• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Television Series | Official Teaser Trailer | HBO Max

R6Rider

Gold Member
You see video games to movies do a terrible job the story behind last of us is something many will enjoy, last of us 3 the game will be better than 1 and 2.
Dr Evil Whatever GIF

https://freegametips.com/the-last-o...peechless-with-a-deleted-scene-from-the-game/

According to Mazin, Druckmann himself has told him about several sequences that they eliminated and discarded during the development of both games and there was one in particular that left him "speechless" and that he felt that he should be yes or yes in the series. "We had to do it. No one was going to stop me from doing it. They would have to shoot me to stop me from shooting it," Mazin joked. "And there are several more like that."

https://freegametips.com/the-last-o...peechless-with-a-deleted-scene-from-the-game/

According to Mazin, Druckmann himself has told him about several sequences that they eliminated and discarded during the development of both games and there was one in particular that left him "speechless" and that he felt that he should be yes or yes in the series. "We had to do it. No one was going to stop me from doing it. They would have to shoot me to stop me from shooting it," Mazin joked. "And there are several more like that."
This is actually one thing that i'm expecting to get from the TV show: stuff that didn't make into the game.

For TLOU2 they also cut the way Abby came into play. There was an initial plan for this:

Initially Abby and her group would infiltrate Jackson to try and gain their trust...that's how they would get to Joel. Not the rushed way we got in the end. They cut that due to the fact that the game was already way too big anyway. This could honestly work for the 2nd season.

kyussman

If you can't get over the look of Ellie, you are exposing yourself as a total goober. When you say she's miscast, you're telling me that you have no imagination. The effectiveness of the storytelling has nothing to do with whether Joel has Hispanic features / is ethnically ambiguous or if Ellie is a little downsy looking instead of an Ellen Page replica. For some stories how a character looks is party of that character's story. This is not one of them and you are embarrassing yourself.

I do agree with whomever said some shots look cheap while others look very expensive.
Goober mode engaged for me then I guess,lol.

Inuteu

This is actually one thing that i'm expecting to get from the TV show: stuff that didn't make into the game.

For TLOU2 they also cut the way Abby came into play. There was an initial plan for this:

Initially Abby and her group would infiltrate Jackson to try and gain their trust...that's how they would get to Joel. Not the rushed way we got in the end. They cut that due to the fact that the game was already way too big anyway. This could honestly work for the 2nd season.
I kinda like the way Abby bumped into Joel by accident. Very Tarantinesque

The fact that he saves her life makes it even better

xrnzaaas

I'm having a laugh each time when a leftist journo tries to convice the readers that everyone loves the trailer for how faithful it is compared to the games. In real world literally everyone complains about Ellie's looks and the terrible casting choice.

I'm having a laugh each time when a leftist journo tries to convice the readers that everyone loves the trailer for how faithful it is compared to the games. In real world literally everyone complains about Ellie's looks and the terrible casting choice.
The real world isn't "gaf bubble". In the real world metrics are amazing, the trailer got millions of views and I barely see any criticism on social media over Ellie.

Yeah.
Surprised no one talk about the new character. People should pay less attention of the graphic shit. It's not a video game lol.
https://www.denofgeek.com/games/the...-melanie-lynskey-character-details-explained/

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Oh gosh.. In Walking Dead i've personally never heard things like "Rate our kiss from last night", "bigot sandwich", "You are my people" (said to a stranger for no reason whatsoever while betraying the people you have been your all life with), etc... etc... etc...

DefenselessRecklessCob-size_restricted.gif

Etc.. it just never really felt written by teenagers for teenagers.
Lol... imagine really thinking that TLoU2 has good writing... some say genious ... no wonder why movies/tv series has gone to shit .... the bar nowdays is so fucking low is borderline retarded

Last edited:

GymWolf

Do people that says "looking similar is not important" even realize that the whole point of a live action serial based on a videogame is too see real persons that look like the videogame counterparts?

It is the reason why people troll netflix and disney everytime their casting doesn't look at all like the source material.

Like, do we even need to explain such a simple ass concept?

Acting ability is important aswell, but you fool yourself if you think that there is no other talented teenager actor that is more similar to ellie than what they chose.

It is not a matter of fapping or not, just being faithful to the source material.

Last edited:
Walking Dead is one of my favourite shows. I’ve seen every single episode, started watching it back in 2010…

The writing is nowhere near TLOU 2 levels. In fact, it kind of sucks.

