• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II Grounded Mode Trailer/Details. Free Game Update 08/13/2020.

Will you replay it on grounded mode?

• Total voters
Meh. Game wasn't for me and the encounters in general aren't that great, I'm more excited for factions no whenever that's out.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Even in your own example, which conveniently includes a nice chunk of gameplay at the end rather than an example with extended non-gameplay, but that's fine, it's still true. Skim through the video and give it a rough count as to how long the player is actually in danger of dying, and how long they spend walking around picking things up or pushing dumpsters. I did, because apparently I had nothing better to do for 20 minutes and wanted to see how close I was out of curiosity. Know what I got? Around about 52 minutes of in-danger gameplay in that 1hr45m video. That's half, and even if I was way off, that's including the whole time spent redoing sections where they died, which guess what - you won't be able to do in permadeath mode. Know what you will redo, every single time you try? The non-combat sections.

Shit, you can even take the next 40 minutes you mentioned from the same playthrough for an easier example. 20 minutes before they open the door to combat which lasts less than 2 minutes before more looting, back to more combat, more deaths that wouldn't happen in permadeath mode, a nice boss fight and then 10 minutes of walking around. So what, less than a quarter of that video spent in peril..?

I'll say for the third (?) time that 80% was just an exaggeration, but I'd bet good money that if you actually went and tallied the total time you were actually playing with a chance of losing the game VS just walking around, looting with no consequence and watching things play out, you'd easily spend more doing the latter. It's just what The Last of Us is in nature and it's not a fault with the game, I'm just making the case that permadeath in a game like this is a horrible idea. Maybe if you spent closer to 30 hours playing it your experience was very different than mine. My playthrough was absolutely more filler than killer and the problem with permadeath is that you will always spend more time doing unloseable shit, because you can't possible retry the actual game parts and you have no choice but to replay the parts you can't lose.

It's not. You're talking about 30 minutes vs hours of gameplay segments that features mostly action.

You're simply just exaggerating the gameplay segments. Walking around while enemies are around you is not the same thing as walking around finding loot. You're not getting past a good portion of those gameplay segments without killing enemies in your way.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's not. You're talking about 30 minutes vs hours of gameplay segments that features mostly action.

You're simply just exaggerating the gameplay segments. Walking around while enemies are around you is not the same thing as walking around finding loot. You're not getting past a good portion of those gameplay segments without killing enemies in your way.

I don't know what more to say, I literally went through your own example that you claimed had more risk than otherwise. The game is scripted, it's not Diablo, it's not Minecraft. If you stand still in TLOU2 when you aren't already actively engaged with an enemy you will not die. Until you actually encounter an enemy, no, I 100% don't consider that being in danger. What, is a renegade dumpster going to roll over you randomly?

If your significantly longer playthrough had more combat than mine, then I hope you had fun, but mine didn't, and I'm sorry, but 30 hours to clear that thing is unrealistic unless you're going for collectables, which you won't be in a perma run.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I don't know what more to say, I literally went through your own example that you claimed had more risk than otherwise. The game is scripted, it's not Diablo, it's not Minecraft. If you stand still in TLOU2 when you aren't already actively engaged with an enemy you will not die. Until you actually encounter an enemy, no, I 100% don't consider that being in danger. What, is a renegade dumpster going to roll over you randomly?

If your significantly longer playthrough had more combat than mine, then I hope you had fun, but mine didn't, and I'm sorry, but 30 hours to clear that thing is unrealistic unless you're going for collectables, which you won't be in a perma run.

There's video proof proving otherwise. It's right there.

You can stand still in a lot of games and you will not die.

Your logic is flawed. Well, people in here know your claim is bull so that should be enough. lol

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
There's video proof proving otherwise. It's right there.

You can stand still in a lot of games and you will not die.

Your logic is flawed. Well, people in here know your claim is bull so that should be enough. lol

It's right there and I took the time to go through it. Your entire argument is "watch this video". I did. The majority of it is either spent out-of-combat or replaying combat you wouldn't have the chance to in perma. Feel free to count it yourself and disprove that, but you won't, because you know I'm right and there's no point wasting the time.

