• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes Trails series discussion |OT| : All aboard the head-patting express!

Durask

Got back into Cold Steel 1.
First bought it for PS3 and never touched it.
Then bought it for Steam and played for a few hours and then put in on back burner, mostly because PS2 level graphics were a turnoff.
Now restarted it and it's great, going to do a CS marathon and then hopefully CS4 will come out on Steam.
I did use Cheat Engine a bit, mostly to get extra bonding points :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

gtrwll

I also started a NG+ in Cold Steel 1. Thought I'll play it up to the point where Trails to Azure begins and then play them simultaneously chapter by chapter when Azure comes out. I'm already picking up things I missed on my first playthrough because of the lack of context from the Sky trilogy (I originally played CS1 & CS2 before Sky).

So Falcom's 40th anniversary stream is a couple of weeks away, what do you think they'll show? New footage of Kuro no Kiseki? Maybe NISA will announce soon after the localization of Hajimari no Kiseki? New Ys? Or just the usual BFN!?

Mister Wolf

So Falcom's 40th anniversary stream is a couple of weeks away, what do you think they'll show? New footage of Kuro no Kiseki? Maybe NISA will announce soon after the localization of Hajimari no Kiseki? New Ys? Or just the usual BFN!?

My most wanted game.

GeorgPrime

Banned

Nice.

First AEW Revolution on Sunday and two days later this

So today i finally finished Trails Of Cold Steel IV and saw the true and secret endings, it may come as a surprise that I've just finished it since made this thread and i'm a big fan of Trails and Falcom in general but the thing is i spoiled myself after i finished 3 with it's big cliff hanger ending, i went and watched a playthrough of the game with machine/amature translation so i knew all the twists and endings including the secret one, so i was delaying my playthrough to forget as much as possible, and my final thoughts are that it's a great send off and resoultion to a LOT of plot points since Trails in The Sky FC! Yeah it's cheesy and some times pulls a big ol' ass pulls but it’s shounen so it comes with the territory!

Loved the resoultion for a lot of plot points, like Renne's past and Elie's mother and so many other minor and major plot points and sexual tensions.

It's simply a giant fan services to everybody who played the series since the beginning and i really don't know how people who started with Cold Steel 1 much less 3 can really appreciate it.

Bring on Hajimari NISA! I've already fallen into my old habit and went and saw some of the translated playthroughs of the game but i held myself back (Haha...) this time, the music is *chef's kiss*.

gtrwll

Whew, finished Trails to Azure last night. Another great game in the series, despite not having such a great payoff as Sky SC in the end. Character development was spot on again, and the political climate of Crossbell was definitely an intriguing setting.

The Azure Tree seemed a bit overlong for the amount of actual content. And the ending felt quite sudden for some reason. I knew from Cold Steel 2 that Crossbell will be invaded by Erebonia shortly after the game, but it was just stated with one or two sentences. The cast of characters felt great, but I kinda missed the comical character like Olivier from Sky. But the tone of the duology was much darker than that of the Sky trilogy, so it might not have fitted the theme. Anyways, definitely happy I played all the previous games before moving to CS3.

Paltheos

The end of an era: Takahiro Unisuga is rumored to have quit working for Falcom. For ratio of absolute bangers, Ryo Takeshita was my favorite composer at the studio, but for longevity nobody beats Unisuga (and the output between the two is at least comparable). For 15 years, Unisuga's been responsible for the majority of tracks loved most by Falcom's fans (some fans on reddit list out a bunch here). He's also responsible for some of the longest-running musical motifs in their music. Most memorable for me is the ones from "The Final Choice" being reused in "Heimdallr, the Vermillion Capital", "Phantasmal Blaze", and another prominent track in the to-be released Trails into Reverie (which I'm not risking spoilers on by googling).

Hayato Sonoda is still on staff, and he's put out allot of good songs over the years, but popular consensus is that he's not quite as good as Unisuga. Falcom also recently hired Shuntaro Koguchi, who some people have reported to have output good music. There's allot of concern among fans about the direction of Falcom jdk though. Some of their work is being outsourced to mainstays like Yukihiro Jindo, who's more known for his fantastic arrangements (I remember him most for rearranging the entire Oath in Felghana OST into the something really fantastic), but most of it is believed to be produced by Mitsuo Singa, to the extent that a significant portion of Ys IX's soundtrack may have come from him.

Fans are generally negative towards Singa, claiming that he doesn't have the touch or expertise to consistently put out great music. I haven't played the latest titles yet so don't have an opinion. Some of his tracks I have heard are pretty good. I plan on getting to Ys 9 before the end of the year.

The end of an era: Takahiro Unisuga is rumored to have quit working for Falcom. For ratio of absolute bangers, Ryo Takeshita was my favorite composer at the studio, but for longevity nobody beats Unisuga (and the output between the two is at least comparable). For 15 years, Unisuga's been responsible for the majority of tracks loved most by Falcom's fans (some fans on reddit list out a bunch here). He's also responsible for some of the longest-running musical motifs in their music. Most memorable for me is the ones from "The Final Choice" being reused in "Heimdallr, the Vermillion Capital", "Phantasmal Blaze", and another prominent track in the to-be released Trails into Reverie (which I'm not risking spoilers on by googling).

Hayato Sonoda is still on staff, and he's put out allot of good songs over the years, but popular consensus is that he's not quite as good as Unisuga. Falcom also recently hired Shuntaro Koguchi, who some people have reported to have output good music. There's allot of concern among fans about the direction of Falcom jdk though. Some of their work is being outsourced to mainstays like Yukihiro Jindo, who's more known for his fantastic arrangements (I remember him most for rearranging the entire Oath in Felghana OST into the something really fantastic), but most of it is believed to be produced by Mitsuo Singa, to the extent that a significant portion of Ys IX's soundtrack may have come from him.

Fans are generally negative towards Singa, claiming that he doesn't have the touch or expertise to consistently put out great music. I haven't played the latest titles yet so don't have an opinion. Some of his tracks I have heard are pretty good. I plan on getting to Ys 9 before the end of the year.
What's the "source" for these rumors??? Falcom English fans is some of THE most annoying fanboys on the Internet and some of them have a raging hate on for Singa including a guy who comments on EVERY. SINGLE. TRACK made by him on YouTube, that's some capital A autsim.

Paltheos

What's the "source" for these rumors??? Falcom English fans is some of THE most annoying fanboys on the Internet and some of them have a raging hate on for Singa including a guy who comments on EVERY. SINGLE. TRACK made by him on YouTube, that's some capital A autsim.

Best source I could find is a link to an atwiki page from reddit, which allegedly reports he stopped working there last year. I'm not sure how these pages work though, or if it's even owned by him. Everyone seems to be taking the claim at face value.

I'd like to say the only way to know for sure is if his name doesn't appear in the credits of future Falcom projects, but if he works as a 3rd party outsourcer there'd be no way to know given Falcom's crediting policies (bar another leak like the one a few years back).

Last edited:
Best source I could find is a link to an atwiki page from reddit, which allegedly reports he stopped working there last year. I'm not sure how these pages work though, or if it's even owned by him. Everyone seems to be taking the claim at face value.

I'd like to say the only way to know for sure is if his name doesn't appear in the credits of future Falcom projects, but if he works as a 3rd party outsourcer there'd be no way to know given Falcom's crediting policies (bar another leak like the one a few years back).
Reddit is Reddit i don't believe them one bit! If this was 2chor some credible Japanese gaming site it would be a different story.

Top Bottom