• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us Part Two is the best selling Playstation Exclusive of 2020

Vaelka

I dunno why people even use the arguments about whether a game is selling little or a lot for whether the game is good or not.
Look at what a fuck ton of copies garbage sports games that are literally just copied assets from the previous and mobile games sell.

How many copies a game will sell when it comes to these games has a lot to do with the marketing budget, it's pretty rare that games just sell on being good alone.
There's also a lot of artifical hype created by the companies and studios themselves, Disney is quite infamous for this too and used bots on a mass scale to build up a facade of hype.
Anthem and ME:A were two of Bioware's best selling games ever, but I really doubt many people would say they were two of their best games.
TLOU2 could've been complete garbage and it would still have sold millions of copies and been a best seller, you'd have to be completely delusional to think that it'd flop.

Whether a game sells a lot or little I don't really think has much to do with whether the game is good or not, there's exceptions to this especially with Indie games but even with Indie games it's also a bit mixed.
To me sales are kinda irrelevant as to the quality of the game.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Playing this game right now and after around 20 hours I think it‘s clearly worse than the first one.

Gameplay and graphics are top notch, no question, but the writing is really subpar. And I‘m not just saying that because I do not like Abby (which I don‘t, she‘s so uninteresting) but because nothing happens in the game. Nothing that gets the story going and also there is hardly any character development to be seen. Even the gameplay, while great, is suffering a bit because of the lack of diversity. The first one had quite soem unique gameplay sections to spice things up. Part 2 just doesn‘t. It‘s mostly just fighting the infected or humans in the same way. The only thing that makes it a bit different every time is the changing level layout. But to me personally even this isn‘t able to salvage it by now because the game is just too long. If you make a game this long, put in some more unique stuff to spice things up.

There are a few other things that bother me (like the insane amount of time jumps) but that is just minor stuff.

It‘s a solid game but imo not as good as reviews would make you believe. Currently it’s 7/10 to 8/10 for me and I assume it will remain in that ballpark until the end.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Maybe. But what I meant is that Sony is the only one who got away doing it, while every other company who actually have tried to go the woke route got slammed for it.

Granted, the sjw journalists loved it, but the public release was very controversial. You got the TLOU fans who hated it, some few TLOU fans who loved it, together with sjw players who loved it.

The same goes for the fanboys who just outright loves everyone Sony does.

And then there was a big mix of people who doesn't really care about the politics or wasn't affected by it, where they could go both ways.

If TLoU2 was released by another publisher and developer, the outcome would have been much more crucial for the company as shown before in history.
Ion Fury is a great example.

I think most of those "other" companies just don't make games as good as Sony does. And that's the biggest difference. Going "woke" as yall call it is fine, if the game is good.

I think most of those "other" companies just don't make games as good as Sony does. And that's the biggest difference. Going "woke" as yall call it is fine, if the game is good.
I'm the most anti woke liberals person, in real life you would probably call me a bigot, misogynist, racist, etc. That being said, I just couldn't find anything "woke" about this game. Seriously? What the fuck are you talking about? We knew Ellie was gay since the first game? So just because she has a girlfriend are they "woke"? The only part where there was clearly an agenda was Lev's part.

Other than that k just couldn't see anything else.

mckmas8808

I'm the most anti woke liberals person, in real life you would probably call me a bigot, misogynist, racist, etc. That being said, I just couldn't find anything "woke" about this game. Seriously? What the fuck are you talking about? We knew Ellie was gay since the first game? So just because she has a girlfriend are they "woke"? The only part where there was clearly an agenda was Lev's part.

Other than that k just couldn't see anything else.

I think you have me confused. I've never understood why people TLOU2 is a "woke" game. Personally I don't think there is a such thing as a "woke" game or media in general. It's why I always put the word woke in quotes. I'm just going by what these other people say on GAF, when they said it's a "woke" game. And they said go woke, go broke.

Now I'd like to see some receipts on that statement, because it doesn't seem to be true at all.