I'm sorry your playthrough took 50% longer than mine, but that's not a standard playthrough and you either spent those extra 10 hours walking around looking for playing cards or redoing sections you failed, neither of which back up your argument.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It's right there and I took the time to go through it. Your entire argument is "watch this video". I did. The majority of it is either spent out-of-combat or replaying combat you wouldn't have the chance to in perma. Feel free to count it yourself and disprove that, but you won't, because you know I'm right and there's no point wasting the time.

I'm sorry your playthrough took 50% longer than mine, but that's not a standard playthrough and you either spent those extra 10 hours walking around looking for playing cards or redoing sections you failed, neither of which back up your argument.

You're moving goalpost.

You went from saying, "Majority of the time is spent walking and pressing x."

The majority of the areas you can't just walk until after completing the area.

I can sit around in a game like Bayonetta throughout many sections of the game, that doesn't prove the game has mostly walking sections. All I hve to do is say, "Watch the video" because its' evidence. You're trying to tell me something differently is happening in those videos.

But I also make the argument that during NG+ that your time spent looting is far less frequent because you're rarely looking for parts to upgrade your weapons. I also said looting and collecting are both OPTIONAL. Optional is not a requirement.

AV

You're moving goalpost.

You went from saying, "Majority of the time is spent walking and pressing x."

The majority of the areas you can't just walk until after completing the area.

I can sit around in a game like Bayonetta throughout many sections of the game, that doesn't prove the game has mostly walking sections. All I hve to do is say, "Watch the video" because its' evidence. You're trying to tell me something differently is happening in those videos.

What..? The game is literally walking around areas looting and talking UNTIL you encounter enemies. That's the entire loop. You don't kill every enemy in a zone and then go back and sweep everything you just walked past, or at least, you really don't need to. Is that why you took 30 hours..?

And what's Bayonetta got to do with anything? Does that game have a permadeath mode? It might, I don't know, but you already know you spend more time PLAYING Bayo than watching it. In all your posts you barely seem to recognise or acknowledge that I'm very specifically criticising a permadeath mode in TLOU2 because of the way the game works. I'm not criticising TLOU2, it's a modern Naughty Dog game which means most of the time you aren't at risk of losing the game. That's fine, and I would criticise a permadeath mode in Uncharted as well for the exact same reason.

Going to bed, this is such a futile effort.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
What..? The game is literally walking around areas looting and talking UNTIL you encounter enemies. That's the entire loop. You don't kill every enemy in a zone and then go back and sweep everything you just walked past, or at least, you really don't need to. Is that why you took 30 hours..?

And what's Bayonetta got to do with anything? Does that game have a permadeath mode? It might, I don't know, but you already know you spend more time PLAYING Bayo than watching it. In all your posts you barely seem to recognise or acknowledge that I'm very specifically criticising a permadeath mode in TLOU2 because of the way the game works. I'm not criticising TLOU2, it's a modern Naughty Dog game which means most of the time you aren't at risk of losing the game. That's fine, and I would criticise a permadeath mode in Uncharted as well for the exact same reason.

Going to bed, this is such a futile effort.

I skipped a lot of looting during my first playthrough. Again, your argument is going nowhere.

lol

THEAP99

Banned
Fucking finally they update the game! This seems like a pretty great and heavy update as well! Though wtf is infinite crafting?

Permadeath mode is going to epic. This game is made for that kind of brutality, more than any other 3rd person survival horror game I've played in recent time.

They should put in a trophy for beating the game on grounded + permadeath, that's going to be the extreme challenge. Grounded is absolutely how the first game should've been played, no doubt grounded permadeath is how this game is meant to be played. If there's any game that needed permadeath, it was this one, by far.

They even added gyro aiming and infinite melee. TLOU2 is officially a sword game for me as I am going to kill everyone with a machete and it won't break.

Kudos to Naughty Dog for finally getting this update out.. Now i can play the game a few more times but with better justification this time as I've been wanting to play it again for the third time, but force myself not to cus i must finish boring backlog games.

Now, all we need is to get an update on how factions is or just fucking reveal the damn mode already! PS5 surprise launch title?! Yes, please!

Anyways, permadeath grounded is perfect for this extremely tense and brutal game. WOo

Justin9mm

So we can turn that horrible high film grain off?

Why TF did they make me play this through on Day 1 with it on! That pisses me off!

