• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III coming to PC on March 23

Graciaus

Nice. I was waiting for all four to come out before I jump into this series. But it will take me awhile to play the first three before the last even comes out. I played a little of the first one on the Vita but stopped after a few hours when I learned it wasn't a stand alone game.

KàIRóS

So with this, every Trails/Kiseki except CS4 is playable on PC and it's very likely that CS4 will release eventually on PC too when NISA localizes the PS4 version.

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Oh but I thought.....
OWlYgmx.png

FStubbs

EDIT: N/m, this is coming to GOG as well. Might be NISA's first actual GOG release?

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
EDIT: N/m, this is coming to GOG as well. Might be NISA's first actual GOG release?

Nah, Ys VIII came out on there previously, along with some other smaller stuff. It's kind of hit and miss. Stuff like Disgaea still isn't on there.

Madonis

Not a full one, just one that fixes what NISA messed up on purpose. --> additional info
I have seen fan-patches like that before, so for now I'm hopeful.

Unless someone has a real example that proves otherwise, this comes across as speculation over an issue that is mainly stylistic.

I wonder if many (or any) of the people who are complaining about this have enough of an idea about how translation and localization work. It seems...doubtful.

Way back in the day, some folks seemed to think that making anime/manga fansubs with explicit swearing and aggressive cursing was always the equivalent of an inherently "better" or "uncensored" translation. Newsflash: More often than not, that approach absolutely wasn't correct and the results came across as juvenile or outright stupid when analyzed in context.

In other words, there's more than one valid way to translate a line or phrase and the context is relevant. It's something that has to be discussed on a concrete case-by-case basis. But as a quick guideline...the most literal word or phrase isn't always going to sound suitable or natural in the target language. What's important, in my opinion, is to transmit the original meaning. Not necessarily to slavishly maintain the original wording in a literal sense. Especially because unintended implications and misunderstandings also differ across languages.

There's also the known fact that humor (including sex or gender related humor) is one of the most subjective and complex things to translate between two different cultures, if you still want the player to smile or chuckle without getting unnecessarily confused or perhaps even accidentally offended. Believing that the most crass or provocative equivalent would automatically be the best translation choice for a joke (thus implying that anything with more tact is "censorship")...is very questionable.

Last edited:

GreenAlien

There's also the known fact that humor (including sex or gender related humor) is one of the most subjective and complex things to translate between two different cultures
Sexism and humor, as "sensitive" woke people understand it.. has almost nothing in common with the larger US culture. "Sensitivity" isn't fun.

But even if it did, when enjoying foreign entertainment, be it books or games.. part of the enjoyment comes from it being "different". Erasing that in a misguided zealot effort for "cultural appropriateness" isn't right. And no, we are not talking about sayings or word puns or "onii-chans" that do not work at all translated. That's very much different from editing out perceived sexism or substituting what they consider "silly" with memes.

Madonis

Sexism and humor, as "sensitive" woke people understand it.. has almost nothing in common with the larger US culture. "Sensitivity" isn't fun.

But even if it did, when enjoying foreign entertainment, be it books or games.. part of the enjoyment comes from it being "different". Erasing that in a misguided zealot effort for "cultural appropriateness" isn't right. And no, we are not talking about sayings or word puns or "onii-chans" that do not work at all translated. That's very much different from editing out perceived sexism or substituting what they consider "silly" with memes.

I'd say it's a lot more...granular than that, because even within those arbitrary categories you won't always find everyone laughing at the same joke. Humor isn't that monolithic.

At this point, nobody has proven that any significant change has been made. Therefore, to scream about "censorship" seems silly. We're not talking about changing a cutscene or altering clothes. Many people haven't played the game and are simply reacting to vague, throwaway comments by the localization team. I don't think any of the actual players had noticed anything that was seriously wrong beforehand and the game has already been out for a while.

Regarding your second comment...I believe the best translations are those that convey the same underlying meaning or emotion in a manner that can reach the most people within the target audience (in other words, the most important factor is the ultimate effect, not the specific means involved). This can and does include the possibility of finding something that feels more familiar to the English reader, culturally speaking, rather than more alienating.

That's why it can be argued that Working Designs actually did a pretty good job with their localizations despite the silly introduction of, say, Bill Clinton references (ah, those were the ultimate meme of the 1990s). They still managed to convey the main emotions behind the story of Lunar, for example, even if you can find an endless number of little things they changed or rewrote in the process.

Preserving "difference" is a more abstract and intangible goal, frankly, because in reality it's essentially a matter of degrees rather than an absolute concept. I don't think that, for instance, toning down a sex joke while still replacing it with another sex joke would be going from heaven to earth in this respect. In practice, the jokes would serve the same role.

Last edited:

Paltheos

cuz Durante?
i am concerned about the quality of the localization, tho

I was pretty scared going into Ys 8, but NISA cleaned it up pretty well. I mean, there were definitely typos here and there that should have been caught with a full playtest (I saw a couple sentences without verbs or objects lol), but there was no awkward English, most of the dialogue felt sufficiently personalized. Coming of Cold Steel 1 and 2 earlier in the year from XSeed, I was... surprised by how ok with it I was.

And obviously we'll be fine on the technical side because Durante is a hero we need but not one we deserve. The champ even fixed up Ys 8 too this month... right after I finished it lol.

I mean, if we're talking bad localization, I'm much, much more scared for Persona 5 Royal in a few months. Atlus USA used to be a golden child for me but they've been on my shitlist ever since they fucked up Persona 5's localization so bad. I really hope they cleaned up the script :(

gtrwll

I tried the demo on Switch the other day and liked it, but I'm thinking of playing the previous two games first. How do they stand up compared to this third game, gameplay/quality-wise?

SantaC

I tried the demo on Switch the other day and liked it, but I'm thinking of playing the previous two games first. How do they stand up compared to this third game, gameplay/quality-wise?
i am playing it right now.

Animations are better. Graphics still dated.

Gameplay is improved from CS1&2 because of QoL fixes. Story is pretty intense.

Chapter 3 ending is shocking.

mejin

Wonder if NisA will bring CS4 to PS4 this year. After you guys play CS3 you will understand me haha

Last edited:
Top Bottom