• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The legend/myth of RE4 will never die

Hey GAF, just came to the conclusion that Resident Evil 4 will never die! It is immortal beyond comprehension

What I mean is that like, 16 years later from it's release I'm still learning and discovering new things about this legendary game!

Yesterday amongst other materials, I came across a guide that details how to operate the Trial Edition of RE4 with debug menu active...OH MAN WAS THAT EPIC! I actually used unused abilities, most likely originating from the RE3.5 collective itself! Of the ones I tried, Slow is the most notable one...imagine Vanquish slowdown mode within RE4! Its just as orgasmic as it sounds! To think abilities like those made it to this final version of RE4...wow its like discovering the game again for the first time

fart town usa

Gold Member
It really is an amazing game.

You know I prefer the classic era of RE but you'd have to be crazy to not see that RE4 is essentially a perfect game for what it is.

I'll always think it's a "bad" RE game but as a game itself, it's basically flawless. I love it when people have a game they absolutely love and manage to find new things in it. That's how I am with RE 96, each time I play I'm always switching up my route and I just love it, always keeps the game fresh to me. RE4 is the same way with how you can go about dispatching enemies. So much variety.

Last edited:

Deerock71

Of the ones I tried, Slow is the most notable one...imagine Vanquish slowdown mode within RE4! Its just as orgasmic as it sounds!
Saturday Night Live Love GIF by The Lonely Island

GloveSlap

Yeah, i'm playing the VR one right now and its still great. Can't wait for Mercs mode.

The Gamecube might not have been the best system, but Resident Evil 4 and Metroid Prime were mind-blowing at the time.

It was stunning at it's release. What it was doing with Gamecube hardware at the time was mindblowing. I couldn't believe it. Bought it more times than I can remember. I think it deserves it's accolades, but it feels like Capcom every few years is like: Member' RE4?

Yeah, I get it Capcom

giphy.gif

I wanna see them innovate like they did with that jump from Code Veronica to RE4.

Last edited:

tommib

It was stunning at it's release. What it was doing with Gamecube hardware at the time was mindblowing. I couldn't believe it. Bought it more times than I can remember. I think it deserves it's accolades, but it feels like Capcom is like every few years is like: Member' RE4?

Yeah, I get it Capcom

giphy.gif

I wanna see them innovate like they did with that jump from Code Veronica to RE4.
Playing RE4 when it came out was one of the biggest tech/gameplay jumps I’ve witnessed. I remember looking at the Cube and thinking, that little thing is able to produce this? It was totally insane.

The forced black bars for sure helped condensing the graphic fidelity but nothing looked as good as RE4 when it came out. Totally groundbreaking. CAPCOM has yet to replicate that feeling. RE7 in VR came close.

I find the beginning bit of the game boring, but, once you get in to it (not too long after you start), the game ends up being a great game.

Ashley can drown in piss, though, she was annoying. We didn’t need a Sherry 2.0.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa
I've never met someone who doesn't like it
It has its fair share of detractors. Probably the biggest group being the mega "fans" of the original PlayStation trilogy. In their eyes, RE4 "killed" Resident Evil.

As if "Resident Evil" is supposed to be only one kind of thing. If it were up to that portion of the fan base, we'd still be playing fixed camera games. (And this is coming from someone who loves the fixed camera games.)

Cryio

I played and finished RE4 for the very first time this year. Played the GameCube version at 30 fps (via Dolphin).

It's one of the most amazing games of all time. I liked it so much I played it immediately right after on the PS2 (PCSX2). This is a 20+ hour game. I did it twice back to back, it's SO GOOD.

Honey Bunny

It has its fair share of detractors. Probably the biggest group being the mega "fans" of the original PlayStation trilogy. In their eyes, RE4 "killed" Resident Evil.

As if "Resident Evil" is supposed to be only one kind of thing. If it were up to that portion of the fan base, we'd still be playing fixed camera games. (And this is coming from someone who loves the fixed camera games.)
I don't count tank control purists as people

Easily the greatest paced video game ever. It's just perfect.

