• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part I - PS5 - Coming September 2 (PC version in development)

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
huh?
This is a TLOU remake. The original game had its cutscenes 100% pre-rendered. We're now watching comparisons between pre-rendered cutscenes that aren't even close to the original gameplay fidelity vs realtime rendered cutscenes.

The comparison will be much bigger once its all gameplay vs gameplay.
Im not comparing it to the original remaster. Im talking about the PS4 to PS5 upgrades. Read my original post again.

Lokaum D+

Do you know what a 55 year old look like?
People are overreacting again lol.
Jennifer-Aniston.jpg

Sandra-Bullock.jpg

I dont know what kind of 55 years old woman do u know, but nowadays any 50+ can look good as their younger selves or even better, just dont smoke crack like Tess did on the Remake.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
Last edited:
Jennifer-Aniston.jpg

Sandra-Bullock.jpg

I dont know what kind of 55 years old woman do u know, but nowadays any 50+ can look good as their younger selves or even better, just dont smoke crack like Tess did on the Remake.
Wait...you're proving us Tess is looking bad for a woman in her 50's in a post-apocalyptic world fighting for survival most of her life by...using Hollywood stars that same age that have access to all doctors, plastic surgeons, skin care and not a worry in the world? Not even regular woman with regular jobs in our current world look like that usually dude.

This is proof you guys need to leave your basements sometimes. You wanna know what trauma looks like in the real world?

thequint%2F2016-10%2Fadb41049-d6d3-4a81-ab2b-b399680af68c%2FUntitled%20design.jpg

Not even 20 years separate both these pictures. She's early to mid 30's on the right picture. Imagine how this woman would look like in her 50's.

Your post is looking like TLOU version of this:

horizon-forbidden-west-ps5-playstation-5-2.900x.jpg

The remake version of Tess is looking much closer to an actual woman that has lived a life of trauma, war, survival, starvation, etc...than the original game, when we still didn't have realistic characters in games. This is a woman that needs to go to lines for rations, not someone that left a beauty contest with a few cuts on her face, lmao.

Heylon

Some serious micro-soft-cheese-dick energy going on in this thread over "muh video game character isn't attractive anymore!" especially over Ellie, like WTF?! SHE'S A LITTLE GIRL, YOU CREEPY DWEEB FUCKS!
I think that’s the exact problem. The new character model for Ellie doesn’t look like a little vulnerable girl anymore, which changes the feel and dynamic of their journey through Part 1 quite a bit. You aren’t left with the same urgency and need to protect her anymore as she now comes off as a more stern, slightly older teenager with less emotion. Take a look at the comparison of the scene where Ellie gets to handle a rifle and cover Joel for the first time. The old character model is clearly less detailed, yet shows more emotion and innocence while the new model looks kinda dead inside, like she’s trying really hard to keep a fart in check. If you go through the comparison pics, you’re likely to sense a pattern.

The Fartist

Gold Member
I think that’s the exact problem. The new character model for Ellie doesn’t look like a little vulnerable girl anymore, which changes the feel and dynamic of their journey through Part 1 quite a bit. You aren’t left with the same urgency and need to protect her anymore as she now comes off as a more stern, slightly older teenager with less emotion. Take a look at the comparison of the scene where Ellie gets to handle a rifle and cover Joel for the first time. The old character model is clearly less detailed, yet shows more emotion and innocence while the new model looks kinda dead inside, like she’s trying really hard to keep a fart in check. If you go through the comparison pics, you’re likely to sense a pattern.
My emphasized argument was that some creeps in here think Ellie, who's a little girl, has been made less attractive. The fact that they think she was attractive in the first place is what bothers me. I see your point about her looking less vulnerable, though, that's just not what some creeps in here are complaining about. As for showing less emotion, I think anyone growing up in the environment and setting the game portrays is bound to show less emotion and be a little dead inside, no matter the age.

Haggard

Banned
Jennifer-Aniston.jpg

Sandra-Bullock.jpg

kinda doubt that you have access to several pounds of make up, plastic surgeons, botox therapies and photoshop after the apocalypse.

Seriously...leave your house sometimes.........

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
kinda doubt that you have access to several pounds of make up, plastic surgeons, botox therapies and photoshop after the apocalypse.

Seriously...leave your house sometimes.........
My immediate thoughts, exactly. It sounds like he lives in the same bubble these actresses live in, minus the fame, money, and botox/plastic surgery, of course.

Last edited:

SpokkX

I will only get tgis if they actually create new gameplay scenarios and levels of the size if tlou2. Tlou 1 is CRAMPED and really small in scope

I hope the new ps5 version has been remade in a big way gameplay wise too.. tlou1 is a veru simple game with no crawling etc either

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Discussions about this series always devolve into the most juvenile shit because people can’t resist taking the lazy bait.

