• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II sells more than 4 million copies

HawarMiran

Banned
People aren't so much happy about its success as they are "SUCK IT HATERS!" or some other bullshit. Just take a look at the first page of this thread if you're that curious. And you can always read the users review on metacritic if you wish to know what made them unhappy about the game (y'know, the ones being dismissed as bots).
yeah we saw those reviewers on metacritic who conveniently gave every game on Xbox a 10 and every Sony exclusive a 0. BTW they can give the story a 0 all they want. Nobody can deny them that. But all the other stuff is on another level. Putting so much work into a game for almost a decade and some low lifes give it a 0. Graphics and such are undeniably a 9. Personal opinion doesn't change that.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
yeah we saw those reviewers on metacritic who conveniently gave every game on Xbox a 10 and every Sony exclusive a 0. BTW they can give the story a 0 all they want. Nobody can deny them that. But all the other stuff is on another level. Putting so much work into a game for almost a decade and some low lifes give it a 0. Graphics and such are undeniably a 9. Personal opinion doesn't change that.
If you don't like the gameplay, don't care for the story or the characters all you have is graphics. At that point why not just watch a movie or a netflix original for a similar experience of meh?

HawarMiran

Banned
If you don't like the gameplay, don't care for the story or the characters all you have is graphics. At that point why not just watch a movie or a netflix original for a similar experience of meh?
No gameplay is good too. That is also a fact :messenger_blowing_kiss:
Edit: Anyone who enjoys TPS games will like the gameplay. There are opinions and then there are facts. This is a fact

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
1. Rockstar is not publishing anything, it's Take-Two's interactive job.
2. Whose fault that Sony is being limited to one platform only?

Owning a platform with tens of millions of paid subscribers and even more tied to it as an ecosystem selling all kinds of products and services is pretty fucking lucrative. Its not a fault, its a strength.

Last edited:

J3nga

Owning a platform with tens of millions of paid subscribers and even more tied to it as an ecosystem selling all kinds of products and services is pretty fucking lucrative. Its not a fault, its a strength.
Then what's the point letting go your own exclusive? Those that want to stay on the platform - stay, PS is a great platform, but there's no reason not to sell extra copies on PC and I think Sony starting to see that.

REE Machine

Banned
The whole internet making memes of it is a clear indicator of making it. NOT.
Whole internet...surejan.gif
Only people making memes are the neckbeards that usually slander movies because of "wokeness" now that theres no option they are turning to the next thing to jump on to keep their depressing fan base and pad their numbers because without fake outrage they are irrelevent on their platform and society in general. The same people shit talking this on their channel have never covered games before

Last edited:

J3nga

Whole internet...surejan.gif
Only people making memes are the neckbeards that usually slander movies because of "wokeness" now that theres no option they are turning to the next thing to jump on to keep their depressing fan base and pad their numbers because without fake outrage they are irrelevent on their platform and society in general. The same people shit talking this on their channel have never covered games before
r2dqpzt61e751.jpg

People are bashing this game for bad writing, weak characters development and making some characters an idiots that do dumb shit is hard to believe just so it goes by the shallow narrative druckmann wants this game to follow.

Last edited:

REE Machine

Banned
r2dqpzt61e751.jpg

People are bashing this game for bad writing, weak characters development and making some characters an idiots that do dumb shit is hard to believe just so it goes by the shallow narrative druckmann wants this game to follow.
And people are also praising ir loving the story, the characters and the twists as well. Its a revenge story, there needs to be incentive for that revenge and some sort of emotional pull or there is no point then at all. And the characters from my playthrough have been consistent from the first game unti the second so no idea what the complaints are about

J3nga

And people are also praising ir loving the story, the characters and the twists as well. Its a revenge story, there needs to be incentive for that revenge and some sort of emotional pull or there is no point then at all. And the characters from my playthrough have been consistent from the first game unti the second so no idea what the complaints are about
It's the Abby part that many not happy about and not feeling empathy/emotional attachment including myself, it could have worked maybe if it was better directed.

