• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II sells more than 4 million copies

iHaunter

giphy.gif

Getting away with making great games? Sure can!

turtlepowa

Banned
Animal Crossing sold 13 million in 6 weeks, TLOU2 really has to keep momentum going to match that.
PS4 has a user base of nearly 120 million, Switch just 60. Also Animal Crossing had some competition with Doom Eternal, Call of Duty: Warzone, Ori 2 or Nioh 2 when it was released, TLOU2 not so much.

Nothing can stop Animal Crossing.

PS4 has a user base of nearly 120 million, Switch just 60. Also Animal Crossing had some competition with Doom Eternal, Call of Duty: Warzone, Ori 2 or Nioh 2 when it was released, TLOU2 not so much.

What's AC total sales now? I read 17 million somewhere. If it stays around that, TLOU2 has a chance to outsell it over its lifetime.

But if AC continues to sell as you'd expect, it'll have the higher total sales.

Don't forget Spiderman sold 13.2m as of Aug 2019, probably around 14-15m as of today and TLOU2 blew past its opening sales figures and has much better reviews.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
What's AC total sales now? I read 17 million somewhere. If it stays around that, TLOU2 has a chance to outsell it over its lifetime.

But if AC continues to sell as you'd expect, it'll have the higher total sales.

Don't forget Spiderman sold 13.2m as of Aug 2019, probably around 14-15m as of today and TLOU2 blew past its opening sales figures and has much better reviews.
I think Animal Crossing will do 20 million this year. Even if TLOU2 beats it, and i highly doubt this, for me the true winner will still be Animal Crossing, because it had half the user base to achieve it.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I think Animal Crossing will do 20 million this year. Even if TLOU2 beats it, and i highly doubt this, for me the true winner will still be Animal Crossing, because it had half the user base to achieve it.
Nintendo also spent next to nothing making it in comparisson with TLoU 2.

Weird you bring up install bases before claiming Animal Crossing's competition included games... not on the Switch... a big part of why Nintendo exclusives have such high attach rates is their lack of competition on the platform.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Weird you bring up install bases before claiming Animal Crossing's competition included games... not on the Switch... a big part of why Nintendo exclusives have such high attach rates is their lack of competition on the platform.
Good point, but even when you go back to SNES which is the last console to get tons of third party support going up against Genesis, Nintendo first party games still sold a lot over 50 million consoles. You can ignore Super Mario World's inflated sales as that was a pack in game for a good chunk of the time.

Good point, but even when you go back to SNES which is the last console to get tons of third party support going up against Genesis, Nintendo first party games still sold a lot over 50 million consoles. You can ignore Super Mario World's inflated sales as that was a pack in game for a good chunk of the time.

7 of that top 10 were sold with consoles, actually. I think going that far back is a very different gaming landscape anyways.

turtlepowa

Banned
Many people have a Switch as second or third platform, just like many PS4 owners have other systems too. 70% of the people here keep saying "Who needs a Xbox? We have a Pc". And with a Pc the Switch has competition indirectly.
And a year from now when Nintendo and Sony are selling the game to laggards, AC will still be full price and LoU2 will $30 on digital deals and Black Friday.
Another good point. I never see Nintendo games below 40 bucks while games like HZD or GOW are being sold off cheap on cdkeys.

Many people have a Switch as second or third platform, just like many PS4 owners have other systems too. 70% of the people here keep saying "Who needs a Xbox? We have a Pc". And with a Pc the Switch has competition indirectly.

Another good point. I never see Nintendo games below 40 bucks while games like HZD or GOW are being sold off cheap on cdkeys.

CDkeys has a Nintendo section...

If Nintendo is your second or third platform then doesn't it stand to reason you own it for the exclusives?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

The best I've seen in Canada is the first party games (regular price $80) being sold on a hot deal for $50.

Maybe I missed some hotter $40 deals, but right now all the Marios, Kart, Zelda still regular price $80.

turtlepowa

Banned
CDkeys has a Nintendo section...

If Nintendo is your second or third platform then doesn't it stand to reason you own it for the exclusives?
Then show me AAA Nintendo first party games for 5-10 bucks on cdkeys. The Switch is also bought by many people for it's concept.

The best I've seen in Canada is the first party games (regular price $80) being sold on a hot deal for $50.