DavidGzz

Even those Hollywood actresses look worlds different upon waking, with no makeup. Silly kids. You can look pretty young if you take care of yourself. I doubt Tess has access to all essential vitamins, 6-8 hours of sleep, and a gym in an apocalyptic world. She looks pretty damn realistic.

Matsuchezz

So if anyone hasn't played the first Last of Us, I think you'd be better off buying the PS4 Remastered version and playing it for a fraction of the $70 cost being asked for the remake. The original PS4 version runs at 4K/60 and still looks respectable

why would anyone like to play the inferior version if they have not played it before. we are playing video games and we want the best graphical fidelity out there in or consoles. That makes no sense unless there was a half assed ps5 seres S hw. That could not run the Ps5 version only then I would choose the remastered version.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
why would anyone like to play the inferior version if they have not played it before. we are playing video games and we want the best graphical fidelity out there in or consoles. That makes no sense unless there was a half assed ps5 seres S hw. That could not run the Ps5 version only then I would choose the remastered version.
Because the Remastered PS4 version can he had for under $10, genius. It still holds up reasonably well visually.
fe0.gif

Last edited:

EDMIX

those are the same people telling games to play those old NES games instead of the 4K remake, be like "dat is were da real charm iz der BROZ" lol

All it this is just gatekeeping and some fanfiction shit of people trying to make it sound like you NEED to play this version or that version. I just don't know that the majority of the gaming community historically favors the inferior versions of stuff like this.

JohnnyFootball JohnnyFootball Thats nice. You can have lots of games for cheap that are old, that doesn't mean most will care, favor them etc. Thats like fucking telling someone Demon Souls used cost this much or hey everyone Dead Space used only cost this much omgz bbq yeaaaa just play that and all is well.

Who the fuck is really doing that though? I just don't know the community to really give a fuck about old games that way man, they want new, better tech, better gameplay and will simply favor the new one.

I mean, no need for a remake right bro? /s

Last edited:
Because the Remastered PS4 version can he had for under $10, genius and still holds up reasonably well visually.

Yeah...no. This is one of the few actual gameplay comparisons we have so far btw.
Why would anyone spend 10$ in 2022 for the remastered when the new one is just going to be out? They can wait for the remake to be discounted since clearly they are in no rush to play this, lol.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
those are the same people telling games to play those old NES games instead of the 4K remake, be like "dat is were da real charm iz der BROZ" lol

All it this is just gatekeeping and some fanfiction shit of people trying to make it sound like you NEED to play this version or that version. I just don't know that the majority of the gaming community historically favors the inferior versions of stuff like this.
In most instances, I would agree with playing the newer version. But this is one of those instances where the original PS4 version still holds up visually and performance-wise. Not to mention can also run on a PS5 at 4K/60. If the PS4 version didn't exist and we were stuck with the PS3 version, then I would absolutely be in favor of the remake.

But the argument is spend $70 for a damn good game OR spend less than $20 for an experience that is likely to be pretty close to the PS4 version.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Yeah...no. This is one of the few actual gameplay comparisons we have so far btw.
Why would anyone spend 10$ in 2022 for the remastered when the new one is just going to be out? They can wait for the remake to be discounted since clearly they are in no rush to play this, lol.

My opinion still stands. The PS4 version still looks damn good. Nowhere, not once, did I try to claim it looked as good as the upcoming remake. Nowhere.
Spend the $70 if you want if you know its something you want and will play. If you are unsure then its just a suggestion to check out the PS4 version.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

JohnnyFootball JohnnyFootball Thats nice. You can have lots of games for cheap that are old, that doesn't mean most will care, favor them etc. Thats like fucking telling someone Demon Souls used cost this much or hey everyone Dead Space used only cost this much omgz bbq yeaaaa just play that and all is well.

Who the fuck is really doing that though? I just don't know the community to really give a fuck about old games that way man, they want new, better tech, better gameplay and will simply favor the new one.

I mean, no need for a remake right bro? /s

giphy.gif

First off, Demons Souls was ONLY playable on a PS3 and is unplayable on a PS4/PS5. The remastered version of Last of Us PS4 is playable on a PS5. It requires absolutely no new hardware. Not to mention that Demons Souls is a drastically more substantial remake than the Last of Us will be, despite what many are dead set on trying to convince you of. Im sure the remake will look breathtaking. It's something I will playu eventually, but not on launch. Maybe when it gets to $20

EDMIX

the original PS4 version still holds up visually and performance-wise. Not to mention can also run on a PS5 at 4K/60.

Thats nice.

Lots of games can "hold up", but this isn't 2013 anymore man. Did the AI magically improve if played on PS5? Is playing it on PS5 making the physics better and giving new character models or?

