• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II was the best selling game on PS Store during Black Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyliethicc

What a shame. I loved part 1 - but then Neil Cuckmann had to turn it into a LGBT propaganda/guilt simulator instead of a *zombie apocalypse game. Really sad to see his Woke gamble pay off.
Finally here we go

5kbJ0Yt.gif

Aenima

What a shame. I loved part 1 - but then Neil Cuckmann had to turn it into a LGBT propaganda/guilt simulator instead of a *zombie apocalypse game. Really sad to see his Woke gamble pay off.
Lol, if the lesbian characters is what triggered you, then you disliking the game for the wrong reasons. Gameplay wise, the game is a much better zombie apocalypse than the 1st one. The problem to me, was the story, by getting rid of the best character in the series and making the player play with its killer while trying to force the player to simpatise with that character. It never worked for me. While playing with Abby, everytime i died it made me smile, thats how much i wanted to see that character die, and its a strange feeling cuz usually im suposed to care about the characters and try to protect them and not die.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I'm sure the game wants you to think the moral of the story is that
revenge is cyclical and it's better to let your transgressions go.

The actual moral of the story is
don't leave any witnesses or it will bite you in the ass later on.
Nah the point of the story is...

... that Ellie wasted her last few years she had with Joel being mad at him for lying to her. Once he died, she regretted that. She realized she lost the opportunity to enjoy the time she had with him. Hence why she is full of rage - at Abby sure - but at herself too.

We don't appreciate things til they're gone.

So maybe try to forgive that person you love a lil bit sooner. People die all the time, so don't waste time being mad at people, if you can. That was the point of the end - Ellie was going to forgive Joel and rebuild their relationship. Then he died.

So while Ellie was mad at him for lying, and did what felt good in the moment for those few years (ignoring him), she quickly realized once he was gone - that was fucking dumb. He loved her and she loved him.

Its a melancholy tale to remind us to enjoy what we have while it lasts.

Last edited:
#4 for me. Not sure if that's sales just for the BF sale. Or overall for the month. Or just overall LTD. Or downloads, which would change it dramatically, considering it's on PS Now.

Anybody know? Or did they really just rush out and publish a story using one country's bestsellers list with no context at all?

jm89

I would think Sony are probably waiting for it to reach 10 million before announcing sales. I'm surprised we still haven't got an update.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Wish I could dig out my posts of when Returnal came out where I was replying to people saying that Returnal would be at half-price after a month in the PS store. Let me repeat to everyone at the back: Sony is keeping prices at a premium this generation! a.k.a pulling a Nintendo.
Nintendo has evergreen titles like Mario Kart, Smash and Zelda.

The demand for a game like Returnal will be non-existent in 2 years time. When demand evaporates, deep sales occur.

This exact same routine happened with the PS4. No sales for the first 2 years.

I shouldn't be worried about that part, but if i learned anyething on GAF it's this: Those are no zombies!!!!!!! It's something new!!!!! It's super innovative!!!!!

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Well, it was like 20 dollars I believe.So its easy to see why it sold well.

But I have to say Im dissapointed to hear about it.The game is, while mecanically great, very very dissapointing and ultimatelly bad. I wished to see the Demon Souls remake or Rift Apart get that number 1 spot, because I feel like they deserve better.But alas.

Ellery

But I have to say Im dissapointed to hear about it.The game is, while mecanically great, very very dissapointing and In nautilus personal opinion ultimatelly bad. I wished to see the Demon Souls remake or Rift Apart get that number 1 spot, because I feel like they deserve better.But alas.

One has to accept the reality and not pretend to live in a fantasy world.

Why do you care so much about what others like? If you like Demon's Souls and Rift Apart then good for you. I like them too, but does it really matter if they are on the top sold spot on PSN?

But I have to say Im dissapointed to hear about it.The game is, while mecanically great, very very dissapointing and ultimatelly bad. I wished to see the Demon Souls remake or Rift Apart get that number 1 spot, because I feel like they deserve better.But alas.
I have seen TLOU2 for 10-15 bucks months ago (disc version).

