure.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Just finished it. Took me 35+ hours and enjoyed every minute. Every Zelda game I played so far have been great, and I haven't played them all yet. I look forward to more Zelda games! 3D, 2D, 1D, 0D, my body is Reggie.

35 hours???

Anyway can someone get me tip for color dungeon entrance. I actually finished 4 dungeons already, got the boots and all butwhen I get to cemetery it says something how im weak and its not for cowards so basically the last tombstone wont move to reveal the staircase. I had to look up a guide and everyone says after 3rd dungeon you can enter but I did 4 and got the swimming flippers as well and it still wont let me in. Is it because of the little pink ghost floating above my head...do i have to send him to his house first?

TLZ

Banned
35 hours???

Anyway can someone get me tip for color dungeon entrance. I actually finished 4 dungeons already, got the boots and all butwhen I get to cemetery it says something how im weak and its not for cowards so basically the last tombstone wont move to reveal the staircase. I had to look up a guide and everyone says after 3rd dungeon you can enter but I did 4 and got the swimming flippers as well and it still wont let me in. Is it because of the little pink ghost floating above my head...do i have to send him to his house first?
Did you
get the more powerful bracelet
?

I don't know if that's the reason, but you did mention you still being weak.

And yes I did take more than 35 hours. I really like to take my time finding everything 😁

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
me too but i didn't bother getting all the stones. Besides the ones i needed for 100%

It was the little ghost I had to escort first, thats why it wouldn't let me continue. Once I got him to his gravestone, the cemetery gates opened up.

Reactions: TLZ
MTX is not a fucking physical amiibo, and tell me a game with the same scope and caliber as this game priced $60.

Amiibo are not the same as MTX, they're something worse because Breath of the Wilds amiibo policy made bootleg NFC amiibo cards a legitimate business.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I mean, Smash Link has been out of circulation for a while and goes for $20 minimum on amazon these days.

MagnesG

Banned
Amiibo are not the same as MTX, they're something worse because Breath of the Wilds amiibo policy made bootleg NFC amiibo cards a legitimate business.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I mean, Smash Link has been out of circulation for a while and goes for $20 minimum on amazon these days.
What's worse about it lol. All of those are legitimate businesses with their respected demands and purposes, there's nothing worth crying about it like this;

Also Smash Link is worth $20 for me. :messenger_weary:

Ardently defending Nintendo's questionable pricing policies with rehash titles and Amiibo practices with Breath of the Wild is lol. EA needs more people like MagnesG MagnesG

Top Bottom