TLOU 2 is levels above walking dead, not even close
The earlier seasons have phenomenal writing so I'll disagree with you there, but the later seasons are hot garbage. I've also watched each season multiple times because I'm a glutton for punishment.

x9XDCEF.gif

GymWolf

The earlier seasons have phenomenal writing so I'll disagree with you there, but the later seasons are hot garbage. I've also watched each season multiple times because I'm a glutton for punishment.

x9XDCEF.gif
And with "earlier seasons" you mean season 1 right?

Because 2 was already a shitshow with episodes when nothing happened and plotholes and just a couple of good moments like when they open the barn etc.

The show was still enjoyable until the end of season 3 part 1 when they separe in various groups after the whole major thing.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Do people that says "looking similar is not important" even realize that the whole point of a live action serial based on a videogame is too see real persons that look like the videogame counterparts?

It is the reason why people troll netflix and disney everytime their casting doesn't look at all like the source material.

Acting ability is important aswell, but you fool yourself if you think that there is no other talented teenager actor that is more similar to ellie than what they chose.

It is not a matter of fapping or not, just being faithful to the source material.
I was pretty pissed about Pedro being cast as Joel, but upon watching this trailer, he looks fine. She still sticks out like a sore thumb.

No offense to the actress. She was wonderful in GoT, but she was cast perfectly there as a plain northerner with a resting bitch face. Ellie was literally modeled after Ellen Page who even after her sex change looks prettier than Bella Ramsey.

This is typical of ND who for some bizarre reason have gone out of their way to make women look ugly in their recent games. Bizarre considering men in their games still look like models. ive posted comparisons before. And before people say this is an HBO show, Neil is literally the co-showrunner on this. He was heavily involved in the casting.

This is also the second Sony game that has seen poor casting. Tom Holland is not Drake. Mark Whalberg isnt Sully. That indian chick wasnt Chloe. These guys dont care about their own IPs.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I was pretty pissed about Pedro being cast as Joel, but upon watching this trailer, he looks fine. She still sticks out like a sore thumb.

No offense to the actress. She was wonderful in GoT, but she was cast perfectly there as a plain northerner with a resting bitch face. Ellie was literally modeled after Ellen Page who even after her sex change looks prettier than Bella Ramsey.

This is typical of ND who for some bizarre reason have gone out of their way to make women look ugly in their recent games. Bizarre considering men in their games still look like models. ive posted comparisons before. And before people say this is an HBO show, Neil is literally the co-showrunner on this. He was heavily involved in the casting.

This is also the second Sony game that has seen poor casting. Tom Holland is not Drake. Mark Whalberg isnt Sully. That indian chick wasnt Chloe. These guys dont care about their own IPs.
Yet Uncharted was a massive hit with a sequel in the works. (I still have yet to see it.)

On a side note, I wonder what Neil's wife looks like.

Last edited:

You mean the box office hit Uncharted that was also a hit on streaming platforms?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

This is not true at all.

This series is trying to expand the franchise over to the casual audience, which means the majority of the people who watch this TV series are those who did not play the game at all.
Knowing this fact, you have to advertise to the casual audience and not the fans of the series because they only make up a small portion of the audience.

With the budget being $10m - $15m per episode, they're going to need as many eyes on the product as possible, and one of the ways to do this is to cast actors people are familiar with.
Imagine if they cast actors who looked like Joel and Ellie, but they are barely recognizable to a casual audience.

A TV ad appears.

"Oh, that show is based on a video game."
"I've seen that actor somewhere, but I can't remember"
"I've seen that actor in this movie before."

Versus well known actors.

"Oh, that's show is based on a video game."
"That's the guy from The Mandalorian"
"I've seen her in Game of Thrones"
"The guy with a gun. He appeared in Parks and Recreation."

Do you see the difference?

People are more likely to watch the show if they're familiar with the actors.

The shows you're talking about typically fail because they don't stick to the source material when it comes to the writing. When you're making an indie film (or any film for that matter) for about $1 million - $2 million dollars, they always suggest that you cast recognizable faces. This is not an easy decision to make because casting a known actor for your film can take at least 30% of your budget.

The point is, people are more than likely to watch your product if they recognize the actors.

GymWolf

This is not true at all.

This series is trying to expand the franchise over to the casual audience, which means the majority of the people who watch this TV series are those who did not play the game at all.
Knowing this fact, you have to advertise to the casual audience and not the fans of the series because they only make up a small portion of the audience.

