• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us Part Two is the best selling Playstation Exclusive of 2020

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
The final sales reports for 2020 are in, and The Last of Us: Part II is now officially the best-selling PlayStation 4 exclusive of the year across the US. It took third place in the overall sales chart for PlayStation 5 and PS4 software, beaten only by Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.
https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202..._best-selling_ps4_exclusive_of_2020_in_the_us

The Last of Us Part II​

PlayStation’s big-budget exclusive, The Last of Us Part II, was also a sales hit.

“The Last of Us: Part II finished 2020 as the year’s best-selling PlayStation exclusive, while also ranking as the sixth best-selling title overall,” said Piscatella. “The Last of Us: Part II now ranks as the third best-selling Sony-published game in U.S. history in dollar sales, trailing only Marvel’s Spider-Man, and 2018’s God of War.”
https://venturebeat.com/2021/01/15/npd-reveals-the-best-selling-games-of-2020-in-the-u-s/

kretos

Banned
giphy.webp

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
sadly I could see it coming mid or end of this console generation. Very curious where they go with it as Ellie's story is not fully over yet.
I am fine with mid gen.

I would like to see them focus on Ellie's redemption arc. There is a lot they can do with her immunity still and pursue a save the world scenario while keeping the story grounded and character driven.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
I am fine with mid gen.

I would like to see them focus on Ellie's redemption arc. There is a lot they can do with her immunity still and pursue a save the world scenario while keeping the story grounded and character driven.
thats where I think they will go, after here loss and finding out she kept saying she wants her life to mean something. Somehow I think her and Abby will link up and there will be another doctor they come upon who can do the same as Abby's father. and in the end her choice to give her life up to be the cure the world needs. Dark twist, it all amounted to nothing and they never could make a cure and its all a waste Ellie's death included. It would fit the depressing tone of the series.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
So.....where are all the "Go Woke, Go Broke" people at?
Depending which audience you aim for.

Ion Fury became woke, mass refunded came, removed the wokeness earned even more sale.

The audience Sony aims for seem to overall like the wokeness, so the wording sadly isn't always true.

There is a big audience for wokeness in gaming. Let's just hope it doesn't send a message to all devs.

Sadly Microsoft did the same shit in gears 5 by having a hilarious amount of lgbtfkfdt+- flags.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Ion Fury became woke, mass refunded came, removed the wokeness earned even more sale.

The audience Sony aims for seem to overall like the wokeness, so the wording sadly isn't always true.

There is a big audience for wokeness in gaming. Let's just hope it doesn't send a message to all devs.

Sadly Microsoft did the same shit in gears 5 by having a hilarious amount of lgbtfkfdt+- flags.

So it's possible that as time moves on.....more and more gamers will be okay with "wokeness" in their games?

Personally I don’t think it’s as good as the first game, visually it’s obviously a clear step up however it’s the pacing and relationships between the characters that really disappointed me. The first game nailed the pacing, in the sequel it really dragged at times and boredom would creep in.

In the original, the growing relationship between Joel & Ellie was well done, the sequel lacked that aspect for the most part , the character interaction in part two didn’t feel as engaging.

I don’t think part 2 is terrible by any means and I know it has its fans which I have no problem with, for me the original is the superior out of the two.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
I don't think it will ultimately outsell the original considering how divisive it is, but it sounds like people can stop insisting it somehow didn't sell well. We already know how well Spider-Man and God of War sold and, if this is anything to by, it's not all that far behind them. I mean the game sold over 4 million copies in its first weekend, got rave reviews, and is the sequel to one of the most celebrated games of recent times. Maybe of all time. It took Ghost of Tsushima about 4 or 5 months to sell 5 million. There's no way this game didn't blow by that a long time ago. The only question now is has it reached the 10 million+ club yet?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

The truth is that most people don't care. They're too busy just playing the game instead of focusing on lesbian or trans characters.

Madflavor

So it's possible that as time moves on.....more and more gamers will be okay with "wokeness" in their games?

In the same vein as more and more gamers were okay with anti consumer practices over the past decade, dating all the way back to horse armor. People can bitch about wokeness, undercooked games, microtransactions, etc all they want, but nothing changes so long as these companies keep making money.

The_Mike

Maybe. But what I meant is that Sony is the only one who got away doing it, while every other company who actually have tried to go the woke route got slammed for it.

Granted, the sjw journalists loved it, but the public release was very controversial. You got the TLOU fans who hated it, some few TLOU fans who loved it, together with sjw players who loved it.

The same goes for the fanboys who just outright loves everyone Sony does.

And then there was a big mix of people who doesn't really care about the politics or wasn't affected by it, where they could go both ways.