Last edited:

HawarMiran

Banned
Fucking finally they update the game! This seems like a pretty great and heavy update as well! Though wtf is infinite crafting?

Permadeath mode is going to epic. This game is made for that kind of brutality, more than any other 3rd person survival horror game I've played in recent time.

They should put in a trophy for beating the game on grounded + permadeath, that's going to be the extreme challenge. Grounded is absolutely how the first game should've been played, no doubt grounded permadeath is how this game is meant to be played. If there's any game that needed permadeath, it was this one, by far.

They even added gyro aiming and infinite melee. TLOU2 is officially a sword game for me as I am going to kill everyone with a machete and it won't break.

Kudos to Naughty Dog for finally getting this update out.. Now i can play the game a few more times but with better justification this time as I've been wanting to play it again for the third time, but force myself not to cus i must finish boring backlog games.

Now, all we need is to get an update on how factions is or just fucking reveal the damn mode already! PS5 surprise launch title?! Yes, please!

Anyways, permadeath grounded is perfect for this extremely tense and brutal game. WOo
No I don't like being fucked in my butthole

Dorohedoro

No I don't like being fucked in my butthole
don't_believe_his_lies_jpeg.jpg

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Ill play permadeath mode and have Abby get killed early in the game. Great ending.

For Joel.

Last edited:

tassletine

Sure, plenty of the sections that are mostly exploring contain enemies here and there. That doesn't make the entire section an encounter, and you know full well the walking around getting supplies is the bulk of the game, not just limited to a few sections. Not to mention once you've beaten the game you basically know where all the one-off encounters are anyway.

And it's a 30-40 hour game if you explore every last nook and cranny for trading cards or whatever, or if you're not great at it. More like 20 for the average person, certainly was for my playthrough. You ain't gonna do collectable runs in permadeath.

You can only skip the actual cutscenes, not the hours upon hours of pressing buttons with zero chance of failure to progress. You just admitted you wouldn't play it again for the story and yet you'd be forced into doing that to get to the meat anyway.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying games that are mostly about passively watching things play out, chill, I'm not attacking your precious masterpiece for that, I played it and enjoyed the combat sections somewhat. I'm saying that you spend significantly more time out of danger than you do in danger, which is why permadeath for a game like this is such a retarded concept. Imagine dying after 15 hours and having to rub up against furniture mashing triangle again for most of the replay. No thanks. Fortnite is maybe the worst example you could have come up with considering almost every minute of a Fortnite match is spent in some kind of danger. In TLOU2 it's the combat arenas and that's it.
I totally agree. There is a very good reason that checkpoints are extremely numerous. This is just a gimmick.

tassletine

That's not true.

Here's an example - Seattle Day 2

Beginning is a looting section.
After dropping down, you encounter the W.L.F and the rest of this video shows how frequently you're encounter enemies. Not a lot of looting until AFTER you clear the area.

Still, looting is completely optional

The next section is a flashback. You're shooting runners with Tommy and make your way through a hotel to clear out infected.

You continue the chapter in another area to find Nora.

The beginning has places to loot, but this time there are infected and human enemies. Large portion of this is you making your way through the building against stalkers.

You land in the water and make your way out of the sewers and that's when you first encounter the scars.

This is the entire E3 demo.

After that you're at the hospital. And we already know from the State of Play how that plays out.

This is entire Seattle Day 2 for Ellie.

It's a joke if you think if you spend most of your time walking and looting. lol

Try that for the Abby sections. I found walking round that fucking aquarium with Owen inexcusable the first time around So the idea of doing that again, even in easy mode puts me off. The criticism is valid — Check out this video — There’s barely any combat In an hour and a half. You would have to be a masochist of the highest order to want to sit through that boredom again.

AV

Yes, definitely a poor effort at trolling.

Lots of triggered fans, zero real refutation. It ain't a troll when (currently) most of the reactions to that post were in agreement. Feel free to disprove the theory.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Great stuff, this year's GOTY game got gotier....

OTOH

I wish the guys saying TLOU, GOW etc are all cutscenes. I wish to see these guys play on grounded or permadeath. Should be a walk in the park right, only cutscenes, should be a breeze right......Genuinely, I want to see these guys play those cutscene heavy games on the highest difficulty where all they do is watch movies....When you guys are ready to play, tag me let me know. I will watch the whole playthrough. I wan't to see these guys take on Sigrun in GOW and the enemies in LOU2 on perma.....Put your'll money where the mouth is, I wan't to see this...

