• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part I - PS5 - Coming September 2 (PC version in development)

ParaSeoul

I had the high quality version of the trailer downloaded so I tried taking a few screenshots of what I thought looked like a good way of showing the improvements that weren't already posted.

UwB2O9T.png

UDZyydg.png
PbOJNf7.png

Qf0tiLh.png

yurznPu.png

83fD74w.png
y5De6fT.png
imkr126.png
does gaf not allow files over 8 mb?
yPAmVuW.jpg

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don’t know what they were thinking here. The right is not someone who is 14.

A child’s face is not nearly so filled out, their features are not so matured, their eyes are oval, and she also has a look of veterancy and experience in her expression that makes no sense considering she has lived in the relatively sheltered seclusion of the quarantine zone her whole life. She looks like she’s in her very late teens to early twenties, and even then, the years have not been kind.

At least as this is coming to the PC, hopefully mods will bring back the originals and polish them up to par.
Have you seen 14yo girls?! They can look downright 20 sometimes lol.
Ellie in original game never looked 14. She looked... 8

kyliethicc

Hard disagree, too cynical.

If ND has chosen to label the remake as PS5 only, built from ground up and using latest ps5 tech, then it's completely reasonable for myself and others to expect a generational leap in comparison to TLOU2.
It’s a pointless term. It’s totally arbitrary. TLOU remastered on PS4 was a “generational leap” from TLOU on PS3. Higher res, 60 FPS, etc. PS3 couldn’t run that game at the fidelity and framerate. Same thing here. It’s a PS5 game. PS3/PS4 can’t run this game at the same fidelity and framerate, doesn’t have DualSense, fast loading, etc.

Its reasonable to expect a remake of Part 1 using the Part 2 engine to look like the Part 2 engine running on PS5.

And it does.

Makes sense but what doesn't make sense is why no PS4 version then? Everything shown can be done on PS4.
Probably simply for business and marketing.

No point in making a PS4 version. That’s what TLOU remastered was for.

Why is Death Stranding Director’s Cut only on PS5?

Why is any game only on PS5 and not PS4? Because that’s what they chose.

I don’t see knack in your avatars anymore. What’s going on?
Problem solved, just forgot to lol

Last edited:

tommib

It’s a pointless term. It’s totally arbitrary. TLOU remastered on PS4 was a “generational leap” from TLOU on PS3. Higher res, 60 FPS, etc. PS3 couldn’t run that game at the fidelity and framerate. Same thing here. It’s a PS5 game. PS3/PS4 can’t run this game at the same fidelity and framerate, doesn’t have DualSense, fast loading, etc.

Its reasonable to expect a remake of Part 1 using the Part 2 engine to look like the Part 2 engine running on PS5.

And it does.

No point in making a PS4 version. That’s what TLOU remaster was for.

Why is the Death Stranding Director’s Cut only on PS5?

Why is any game only on PS5 and not PS4? Because that’s what chose.
I don’t see knack in your avatars anymore. What’s going on?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol no it wasnt a generational leap. TLOU2 was a generational leap. I mean if the TLOU was a generational leap then whats TLOU2? multi generation leap? Was TLOU2 a PS5 game all along?

No. Higher res and 60 fps doesnt make a generational leap. If that was the case, every cross gen game released so far this gen is a generational leap. The Uncharted remaster is a generational leap. The Death Stranding PS5 port is a generational leap. Nah. They are just last gen ports.

kyliethicc

lol no it wasnt a generational leap. TLOU2 was a generational leap. I mean if the TLOU was a generational leap then whats TLOU2? multi generation leap? Was TLOU2 a PS5 game all along?
That’s my point. At worst it’s a meaningless buzzword or at best a spectrum.

We all know they could have made a 720-900p 30 Hz version of Demon’s Souls remake to run on PS4. Low settings, etc.

But they didn’t.

Topher

Gold Member

No. Higher res and 60 fps doesnt make a generational leap. If that was the case, every cross gen game released so far this gen is a generational leap. The Uncharted remaster is a generational leap. The Death Stranding PS5 port is a generational leap. Nah. They are just last gen ports.

I think people need to stop looking for "generational leaps" in games because they are really just incremental improvements from one gen to the next these days.

SlimySnake

That’s my point. At worst it’s a meaningless buzzword or at best a spectrum.

