• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II Grounded Mode Trailer/Details. Free Game Update 08/13/2020.

Will you replay it on grounded mode?

• Total voters
Naughty Blog Post Details.

Age-gated. Will update once I find one that doesn't have it.
=====================================================

Grounded Difficulty Returns, Plus New Permadeath Mode

For veteran The Last of Us fans, Grounded difficulty represents the ultimate test of skill. This difficulty raises the stakes by not only making enemies deadlier and ammo, upgrade, and crafting materials incredibly scarce, but also removing invaluable tools for survival, such as disabling Listen mode, deactivating elements of the HUD, and more**. Beginning with the update, Grounded will become one of the base difficulty options available when starting the story, so you won’t need to have beaten the game once already to access it.

As an additional layer of challenge, we’re also introducing a brand new Permadeath mode***. With this custom mode enabled, there are no second chances--you must complete the entire game without dying or start over from the beginning. However, if taking on the whole game is too daunting, you can choose to enable Permadeath mode with checkpoints on a per-chapter or per-act basis. In other words, if you die at the end of Day One, you’ll have to play the entire day over again.

You’ll also be rewarded for your efforts. The Grounded update introduces two new Trophies: one for completing the game with any Permadeath mode enabled and another for beating it on Grounded difficulty. Don’t worry, though, neither of these Trophies will be required in order to earn the Platinum.

New Graphics, Audio, and Gameplay Modifiers

Have you ever wondered what The Last of Us Part II would look like as a cel-shaded adventure or if it was made in the retro 8-bit era? How about if it was a black and white noir thriller or sepia-toned classic? With this week’s update, we’re adding nearly 30 new graphics rendering modes, as well as several new audio modifiers that allow you to change the look and feel of the game.

We’re also debuting new unlockable gameplay modifiers, like One Shot or Touch of Death that enable one-hit kills or Infinite Ammo, Infinite Crafting, or Infinite Listen Mode Range to add a new twist to gameplay:
  • Mirror World
  • Mirror on Death
  • Slow Motion
  • Bullet Speed Mode
  • Infinite Ammo
  • Infinite Crafting
  • Infinite Melee Durability
  • Infinite Listen Mode Range
  • One Shot
  • Touch of Death
  • 8-bit Audio
  • 4-bit Audio
  • Helium Audio
  • Xenon Audio
  • Saves now display playtime up to the second
  • Film Grain Adjustment option
  • Disable Listen Mode option
  • Motion Sensor Function Aiming option
  • Arc Throw HUD Display option
  • Aiming Acceleration Scale option
  • Aiming Ramp Power Scale option
  • Accessibility improvements to Ground Zero encounter, collectible tracking, Enhanced Listen Mode for collectibles, and rope gameplay
All of these modifiers can be accessed via the Extras menu and unlocked after completing the game.

New Options and Improvements

Alongside these new modes, we’re excited to introduce a number of frequently requested improvements to the game, including the option to disable Listen Mode, adjust Film Grain levels, additional display options, improvements to accessibility features, and more. For our friends in the speedrunning community, we’re also adding the ability to see playtime up to the second in the saves menu, making it easier to track and verify your runs.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Permadeath mode in a game like TLOU2 which is 80% cutscenes and walking around pressing triangle sounds like a living fucking nightmare. I can't think of a worse possible application of the idea.

Aion002

That's soooo cool!

collectible tracking, Enhanced Listen Mode for collectibles

610f3a1552274be3-.gif

I can plat it now!!!

Kuranghi

Aww man, this is exactly what I wanted to make the encounters fun for me!

Infinite everything will make the game so fun, gonna blow the shit out of everything with explosive arrows ha.

Gotta wait for a sale now, come onnnnnnn "reduced to £15" sale.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Stop pulling numbers out of your ass. 80% cutscenes..... :messenger_poop:

Quote me if you're talking to me and read the full sentence, retard. 80% cutscenes and walking around and pressing triangle. Obviously 80% is likely an exaggeration but if you added up the time spent in danger of losing that game compared to time spent otherwise, it isn't even close. Permadeath is just a horrible idea for a game like that.

Kuranghi

What is bullet speed mode?

"Bullet Speed" means the game only goes into slow motion when you aim your weapon, as opposed to all the time with the "slow motion" modifier, source is I'm replaying Uncharted 4 just now and its in that.