Kupfer

In germany, the game is for sale for people >18 years old and younger people are not allowed to buy the game. I don't know how it is handled in other countries, but when I read through the comments here, other countries should take a leaf out of their book. So much immaturity coupled with ignorance , lack of understanding and the ability to abstract that these are fictional characters in a fictional world of a game should be a clear indicator that too many children have played this game who live in their parental bubble and have not yet managed to see beyond the edge of their plates - and this does not only refer to TLOU2.
I liked the game, while I also see some flaws pacingwise, but it was good enough for me to play through the campaign two times. I hope we will see Factions 2 soon.

Last edited:

Ellery

Whether you like the story or not, it has the best quality in terms of production value.

Until todate it is impossible for me to find another game which has the same production value as TLOU2.

Very much agree. I even think the gameplay in TLOU2 is top notch. I genuinely think it is perfect for the setting the game plays in. I have no idea what people mean when they say "TLOU gameplay bad". Do they want the game to play like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta? The gameplay feels right, the gun control is awesome and I usually play games that involve aiming and shooting on PC with Mouse and Keyboard, but TLOU2 felt so great and grounded to play on Playstation that I am glad I played it with a controller.
The animations, which are a huge part of why the gameplay feels so great, are a big part of why the game works so well and that further appreciates the graphical prowess of this game. Which is still kinda crazy when you think about the 8 year old Playstation 4 that managed to make this game run so smoothly and now we have consoles that are at least 6x the performance (or even more) and games don't really look better.
We don't even need to start with the voice acting. Especially Troy Baker with his guitar... best we have ever seen and extremely emotional.

No matter how much someone might hate Naughty Dog and Neil Druckmann for reasons beyond my understand, they are god damn wizards on the technical side of things and the attention to detail and perfection easily makes Naughty Dog the best dev out there.

Such a strange feeling playing this. I don't think I have enjoyed a game so much whilst absolutely hating the character you play as so much.

He’s right though. There’s still nothing that matches the acting, models, scope and attention to detail and overall physics of this game. You can fucking play Metallica with your controller:

And her fucking fingers match all the fucking chords.

Truth hurts.

Sure Jan GIF

Miles Morales has outsold both TLOU2 and Ghost by now. Its consistently charting on PS5 every month. Both physical and digital. Its reputation is of quality fun.
MIles Morales took like 6 months to sell over 6.5M copies...in 2 platforms. TLOU2 took 3 days to sell 4M copies on PS4 alone.

We don't have more updates since those first 3 days for the game, but yeah...please keep posting all that with no sources.

Is there anything you like and impresses you? Please shower us with your impeccable taste and wisdom.

This may come as a shock, but the production costs of a game does not and will not ever equal to good game and not just games, but movies, tv , etc. If that were the case Transformers or Avatar would be the best movies ever made. I and millions of other gamers have played games, indies even, that were better than The Last of Us 2. It has incredible animations but that's all I can praise it for.

tommib

This may come as a shock, but the production costs of a game does not and will not ever equal to good game and not just games, but movies, tv , etc. If that were the case Transformers or Avatar would be the best movies ever made. I and millions of other gamers have played games, indies even, that were better than The Last of Us 2. It has incredible animations but that's all I can praise it for.
Are you comparing a dark-as-death horror survival game with an incredible depressive mood to a summer blockbuster like Transformers? Can’t you see how nothing you’re talking about makes sense.

ND had the biggest balls in the world to make this game and apply the best artistry and gameplay you could find in a third-person-stealth-shooter and wrap it up with an ultra-adult take on the revenge genre. It’s unparalleled. Why are we comparing indies to this? This all started with you suggesting other games had better production values and for people to play more.

You're just a troll and you’re going on ignore, thank you very much.

Are you comparing a dark-as-death horror survival game with an incredible depressive mood to a summer blockbuster like Transformers? Can’t you see how nothing you’re talking about makes sense.

ND had the biggest balls in the world to make this game and apply the best artistry and gameplay you could find in a third-person-stealth-shooter and wrap it up with an ultra-adult take on the revenge genre. It’s unparalleled. Why are we comparing indies to this? This all started with you suggesting other games had better production values and for people to play more.

You're just a troll and you’re going on ignore, thank you very much.

Gordon Ramsay Facepalm GIF by Masterchef

Topher

Gold Member

I and "millions of other gamers" thought TLOU 2 was absolutely fantastic. Opinions....