Krisprolls

Banned
Lots of triggered fans, zero real refutation. It ain't a troll when (currently) most of the reactions to that post were in agreement. Feel free to disprove the theory.

So you're not going to bed ?

What you say is the usual trollish walking simulator crap, it has been answered a million times. I'm not triggered at all, it's just it was answered so many times.

It's a story, of course there are parts where people just walk with no danger and no fights. I don't see the problem playing permadeath on such game. If you enjoy the story (and here, there's every reason to enjoy it since it's really well written and well acted), then there's no problem doing it a few times more. Some people watched some movies a hundred times you know.

Last edited:

AV

So you're not going to bed ?

What you say is the usual trollish walking simulator crap, it has been answered a million times. I'm not triggered at all, it's just it was answered so many times.

It's a story, of course there are parts where people just walk with no danger and no fights. I don't see the problem playing permadeath on such game. If you enjoy the story (and here, there's every reason to enjoy it since it's really well written and well acted), then there's no problem doing it a few times more. Some people watched some movies a hundred times you know.

Yeah, I did go to bed 18 hours ago. How unsurprising it is that another person in this thread can't read. Probably why you all find the story so well-written, but that's another issue for threads we did to death weeks ago.

You act like I'm attacking your game for being a walking simulator, and once more, I'm not. I'm well aware there are plenty of combat segments in the game, I certainly died on a few of them. Many of them were quite fun! My entire argument is that permadeath in a game like this is retarded when you spend the majority of the game unable to lose it. How many times do I have to repeat that..?

I'm not trying to take it away from anyone, it's an opinion. If you wanna play permadeath, die after 15 hours, and then spend 3 more repeating the same mundane, unloseable segments before you get to anything challenging again, be my guest. Some people like cock and ball torture too, I'm not here to take that away from anyone, I'm just here to laugh at it.

Last edited:

Fbh

Cool update but I already sold the game and this probably wouldn't make me replay it even if I still had it.

tassletine

I don't need to. You should read what I already posted.
I did and your argument doesn’t make much sense, so I deliberately contrasted your ‘loads of enemies‘ example with one where there are hardly any, as surely those are the more problematic parts?
The game is full of forced non gameplay sections that would make gameplay a chore for any speed runner. The game is designed in such a way that a permadeath mode is unbelievably niche, almost redundant. Frankly I think it would be more sensible if they gave them some silly hats for them to wear or an option to remove the blood — Just a bit of levity to show that they‘re aware of how silly some of the game is.
But of course they’re not aware of that, so that won’t happen.

Ha. No way am I playing permadeath.

Abby: Hi! I'm continuing this whole cycle of revenge and have come to this theatre to kill you.

Ellie: LOL! Good luck with that.

Abby: I'm bigger and stronger than you, it'll be a piece of ca...

BLAM!

(me looking at death screen for the 11th time) Cheese and crackers, this is hard!

Valentino

80% is obviously an exaggeration, but feel free to prove me wrong that the MAJORITY of the time in TLOU2 is spent either walking around in no danger pressing triangle, or watching cutscenes. That's why permadeath is such a dumb idea for a game like this, you'd have to slog through so much shit to get back to the actual game every time.

Lol reach for the stars hun

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I did and your argument doesn’t make much sense, so I deliberately contrasted your ‘loads of enemies‘ example with one where there are hardly any, as surely those are the more problematic parts?
The game is full of forced non gameplay sections that would make gameplay a chore for any speed runner. The game is designed in such a way that a permadeath mode is unbelievably niche, almost redundant. Frankly I think it would be more sensible if they gave them some silly hats for them to wear or an option to remove the blood — Just a bit of levity to show that they‘re aware of how silly some of the game is.
But of course they’re not aware of that, so that won’t happen.

You didn't. You asked me to check out a section which I already mentioned.

Try that for the Abby sections. I found walking round that fucking aquarium with Owen inexcusable the first time around So the idea of doing that again, even in easy mode puts me off. The criticism is valid — Check out this video — There’s barely any combat In an hour and a half. You would have to be a masochist of the highest order to want to sit through that boredom again.