Maybe I missed some hotter $40 deals, but right now all the Marios, Kart, Zelda still regular price $80.
In Europe i rarely saw a few for 40 bucks, but usually 50 or more.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
A sign of the apocalypse.

A game that plays this pedestrian shouldn't be this successful. Contrary to what I believed... gameplay is not king. Aping Hollywood movies is.
The gameplay is great: Great set pieces, shooting, melee, you should play it

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The gameplay is great: Great set pieces, shooting, melee, you should play it

Beat it last night.

Gameplay was very "blah". MGSV and the Hitman games are clearly superior in terms of gameplay. It plays it extremely safe (boring) when it comes to gameplay.

Last edited:
Do you really want to use the user score to determine if people like it or not? I wouldn't use the user score for any game BTW when it comes to Metacritic. With Steam you can at least tell if they played the game or not.

Well, you can't completely trust the Critics score, either. Critics aren't required to really play through the game, certainly not fully. Plus critics by and large don't pay for their copies like regular gamers do.

I'm not even talking about the pressure on critics to give good reviews to keep receiving perks and access by game studios, either.

Gay people in a game = Woke.
Cyberpunk is going to grow money with wokeness.

Sales doesnt mean something is good. Reviews are fake. Well damn what is Sony going to do? Make more.

This is such a retarded post. Simply having gay people in a game doesn't make it woke. Simply having any group that's non-white or non-straight doesn't make something woke, either. It's always about the execution and if any subvert messages/agendas are being squeezed in alongside that.

Also nothing needs to be diverse to be a shitty story or product. Bad writing/art/plot/designs/mechanics are just bad. Preferably if you know enough about how mediums actually function, you can easily say why something's bad without ever once needing to use "woke" as a talking point.

Last edited:
Well, you can't completely trust the Critics score, either. Critics aren't required to really play through the game, certainly not fully. Plus critics by and large don't pay for their copies like regular gamers do.

But those critics are professionals and have actual jobs on the line. They are not going to review bomb a game and give it a zero due to "fanboy" reasons. I would definitely trust the critic score over the user score.

Then show me AAA Nintendo first party games for 5-10 bucks on cdkeys. The Switch is also bought by many people for it's concept.

In Europe i rarely saw a few for 40 bucks, but usually 50 or more.

Nintendo's pricing is just a strategy, it has nothing to do with how much more the games sell or anything like that. The WiiU had the same pricing strategy and flopped hard. NPD charts are based on revenue, not unit sales, yet Nintendo games get beaten by games like GTA V and the latest CoD which see actual price drops, clearly the strategy isn't perfect, it works because you can't get the game elsewhere, it wouldn't be hard for Sony to do the same thing with their prestige titles but they don't need to because they have actual third party support.

Bodomism

Banned
Nintendo's pricing is just a strategy, it has nothing to do with how much more the games sell or anything like that. The WiiU had the same pricing strategy and flopped hard. NPD charts are based on revenue, not unit sales, yet Nintendo games get beaten by games like GTA V and the latest CoD which see actual price drops, clearly the strategy isn't perfect, it works because you can't get the game elsewhere, it wouldn't be hard for Sony to do the same thing with their prestige titles but they don't need to because they have actual third party support.
Nintendo didn't provide digital number for example Smash Bros opened at 3.6M on NPD while sold 4.5M including digital, animal crossing new horizons had over 55% digital sales while opening at 1.9M physically on NPD.

Last edited:
But those critics are professionals and have actual jobs on the line. They are not going to review bomb a game and give it a zero due to "fanboy" reasons. I would definitely trust the critic score over the user score.

You give them too much credit. There's access media with game journalists just as there is with film critics. Several games journalists have more or less stated as such. If you believe it's all about being professional and keeping their jobs, well,...yeah to some extent, but not always in the context you're thinking it is.

Not everyone giving the game a zero is out of being a console fanboy; some of them simply hated what the game did to certain characters THAT much. This isn't too hard to understand. And games get negative as well as positive review-bombed, again same with the big films these days.

It's for those reasons why, overall, I'd take user reviews over most major critic ones. I asked this before but I'll ask it again; if the negative reviews for the game on MC were all fanboys and trolls, why hasn't there been an influx of positive reviews (legitimate positive reviews)? Why has the negative user score only marginally increased by deleting some negative reviews?