I and "millions of other gamers" thought TLOU 2 was absolutely fantastic. Opinions....

What is it with you idiots that you can't read properly. I swear, every TLOU2 thread is either with dumb-asses who think the game is the second coming of Jesus or dumb-asses who think the game is the absolute shit. I never said its either, are you saying there are no better games than TLOU2 in both quality and production value? Ridiculous. The game was fine but there are better stuff out there in every regard.

Topher

Gold Member
What is it with you idiots that you can't read properly. I swear, every TLOU2 thread is either with dumb-asses who think the game is the second coming of Jesus or dumb-asses who think the game is the absolute shit. I never said its either, are you saying there are no better games than TLOU2 in both quality and production value? Ridiculous. The game was fine but there are better stuff out there in every regard.

Wow......a different opinion really gets you triggered, doesn't it? And what exactly is it that you think I could not read properly? I offered up my own take. I didn't say anything about yours other than to point out the fact that people can have different opinions. Somehow that's a shock to you? I'm truly amazed that you seem to be offended by others praising TLOU 2 production values and quality.

Wow......a different opinion really gets you triggered, doesn't it? And what exactly is it that you think I could not read properly? I offered up my own take. I didn't say anything about yours other than to point out the fact that people can have different opinions. Somehow that's a shock to you? I'm truly amazed that you seem to be offended by others praising TLOU 2 production values and quality.

My opinion was that production value does not equate to quality value and you replied that ppl have different opinions and TLOU2 is fantastic which made no sense whatsoever to what I said nor in any of my posts do I feel offended about ppl praising its production value. Are you saying production value automatically equates to quality? Perhaps, you should read before replying this time.

The game was fine but there are better stuff out there in every regard.
Every regard? Mocap, facial animations, audio design, voice acting, etc.

Please tell me videogames that do better than this one. At best they equal TLOU2 like red dead redemption 2. But one thing TLOU2 did better than that one: realistic playable characters without sacrificing their playability. It was that sweet spot that's so hard to get.

What's weird is how tough it is for some people to at least acknowledge the insane amount of work this game has behind it and how many mechanics work together so flawlessly and yes...how many things this game does that aren't yet surpassed. Speaking of which... another one: rope physics. Show me a game that does it better. Even how the characters grab all the ropes in the game.

Imagine looking at stuff like this and thinking "lots of games do it better".

Animations:

Everything about this video is insane. A different animation for each upgrade, the sound design... everything. Show me all the videogames that do it much better than this one. I'm sure there's plenty?

About mocap, facial animations, etc. Please show me something that's so much better than this:

Staring at 3:32. Spoilers ahead

The only thing I can think of is the "I'm afraid" cut scene from RDR2...but again...just about as good.

We could do this all day and dissect the entire game honestly...but it's not like it's worth it lol.

Topher

Gold Member
My opinion was that production value does not equate to quality value and you replied that ppl have different opinions and TLOU2 is fantastic which made no sense whatsoever to what I said nor in any of my posts do I feel offended about ppl praising its production value. Are you saying production value automatically equates to quality? Perhaps, you should read before replying this time.

Your opinion also spoke for "millions of other gamers" which is what I was referencing in my response. You know.....the part of your post I actually put in quotes in my own reply? The point being the opinions of you and your "millions of other gamers" means no more than mine and my "millions of other gamers". Sorry.....it just doesn't. You can call others "idiots" all you want in response and say they need to "play more games" if it makes you feel better, but you are making yourself look silly, to be honest.

And clearly you are offended about the opinions of others on TLOU 2 when you have have to resort to needless insults.

At no point did I say "production value automatically equates to quality". Perhaps you should stop reading things I haven't said this time.

tommib

Guys, he’s an anti-Woke obsessed. He’ll never acknowledge anything regarding this game because the TLOU2 has already committed the unforgivable sin of not having a straight person as the main character. It’s depressing to see how your political ideology taints any clearness in objectively analysing a fucking videogame.

Last edited:
At best they equal TLOU2 like red dead redemption 2.