Now look a post I made earlier.

Most of the walking sections are in flashbacks and during the beginning of Day one of Seattle for both Ellie and Abby, which is only a small portion of a 30 hour game.

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
Naughty Blog Post Details.

Age-gated. Will update once I find one that doesn't have it.
=====================================================

Grounded Difficulty Returns, Plus New Permadeath Mode

For veteran The Last of Us fans, Grounded difficulty represents the ultimate test of skill. This difficulty raises the stakes by not only making enemies deadlier and ammo, upgrade, and crafting materials incredibly scarce, but also removing invaluable tools for survival, such as disabling Listen mode, deactivating elements of the HUD, and more**. Beginning with the update, Grounded will become one of the base difficulty options available when starting the story, so you won’t need to have beaten the game once already to access it.

As an additional layer of challenge, we’re also introducing a brand new Permadeath mode***. With this custom mode enabled, there are no second chances--you must complete the entire game without dying or start over from the beginning. However, if taking on the whole game is too daunting, you can choose to enable Permadeath mode with checkpoints on a per-chapter or per-act basis. In other words, if you die at the end of Day One, you’ll have to play the entire day over again.

You’ll also be rewarded for your efforts. The Grounded update introduces two new Trophies: one for completing the game with any Permadeath mode enabled and another for beating it on Grounded difficulty. Don’t worry, though, neither of these Trophies will be required in order to earn the Platinum.

New Graphics, Audio, and Gameplay Modifiers

Have you ever wondered what The Last of Us Part II would look like as a cel-shaded adventure or if it was made in the retro 8-bit era? How about if it was a black and white noir thriller or sepia-toned classic? With this week’s update, we’re adding nearly 30 new graphics rendering modes, as well as several new audio modifiers that allow you to change the look and feel of the game.

We’re also debuting new unlockable gameplay modifiers, like One Shot or Touch of Death that enable one-hit kills or Infinite Ammo, Infinite Crafting, or Infinite Listen Mode Range to add a new twist to gameplay:
  • Mirror World
  • Mirror on Death
  • Slow Motion
  • Bullet Speed Mode
  • Infinite Ammo
  • Infinite Crafting
  • Infinite Melee Durability
  • Infinite Listen Mode Range
  • One Shot
  • Touch of Death
  • 8-bit Audio
  • 4-bit Audio
  • Helium Audio
  • Xenon Audio
  • Saves now display playtime up to the second
  • Film Grain Adjustment option
  • Disable Listen Mode option
  • Motion Sensor Function Aiming option
  • Arc Throw HUD Display option
  • Aiming Acceleration Scale option
  • Aiming Ramp Power Scale option
  • Accessibility improvements to Ground Zero encounter, collectible tracking, Enhanced Listen Mode for collectibles, and rope gameplay
All of these modifiers can be accessed via the Extras menu and unlocked after completing the game.

New Options and Improvements

Alongside these new modes, we’re excited to introduce a number of frequently requested improvements to the game, including the option to disable Listen Mode, adjust Film Grain levels, additional display options, improvements to accessibility features, and more. For our friends in the speedrunning community, we’re also adding the ability to see playtime up to the second in the saves menu, making it easier to track and verify your runs.

Too late. Not wasting more lifetime on this

Jokerevo

Banned
Permadeath mode in a game like TLOU2 which is 80% cutscenes and walking around pressing triangle sounds like a living fucking nightmare. I can't think of a worse possible application of the idea.

It's optional...especially for pussies.....who have the memory of a Phil Spencer.

Biff

I hope to God they didn't allocate 1 minute away from Factions development time for these damn filters.

Who gives a fuck? Like 0.1% of the TLOU playerbase?

Where are Factions dammit! Still salty it didn't ship with the game. Ridiculous.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I hope to God they didn't allocate 1 minute away from Factions development time for these damn filters.

Who gives a fuck? Like 0.1% of the TLOU playerbase?

Where are Factions dammit! Still salty it didn't ship with the game. Ridiculous.

Should be announced soon. Leaks suggest that it's regular factions and maybe some BR mode.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Permadeath is an absurd gameplay challenge, because it's virtually insurmountable, especially on the harder difficulties such as Survivor and Grounded.

Top Bottom