We all know they could have made a 720-900p 30 Hz version of Demon’s Souls remake to run on PS4. Low settings, etc.

But they didn’t.
Well, if the remake looks like demon souls then im fine with it but we all know TLOU2 didnt look as good as this:

dOgqVEN.gif

2rZW3zc.gif

fsfOGZ4.gif

Regardless, I would expect Naughty Gods to do much better than BP who were a porting studio up until recently and had to ship a launch game 2 years ago.

SlimySnake

I think people need to stop looking for "generational leaps" in games because they are really just incremental improvements from one gen to the next these days.
Nah, we have to keep our standards high and not let these devs get complacent. I can promise you the ND themselves are going to be putting out games that look on par if not better than the Enemies Unity trailer.

Ubisoft and Epic have already shown us what next gen can bring with Avatar and the Matrix. The difference in tflops between the PS3 and PS5 is literally 40x. I can promise you PS5 only games especially from Sony's first party studios will looka generation apart from TLOU remake once Jimbo lets them make PS5 only games.

kyliethicc

Well, if the remake looks like demon souls then im fine with it but we all know TLOU2 didnt look as good as this:

Regardless, I would expect Naughty Gods to do much better than BP who were a porting studio up until recently and had to ship a launch game 2 years ago.
I tried to tell you what to expect from this a while ago lol.

They remade Part 1 using the engine & assets of Part 2 because they were literally making both games at the same time.

Same support team was building the same rigs, using the same engine. etc. They created 1 big cohesive story.

And they can ship it now and move on to making new games.

Swift_Star

Banned
People who have had really bad experience and live in perpetual tension don't have to look almost comically sad all the time.

He looked more tense and showed the attitude of someone who is rugged and resourceful. Someone that looks sad like this would just attract problems with their demeanour.
It’s just one scene… he doesn’t look like that all the time.

Nah, we have to keep our standards high and not let these devs get complacent. I can promise you the ND themselves are going to be putting out games that look on par if not better than the Enemies Unity trailer.

Ubisoft and Epic have already shown us what next gen can bring with Avatar and the Matrix. The difference in tflops between the PS3 and PS5 is literally 40x. I can promise you PS5 only games especially from Sony's first party studios will looka generation apart from TLOU remake once Jimbo lets them make PS5 only games.

Its not about the devs being lazy, its about technology. Its been said a million times, massive generational leaps like PS1-PS2 will never happen again. Back then everything was new territory.

Now whats the next leap....8k gaming? Can your eyes even tell a difference between 4k and 8k? Can you see a difference on a model of 4mil polygon versus 7 mil? Before we literally had characters that had no fingers but a fist and the next gen was off the charts. You wont notice these changes as you once did. You will if you never played a PS5 game from today until 5 years later. But getting drip by drip incremental tech upgrades you just get used to them.

PanzerAzel

Have you seen 14yo girls?! They can look downright 20 sometimes lol.
Ellie in original game never looked 14. She looked... 8
Then it seems even more ludicrous to redesign her that would highlight a 12 year disparity, no?

This isn’t a novel design, Ellie’s characterization has been established, and how a 14 year old girl can look is irrelevant to how THIS one actually does, because they can also look very young. And the way a character appears does bear on how we know them. Ellie’s very youthful appearance was deliberate and essential to the conveyance of her extreme naïveté, idealism, and ignorance of the outside world…..a world of which she continually expressed wonder and curiosity about, and that her original model reinforced. A 14 year old that looks 20 isn’t going to achieve that as well.

But I’m just more curious about why this change was done. What does it accomplish?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Then it seems even more ludicrous to redesign her that would highlight a 12 year disparity, no?

This isn’t a novel design, Ellie’s characterization has been established, and how a 14 year old girl can look is irrelevant to how THIS one actually does, because they can also look very young. And the way a character appears does bear on how we know them. Ellie’s very youthful appearance was deliberate and essential to the conveyance of her extreme naïveté, idealism, and ignorance of the outside world…..a world of which she continually expressed wonder and curiosity about, and that her original model reinforced. A 14 year old that looks 20 isn’t going to achieve that as well.

But I’m just more curious about why this change was done. What does it accomplish?
12 year disparity? She is 14 in original and 18 in sequel.
If not "correct" the look in remake.. then when ? besides... the change is not that significant

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member

No way. I consider Nanite/UE5 implementation on current gen consoles much more than an "incremental improvement".