But the argument is spend $70 for a damn good game OR spend less than $20 for an experience that is likely to be pretty close to the PS4 version.

You can just wait for a sale or buy it used then. I see no reason for anyone to play the inferior version to get "pretty close". Playing the remaster version on PS5 isn't going to make the game get better gameplay, better AI or character models or new lighting system or make the gameplay go beyond the CGI of the original.

Just cause the game can run on PS5, doesn't mean anyone should be seeing it as some 1.1 comparable thing lol The remake vs original should be treated like any other remake vs original conversation. The option of playing it is nice, if someone has the money they 100% should play the remake and then part 2 in order and they love the IP THAT much, play the remaster after etc. I suggested the same thing with RE2. Doesn't matter that THINK it holds up well, doesn't matter that I play it often and feel people can have no issue playing it, its simply too old and the remake makes more sense to recommend for gamers and I just tell them if they love the remake, check out the original. But I'd argue MOST times thats what I usually say. As much as I love The Last Of Us 1, the game had too many gameplay problems, issues, bad IP to really be fucking recommending a game almost 10 years old to modern gamers.

If I want to get someone into this series, I just can't send them down the river like that based on what I fucking experienced almost 10 years ago...this isn't 2013 or 2014 anymore and my view must reflect that when I honestly stack up both games for a recommendation to someone. Have them play a dated game with bad controls based on what I liked back then? smh. I never let what I personally love, get in the way of a lot of this and its why many times you might see me write how much I like this or that, yet recommend something different for someone else. Its cause i can't force what I experienced on to someone else. Me playing Xenosaga 3 on PS2, doesn't mean that shit holds up and THATS how I'd fucking have the series represented, fuck no lol Remake 1 and 2 etc its how I felt with Yakuza, I would go back and play the first 2 games on PS2 often and when the remake came out, got them day 1 and loved em and would NEVER be like "holds up well broz" as just cause I like em, can play them on PS2, don't mind them on PS2....sir, we are not like everyone else and I'd argue us even talking on a gaming thread shows we are simply not like most. So i try my best to give a view that isn't 100% solely based on what I favor personally from a fandom standpoint.

and what ChiefDada ChiefDada is saying is that The Last Of Us 1 is just as much as a PS4 game as The Last Of Us 2 is a PS5 game.....using this logic Uncharted 1,2 and 3 are PS4 games.....

So I see what he means and he is correct, its very much a PS3 game, having better resolution on PS4 is not magically making it a PS4 game, thats like saying that FFVII HD port is a "PS4" game.

The rest of the nonesense that you are on with Demon Souls litearlly proves that you believe the game not being able to be played or something on a system is why a remake is happening or some shit lol Demon Souls even uses the original code for movement where The Last Of Us 1 remake's gameplay is based on 2, as in its more substantial remake by default.

So your whole argument is simply it appeared somewhere so how dare they have it remade somewhere else lol This is just a silly take man. You not being able to play Demon Souls on PS4, doesn't change that it was remade on PS5 and originally released on PS3.

The Last Of Us 1 was made on PS3
Remade on PS5.

....thats it. Have a good one.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Thats nice.

Lots of games can "hold up", but this isn't 2013 anymore man. Did the AI magically improve if played on PS5? Is playing it on PS5 making the physics better and giving new character models or?

You can just wait for a sale or buy it used then. I see no reason for anyone to play the inferior version to get "pretty close". Playing the remaster version on PS5 isn't going to make the game get better gameplay, better AI or character models or new lighting system or make the gameplay go beyond the CGI of the original.

Just cause the game can run on PS5, doesn't mean anyone should be seeing it as some 1.1 comparable thing lol The remake vs original should be treated like any other remake vs original conversation. The option of playing it is nice, if someone has the money they 100% should play the remake and then part 2 in order and they love the IP THAT much, play the remaster after etc. I suggested the same thing with RE2. Doesn't matter that THINK it holds up well, doesn't matter that I play it often and feel people can have no issue playing it, its simply too old and the remake makes more sense to recommend for gamers and I just tell them if they love the remake, check out the original. But I'd argue MOST times thats what I usually say. As much as I love The Last Of Us 1, the game had too many gameplay problems, issues, bad IP to really be fucking recommending a game almost 10 years old to modern gamers.

