• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trais of Cold Steel IV announced for the West!

The game was released a few years ago in Japan, so I'm glad it's been finally announced for the West. PS4, Switch and PC.

And yes, if you are a JRPG fan, you should play it!

PS: the title should say "Trails".

Last edited:

drganon

I'll check it out eventually. I might go and play 1 and 2 first though. Made the mistake of starting with 3. Good game, but the story and characters would've made more sense and been more impactful if I started from the beginning.

Doom85

They're on my to-play list. Later in the year is probably the ideal time for me to start 1. RE 3, FF VII, and Last of Us 2 have my attention for the next two months, and then after that I plan on playing Tales of Berseria so that I'm all caught up when Arise comes out supposedly this year (about to finish Zestiria. It's good, but definitely one of the weaker Tales). After that, I should be free to jump into Cold Steel 1 especially since I wait at least a year after a new system comes out before buying one so PS5 games won't be demanding my time just yet.

And in case someone mentions it, I'm aware of the pre-Cold Steel games and that Cold Steel 3 does incorporate quite a few elements from them, but I've been told you can totally enjoy the Cold Steel entries just fine on their own and I have to draw the line somewhere as spending 400 hours on 4 games is already a lot even if I have a blast. I'm not saying I'll never play the pre-Cold Steel games, but I want to focus on the newer ones first, just how I'm going to do it.

If you want to understand the whole storyline, it's best to play from Trails in the Sky 1 (on PSP/Vita and Steam). It's also recommendable to play Trails from Zero (available in English only on PC through fan-translation).

Though if you don't want to give 500 hours of your life before playing this game, at least I recommend playing from the first Trails of Cold Steel (PS Vita, PS3, PS4 or Steam) to understand the main story of this game. ToCS3 isn't a good starting point from my point of view :/

RPGFan.com has a god guideline on how to play this series (yes, this is one of those series where the games tend to be interconnected with the other games).

Fuck yes. I adore this series.

I hope CS4 comes to GOG.

I have the entire collection of Trails games including imports such as Zero and Ao no Kiseki Evolution.

I even have a few of the Japanese magazines.

Can't wait.

I hope we still eventually get Zero and Ao officially localized one day.

Reactions: Isa
Cold steel story is interesting for sure.

Falcom shits on nomura.
Trails is episodic in an ongoing story that's managed to do this with nine.... actually ten when Hajimari comes out.... games so far. And they're only about 60 percent through with the story, yo.

Kondo > Nomura

Then again they could pull an alternate timeline "remake" scenario with the Time Sept-Terrion lmao

Last edited:
Top Bottom