Topher

Gold Member
No way. I consider Nanite/UE5 implementation on current gen consoles much more than an "incremental improvement".

Sorry....I don't see it. When I think of a "generational leap" I think of PS2 to PS3. Every generations that "leap" narrows a bit. It is constantly improving though and that is good, but I just don't see the "leap".

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sorry....I don't see it. When I think of a "generational leap" I think of PS2 to PS3. Every generations that "leap" narrows a bit. It is constantly improving though and that is good, but I just don't see the "leap".
We are never going to see that again.
1990 to 2000
2000 to 2010
2010 to 2020
The game is getting much much smaller. 2010 games look ok nowadays and imagine looking at 1990 game in 2000

yurinka

dOgqVEN.gif

2rZW3zc.gif

fsfOGZ4.gif

Demon's Souls remake was a launch game and TLOU remake seems will be using the TLOU2 engine with maybe some tweaks.

In both cases, they aren't games designed to take full advantage of the next gen hardware running on a next gen specific engine like UE5. UE5 still barely released so we'll need to wait years to see games taking full advantage of stuff like Nanite, plus we also have to see a similar engine doing that kind of stuff and/or top tier real time illumination and/or top tier RT usage.

The current generation allows several paradigm shits for game development that go way beyond only higher polycount, fps and more detailed textures or some extra shaders stuff. It opens new doors for level design, changes the workflow of the artists and may highly increase density of characters or objects in screen or environment destructibility to name a few examples while providing basically photorealism.

We'll end getting games this gen with better visuals and performance than the Matrix demo.

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

12 year disparity? She is 14 in original and 18 in sequel.
If not "correct" the look in remake.. then when ? besides... the change is not that significant
I know, but you said she looked 8 in the original, and that the reason she looks different in the remake is because some 14 year olds can look 20. Don’t disagree with you there, but my argument is that they should try to be a bit more consistent with her physical model, as it plays into and reinforces aspects of her personality.

I personally don’t think she appears 8 (at the absolute youngest 12), but I’m still puzzled as to why the changes were made.

Dr Kaneda

I don’t know what they were thinking here. The right is not someone who is 14.

A child’s face is not nearly so filled out, their features are not so matured, their eyes are oval, and she also has a look of veterancy and experience in her expression that makes no sense considering she has lived in the relatively sheltered seclusion of the quarantine zone her whole life. She looks like she’s in her very late teens to early twenties, and even then, the years have not been kind.

At least as this is coming to the PC, hopefully mods will bring back the originals and polish them up to par.
Kaitlyn-Dever-as-Loretta-in-Justified-2.jpg

463534349.jpg

One of these pictures is of Kaitlyn Dever (the one people keep saying should play Ellie in show) at 17 and they other his here at 14, which is which?

Regardless of if you can tell or not the difference is pretty subtle.

And it does.

No point in making a PS4 version. That’s what TLOU remastered was for.

Why is Death Stranding Director’s Cut only on PS5?

Why is any game only on PS5 and not PS4? Because that’s what they chose.

Problem solved, just forgot to lol

I think the reason why it isn't on PS4 is that it isn't enough of a leap from the remaster to warrant putting it on PS4, but I think it was probably a toss-up. I think they want to put it on PC for 70 dollars, so how do you justify that if the PS4 version is out for 60. What happens when few people buy it for 60 and you have to drop the price? Do you have an upgrade path for the PS5 version? I think all of this is avoided by just not releasing it on PS4.

It should be noted that TLOU remastered is on the PS+ collection. It was also the free game of October 2019.

I think this is really for PC users more than anything and PS5 is just happening to get a release because Sony still wants to push their console ahead of PC. I can't envision any PC exclusives ever happening.

463534349.jpg

One of these pictures is of Kaitlyn Dever (the one people keep saying should play Ellie in show) at 17 and they other his here at 14, which is which?

I think she would have been a better choice than Bella Ramsey, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong. Pedro Pascal has also been very hit or miss with his acting over the last few years. He wouldn't be my first choice either.

We are never going to see that again.
1990 to 2000
2000 to 2010
2010 to 2020
The game is getting much much smaller. 2010 games look ok nowadays and imagine looking at 1990 game in 2000

The Last of Us came out 4 years after Demon's Souls yet this remake is coming out two years after the Demon's Souls remake. The Demon's Souls remake looks phenomenal. I think we have to see the finished product here before we make any judgments, but so far it seems they haven't pushed the PS5 nearly as hard as they could have and maybe should have, but even if you look at the legacy of thieves collection, ND hasn't really been pushing the PS5 with any of their releases.

What is going to really sell TLOU apart from graphics is the gameplay and design of the world. That really hasn't been highlighted at all in what we've seen. That's what made TLOU2 look like a next-gen game, the environments.

dOgqVEN.gif

2rZW3zc.gif

fsfOGZ4.gif

Disagree with you here. Bluepoint had a lot of experience BECAUSE of doing ports which lead to them making top notch remakes. It was also the primary project at the studio, whereas Naughty Dog looks like they had 4, 5, or 6 projects going on at once.

Uncharted Thieves Legacy
Last of Us Part 1 Remake
Last of Us Factions 2
Neil Druckman game
Kurt Margenau game
Maybe Uncharted 5

TheGrat1

Am I the only person who did not slobber over the original when it came out? The production values are the best of the gen but the story was pretty generic and predictable. The gameplay was good once you finally upgraded the guns to a useable state, although I hated how they would pretend stealth was an option when it ultimately was not. The most interesting part of the game was the section you played as Ellie because it finally switched it up. 8/10. A Great game on my scale but nothing mindblowing.

EDMIX

dOgqVEN.gif

2rZW3zc.gif

fsfOGZ4.gif

sure but The Last Of Us 2 wasn't also made from the ground up for PS5 so...

Neofire

I think the reason why it isn't on PS4 is that it isn't enough of a leap from the remaster to warrant putting it on PS4, but I think it was probably a toss-up. I think they want to put it on PC for 70 dollars, so how do you justify that if the PS4 version is out for 60. What happens when few people buy it for 60 and you have to drop the price? Do you have an upgrade path for the PS5 version? I think all of this is avoided by just not releasing it on PS4.

It should be noted that TLOU remastered is on the PS+ collection. It was also the free game of October 2019.

I think this is really for PC users more than anything and PS5 is just happening to get a release because Sony still wants to push their console ahead of PC. I can't envision any PC exclusives ever happening.
So you are saying the only reason Sony is making this is because of the PC version and the ps5 version is just sloppy seconds?

🤣🤣🤣 Boy you can't make this stuff up.

So you are saying the only reason Sony is making this is because of the PC version and the ps5 version is just sloppy seconds?

🤣🤣🤣 Boy you can't make this stuff up.

I think that's more your interpretation, but it is impossible to dismiss the fact that the remaster is a free game on the PS5's PS+ collection and this game will be 70 dollars.

Another thing to consider is the legacy of the game/franchise.

This will ensure that the game is largely playable for the rest of time. If there is a PS5 Pro and when the PS6 comes out, this and TLOU2 will have significant enhancement, especially if TLOU2 gets a PS5 Director's Cut edition, which I have to assume is happening (fast loading, 3d audio, dual sense haptics) hopefully with a free upgrade path. If the show is successful, this game will sell for a significant number of years, similar to the Witcher.

I can envision TLOU1 and 2 running at 120fps on PS6.

I fully expect Sony to go back to the well and ensure that every major game of theirs has a continued legacy. The question is what the cutoff will be. I don't think we see games like Arc the Lad or Legend of Dragoon remade, but Twisted Metal, maybe even Syphon Filter? I think God of War 1-3 get remade

EruditeHobo

It's not "priced too high", it's priced to sell (like hotcakes, most likely) in the market. Welcome to economics 101, everyone.

You're using marketing buzzwords as if they are as concrete as scientific terms. That is the biggest problem here.

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

463534349.jpg

Even with only three years between these two pictures I can discern a noticeable difference here. Were I to guess, I’d say the top one is the 14 year old, but this is a poor choice to compare as one is smiling while the other is not. But I don’t know why people are arguing to me that just because some 14 year olds can look past their age, that that justifies changing a character who initially looked very young into someone who appears four to six years older.

I‘m curious on why this change was even made, as “some 14 year olds can look 20” isn’t a reason. She could’ve been created like this originally yet wasn’t.

It could be a sign that Sony is starting to move on. We will likely see less cross gen stuff going forward.

I think it is surprising because Sony still has big titles that are going to be cross gen, namely God of War and if they're going to bookend God of War Spider-Man, and Horizon on PS4, it's surprising that they won't do the same for TLOU1+2, especially since TLOU1:remake does look like it could run on PS4 at 1080p30 like TLOU2.

Just an odd decision and an outlier.

sainraja

I think it is surprising because Sony still has big titles that are going to be cross gen, namely God of War and if they're going to bookend God of War Spider-Man, and Horizon on PS4, it's surprising that they won't do the same for TLOU1+2, especially since TLOU1:remake does look like it could run on PS4 at 1080p30 like TLOU2.

Just an odd decision and an outlier.
Oh yeah...I guess I wasn't considering that. Maybe God of War is the outlier since they were targeting 2021 for it, weren't they? And now if it slips to 2023...that might be the only reason we could get a cross gen that late into the generation but you do have a point.

Last edited:
I can guarantee you we'll never get that fidelity on this gen or even the next gen at any resolution my man. Even the Matrix Awakens demo looks like straight ass compared to that offline rendered commercial when you are paying attention to how things are moving in motion (hair, facial/neck muscle, cloth...).

We still can't even get EVERYTHING geometrically rendered in 3D in video games, it's not happening.
I think you underestimate 10 TFLOPS…and next gen 40 to 60 TFLOPS… The Matrix Awakens is definitely close and once Naughty Dog updates their engine…its achievable for sure…

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So if anyone hasn't played the first Last of Us, I think you'd be better off buying the PS4 Remastered version and playing it for a fraction of the $70 cost being asked for the remake. The original PS4 version runs at 4K/60 and still looks respectable.

Dr Kaneda

Even with only three years between these two pictures I can discern a noticeable difference here. Were I to guess, I’d say the top one is the 14 year old, but this is a poor choice to compare as one is smiling while the other is not. But I don’t know why people are arguing to me that just because some 14 year olds can look past their age, that that justifies changing a character who initially looked very young into someone who appears four to six years older.

I‘m curious on why this change was even made, as “some 14 year olds can look 20” isn’t a reason. She could’ve been created like this originally yet wasn’t.
The argument is not that "the new Ellie looks 20 but it's OK because 14 year olds can look 20". rofif rofif was just point out that in GENERAL 14 year old girls are not as infantile as you seem to be making out.

On the specific point about Ellie the argument (and it's a rationale and sensical one) is that the new Ellie in and of herself looks like a normal 14 year old and that it's the original one that looked too young IN COMPARISON to the TLoU2 Ellie. The change was clearly made to bring Ellie in line with her TLoU2 model. Ellie in TLoU2 is 18, she looks 18. This new model for TLoU1 looks like she's around 4 years younger at 14. Using the original model would have been too big a disparity.

The Remaster Joel also looks older than his original model, because the TLoU2 Joel looks like he aged way more than 4 years compared to the original PS3/PS4 model. They've tweaked him to bring him more in line.

I honestly don't know what the big deal is here at all. You have millions upon millions of 14 year olds that look like both the original Ellie and the new remastered Ellie, it's bizarre that your acting like the new Ellie is some kind of outlier and that she looks like a 20 year old. She looks 14.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I agree..the bar has been low for Sony in bringing ps4 games to the ps5. Think about it ...the game is next gen only, we're on an entirely different and more powerful hardware than ps4, it's a Naughty Dog game .....the Last of Us Remake should be looking insane but it just doesn't...where is the ray tracing? Where is the power of the ps5 being used? It'll maybe look as good as Last of Us 2 if we're lucky but look what Bluepoint was able to do with Demons Souls! This should be more impressive than that being that the consoles have been out for a year and a half..

Sony hasn't been doing much to take advantage of ps5 . .same case with Uncharted 4 remaster, ghost of tsushima, gow/lou2, etc- all very low effort ps5 versions! Only Demons Souls and Spiderman remastered ACTUALLY had some effort put into them

Then to charge $70. The reason these amazing Sony exclusives are not impressive is simply because Sony realizes they don't have to do anything and they will sell like hotcakes regardless.
I’m starting to think that ND didn’t scrap the work by BEND studio on this remaster as the new character models are just… sheesh. The old character models do look better, there’s no discussion to be had. This is not in line with ND’s technical prowess. I guarantee Factions will melt eyeballs.

Top Bottom