If I want to get someone into this series, I just can't send them down the river like that based on what I fucking experienced almost 10 years ago...this isn't 2013 or 2014 anymore and my view must reflect that when I honestly stack up both games for a recommendation to someone. Have them play a dated game with bad controls based on what I liked back then? smh. I never let what I personally love, get in the way of a lot of this and its why many times you might see me write how much I like this or that, yet recommend something different for someone else. Its cause i can't force what I experienced on to someone else. Me playing Xenosaga 3 on PS2, doesn't mean that shit holds up and THATS how I'd fucking have the series represented, fuck no lol Remake 1 and 2 etc its how I felt with Yakuza, I would go back and play the first 2 games on PS2 often and when the remake came out, got them day 1 and loved em and would NEVER be like "holds up well broz" as just cause I like em, can play them on PS2, don't mind them on PS2....sir, we are not like everyone else and I'd argue us even talking on a gaming thread shows we are simply not like most. So i try my best to give a view that isn't 100% solely based on what I favor personally from a fandom standpoint.
Dude, I don't even understand what the fuck you are arguing with me about. It seems like you are butthurt that I am not wholeheartedly recommending people go out and pay $70 over a less than $20 version that is perfectly playable on a PS5.

For someone who has never played the Last of Us but owns a PS5, there is NOTHING wrong with suggesting that they check out the cheaper version. Nothing. Heck you get it for dirt cheap used at Gamestop, play it and then return it within the window for free.
A suggestion is just that, a suggestion.

EDMIX

For someone who has never played the Last of Us but owns a PS5, there is NOTHING wrong with suggesting that they che

Yea..I'd some something sounds a bit off on suggesting to check out a game you never played before. lol Soooooooo as someone that has played The original and its port, I can't use my fandom to suggest they play an inferior version, you not playing that shit means you don't even know the fucking game's issues, yet you are suggesting based on...what? "perfectly playable"? lol Sir, it can play on PS3, PS4 and PS5, that doesn't mean its without issue in regards to gameplay or design or AI, but fuck...you would know that if you actually played it.

You are saying this like it can WORK, as in it runs, as if it will play fine.....that doesn't mean that its without fault. The game imho is a great game, but its not immune to time or dated tech man, it wasn't made out of magic. Its AI is busted and archaic, its movement is clunky and the models very much look like PS3 models of the time, even for the best character models of that generation. So with me actually playing the game over a dozen times, that doesn't mean I'd tell them to play the worst version.

The Last Of Us 2 improved the AI, gameplay, movement, physics in the world, character models etc to the point where how much I like a game 10 year ago, isn't fucking magically making the game do all that shit JUST cause you are running it from a PS5.

My first experience with that game was from 2013 and even then that was shit for AI, I gave it a pass cause the narrative, story and world is sooooo great, but for me to recommend someone play it for the first time, I want them playing the very best, latest and greatest that gaming has to offer. As someone that PLAYED the game sir, I don't see any area that the original would beat the remake, as I don't see any area of the game solely from 1 that beats 2. (ignoring subjective story)

It's interesting that this forum has loads of people celebrating when one version of a game runs better/holds framerate better than the competing console. Or has better graphics settings/visual fidelity than a competing console

But we're getting bent out of shape when a superior version of a game is being released??

Like, I'd be annoyed if Sony removed the original TLOU or TLOU:Remastered from the store and forced you to play the Remake but that isn't happening. All we have now are more choices to play.

🤷‍♂️ Play it on PS3 if you want, but why be a wet blanket when there are people genuinely excited to play this for the first time - or again - at the best settings offered on PS5?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yea..I'd some something sounds a bit off on suggesting to check out a game you never played before. lol Soooooooo as someone that has played The original and its port, I can't use my fandom to suggest they play an inferior version, you not playing that shit means you don't even know the fucking game's issues, yet you are suggesting based on...what? "perfectly playable"? lol Sir, it can play on PS3, PS4 and PS5, that doesn't mean its without issue in regards to gameplay or design or AI, but fuck...you would know that if you actually played it.

You are saying this like it can WORK, as in it runs, as if it will play fine.....that doesn't mean that its without fault. The game imho is a great game, but its not immune to time or dated tech man, it wasn't made out of magic. Its AI is busted and archaic, its movement is clunky and the models very much look like PS3 models of the time, even for the best character models of that generation. So with me actually playing the game over a dozen times, that doesn't mean I'd tell them to play the worst version.

The Last Of Us 2 improved the AI, gameplay, movement, physics in the world, character models etc to the point where how much I like a game 10 year ago, isn't fucking magically making the game do all that shit JUST cause you are running it from a PS5.

My first experience with that game was from 2013 and even then that was shit for AI, I gave it a pass cause the narrative, story and world is sooooo great, but for me to recommend someone play it for the first time, I want them playing the very best, latest and greatest that gaming has to offer. As someone that PLAYED the game sir, I don't see any area that the original would beat the remake, as I don't see any area of the game solely from 1 that beats 2. (ignoring subjective story)
OK, we will leave it at that. Good day my friend.

Top Bottom