NahaNago

Well I was expecting at least a minimum of 2 to 3 million sales for this game around its launch just based off the Last of Us name. Although it got a lot heat because of the leaks the outrage wasn't mainstream for it to hurt its sales.

REE Machine

Banned
It's the Abby part that many not happy about and not feeling empathy/emotional attachment including myself, it could have worked maybe if it was better directed.
And thats your experience there are alot of people like myself who actually like abby and especially love the way she plays as well gameplay wise, and fact if she is a tragic character created by Joel himself which leads to the events of the second game

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Then what's the point letting go your own exclusive? Those that want to stay on the platform - stay, PS is a great platform, but there's no reason not to sell extra copies on PC and I think Sony starting to see that.

Its a trade off, the key being that gains from being more open platform, cannot come at a cost to the PSN mothership, and ideally serve a secondary purpose of drawing more eyeballs on the Playstation ecosystem and its headline franchises.

So for instance it makes sense to re-issue older titles like HZD on PC because at this point sales are pretty much exhausted on PS4, but with there being an upcoming PS5 exclusive sequel coming up it presents an opportunity to encourage buy-in on their core business.

whitesugar

Banned
was curious to see how it was doing on uk and us amazon, now and it's still charting high. also the average user review on both has gone up to 4.0 despite it starting with a load of 1-star reviews straight off the bat, so the general consensus looks positive. 10m is a lock, but i don't think it will hit 15m due to the story leaks and some bad word of mouth putting people off

GhostOfTsu

Banned

Who wouldn't like the gameplay? I've been playing for 25 hours and it's so intense and visceral, I would never judge this game by watching videos and out-of-context cutscenes online like all the haters are doing. They think they are qualified to review the game after watching some streams. Nonsense.

Jtibh

Banned
Bye bye lost all of us 2

Expect flash sale at 20 bucks kicking in very soon

Last edited:
was curious to see how it was doing on uk and us amazon, now and it's still charting high. also the average user review on both has gone up to 4.0 despite it starting with a load of 1-star reviews straight off the bat, so the general consensus looks positive. 10m is a lock, but i don't think it will hit 15m due to the story leaks and some bad word of mouth putting people off
weren't some sites blocking new negative last of us reviews and deleting some of the old ones too?

Jtibh

Banned
Second week of sales, how do they work?
Dont know but again the point is most wont buy at full price from here on.
Way too many people are dumping it at almost 50 percent.
I can see a flash sale at 40 bucks in the next two months on psn.

In summary this game wont ever reach the sale numbers set buy the first game.

nowhat

As far as covers go, I could do that better. Am7 is the thing for the first chord, and then Dsus9 instead of D major so the highest string is E at all times. In the chorus, keep having G on the highest string on every chord (that's what the Johnny Cash cover does with the piano).

But I'm both impressed and quite baffled that they made this thing into a game mechanic. Because really, the chords Ellie does are totally legit. There must have been a considerable amount of work involved, for something that's pretty much a distraction/minigame.

PresetError

Neophyte
We all should wait a couple of weeks more before making assumptions. 80% is a signifficant drop off but it's for physical copies (hardcore fans love physical and already have theirs).

I suspect TLOU2 will have short legs indeed but let's be patient. If Sony hasn't mentioned more sales figures in the next two weeks it will mean the hype train is dead.

Yoboman

Dont know but again the point is most wont buy at full price from here on.
Way too many people are dumping it at almost 50 percent.
I can see a flash sale at 40 bucks in the next two months on psn.

In summary this game wont ever reach the sale numbers set buy the first game.
Around 80% drop in second week is standard yet people want to act surprised when it happens. I guess if you hate the game, you're grasping onto anything like a man dying of thirst

Jtibh

Banned
Around 80% drop in second week is standard yet people want to act surprised when it happens. I guess if you hate the game, you're grasping onto anything like a man dying of thirst
Wrong

And i bet it will hit psnow very soon.