If TLoU2 was released by another publisher and developer, the outcome would have been much more crucial for the company as shown before in history.
Ion Fury is a great example.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I don't think it will ultimately outsell the original considering how divisive it is, but it sounds like people can stop insisting it somehow didn't sell well. We already know how well Spider-Man and God of War sold and, if this is anything to by, it's not all that far behind them. I mean the game sold over 4 million copies in its first weekend, got rave reviews, and is the sequel to one of the most celebrated games of recent times. Maybe of all time. It took Ghost of Tsushima about 4 or 5 months to sell 5 million. There's no way this game didn't blow by that a long time ago. The only question now is has it reached the 10 million+ club yet?

If the Play count of 7.2 million told us anything, the sales were around that much back in November. Discounts has made the game showed up back on charts ever since and I'm sure it will reach 10 million copies sold within the next few months.

The_Mike

The truth is that most people don't care. They're too busy just playing the game instead of focusing on lesbian or trans characters.
The user score on metacritic shows otherwise. Well, it wasn't solely because of that, but it didn't help with the sjw propaganda together with a low quality story.

TLoU2 is still only relevant solely because of the controversies. If it didn't have that, then it would have been in the past together with other exclusives that's plus 3 months old.

But you are right. Some people didn't care. Which I also wrote in my post.

SkylineRKR

Not as good as Days Gone, GoW and Tsushima, but still a solid romp. Had my fun with it, good encounter design. Fuck the pandering, but yeah, its something we're going to see much more.

InDaGulag

The user score on metacritic shows otherwise. Well, it wasn't solely because of that, but it didn't help with the sjw propaganda together with a low quality story.

Metacritic user scores are nothing but a huuuuge pile of worthless shit. Anyone can create multiple accounts and rate any game without having played it.

The only user reviews I trust in gaming are Steam's as they actually give tie it to ownership, playtime, date, etc. Makes it obvious when political activists try to game reviews.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

TLoU2 is still only relevant solely because of the controversies. If it didn't have that, then it would have been in the past together with other exclusives that's plus 3 months old.

But you are right. Some people didn't care. Which I also wrote in my post.

The only thing MC proves is that there are a small portion of disgruntled gamers and trolls. It really holds no weight, but people love to use it. Your personal opinions about the game are your own and not everyone agrees with it so it's irrelevant.

EDMIX

Not shocked even remotely.

My favorite argument was this whole "iT dOn'T gOt dA lEgZ dOe", yet got really quiet when this happened.

We are to believe that Sony is mad at the following.

1. Best selling Playstation Exclusive of 2020.
2. Fastest selling Playstation game in history.
3. Most awarded game in history both by publicans and fans.

Like the first, you'll probably continue to see this selling as PS5 gets more sales, you'll see more units sold when the remaster comes out, you'll see more units sold when the inevitable The Last Of Us 1 remake is made by Bluepoint in the Last Of Us 2 engine, you'll see sales continue when the HBO show comes out, when The Last Of Us 3 is announced, releases etc

So....the game won't just magically stop selling cause some are triggered. Would be like saying Call Of Duty won't sell cause someone sad and mad about something (as if they represent 25 million people).

some are going to need this.

pepe.jpg

Last edited:

The_Mike

Metacritic user scores are nothing but a huuuuge pile of worthless shit. Anyone can create multiple accounts and rate any game without having played it.

The only user reviews I trust in gaming are Steam's as they actually give tie it to ownership, playtime, date, etc. Makes it obvious when political activists try to game reviews.
That's true and I agree with you.

But if that was the case, then it's still interesting to see the user score of tlou1 is so high while TLoU2 has such a low score.

Which shows there is something about the game. Something controversial.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Epic Games left Gears of War because each sequel cost significantly more to make, and the sales of each game remained relatively consistent.

Sony knew these facts years ago too.

It's obviously a success, the question is how much, because that game looks expensive as ****.

farmerboy

And still with this "woke" nonsense.

The only thing that got a massive eyeroll from me was the "bigot sandwich" line. Totally hamfisted, unnecessary and out of line with Ellie's character. She should have just told him to fuck off and stick his sandwich.

Apart from that, the game was full of interesting characters, playing out their lives in an interesting world, designed with some of the best art direction and technical accomplishment I've ever seen.

Story, editing and pacing could have been better, obviously, but it's also interesting to see Druckmans journey as a game director/storyteller.

Can't wait for NDs next game.

Ellery

Hurry up Naughty Dog for the PS5 version/patch of this game. I want to play the GOTYGOAT for the fifth time and my 4K HDR TV + PS5 are waiting.

I hope Neil Druckmann stays with Naughty Dog and in the industry for the next 20-30 years

Top Bottom