Its fucking great fun in UC4 so can't wait to try it here, hopefully there will be a good reduction by the time PS5 is out.

Bartski

Gold Member
"Bullet Speed" means the game only goes into slow motion when you aim your weapon, as opposed to all the time with the "slow motion" modifier, source is I'm replaying Uncharted 4 just now and its in that.

Its fucking great fun in UC4 so can't wait to try it here, hopefully there will be a good reduction by the time PS5 is out.

it's been in the game from day one, both toggle as on aim. This must be sth else

HawarMiran

Banned
Quote me if you're talking to me and read the full sentence, retard. 80% cutscenes and walking around and pressing triangle. Obviously 80% is likely an exaggeration but if you added up the time spent in danger of losing that game compared to time spent otherwise, it isn't even close. Permadeath is just a horrible idea for a game like that.
I sensed that you are a sensitive little bitch. You have proven me right

Dorohedoro

That's soooo cool!

610f3a1552274be3-.gif

I can plat it now!!!
Same. ELM was already a thing prior to the update even though I heard it didn't detect certain ones that were really hidden so you still needed a guide, which is why I haven't bothered. But since they've supposedly improved it, guessing it means every single collectible should be detected now, no problem, which would be great.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Going with the most difficult mode possible for enemy behavior but with systemic aid enabled is imo the most exciting way to play this game.

It's not really difficult this way, just makes you constantly pulling off rather spectacular shit on screen and that just makes it so much fun if mixed with the notion of one false move and you're dead.

If this update it comes with the option to disable this horrible additional reticle that comes with lock-on, I'm in for the 3rd playthrough immediately when it's out.

Umbral

Oh, I see. I bet Remedy or Rockstar owns “Bullet Time”. That explains it. Thanks.

Brian Jensen

Neo Member
This sounds awesome, especially with the added features of infinite ammo and crafting. I’m probably not gonna play permadeath, but this does sound great for a hardcore gamer that wants to try it.

AV

Weak try thts so 90s 😂😂😂

80% is obviously an exaggeration, but feel free to prove me wrong that the MAJORITY of the time in TLOU2 is spent either walking around in no danger pressing triangle, or watching cutscenes. That's why permadeath is such a dumb idea for a game like this, you'd have to slog through so much shit to get back to the actual game every time.

carlosrox

Banned
Oh my these additions sound very cool.

Gyro and Film Grain options!

I beat 1 on Grounded and the game was hilariously cheap/straight up broken in some sections.

Hopefully 2 doesn't feel as cheap on Grounded. I do wanna try it at some point. Perhaps my third plauthrough will be on Grounded.

Permadeath sounds psychotic. Especially if we are talking Survivor or Grounded. What a nightmare that would be. That's some Doom 2016 level of savant bullshit.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
80% is obviously an exaggeration, but feel free to prove me wrong that the MAJORITY of the time in TLOU2 is spent either walking around in no danger pressing triangle, or watching cutscenes. That's why permadeath is such a dumb idea for a game like this, you'd have to slog through so much shit to get back to the actual game every time.
Majority of the sections you're in either has infected or human emeines.

Most of the walking sections are in flashbacks and during the beginning of Day one of Seattle for both Ellie and Abby, which is only a small portion of a 30 hour game.

Spending the majority of the time either walking or pressing triangle is a lie. lol

youre 99% full of shit.... MAJORLY full of shit. Why would some watch the cutscenes again? Fornite is constantly pressing one button to get material, one life.. and “wAlKiNg”. Why m I feeding the troll.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Finaly fuck that film grain, soo glad i didn't finish it yet with that ugly film grain. On my oled it looks soo shit.

AV

Majority of the sections you're in either has infected or human emeines.

Most of the walking sections are in flashbacks and during the beginning of Day one of Seattle for both Ellie and Abby, which is only a small portion of a 30 hour game.

Spending the majority of the time either walking or pressing triangle is a lie. lol

Sure, plenty of the sections that are mostly exploring contain enemies here and there. That doesn't make the entire section an encounter, and you know full well the walking around getting supplies is the bulk of the game, not just limited to a few sections. Not to mention once you've beaten the game you basically know where all the one-off encounters are anyway.