Last edited:
why would anyone trade in this masterpiece ?
trade-in? I think the question is whether the many european countries with extensive customer protection allow returns for full refunds.
edit:
My god the stupidity of this man child. He hates this game so much and just won't shut up with trying to spin his agenda. UC4 had a similar drop and went on to sell over 15 million copies. This guy is pathetic.
uncharted also didn't have 4.X score, originally 3.X before negative reviews were being blocked and deleted like last of us.

Negative word of mouth from streamers and most users. Though perhaps negative word of mouth doesn't affect game legs as much as movie legs.

Last edited:
Bye bye lost all of us 2

Anyone who watches his videos and takes him seriously is biased anyways. This guy is one of the greatest haters out there. All he does is inciting hate and cybermobbing.

I've been watching his stuff a while back. Seen many of his videos but ultimatly couldn't stand it. He is just to much of an asshole overall.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Bye bye lost all of us 2

Halo 5, Fallout 4, Metal Gear V, Batman: Arkham Knight, Uncharted 4 all saw similar drops.

It's obvious that many people don't track sales and think a 80% drop is bad.

ShadowLag

Thought I'd throw my thoughts in here -

1. - TLOU 1 was my favorite "modern" game of all time. I completed it at least 6 times - two of which were on Grounded mode (the hardest difficulty).
  2. - I thought the story ended perfectly, and didn't feel like a sequel was needed, at least not for Joel and Ellie (but I would play one if it was made).
  3. - I wasn't super excited about TLOU2, but I knew it would be 10/10 Naughty Dog Quality(TM) when it came out and didn't think about it during development.
  4. - I avoided ALL leaks. NOTHING was spoiled for me. All I had to go by were the official trailers, interviews from Neil and the crew, and the 10/10s from all the journos.
  5. - Started the game Day 1 at midnight.
  6. - Thought the first couple hours were just... boring. Weak intro, boring tutorial stuff.
  7. - The big shocker a couple hours in that pissed off most fans, also pissed me off - but I got it, that's what the game is supposed to do, for the plot.
  8. - The rest of the game: absolutely boring. Gameplay did nothing but irritate me (actions felt more sluggish than the first game, all the scavenging got incredibly old due to the bloated size of the game), and at no point did I feel anything for any of the characters, new or old - because something was just very off with the writing and narrative structure. I just wanted it to be over, and to see how it concluded. The only character I felt had a really compelling story going on was Lev - he was my favorite.
  9. - Finished the game after about 5 days. Didn't like it at all for any of the reasons that matter for a sequel to TLOU - gameplay and narrative. It truly, honestly, felt like a bizarre fanfic that wasn't canon.
  10. - Deleted the game from my HDD.
  11. - Felt bad for all the incredible actors, artists, cinematographers, sound designers, programmers, etc. that had to waste their talents on such a boring final product.
I love Neil and ND, I'm happy for their success, and I see what they were trying to accomplish with the game - but my honest opinion is that they botched it big time. I feel like the spark of genius that guided the first game just wasn't here, and a lot of bad final decisions were made in a lot of areas that added up to what we got.

-MD-

And people seem to be reselling it just as fast on Mercari hahaha (hit refresh after visiting the link to see the video):

So same as ever other single player game in existence, people finished it and they're onto the next thing.

Shocking.

1. - The rest of the game: absolutely boring. Gameplay did nothing but irritate me (actions felt more sluggish than the first game, all the scavenging got incredibly old due to the bloated size of the game), and at no point did I feel anything for any of the characters, new or old - because something was just very off with the writing and narrative structure. I just wanted it to be over, and to see how it concluded. The only character I felt had a really compelling story going on was Lev - he was my favorite.

While I don't agree in that the entire game is boring, I absolutely DO agree that the bloated size of the areas really hurts the game, finding loot in the first game never bothered me but here it just seems to drag on forever because of the amount of buildings it wants you to explore and the size of areas. They really took a "bigger is better" approach to the sequel and it didn't do anything but hurt the final product.

I'm about 17 hours in and think it's a fantastic game but it's definitely not better than the original.

Last edited:
Top Bottom