Some of the smaller details that some folks discovered always intrigued me. Like the 2D image of the guy just randomly inserted in the distance at the ruins

So many things to discover!

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Very excited to jump into a VR playthrough when I have time.
I'll be playing it next week for the first time.

I'd also buy the game again if they put out a Switch version with actual well done gyro aiming. The Wii version is currently my favorite.

V4skunk

Banned
I never enjoyed RE1-3 as a kid and still don't like them now, solely down to the controls and slow gameplay.
I watched my friend play them all though back in the day.
RE4 was the first game in the series I ever finished(multiple times). The only thing I never liked about RE4 was the lack of zombies.

tygertrip

Thats fair enough, since they quit making the old style (I think). I never really liked them, Code Veronica was alright. I was too old to be scared by them, I was old enough to drink. I did dig the hell out of REmake on the GameCube. BTW, RE7 in VR most certainly tore my old ass up. Fuck.

tygertrip

I'll be playing it next week for the first time.

I'd also buy the game again if they put out a Switch version with actual well done gyro aiming. The Wii version is currently my favorite.
Just wait until the villagers are closing in on you and you are desperately trying to manually reload your gun and pick up ammo. Then you turn around and there are two villagers right behind you. You’ll forget all about the Wii version.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
They are just doing that with all the games so far. The originals were all remade and none of the originals suck, they just want to update for the newer gen.

What they really need to be focusing on is Code Veronica.
Turning Code Veronica into an action game could make the game what it obviously wanted to be but couldn‘t.
As it is, it’s the epitome of everything wrong about classic RE, with possibly more cheese than action RE. The worst of both worlds, which is quite the feat.

I haven’t played RE4 in years, but when it was new I played it several times in a row on GC and later played the PS2 version, too. The pacing is phenomenal, and getting better and better at disposing of enemies while optimizing your arsenal was so satisfying. Hard not to love this game.

Fahdis

It used to be my Top 3 games of all time. And then I played it again last year :/. I think the game is really showing its age. This was my 7th playthrough.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I've never met someone who doesn't like it
There are plenty of them on the internet. The Capcom forum had a bunch of them. GAF even has a few.

They lie to themselves, but it's okay. We all know the truth.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Amazing action game. Massive influence on game design. But ffs it left the Survival Horror genre in a coma.
Who cares? Survival horror when defined as intentionally shitty controls and frustrating player punishments was the last wave of decrepit, out of date quarter eating game design philosophy. If Resident Evil 4 killed that, then good. RE4 was scarier than any of the Resident Evil games that came before it. The
lady pinned to the wall by a pitchfork through her head
made me jump four playthroughs in a row. The atmosphere as Leon explores the road to the village was creepy as fuck. Garradors and Novistadors were spooky as hell. Regenerators and Iron Maidens still give me the creeps on replays to this day. RE4 was everything good about RE without the crap that made it less fun. And it has some of the best shooting in any game to this very day. It did horror well.

It also did survival well. Punishing you for saving then dropping cheap deaths on you and sending you back to the last time you saved was a garbage mechanic that, again, was part of an outdated game design philosophy. If that's what the "survival" in survival horror means, then go play old shitty NES games with 3 lives and no continues. (And that's not even addressing the fact that "survival horror" is a marketing term that Capcom invented. If it's a genre, they made it. RE4 came out less than 10 years after the inception of the genre and was created by the people who coined the term. If they say it's survival horror, I say they're right.)

Last edited:
I still play through RE4 2 or 3 times a year. While yes people will complain it doesn't have the Resident evil "feel" of 1-3, but just as a game period it's one of the best ever, and at the time there was nothing more praised than it. I'm sure when PS6 and Xbox XYZ comes out, they'll make a version for it as well. The combination of story, gameplay, atmosphere, and replayability is top tier.

Top Bottom