I think you have me confused. I've never understood why people TLOU2 is a "woke" game. Personally I don't think there is a such thing as a "woke" game or media in general. It's why I always put the word woke in quotes. I'm just going by what these other people say on GAF, when they said it's a "woke" game. And they said go woke, go broke.

Now I'd like to see some receipts on that statement, because it doesn't seem to be true at all.
Just lev's part. That's obviously pushing an agenda because it doesn't have anything to do with the game, they just put in there to have a trans story.

jm89

I'm surprised they still haven't released up to date sold through data. This is one of their biggest release this gen, can't believe they are so quite about it thought they would shout from the rooftops.

Miles morales got a sale update 2 months after release, ghost of tsushima got it something like 4 months after release and nothing for tlou2.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Just lev's part. That's obviously pushing an agenda because it doesn't have anything to do with the game, they just put in there to have a trans story.

I haven't gotten to that part of the game yet, but I'd say is having a Trans story within the TLOU universe equal "having an agenda"?

I don't think it will ultimately outsell the original considering how divisive it is, but it sounds like people can stop insisting it somehow didn't sell well. We already know how well Spider-Man and God of War sold and, if this is anything to by, it's not all that far behind them. I mean the game sold over 4 million copies in its first weekend, got rave reviews, and is the sequel to one of the most celebrated games of recent times. Maybe of all time. It took Ghost of Tsushima about 4 or 5 months to sell 5 million. There's no way this game didn't blow by that a long time ago. The only question now is has it reached the 10 million+ club yet?
How many copies did it sell? I haven't looked extensively, but I haven't come up with an definite answer. If it hasn't sold over 10 mil in 2020 then that's no accomplishment. If they couldn't go toe to toe with animal crossings sales in 2020 then sony can fuck off with their self praise. Never played Last of us 2, I'm sure it's great.

Vasili2K38

Honestly the people are blowing out of proportion the part about Lev story.. I found it surprising and refreshing even in the world of TLOU. And of course the sales are well deserved, one of the best games I've played and I can't wait to play it another time with PS5 support.

Interesting. Valhalla provides a little context here. Valhalla did franchise-best numbers, over 3.5 million in its first week, was also something of a next-gen standard bearer, and available on PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One and Xbox Series. TLOU2 finished a place behind it. It had over 7 months of availability to build up its sales on contrast to Valhalla's one month and a half, and it stormed out the gates with 4 million in a little under a month. However, unlike Valhalla, its only available on PS4 and PS5. In context, it looks like its done more than just "well", but actually done very well for itself. I'm curious if there's anyway to determine how much the on-going controversy surrounding the game played into those sales. I remember it did huge numbers once it went on discount, so I suspect more than a few sales were to see what the fuss was all about. Anyway, anyone trying to play off TLOU2 as some kind of financial failing are just laughably wrong. If they do a PS5 re-release with a touched up single player campaign, this could break 10 million sales. A step down from the original, and from UC4, but still a massive success given its a single player offline game with drastically limited replayability owing to its hyper-linear cinematic format. A few bottles of bubbly being popped at Naughty Dog, no doubt well earned.

Its actually 4 million in three days for TLOU2

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Continuing from my other post from several weeks ago.
(I made a GoT vs TLOU 2 comparison for someone)
GSD November Top 20 Video Games (Digital + Physical)

01. CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS COLD WAR (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
02. ASSASSIN'S CREED VALHALLA (UBISOFT)
03. FIFA 21 (EA SPORTS)
04. MARVEL'S SPIDER-MAN: MILES MORALES (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
05. ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW HORIZONS (NINTENDO)*
06. GRAND THEFT AUTO V (ROCKSTAR GAMES)
07. MARIO KART 8 DELUXE (NINTENDO)*
08. HYRULE WARRIORS: AGE OF CALAMITY (NINTENDO)*
09. WATCH DOGS: LEGION (UBISOFT)
10. SUPER MARIO 3D ALL-STARS (NINTENDO)*
11. JUST DANCE 2021 (UBISOFT)
12. RING FIT ADVENTURE (NINTENDO)*
13. FOOTBALL MANAGER 2021 (SEGA)
14. RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 (ROCKSTAR GAMES)
15. MINECRAFT: SWITCH EDITION (MOJANG)
16. THE LAST OF US: PART 2 (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
17. ASSASSIN'S CREED ODYSSEY (UBISOFT)*
18. NBA 2K21 (TAKE-TWO)
19. TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX: SIEGE (UBISOFT)
20. GOD OF WAR (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

When both titles went on sale.