With the budget being $10m - $15m per episode, they're going to need as many eyes on the product as possible, and one of the ways to do this is to cast actors people are familiar with.
Imagine if they cast actors who looked like Joel and Ellie, but they are barely recognizable to a casual audience.

A TV ad appears.

"Oh, that show is based on a video game."
"I've seen that actor somewhere, but I can't remember"
"I've seen that actor in this movie before."

Versus well known actors.

"Oh, that's show is based on a video game."
"That's the guy from The Mandalorian"
"I've seen her in Game of Thrones"
"The guy with a gun. He appeared in Parks and Recreation."

Do you see the difference?

People are more likely to watch the show if they're familiar with the actors.

The shows you're talking about typically fail because they don't stick to the source material when it comes to the writing. When you're making an indie film (or any film for that matter) for about $1 million - $2 million dollars, they always suggest that you cast recognizable faces. This is not an easy decision to make because casting a known actor for your film can take at least 30% of your budget.

The point is, people are more than likely to watch your product if they recognize the actors.
I don't care why sony is doing the series, i was talking in general as a fan (not me personally, fanboys of tlou brand), and millions of them are gonna watch the series, they are not small numbers dude, the series sold a lot, but i guess this only matter in console wars sales topics when you measure dicks with the xboys, in here, tlou is a small game with 1000 fans around the world, and half of them are not gonna watch the show for reasons :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Fan of the series want actors that look the fucking part, this is why when we have topic about "what actor would make a good character X or Y" people tend to chose actors that look similar.

And even for new fans that are gonna watch the serial first and buy the game later, don't you think is gonna be strange going from fucking quasimodo to videogame ellie? i'm pretty sure that there are semi-famous actors that looks more the part than her.

I guess that once again, we have different line of thoughts here, i think like a final client\videogame fanboy, you think like a sony shareholder, i guess we are both correct in a way, this is a shitty casting for all the old fan that made your brand famous, but a great casting for people who loves game of thrones.

And many many shows had incredible success with unknown actors, the serial just need to be good, like squid game, maybe they don't have enormous faith on their work without hiring 2 actors from got? who knows...

Let's just hope that her acting is gonna be incredible and worthy of such a change, i saw her in got and she was good, but it's also true that she had like a mono thematic character, not really a complex one, she was always with a bitch face and stoic (and a bit cringe by the end but not her fault)

i'm fucking with you with the sony shareholder thing, but you get my point :lollipop_blowing_kiss:

Last edited:

GymWolf

Pedro looks pretty fine and he was good in wildly different roles so we know his range of emotions and acting chops.

I'm curious to see if my boy ron is gonna make the fat grumpy paranoic dude anything more than a fat grumpy paranoic dude with his acting, pretty sure i'm gonna laugh every time is gonna open his mouth because i'm gonna see him instead

parks-and-rec-ron-swanson.gif

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I don't care why sony is doing the series, i was talking in general as a fan (not me personally, fanboys of tlou brand), and millions of them are gonna watch the series, they are not small numbers dude, the series sold a lot, but i guess this only matter in console wars sales topics when you measure dicks with the xboys, in here, tlou is a small game with 1000 fans around the world, and half of them are not gonna watch the show for reasons :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Fan of the series want actors that look the fucking part, this is why when we have topic about "what actor would make a good character X or Y" people tend to chose actors that look similar.

And even for new fans that are gonna watch the serial first and buy the game later, don't you think is gonna be strange going from fucking quasimodo to videogame ellie? i'm pretty sure that there are semi-famous actors that looks more the part than her.

I guess that once again, we have different line of thoughts here, i think like a final client\videogame fanboy, you think like a sony shareholder, i guess we are both correct in a way, this is a shitty casting for all the old fan that made your brand famous, but a great casting for people who loves game of thrones.

And many many shows had incredible success with unknown actors, the serial just need to be good, like squid game, maybe they don't have enormous faith on their work without hiring 2 actors from got? who knows...

Let's just hope that her acting is gonna be incredible and worthy of such a change, i saw her in got and she was good, but it's also true that she had like a mono thematic character, not really a complex one, she was always with a bitch face and stoic (and a bit cringe by the end but not her fault)

It's really a business first. There's likely a bigger upside when it comes to casting Bella Ramsey than another actress who just looks like Ellie.

If this casting disappoints 1 million fans and brings 3 million new ones, then the casting decision was worth it. Hell, even the fans who are disappointed with the casting will watch it anyways. So the good outweighs the bad and that's how people have to look at it if they want this series to be a success.

GymWolf

It's really a business first. There's likely a bigger upside when it comes to casting Bella Ramsey than another actress who just looks like Ellie.