You answered your own question. Sure maybe TLOU2 does some things better or samey than your example, RDR2, but I played both and I can positively say that RDR2 has a superior atmosphere and its even an open world game, not linear/open-ended like TLOU2. All AAA games have high production costs and each does something impressive compared to another, God of War, HZD, Witcher 3, hell even Cyberpunk and many others. My point is, that does not mean they are good games. Theres more to graphics than amazing animation or weapon details. If we focused on those things, again, as I fucking said so, every piece of media that has poured tons of money it would be considered the best, which is false.

Your opinion also spoke for "millions of other gamers" which is what I was referencing in my response. You know.....the part of your post I actually put in quotes in my own reply? The point being the opinions of you and your "millions of other gamers" means no more than mine and my "millions of other gamers". Sorry.....it just doesn't. You can call others "idiots" all you want in response and say they need to "play more games" if it makes you feel better, but you are making yourself look silly, to be honest.

And clearly you are offended about the opinions of others on TLOU 2 when you have have to resort to needless insults.

At no point did I say "production value automatically equates to quality". Perhaps you should stop reading things I haven't said this time.

You're twisting my words and dancing around my opinion. I'll ask again, simple as that. Do you think the money poured into a game makes the said game better? Do you think there are no gamers who think there are better games than TLOU2? Yes or no to both questions.

Topher

Gold Member
Do you think the money poured into a game makes the said game better?

Not necessarily, but you are not going to make a game like TLOU 2 without a lot of money.

Do you think there are no gamers who think there are better games than TLOU2?

Of course there are gamers who think there are better games than TLOU2. What kind of question is that?

Not necessarily, but you are not going to make a game like TLOU 2 without a lot of money.

Of course there are gamers who think there are better games than TLOU2. What kind of question is that?

Then you agree, except for the idiots part, with what I originally stated before you first quoted me then. Glad we reached a conclusion then. I'll circle back to what I quoted the first person on this thread who said there are no games with the same production value as TLOU2 and say it again, yes there are but theres also more to games than the money poured into it. That is all I wanted to say. Also games can be okay/decent/average regardless of their budget. Have a good one.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Then you agree, except for the idiots part, with what I originally stated before you first quoted me then. Glad we reached a conclusion then. I'll circle back to what I quoted the first person on this thread who said there are no games with the same production value as TLOU2 and say it again, yes there are but theres also more to games than the money poured into it. That is all I wanted to say. Also games can be okay/decent/average regardless of their budget. Have a good one.

That's not the question you asked me. I agree with lh032 lh032 in that I haven't seen any game that surpasses TLOU 2 in production values. That game exudes quality and the production values are extremely high. There are some that are comparable such as RDR 2 and anyone could probably come up with a shortlist of games that have production values that high, but to me TLOU 2 would top that list. But this is all very subjective. Either way, I do agree with you that massive budgets does not automatically mean a quality game. Cyberpunk 2077 comes immediately to mind.

Last edited:
I haven't seen any game that surpasses TLOU 2 in production values.

Do you people have different sources that I dont where you know how much money went into making all these triple A games and you know for a fact that TLOU2 has spent the most money compared to say CP2077 or RDR2 or Fortnite or any other big game? Like I said, some games use resources on different aspects and I did agree that animations in TLOU2 are one thing they probably spent a ton of but Im sure same can be said about RDR2 spending money on the environment.

Topher

Gold Member
Do you people have different sources that I dont where you know how much money went into making all these triple A games and you know for a fact that TLOU2 has spent the most money compared to say CP2077 or RDR2 or Fortnite or any other big game? Like I said, some games use resources on different aspects and I did agree that animations in TLOU2 are one thing they probably spent a ton of but Im sure same can be said about RDR2 spending money on the environment.

No idea what the actual budget is, but that is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the quality of the game itself. Like I said, this is subjective.

GymWolf

Gameplay, graphic and animations were ace.

Story and most of the characters were trash.

Still my goty for 2020

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It’s got two different main characters that has them whipping through zombies, I give the game a B+ naughty dog battled their butts off with last of us part 2, the opening is memorable ,Abby is very likeable how could you not like her? Maybe the best character in the history of naughty dog games, for a beat up post apocalyptic world it looks pretty, I thought the reviews were over reactionary, everyone should be thanking naughty dog for opening the post Ellie world. You gotta be careful with Ellie fans, and taking shots at them. Abby is better. Case closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom