• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us TV Show Leads To Huge Boost In Game Sales

Fitness Gym GIF
Last of Us Part 3, Abby walkthrough gameplay leak.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Last of Us Part II

August

US/CA: 10th
EU: 7th

September
US/CA: 11th
EU: 15th

October
US/CA: -
EU: -

November
US/CA: 4th
EU: 4th

European GSD November 2022 Top 20 (Digital + Physical)
12th

December
US/CA: 7th
EU: 5th
Sales have been solid over the past 5 months.

I would be surprised if The Last of Us Part II made the top 20 NPD charts in January. But if it does, then that would be great.

Sales charts around the world should be great. Sales might remain steady and then slightly increase after they're done watching the first season of The Last of Us.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Naughty dog has a history of moving on

Theyve stopped making every franchise they've ever made

Studios and companies change.

sure, but that doesn't mean they'll outsource The Last Of Us....

It merely means they'll move on likely after the 3rd game or something (or 4th)

but the other half of ND already has a new IP ready to go so...

Bragr

Banned
The synergy of games & tv shows/movies is gonna be a huge theme in the next decade. Every big publisher is gonna get their franchise into Hollywood.

With millions of gamers already as pre-installed audiences, these shows have a massive handicap for success.

With the show clearly giving the games a boost I decided to check the sales legs for Part 2 for the last six months. Safe to say its got really good legs these days.

Will be interesting to see how it performs in the 2-3 months after the show ends as it's been a strong 6 months

Main comparison to RDR2 as that also doesn't have a PS5 SKU and we know that sells very very well.

PS4 PSN sales
August 2022: 10th US/CA and 7th EU (RDR2 14th US and didnt chart EU)

September 2022: 11th US/CA and 15th EU (RDR2 6th in both)

October 2022: Didnt chart in this month

November 2022: 4th US/CA and 4th EU ( RDR2 8th in both)

December 2022: 7th US/CA and 5th EU (RDR2 6th in both)

2022 Total: 12th US/CA and 8th EU (RDR2 6th in both)

January 2023: 7th US/CA and 7th EU (RDR 2 and GTA 6th)

February 2023: 1st US/CA and 1st EU (RDR2 4th and 5th)

gothmog

Gold Member
The synergy of games & tv shows/movies is gonna be a huge theme in the next decade. Every big publisher is gonna get their franchise into Hollywood.

With millions of gamers already as pre-installed audiences, these shows have a massive handicap for success.
Nah. There will probably be a few high profile flops like Tomb Raider and then the industry will be afraid to take risks for a while.

xrnzaaas

Nah. There will probably be a few high profile flops like Tomb Raider and then the industry will be afraid to take risks for a while.
My money's on Fallout and Twisted Metal tv shows being big flops in the upcoming months.

With Tomb Raider tv series it doesn't have to be bad. A lot will depend on the casting (no afroamerican or flat chested Lara's pls) and budget.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
I wish there was a PS5 upgrade or PS5 disc of TLOU Part 2, because playing the PS4 Part 2 after the PS5 Part 1 Remake makes Part 2 feel boring.

Yes, I’m talking about the Duelsense haptics and trigger effects.

Try it

Go play TLOU Part 1 Remake for 25 minutes, then play Part 2. You’ll immediately notice an emptiness… something missing

vivftp

I wish there was a PS5 upgrade or PS5 disc of TLOU Part 2, because playing the PS4 Part 2 after the PS5 Part 1 Remake makes Part 2 feel boring.

Yes, I’m talking about the Duelsense haptics and trigger effects.

Try it

Go play TLOU Part 1 Remake for 25 minutes, then play Part 2. You’ll immediately notice an emptiness… something missing

A PS5/PC version of TLOU Part 2 will come. Tom Henderson had leaked it was in the works last year. If I had to take a guess, it'll probably come out within a few months of Season 2 of the HBO series dropping.

Eiknarf

Banned
A PS5/PC version of TLOU Part 2 will come. Tom Henderson had leaked it was in the works last year. If I had to take a guess, it'll probably come out within a few months of Season 2 of the HBO series dropping.
Wait! For real? There’s gonna be a Last of Us Part 2 Remake?

I mean, how much better can it look? Because it still looks as good as the new Part 1, and any new game now.

If they make Part 2 look any better, they’re gonna have to remake the remake of Part 1 again.

All we players need in Part 2 is the haptics and trigger effects that the Part 1 utilizes. That’s the huge missing element in the PS4 version of Part 2

Last edited:

gow3isben

A couple cry babies on Reddit review bombing is not crippling a franchise

Must be tough to see this IP he so successful.

Lemme have a bit of that salt to put on my French fries. I'm gonna relish every last moment of the anguish from haters as TLOU2 and the TLOU franchise as a whole continues to reach new heights. We've got so much to look forward to right now...

