• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Here’s Why Nintendo Pulled the Plug on a Live-Action Series

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Back in 2015, Nintendo was considering a live-action Netflix series based on The Legend of Zelda. But then Nintendo decided to cancel the series, and now we know why.

Eurogamer reports that on The Serf Times prodcast, comedian Adam Conover was working on a Claymation StarFoxadaptation, but when The Wal Street Journal leaked word about the Zelda series, Nintendo halted all of its adaptations.

"Then, a month later, suddenly there were reports Netflix wasn't going to do its Legend of Zelda anymore,” said Conover. “I was like 'what happened?' And then I heard from my boss we weren't doing our Star Fox anymore. I was like 'what happened?'. He was like, 'someone at Netflix leaked the Legend of Zelda thing, they weren't supposed to talk about it, Nintendo freaked out... and they pulled the plug on everything, the entire programme to adapt these things."

brian0057

Banned
Between Dragon's Dogma and the upcoming Resident Evil and Tomb Raider shows I've little hope for those to be good.
Since the guy that made Castlevania was cancelled, our chances of getting a quality animated show based on videogames is miniscule.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
LMAO, such a Nintendo move. Remind me of them pulling the plug on high voltage game too because of something like that.
Since the guy that made Castlevania was cancelled, our chances of getting a quality animated show based on videogames is miniscule.
Cancelled for real or twitter cancelled?

Netflix adaptations are horrendous.

They either outright suck, or they show signs of promise with a watchable first season followed up with mediocrity or worse.

Nintendo dodged a bullet. Good thing the some retards at Netflix were willing to throw away potential millions in future contract revenues so they could show the internet something early.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I honestly stopped trying to guess what Nintendo will do and why they make the choices they make.

Im not saying this was a good idea (it doesnt sound like a good idea), but some of their decisions are just baffling. But im not a Nintendo big wig, just a guy with a keyboard :D

royox

How would a Zelda netflix adaptation be?

Zelda would be a strong independent princess that doesn't need any man to be rescued, in fact she is the MC and hero of the series.
Link would be black, and gay. Also a secondary character.
Ganondorf would be a white cis straight man, the representation of all evil in the world.
Impa as a 2.1m long trans woman
Saria should be a boy instead of a girl, love interest of Link.
Maron has to be a black woman because SJW hate gingers for some reason

f23.jpg

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Cancelled for real or twitter cancelled?
I think twitter cancelled.
I heard (or read, I don't know) that there were some allegations made against Warren Ellis but that's as far as I know.
Either way, he was booted from any Netflix show moving forward.

StormCell

I honestly stopped trying to guess what Nintendo will do and why they make the choices they make.

Im not saying this was a good idea (it doesnt sound like a good idea), but some of their decisions are just baffling. But im not a Nintendo big wig, just a guy with a keyboard :D

No, you are absolutely right. Nintendo operates like a bat shit crazy grandparent suffering from severe dementia.

And I mean it from the bottom of my Nintendo-loving fanboy heart.

GreenAlien

Good choice Nintendo. It would have been terrible. If you want to go multiplatform, consider ports of your games, not live action series.

levyjl1988

Banned
tenor.gif

I wanted to see the outcome, positive or negative regardless.
It's just another interpretation out of many out there anyways.

Top Bottom