And it's a 30-40 hour game if you explore every last nook and cranny for trading cards or whatever, or if you're not great at it. More like 20 for the average person, certainly was for my playthrough. You ain't gonna do collectable runs in permadeath.

youre 99% full of shit.... MAJORLY full of shit. Why would some watch the cutscenes again? Fornite is constantly pressing one button to get material, one life.. and “wAlKiNg”. Why m I feeding the troll.

You can only skip the actual cutscenes, not the hours upon hours of pressing buttons with zero chance of failure to progress. You just admitted you wouldn't play it again for the story and yet you'd be forced into doing that to get to the meat anyway.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying games that are mostly about passively watching things play out, chill, I'm not attacking your precious masterpiece for that, I played it and enjoyed the combat sections somewhat. I'm saying that you spend significantly more time out of danger than you do in danger, which is why permadeath for a game like this is such a retarded concept. Imagine dying after 15 hours and having to rub up against furniture mashing triangle again for most of the replay. No thanks. Fortnite is maybe the worst example you could have come up with considering almost every minute of a Fortnite match is spent in some kind of danger. In TLOU2 it's the combat arenas and that's it.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Sure, plenty of the sections that are mostly exploring contain enemies here and there. That doesn't make the entire section an encounter, and you know full well the walking around getting supplies is the bulk of the game, not just limited to a few sections. Not to mention once you've beaten the game you basically know where all the one-off encounters are anyway.

And it's a 30-40 hour game if you explore every last nook and cranny for trading cards or whatever, or if you're not great at it. More like 20 for the average person, certainly was for my playthrough. You ain't gonna do collectable runs in permadeath.

That's not true.

Here's an example - Seattle Day 2

Beginning is a looting section.
After dropping down, you encounter the W.L.F and the rest of this video shows how frequently you're encounter enemies. Not a lot of looting until AFTER you clear the area.

Still, looting is completely optional

The next section is a flashback. You're shooting runners with Tommy and make your way through a hotel to clear out infected.

You continue the chapter in another area to find Nora.

The beginning has places to loot, but this time there are infected and human enemies. Large portion of this is you making your way through the building against stalkers.

You land in the water and make your way out of the sewers and that's when you first encounter the scars.

This is the entire E3 demo.

After that you're at the hospital. And we already know from the State of Play how that plays out.

This is entire Seattle Day 2 for Ellie.

It's a joke if you think if you spend most of your time walking and looting. lol

AV

That's not true.
Here's an example - Seattle Day 2
Beginning is a looting section.
After dropping down, you encounter the W.L.F and the rest of this video shows how frequently you're encounter enemies. Not a lot of looting until AFTER you clear the area.
Still, looting is completely optional

Even in your own example, which conveniently includes a nice chunk of gameplay at the end rather than an example with extended non-gameplay, but that's fine, it's still true. Skim through the video and give it a rough count as to how long the player is actually in danger of dying, and how long they spend walking around picking things up or pushing dumpsters. I did, because apparently I had nothing better to do for 20 minutes and wanted to see how close I was out of curiosity. Know what I got? Around about 52 minutes of in-danger gameplay in that 1hr45m video. That's half, and even if I was way off, that's including the whole time spent redoing sections where they died, which guess what - you won't be able to do in permadeath mode. Know what you will redo, every single time you try? The non-combat sections.

Shit, you can even take the next 40 minutes you mentioned from the same playthrough for an easier example. 20 minutes before they open the door to combat which lasts less than 2 minutes before more looting, back to more combat, more deaths that wouldn't happen in permadeath mode, a nice boss fight and then 10 minutes of walking around. So what, less than a quarter of that video spent in peril..?

I'll say for the third (?) time that 80% was just an exaggeration, but I'd bet good money that if you actually went and tallied the total time you were actually playing with a chance of losing the game VS just walking around, looting with no consequence and watching things play out, you'd easily spend more doing the latter. It's just what The Last of Us is in nature and it's not a fault with the game, I'm just making the case that permadeath in a game like this is a horrible idea. Maybe if you spent closer to 30 hours playing it your experience was very different than mine. My playthrough was absolutely more filler than killer and the problem with permadeath is that you will always spend more time doing unloseable shit, because you can't possible retry the actual game parts and you have no choice but to replay the parts you can't lose.

Last edited:
Top Bottom