We saw all of these same tactics with Marvel films such as Captain Marvel, and other films like The Last Jedi. At some point people need to accept that some major parts of the professional reviews clique are doing their scores more for continued perks and politics, especially when that's paired with big media sites attacking all people who don't have the same views on the product as the critics.

Hobbygaming

You give them too much credit. There's access media with game journalists just as there is with film critics. Several games journalists have more or less stated as such. If you believe it's all about being professional and keeping their jobs, well,...yeah to some extent, but not always in the context you're thinking it is.

Not everyone giving the game a zero is out of being a console fanboy; some of them simply hated what the game did to certain characters THAT much. This isn't too hard to understand. And games get negative as well as positive review-bombed, again same with the big films these days.

It's for those reasons why, overall, I'd take user reviews over most major critic ones. I asked this before but I'll ask it again; if the negative reviews for the game on MC were all fanboys and trolls, why hasn't there been an influx of positive reviews (legitimate positive reviews)? Why has the negative user score only marginally increased by deleting some negative reviews?

We saw all of these same tactics with Marvel films such as Captain Marvel, and other films like The Last Jedi. At some point people need to accept that some major parts of the professional reviews clique are doing their scores more for continued perks and politics, especially when that's paired with big media sites attacking all people who don't have the same views on the product as the critics.
The reason you don't see tens of thousands of positive reviews is because the people enjoying the game aren't that desperate like those with the agenda of hurting the game's success by creating fake reviews

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Beat it last night.

Gameplay was very "blah". MGSV and the Hitman games are clearly superior in terms of gameplay. It plays it extremely safe (boring) when it comes to gameplay.
Dont believe a word of this. You didnt beat shit lol. And if you did I bet you played on easy :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Dont believe a word of this. You didnt beat shit lol. And if you did I bet you played on easy :messenger_grinning_smiling:

No, I played on the standard difficulty. Beat it at 1:30am last night. I enjoyed the game, though found it to be pretty overrated. Felt like an 8.5/10 to me.

The strength of the game lies in the story and presentation. It does nothing interesting from a gameplay perspective.

I just don't know how anyone can be impressed with stealth gameplay this average. The AI, player abilities, and level design have been done better in much older games at this point.

Again, not bad. Just not good in the slightest.

Also, the penalty for death in this game is a complete travesty and reduces the tension tenfold. Why do gamers still find this acceptable?

Woggleman

Up it to hard or survivor and the gameplay really starts to shine but to me this is actually the best playing game ND has ever put out.

Finally got some to bite the bait, and that bait has been hanging around on several threads. Tip, ask for specificity next time you want to entertain him.

Kerotan

Exactly. Not exactly a whole lot of choice for people who buy a switch.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
No, I played on the standard difficulty. Beat it at 1:30am last night. I enjoyed the game, though found it to be pretty overrated. Felt like an 8.5/10 to me.

The strength of the game lies in the story and presentation. It does nothing interesting from a gameplay perspective.

I just don't know how anyone can be impressed with stealth gameplay this average. The AI, player abilities, and level design have been done better in much older games at this point.

Also, the penalty for death in this game is a complete travesty and reduces the tension tenfold. Why do gamers still find this acceptable?
This may sound snobby or whatever, but it is what it is. TLOU is a game that needs to be played on Hard at MINIMUM. Survival is the ideal sweet spot. It changes the game drastically. People who played on anything below hard really have no clue how the game really is. It essentially changes genres when you switch difficulty. On easy and normal, you can play like rambo. Unlimited ammo supply, enemies dont communicate nearly as much, follow the same paths, etc. On survior, its a fucking masterful stealth game. The enemy AI is drastically improved. Never seen better enemy AI than this game on survivor. Cant judge unless you played on hard or survivor, seriously.

Last edited:
Difficulty does improve the AI aspect, the dmg values, and thus reworks the scarcity aspect of the game that will force more stealth, more strategy and thus more player thinking but even on easy or normal the gameplay is still great. Difficulty doesn't change the upgrade trees, doesn't change the gunplay feel, doesn't change the melee combat, doesn't change the enviromental layout, prone combat, the way the bow behaves, the way arrows impact your health, how heavy guns break your aiming, enemy variety etc etc.