If this casting disappoints 1 million fans and brings 3 million new ones, then the casting decision was worth it. Hell, even the fans who are disappointed with the casting will watch it anyways. So the good outweighs the bad and that's how people have to look at it if they want this series to be a success.
Still don't fully agree but like i said, from a cold corporate side you are probably correct (too much cyberpunk lately), but you can do pretty well with relatively unknown actors aswell, the brand is big enough that even without her, it would be probably a good success anyway, you still have pedro, the chick from fringe, ron from parks and the director of chernobyl.

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

Yet Uncharted was a massive hit with a sequel in the works. (I still have yet to see it.)

On a side note, I wonder what Neil's wife looks like.
The Uncharted movie was not enjoyable. Cringe, poor story and pacing. Just bad. Waste of time.

Druckmann is a handsome, ambitious and successful guy so his wife is probably beautiful.

GooseMan69

Nah, trailer got a great reaction from almost everything I’ve seen (YouTube, Twitter, Reddit). Only complaints I’ve seen is from weirdos critiquing the appearance of a character who is 14 years old.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
And with "earlier seasons" you mean season 1 right?

Because 2 was already a shitshow with episodes when nothing happened and plotholes and just a couple of good moments like when they open the barn etc.

The show was still enjoyable until the end of season 3 part 1 when they separe in various groups after the whole major thing.
In which season/episode did Rick literally tore apart his son's wanna be molester/rapist jugular with his own teeth ? Goddamn if that wasn't some good, gory TV...
The first couple of episodes with Negan were also pretty good (you know which one I'm talking about).
Have to agree though, after that...it's been mostly dog-shit - I'm on part 2 of season 11 (last one ?) and goddamn if this hasn't turned into a farce...writing, acting, plot holes, Deus ex machina moments and Daryl's terrible hair dye are just...nope, absolutely terrible stuff and it just proves that -like most shows- when you stretch something too thin it just becomes a joke in the end.
Nowadays it's mostly a soap opera with a zombie theme sprinkled on it, shame.

GymWolf

In which season/episode did Rick literally tore apart his son's wanna be molester/rapist jugular with his own teeth ? Goddamn if that wasn't some good, gory TV...
The first couple of episodes with Negan were also pretty good (you know which one I'm talking about).
Have to agree though, after that...it's been mostly dog-shit - I'm on part 2 of season 11 (last one ?) and goddamn if this hasn't turned into a farce...writing, acting, plot holes, Deus ex machina moments and Daryl's terrible hair dye are just...nope, absolutely terrible stuff and it just proves that -like most shows- when you stretch something too thin it just becomes a joke in the end.
Nowadays it's mostly a soap opera with a zombie theme sprinkled on it, shame.
My god you need a reward for going so far without organizing a double suicide for you and your balls.

Pelta88

TWD went from "Really Good" to "OK" from season 1 to the season when Rick left.

As for how Ellie looks... I have zero interest in calling someone ugly. My only concern is how she acts. It'd be hilarious to re-visit this thread if Bella/ the TV show gets a Bafta and a Golden Globe. Which means everything was pitch perfect.

plushyp

If you can't get over the look of Ellie, you are exposing yourself as a total goober. When you say she's miscast, you're telling me that you have no imagination. The effectiveness of the storytelling has nothing to do with whether Joel has Hispanic features / is ethnically ambiguous or if Ellie is a little downsy looking instead of an Ellen Page replica. For some stories how a character looks is party of that character's story. This is not one of them and you are embarrassing yourself.

I do agree with whomever said some shots look cheap while others look very expensive.
I still can't get over you nerds being angry that the child actor isn't pretty enough to play a character whose looks are completely 100% irrelevant to the story. Reconsider your life choices.
You're the one who sounds really angry here. Calm down, it's just a show.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God

But the game was way too big for not much. Enrich the Abby arc would be way better for obvious reasons. But no, we get bigger forest to search more for gasoline. Fuck you, Druckman

Greggy

It's got the look down.

But I can't get over that... that middle aged cat lady looking Ellie. Maybe her acting chops will change that opinion. Big, maybe.
That's an abject thing to say about a child. No wonder young girls grow up with all sort of insecurities. They all have to look like something you would bone or they're worth nothing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's an abject thing to say about a child. No wonder young girls grow up with all sort of insecurities. They all have to look like something you would bone or they're worth nothing.
That's a leap in logic. No need to project your perversion onto others, you freak.

Top Bottom