• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II remains 3rd best selling game of 2020. Lifetime dollar sales 3rd highest in history for Sony to date. 4th best selling in July.

Will TLOUII outsell Spider-Man in both dollar sales* and units sold in its first year of tracking?

• Total voters
TLOU.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Historical Data: The Last of US part II sold more than 4 million copies in 3 days after its launch in June 19, 2020.

Last edited:
In the first year, probably. Unlikely for lifetime sales.

I'm a bit confused as to whether he's using those numbers aligned or if he's just counting aggregate. He doesn't specify if lifetime dollar sales are aligned or not....... or did he on Reeera and I'm just not on the loop?

Last edited:

Klayzer

I'm a bit confused as to whether he's using those numbers aligned or if he's just counting aggregate. He doesn't specify if lifetime dollar sales are aligned or not....... or did he on Reeera and I'm just not on the loop?
Good question. I wouldn't ask Matt, he can get a little pissy if you ask him to many questions.

joe_zazen

One thing that is super interesting is just how little sales matter after the first couple of months in terms of money. Like tlou1 is a 20M seller and UC4 is at 16, yet a game that is between 4-5M full priced sales has earned more.

The exception being Nintendo of course.

Last edited:

Ellery

TLOU2 might be ten times better than Spider Man (Still a great game), but we gotta be honest here there is no chance they would ever beat a Superhero game. Even if Spider Man wasn't a good game it is just enough to have Spidey on the cover and the children nagging their mums to buy Spider Man for them in the store would be enough to outsell nearly any other game.

Honestly one should be surprised how well TLOU2 sells considering there is a girl on the cover and many ignorant gamers don't like that at all.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Why does this matter to so many gamers? I never understood the appeal behind looking at sales numbers outside of knowing your favorite console is performing well.
High sales meaning higher chance for a sequel. TLOU P3 is guaranteed but if it was a new ip, high sales is what drives interest in that product/project and hopes for a sequel. Thats why a lot of xbox games didnt get many or any because they sold poorly.

Would have sold even more if another major title didnt come out a month later.

its like god of war coming out a month after spiderman.

The fact remains that this game's legs are not as good as its counterparts. It started out ahead of GOW and Spider-Man, by quite a bit. It has fallen behind those games. In fact, we haven't got an update on its sales, even though it has been out for two months.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The fact remains that this game's legs are not as good as its counterparts. It started out ahead of GOW and Spider-Man, by quite a bit. It has fallen behind those games. In fact, we haven't got an update on its sales, even though it has been out for two months.

Just wait til the inevitable PS5 upgrade, and whatever they decide to do with the multiplayer. I'm sure Sony and ND will look to revisit this particular well down the line given how well the PS4 reissue did for the first title.

Terenty

I dont get it. Tlou 2 earned more money in the Usa after two months than Uncharted 4 or Horizon in all their lifetime? Or It earned more money in a set period of time after its release compared to the same period of time for those games? Because frankly it seems impossible if its the former.

So we get The Last of Us Part III

I'd love to see Naughty Dog round off Ellie's story in Part 3 on the PS5. The theme could be hope, and the goal could be finally finding a cure or vaccine for the virus. Whether it actually works or not could be left unanswered, but Ellie could finally see her life having meaning as being the girl who saved the human race.

Well, that's how I'd do it, at any rate.

Part 2 was mindblowing, absolutely incredible, but also very emotionally intense and not something I can return to any time soon. I imagine when I do, I'll only play as far as when Ellie lets the prisoners out of the Rattlers's prison. I know I would be able to go on any further than that.

Dr Kaneda

Read some comments on this forum and you'd think he was universally hated and sold like shite as a result. The delusion among some on here and the over importance they place on their opinions is staggering at times.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I dont get it. Tlou 2 earned more money in the Usa after two months than Uncharted 4 or Horizon in all their lifetime? Or It earned more money in a set period of time after its release compared to the same period of time for those games? Because frankly it seems impossible if its the former.

That's because Uncharted 4 sold 2.7 million copies in the first week and The Last of Us Part II sold over 4 million in 4 days.

Games generally don't keep up at the same pace as after the first month of sales, so that's when you factor in discounts and units bundled with the PlayStation 4.

Amiga

But I thought the game stopped selling well after that initial first 3 days. Haters of this game can suck it.

are you taking things literally? the implications were always that the bad reception will slow down sales. both Spider-Man and GOW didn't have the expectation TLOU2 had but they outsold it by millions in the same time span. potently $100 million in early weeks is not chump change. you know that and surly a business like Sony know that. they now know they can't depend on media or special interest groups to generate fake excitement.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
are you taking things literally? the implications were always that the bad reception will slow down sales. both Spider-Man and GOW didn't have the expectation TLOU2 had but they outsold it by millions in the same time span. potently $100 million in early weeks is not chump change. you know that and surly a business like Sony know that. they now know they can't depend on media or special interest groups to generate fake excitement.

Ugh, people were saying that people were canceling their pre-orders left and right and how the sales were extremely bad after the two weeks. Now you see people making 3 YouTube videos every week just to hate on the game and talk about how the sales are bad.

We live in a society where people are easily triggered when something conflicts with their political beliefs.

I mentioned several times before, Neil Druckmann has aid from the beginning that people who like the first game may not like second game, and that's what we're saying today. He knew people were going to be turned off by what happens early on in the game.

Sales aren't bad and people need to stop pushing this narrative. What happens now is based on Holiday sales and how successful the TLOU multiplayer is.

Honestly one should be surprised how well TLOU2 sells considering there is a girl on the cover and many ignorant gamers don't like that at all.
I feel this kind of goes to show how the loud the negative minority are. This game had the most hate of any game I've seen recently (that was broken at launch) and yet it smashed sales and reviews.

I wasnt as high in it as some and prefer the first overall, but goes to show how salty people really are.

I remember on one of the hate threads someone said this game sold terribly. They wouldn't accept otherwise.

Hope they see this.

I'm probably that someone or that someone said something similar to me, which is that the game may have underwhelming sales relative to budget and expectation. This tweet doesn't change that, in fact it might even reinforce that possibility. It got outsold by Paper Mario in July, despite launching in late-ish June and PM is not even in the year's top 10. Which would confirm the theory that the launch sales were crazy strong and that the game tanked after that. Next time you want to nail a "gotcha" on the haters, up your reading comprehension game.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I'm probably that someone or that someone said something similar to me, which is that the game may have underwhelming sales relative to budget and expectation. This tweet doesn't change that, in fact it might even reinforce that possibility. It got outsold by Paper Mario in July, despite launching in late-ish June and PM is not even in the year's top 10. Which would confirm the theory that the launch sales were crazy strong and that the game tanked after that. Next time you want to nail a "gotcha" on the haters, up your reading comprehension game.

Wrong.

People have been creating YouTube videos for weeks talking about how the game sales are bad. Majority of the people iave seen did not use the word "May".

Paper Mario: The Origami King launched July 17th, the Last of Us launched June 19th. both had similar days of tracking and most of the sales are usually tracked within the first two weeks.

If you expect sales to stay as strong during the first month compared to the second month, then you really need to start following more sales threads.

What sales expectations are you referring to exactly ?
As you quoted, the person I referenced said the game would sell terribly. I feel this is clear evidence of that. 3rd highest in Sont history is not too shabby I'd say.

Top Bottom