Don't tell people who are obviously trolling to get gud or do this or do that, you're just handing them a crutch. Ask what exactly "feels bleh", which game does "x better" and if he finds "x game", to explain how. The onus is on him, not you.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
This may sound snobby or whatever, but it is what it is. TLOU is a game that needs to be played on Hard at MINIMUM. Survival is the ideal sweet spot. It changes the game drastically. People who played on anything below hard really have no clue how the game really is. It essentially changes genres when you switch difficulty. On easy and normal, you can play like rambo. Unlimited ammo supply, enemies dont communicate nearly as much, follow the same paths, etc. On survior, its a fucking masterful stealth game. The enemy AI is drastically improved. Never seen better enemy AI than this game on survivor. Cant judge unless you played on hard or survivor, seriously.

Well, the Naughty Dog made an aggregious mistake considering the vast majority of players will play on standard difficulty or lower.

I have no interest in going back to play again considering how limited the gameplay was.

This is such a retarded post. Simply having gay people in a game doesn't make it woke. Simply having any group that's non-white or non-straight doesn't make something woke, either. It's always about the execution and if any subvert messages/agendas are being squeezed in alongside that.

Also nothing needs to be diverse to be a shitty story or product. Bad writing/art/plot/designs/mechanics are just bad. Preferably if you know enough about how mediums actually function, you can easily say why something's bad without ever once needing to use "woke" as a talking point.
whats your fucking point, obviously we are talking about TLoU2. People have stated how its "woke", all the crying about has been about that. If thats the criteria, Cyberpunk is going woke and not broke.

The PS4 has a much more varied games library. The Switch is a bit like the N64 in its days, it has less games, so whenever anything good releases for the machine it sells bunkers (and it has to be a good march for the console's audience).

Hobbygaming

The more you comment, the more it sounds like you haven't played it 😂 you very well could have but you sound way off the Mark

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The more you comment, the more it sounds like you haven't played it 😂 you very well could have but you sound way off the Mark

Actually, now that I think about it...you haven't played it.

(This is a fun and interesting conversational tactic. I will use it whenever I disagree with anyone on anything. Hopefully it works in all areas of life)

Hobbygaming

Well, the Naughty Dog made an aggregious mistake considering the vast majority of players will play on standard difficulty or lower.

I have no interest in going back to play again considering how limited the gameplay was.
What are these third person shooters that are much more open in gameplay that let you use mines, go prone, dodge, use verticality by getting to higher platforms, take enemies captive, lure infected to human enemies, hide under trucks, squeeze through holes in the wall to escape, etc

List these third person shooters

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
What are these third person shooters that are much more open in gameplay that let you use mines, go prone, dodge, use verticality by getting to higher platforms, take enemies captive, lure infected to human enemies, hide under trucks, squeeze through holes in the wall to escape, etc

List these third person shooters

Is this satire?

You want me to list you the games where you can place traps?

Use verticality? Hide under trucks? Squeeze through holes?

Please, someone kill me if I ever praise a game that lets me "squeeze through holes",

Have you ever played a third person stealth game...ever?

Hobbygaming

Is this satire?

You want me to list you the games where you can place traps?

Use verticality? Hide under trucks? Squeeze through holes?

Please, someone kill me if I ever praise a game that lets me "squeeze through holes",

Have you ever played a third person stealth game...ever?
You said it is limited in gameplay so what does this long list of shooters that do way more look like?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You said it is limited in gameplay so what does this long list of shooters that do way more look like?

Actually, I've come to my senses.

None of the highly regarded stealth games of the last 20 years have a "squeeze through holes" gameplay mechanic. I'm an idiot. Squeezing through holes in stealth games is revalatory. It has changed the way all future stealth games will be viewed. The amount of joy double tapping X so that my character performs an animation to access a different part of the level should not be understated. Forgive me!

GpMvX3.gif

Hobbygaming

Actually, I've come to my senses.

None of the highly regarded stealth games of the last 20 years have a "squeeze through holes" gameplay mechanic. I'm an idiot. Squeezing through holes in stealth games is revalatory. It has changed the way all future stealth games will be viewed. The amount of joy double tapping X so that my character performs an animation to access a different part of the level should not be understated. Forgive me!

GpMvX3.gif
So you can't prove that it's limited, gotcha

Top Bottom