- Season finale of season 1 of the HBO show tomorrow
- TLOU Part 1 releasing on PC later this month
- TLOU MP coming up
- TLOU Part 2 getting a PS5 and PC version
- TLOU HBO getting a season 2 and 3 based on TLOU Part 2
- Then eventually, the release of TLOU Part 3
- More TLOU HBO based off of TLOU Part 3

It'll be hilarious to watch the haters try to spin each success to try and fit their crackpot narratives.

Great to see the armada ready and eager to engage I was just making sure, good show gents

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Wait! For real? There’s gonna be a Last of Us Part 2 Remake?

I mean, how much better can it look? Because it still looks as good as the new Part 1, and any new game now.

If they make Part 2 look any better, they’re gonna have to remake the remake of Part 1 again.

All we players need in Part 2 is the haptics and trigger effects that the Part 1 utilizes. That’s the huge missing element in the PS4 version of Part 2
Not a remake, but a PS5 version should be expected. They could up the resolution from 1440p to 4K and improve textures and lighting even more. More importantly, they could add haptic feedback and adaptive triggers.

I've been actually waiting for a PS5 upgrade for a while now.

Eiknarf

Banned
Not a remake, but a PS5 version should be expected. They could up the resolution from 1440p to 4K and improve textures and lighting even more. More importantly, they could add haptic feedback and adaptive triggers.

That’s perfect!!

Im actually surprised that it’s not ready yet. I mean, we got a PS5 Ghost of Tsushima, and that came out way after TLOU Part 2

VulcanRaven

I hope Part 2 gets a remaster but they don't need to do much. They need to use the cutscene character models for the gameplay.

Last edited:

I spilled my coffee reading this.

vivftp

That’s perfect!!

Im actually surprised that it’s not ready yet. I mean, we got a PS5 Ghost of Tsushima, and that came out way after TLOU Part 2

Ignoring the fact that it's a huge game that would require a ton of effort and time and that ND are working on multiple projects, there's a time and place for everything. Even if it were ready right now, it would make sense to release it closer to season 2 of the HBO series as that season (and likely the third) are based on TLOU Part 2. TLOU Remastered, TLOU Part 1 and TLOU Part 2 are all seeing sales boosts just off the back of the first season. Best for them to draw it out to get that sales/marketing synergy between the PS5/PC version of Part 2, the second season of the show, and even the MP game.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That’s perfect!!

Yeah, I think they wanted to space it and keep the limelight to Part 1 right now. I'm sure Part 2 will receive the long-due attention when Season 02 rolls out.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

It's been a long time, but it reached 9th on the most downloaded charts in Japan.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
With the show clearly giving the games a boost I decided to check the sales legs for Part 2 for the last six months. Safe to say its got really good legs these days.

Will be interesting to see how it performs in the 2-3 months after the show ends as it's been a strong 6 months

Main comparison to RDR2 as that also doesn't have a PS5 SKU and we know that sells very very well.

PS4 PSN sales

Good to see this information. Hopefully you can keep adding to this as the months go on.

My money's on Fallout and Twisted Metal tv shows being big flops in the upcoming months.

With Tomb Raider tv series it doesn't have to be bad. A lot will depend on the casting (no afroamerican or flat chested Lara's pls) and budget.
TLOU was a success because it followed a fantastic game story and characters almost one to one.

Very few games have similarly interesting stories and definitely not Tomb Raider or Fallout.

Nice bailout after part 2 almost crippled the franchise
Because a few loudmouth cried about it on internet forums?

Because critically and financially it was extremely successful. It's one of the highest acclaimed videogames ever made, but people will spin anything until it fits their narrative.

Claiming TLOU Part 2 was a failure is like Resetera calling Hogwarts Legacy a failure.

Last edited:
Good to see this information. Hopefully you can keep adding to this as the months go on.

I'll for sure be posting more updates to see how it progresses in the coming months.

It's showing as the best selling PS4 game on the US PSN store at the moment. This list updates atleast once a day.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/category/85448d87-aa7b-4318-9997-7d25f4d275a4/1

Also has been Consistently in the top 2 on Amazon US since the show aired.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Video-Games/zgbs/videogames/6427831011/ref=zg_mw_tab

Last edited:

Here's the latest update after it topped PS4 sales on PSN for April.

Comparison versus RDR2 as that's another games that doesn't have a PS5 SKU and we know it sells very well.

Was selling well before the show clearly but a very good boost since it came out as well.

PS4 PSN sales:

March 2023: 9th US/CA and 10th EU (RDR2 7th and 6th)

April 2023: 1st US/CA and 1st EU (RDR2 4th and 5th)

Last edited:
Top Bottom