• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us TV Show Leads To Huge Boost In Game Sales

Draugoth

Gold Member
The arrival of The Last of Us TV show has given a major boost to sales for both entries in Naughty Dog’s game series:

the-last-of-us-part-2-ps4-amazon-charts.png

According to game sales charts data available at online retailer Amazon, sales of The Last of Us Remastered and The Last of Us Part II on PS4 and The Last of Us Part I on PS5 have seen a major boost since the premiere of the HBO TV show.

Interest in the franchise is at an all-time high, with the TV series receiving a tremendous amount of praise from critics and fans alike. This is leading to a lot of positive word of mouth, which is causing a resurgence of interest in the game series. In particular, The Last of Us Part II for the PS4 has seen a major surge in sales, taking it to the very top of the best sellers list for the platform.

The remastered version of the first game also sits close to the top of the PS4 charts. Meanwhile, while not quite significant, the recently released The Last of Us Part I for PS5 has also received a boost in sales since prior to the TV show’s premiere. This surge in sales for both games across PS4 and PS5 is expected to continue, as more episodes become available each week on HBO and HBO Max.

Have to start wondering if Sony will start up development on LOU4 and 5 from two different studios simultaneously while ND works on LOU3.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Have to start wondering if Sony will start up development on LOU4 and 5 from two different studios simultaneously while ND works on LOU3.
Neil has said he would never allow a Last of Us to be made without his direct involvement. That’s his magnum opus

He can be involved and write it without Naughty Dog developing it.

In purley my opinion Neil wants it to be a trilogy and that's what it'll be.

As a fan that's what I want as well.

A trilogy of Ellie's and Joel's Journey and how they influenced eachother lives.

After that give the world a rest and maybe come back 10 years down the line with an unrelated game in the same world but with no repeat characters or any relation to the current series.

Represent.

He can be involved and write it without Naughty Dog developing it.
Not a single studio out there that can come close to matching what ND does with TLOU. Every entry is genre-defining, and pushes graphical limits. I don’t see them ever out sourcing this IP. It’d be like giving your child up for adoption to a poorer family when you’re wealthy.

Gambit2483

Wasn't this pretty much the plan for Sony/ND? It's practically the reason why they made TLOU Part 1 to begin with.

I checked Amazon btw and they are actually now selling that game for $80 😂

I’m glad it is the remaster and not the remake. Good choice people.

All the SKUs are pretty much at the top end of any sales charts we can find right now.

Like every Amazon country I check Last of US right near the top or at it.

Same for the PSN store.

Like obviously with the show they'd have hoped to see increased games sales but this seems to be more than anyone expected.

Last edited:
Not a single studio out there that can come close to matching what ND does with TLOU. Every entry is genre-defining, and pushes graphical limits. I don’t see them ever out sourcing this IP. It’d be like giving your child up for adoption to a poorer family when you’re wealthy.
Naughty dog has a history of moving on

Theyve stopped making every franchise they've ever made

Studios and companies change.

Represent.

How about a Bloodborne series + PC Port +PS5 remaster combo then?
That game has no story and would make for terrible television. That game needs to stay a game.

At most it could be an anime where the art is the entire spectacle

MiguelItUp

Yeah, it was bound to from the start. They knew what they were doing with remaking TLOU 1 as well. The timing all work together nicely, especially if the show was projected to do well, which, the team worked closely with so at its worst it was at least projected to be decent. But good enough to sell even more copies.

At this rate I'd imagine the remake for 2 will drop around the same time-ish season 2 is about to start/has started.

In purley my opinion Neil wants it to be a trilogy and that's what it'll be.

As a fan that's what I want as well.

A trilogy of Ellie's and Joel's Journey and how they influenced eachother lives.

After that give the world a rest and maybe come back 10 years down the line with an unrelated game in the same world but with no repeat characters or any relation to the current series.

That's not how many is made. And we're probably talking about a franchise that is probably worth over billions of dollars now if they keep it going.

deeptech

Makes sense, and also playing the game through so that you don't get spoiled by the show is good too. I just hope this will make them release part 2 on pc as well, i love part 2

reksveks

I mean they been doing well on the charts for all of 2022.

Last of Us Part 2 made the top downloads of 2022 on PSN.

Even beating out the PS4 SKUs of Elden Ring and God of War Ragnarok in the EU.
Sorry, meant the UK boxed charts and specifically for the first one.

I’m glad it is the remaster and not the remake. Good choice people.
1. This is the best sellers for PS4. The remake didn't come out on PS4
2. The remake for PS5 is sold out on amazon. People are buying it digital.
3. On PS5's best sellers sorted by "best sellers" the game has been climbing and is now #12, above games like Gran Turismo 7 and close to the new Hogwarts game coming out soon.
4. Why would you prefer people to buy the worst version?

1. This is the best sellers for PS4. The remake didn't come out on PS4
2. The remake for PS5 is sold out on amazon. People are buying it digital.
3. On PS5's best sellers sorted by "best sellers" the game has been climbing and is now #12, above games like Gran Turismo 7 and close to the new Hogwarts game coming out soon.
4. Why would you prefer people to buy the worst version?
Not to mention half the games ahead of it are f2p

Top Bottom