UK Week 48, 2020
16 (RE) THE LAST OF US PART II (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
23 (RE) GHOST OF TSUSHIMA (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

UK Week 49, 2020
30 (16) THE LAST OF US PART II (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
38 (23) GHOST OF TSUSHIMA (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

UK Week 51, 2020
24(RE) THE LAST OF US PART II (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
34 (RE) GHOST OF TSUSHIMA (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

UK Week 52, 2020
24 (30) THE LAST OF US PART II (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
29 (34) GHOST OF TSUSHIMA (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

UK Week 53, 2020
29 (24) THE LAST OF US PART II (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

UK Week 1, 2021
26 (29) THE LAST OF US PART II (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

Switzerland Week 48, 2020
9 (RE) THE LAST OF US PART II

Italy Week 48, 2020
(6) THE LAST OF US PART II (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

Italy Week 52, 2020
(7) THE LAST OF US PART II (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

Italy Week 1, 2021
(1) THE LAST OF US PART II (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

Germany - Top 20 November
17 - The Last of Us Part II

Germany - Top 20 December
20 - The Last of Us Part II

Germany - Top 20 2020
6 - The Last of Us Part II

GSD 2020 Top 20 Video Games (Digital + Physical) (European Top 20)

01. FIFA 21 (EA SPORTS)
02. GRAND THEFT AUTO V (ROCKSTAR GAMES)
03. ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW HORIZONS (NINTENDO)*
04. FIFA 20 (EA GAMES)
05. CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS COLD WAR (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
06. MARIO KART 8 DELUXE (NINTENDO)*
07. THE LAST OF US PART 2 (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
08. ASSASSIN'S CREED VALHALLA (UBISOFT)
09. CALL OF DUTY MODERN WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
10. RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
11. NBA 2K20 (TAKE-TWO)
12. SUPER MARIO 3D ALL-STARS (NINTENDO)
13. TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX SIEGE (UBISOFT)
14. CYBERPUNK 2077 (CD PROJECT RED)*
15. MINECRAFT: SWITCH EDITION (MOJANG)
16. GHOST OF TSUSHIMA (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
17. ASSASSIN'S CREED ODYSSEY (UBISOFT)
18. RING FIT ADVENTURE (NINTENDO)
19. JUST DANCE 2020 (UBISOFT)
20. SUPER MARIO PARTY (NINTENDO)*

Italy Week 6 2021
6 - The Last of Us Part II

Italy Week 7 2021
4 - The Last of Us Part II

Italy Week 8 2021
4 - The Last of Us Part II

Italy Week 8 2021
9 - The Last of Us Part II

UK Week 8 2021
03 (RE) THE LAST OF US PART II (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

UK Week 9 2021
11 (03) THE LAST OF US PART II (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

Spain February (only retail) data:

PlayStation 4

1. FIFA 21
  2. Grand Theft Auto V
  3. The Last of Us Parte II
  4. Call Of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
  5. Assassin’S Creed Valhalla
Germany Top 20 February 2021 chart

11 - Last of Us Part II

Still waiting for the Top 40 charts from the UK.

I wonder how the game is going to perform if they re-release it on the PS5.
Update:

Spain - Week-by-Week Sales

Sales week 5: from February 1 to 7
2. The Last of Us Parte II (PS4)

Sales week 6: from February 8 to 14

Sales week 7: from February 15 to 21

Sales week 8: from February 22 to 28
7. The Last of Us Part II (PS4)

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Whatever your thoughts on TLOU Part II, it's hard to argue that it's a forgettable game.
I've never seen a game generate so much discussion even after nearly a year since its release; whether in praise or criticism, often both.
I find that very interesting. Wish more games were as devise more often lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom