• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part I - PS5 - Coming September 2 (PC version in development)

Neofire

Please clearly state your objections, because there's a lot of different anger and I want to understand it all

1) I'm angry because there's a PC port
2) I'm angry because this isn't enough of an upgrade over the PS4 remaster
A combination of both 1 and 2, they should focus only on the PS5 version so that it will look like a proper update over the PS4 remaster (with the ps5 patch)

Last edited:
remastered looks better. this is not a remake, not even close. Sony is not even trying now to please the fans with visual quality and 70-100$ price range. More like taunting the fans.
sJYp9Pj.jpg
I agree..the bar has been low for Sony in bringing ps4 games to the ps5. Think about it ...the game is next gen only, we're on an entirely different and more powerful hardware than ps4, it's a Naughty Dog game .....the Last of Us Remake should be looking insane but it just doesn't...where is the ray tracing? Where is the power of the ps5 being used? It'll maybe look as good as Last of Us 2 if we're lucky but look what Bluepoint was able to do with Demons Souls! This should be more impressive than that being that the consoles have been out for a year and a half..

Sony hasn't been doing much to take advantage of ps5 . .same case with Uncharted 4 remaster, ghost of tsushima, gow/lou2, etc- all very low effort ps5 versions! Only Demons Souls and Spiderman remastered ACTUALLY had some effort put into them

Then to charge $70. The reason these amazing Sony exclusives are not impressive is simply because Sony realizes they don't have to do anything and they will sell like hotcakes regardless.

Michele

you.
Is this game really this bad? When there was a showcase of this on Summer Game Fest there were a lot of people doing the 🤢 and 🤮 emotes...

MikeM

I agree..the bar has been low for Sony in bringing ps4 games to the ps5. Think about it ...the game is next gen only, we're on an entirely different and more powerful hardware than ps4, it's a Naughty Dog game .....the Last of Us Remake should be looking insane but it just doesn't...where is the ray tracing? Where is the power of the ps5 being used? It'll maybe look as good as Last of Us 2 if we're lucky but look what Bluepoint was able to do with Demons Souls! This should be more impressive than that being that the consoles have been out for a year and a half..

Sony hasn't been doing much to take advantage of ps5 . .same case with Uncharted 4 remaster, ghost of tsushima, gow/lou2, etc- all very low effort ps5 versions! Only Demons Souls and Spiderman remastered ACTUALLY had some effort put into them

Then to charge $70. The reason these amazing Sony exclusives are not impressive is simply because Sony realizes they don't have to do anything and they will sell like hotcakes regardless.
I wish Sony would make a game that takes advantage of primitive shaders. Yet to see this or truly using the ssd.

Maybe this is the one?

Lupin25

What’s with the perception here that ND somehow has a lesser output?

They released Uncharted 4 (2016) & Lost Legacy (2016) LESS than 2 years apart and Lost Legacy could be admittedly the better game. TLOU2 drops in 2020, now the TLOU Remake in 2022 & a full stand-alone game next year.

People aren’t expecting much, but next year’s game won’t simply be a tacked on component or “Factions 2” lol.
It’s a FULL game, with new characters, a new world and a new, cinematic experience.

https://www.gamesradar.com/the-last-of-us-is-getting-a-standalone-multiplayer-game/

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
What’s with the perception here that ND somehow has a lesser output?

They released Uncharted 4 (2016) & Lost Legacy (2016) LESS than 2 years apart and Lost Legacy could be admittedly the better game. TLOU2 drops in 2020, now the TLOU Remake in 2022 & a full stand-alone game next year.

People aren’t expecting much, but next year’s game won’t simply be a tacked on component or “Factions 2” lol.
It’s a FULL game, with new characters, a new world and a new, cinematic experience.
Well, LL (2017) is overrated imo and nowhere near UC4. It's a cool 6 hours little story but lacks charm and character from the main game.
Anyway - Are people claiming low output? that's 4 years between main big games which is long but fine these days.

Stooky

Maybe I’m overestimating the desire for this
There are still plenty of people who haven’t played this game. With the updated graphics sales will be good on pc. To have tlou matched in quality with tlou 2 makes it a nice complete package for new gamers to jump into. I think most of this ‘I’m not buying Tlou remake’ is just the typical gaf noise.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
This looks virtually identical to the ps4 game. There is no way they don’t have a ps4 version in development. Anyone who thinks this is the best naughty dog can do on a ps5 is not a true naughty dog fan

Lol, can always count on Slimy to keep it real. I definitely expected more from the reveal. If you're going to advertise that it was "made from the ground up" on PS5 and have ND on stage saying the reason for the remake was to not be constrained by old hardware, then show us something that couldn't have been done on PS4. They were able to do this in their first showings for Ratchet and Demon Souls, why not here? Of course it looks great compared to the original remaster but like you said it would be insulting to ND if you don't compare this remake to TLOU2.

Still hoping a more in-depth look reveals a surprise. There may be significantly more detail crammed in we’re not seeing plainly on YouTube compressed video. At least that’s the hope.

This. I'll also note that they decided to show the 60fps mode, they certainly have a fidelity mode at 30/40fps which should open much more possibilities, and I'm not talking about native 4k. I expect to see decent use of RTGI. Otherwise, $70 will remain a head scratcher to me.

Lupin25

Well, LL (2017) is overrated imo and nowhere near UC4. It's a cool 6 hours little story but lacks charm and character from the main game.
Anyway - Are people claiming low output? that's 4 years between main big games which is long but fine these days.

I was reading a few pages a back and there are those who are acting as if, “OMG WTF has Naughty Dog been doing this whole time!?” Lol

Lost Legacy won’t hit home as much as UC4 in terms of character building, but every other aspect including the semi open-world hub zones they improved upon in my opinion.

This new standalone thing should be an extension of that but a complete open-world, coupled with the multiplayer aspect and immersive cinematic set pieces ND is known for.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Is this game really this bad? When there was a showcase of this on Summer Game Fest there were a lot of people doing the 🤢 and 🤮 emotes...
Politics. People hate that Druckmann had a trans character in the game and that he's pushing some kind of liberal agenda.

TLOU is arguably THE best game of the PS360 era and at the time was the most critically acclaimed game of all time before Witcher 3 won more awards a few years later. With the TLOU2 combat mechanics and graphics, this will be one of the best playing third person shooters out there and THE best looking game of last gen. People nowadays view everything with a lens of politics.

Lol, can always count on Slimy to keep it real. I definitely expected more from the reveal. If you're going to advertise that it was "made from the ground up" on PS5 and have ND on stage saying the reason for the remake was to not be constrained by old hardware, then show us something that couldn't have been done on PS4. They were able to do this in their first showings for Ratchet and Demon Souls, why not here? Of course it looks great compared to the original remaster but like you said it would be insulting to ND if you don't compare this remake to TLOU2.
They must think we are stupid. TBH, i expected this from suits like Jimbo and Herman Hurst, but not Neil. He specifically said this was rebuilt from the ground up on the PS5 multiple times during the stream, and we all know thats not true. We have eyes and a brain, and frankly it's insulting that he thinks we will fall for this. But he IS the co-president of Naughty Dog now so I guess he's one of the suits now.

RTGI will be cool since GI bounce from light sources was one of the things they downgraded from the E3 demo of TLOU2. like Shmunter mentioned, I would also like to see these animations and character models back, but im not holding my breath. After all, we didnt get a PS5 only version of TLOU2 with these animations and character models.

YFFP314.gif

car.gif

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Shmunter

Politics. People hate that Druckmann had a trans character in the game and that he's pushing some kind of liberal agenda.

TLOU is arguably THE best game of the PS360 era and at the time was the most critically acclaimed game of all time before Witcher 3 won more awards a few years later. With the TLOU2 combat mechanics and graphics, this will be one of the best playing third person shooters out there and THE best looking game of last gen. People nowadays view everything with a lens of politics.

They must think we are stupid. TBH, i expected this from suits like Jimbo and Herman Hurst, but not Neil. He specifically said this was rebuilt from the ground up on the PS5 multiple times during the stream, and we all know thats not true. We have eyes and a brain, and frankly it's insulting that he thinks we will fall for this. But he IS the co-president of Naughty Dog now so I guess he's one of the suits now.

RTGI will be cool since GI bounce from light sources was one of the things they downgraded from the E3 demo of TLOU2. like Shmunter mentioned, I would also like to see these animations and character models back, but im not holding my breath. After all, we didnt get a PS5 only version of TLOU2 with these animations and character models.

YFFP314.gif

car.gif

maxresdefault.jpg

There’s really no excuses for their full vision not to be realised with ps5 hardware. Watching keenly.

If their original target is met, we can safely say they targeted the hardware with no compromise. Putting it onto last gen would require rework and not just a framerate & res difference therefore it is a next gen game.

To be or not to be?….that is the question

Last edited:

Rea

He specifically said this was rebuilt from the ground up on the PS5 multiple times during the stream, and we all know thats not true.
Let's give him a benefit of the doubt, and see if there's any ray-tracing when the full game comes out. If not then he's just a corporate liar and should be call out.

... But I doubt it lol. No matter how much i look at this game in the trailer, on my 4k screen, or on my 1440p phone.. it simply looks like TLOU2.

SlimySnake

There’s really no excuses for their full vision not to be realised with ps5 hardware. Watching keenly.

If their original target is met, we can safely say they targeted the hardware with no compromise. Putting it onto last gen would require rework and not just a framerate & res difference therefore it is a next gen game.
I guess. I remember reading that they replayed that e3 demo behind the scenes to journalists and it ran just fine, wasnt faked or scripted etc. So clearly the PS4 Pro with its 4.2 tflops and 2.1 GHz Jaguar CPU was capable of running that game with those motion matching animations, character models and GI lighting at 1440p 30 fps so PS5 should be able to do it at 1440p 60 fps with room to spare.

Hopefully, we will see gameplay soon and maybe they are doing some fancy next gen destruction and physics in there. Maybe thats what Neil was talking about when he said its built for PS5. Maybe.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Let's give him a benefit of the doubt, and see if there's any ray-tracing when the full game comes out. If not then he's just a corporate liar and should be call out.

... But I doubt it lol. No matter how much i look at this game in the trailer, on my 4k screen, or on my 1440p phone.. it simply looks like TLOU2.
And why is that a bad thing exactly?

Shmunter

I guess. I remember reading that they replayed that e3 demo behind the scenes to journalists and it ran just fine, wasnt faked or scripted etc. So clearly the PS4 Pro with its 4.2 tflops and 2.1 GHz Jaguar CPU was capable of running that game with those motion matching animations, character models and GI lighting at 1440p 30 fps so PS5 should be able to do it at 1440p 60 fps with room to spare.

Hopefully, we will see gameplay soon and maybe they are doing some fancy next gen destruction and physics in there. Maybe thats what Neil was talking about when he said its built for PS5. Maybe.
This is why I think the full game exhausted ram and the high quality models had to be cut.

A vertical slice demo didn’t need to provision ram for the full game and could have it all pre-loaded. In the final game PS4 could not stream assets fast enough in real-time so things got downgraded due to ram constraints.

PS5 has no such limitations and can stream in the best available assets as needed.

GI lighting could have been a performance issue where applying it to the entire game, parts could not sustain the needed performance target, but also could be a memory constraint also. Guess work.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
I didn't say it's a bad thing, my man. I'm just expecting more from $70 priced game and studio like ND.
It they have RTGI like Slimy said, it would be an instant buy for me.
You’re all are overreacting from a trailer… people have been jumping the gun lately and everytime they end up looking like clowns.
How about we wait and see how this game really looks like?
It’s too much drama over nothing.
In the end you can always wait for a sale.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Enjoyed the first game but not sure I can get around to playing it again given the second game put me off the franchise.
Factions is a lot of fun. I got most of the trophies in the Remastered version by simply playing the multiplayer. Which I feel like is worth playing if you don’t want to jump into the story right away. I was considering downloading Factions again just because it’s a lot of fun to craft, camp on the map, and rush someone down out of nowhere. I don’t know what the lobbies look like anymore.

Stooky

This. I'll also note that they decided to show the 60fps mode, they certainly have a fidelity mode at 30/40fps which should open much more possibilities, and I'm not talking about native 4k. I expect to see decent use of RTGI. Otherwise, $70 will remain a head scratcher to me.
Just remember tlou was designed for ps3, tlou2 was designed for ps4. There’s lots of room for improvement tlou on Ps5

I agree tbh…this game should look CGI level / Matrix Awakens level but a Naughty Dog artist claimed they wanted to keep the art style and visuals consistent between games…I agree with that but fidelity could be a little better for a PS5 only title…depends on budget, resources etc. Still I’m expecting at least updated geometry, animation, character model LOD, textures, maybe some ray tracing and graphic technology. Needs to be Native 4K 60fps. I still think TLOU II is one of the best looking games ever made and is number one of ALL time in some areas…I’ve never seen a better looking and animating game. I just need TLOU 3 to be close to this. 👇

SlimySnake

I agree tbh…this game should look CGI level / Matrix Awakens level but a Naughty Dog artist claimed they wanted to keep the art style and visuals consistent between games…I agree with that but fidelity could be a little better for a PS5 only title…depends on budget, resources etc. Still I’m expecting at least updated geometry, animation, character model LOD, textures, maybe some ray tracing and graphic technology. Needs to be Native 4K 60fps. I still think TLOU II is one of the best looking games ever made and is number one of ALL time in some areas…I’ve never seen a better looking and animating game. I just need TLOU 3 to be close to this. 👇

This is what I wanted from Naughty Dog's first PS5 game.

Christ, worst post of the year. Why did you have to do me dirty like that right before bed time.

3liteDragon

I think we'll get this kinda fidelity by the end of this gen but not at native 4K lol, 1440p at best. And plus, didn't Part I have a limited budget since it's a remake of an old game?

Last edited:

kyliethicc

The remake was never intended to make Part 2 look dated lol.

The idea was make Part 1 look and play like Part 2. Use the same engine & assets.

The team at Visual Arts were literally making Part 1 and Part 2 at the same time. Same engine, models, etc.

Its a great idea. Make a masterpiece game look & play much better, bringing it up to the level of the sequel.

Now The Last of Us is basically 1 giant 40 hour game & story. And they even did Left Behind too thankfully.

SlimySnake

I think we'll get this kinda fidelity by the end of this gen but not at native 4K lol, 1440p at best. And plus, didn't Part I have a limited budget since it's a remake of an old game?
Limited budget should not be excuse for a first party sony game made by Naughty Dog being sold for $70.

Sony just spent $3.5 billion on bungie. They made $25 billion in revenue in 2020. They should not be hurting for money for their big budget games.

3liteDragon

Limited budget should not be excuse for a first party sony game made by Naughty Dog being sold for $70.

Sony just spent $3.5 billion on bungie. They made $25 billion in revenue in 2020. They should not be hurting for money for their big budget games.
Lol, that's not what I'm talking about. My only complaint with this remake IS the fact that it's priced way too high. I'm talking about people complaining that it doesn't look like a generational leap over TLOU2 when it's a remake on a limited budget (their main goal was to make it look visually consistent with Part II), I'm sure their new IP will look insane given the budget it has compared to a remake.

Last edited:
He as always sad, hurting and whatnot. They’re just showing it better now.
People who have had really bad experience and live in perpetual tension don't have to look almost comically sad all the time.

He looked more tense and showed the attitude of someone who is rugged and resourceful. Someone that looks sad like this would just attract problems with their demeanour.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
You’re all are overreacting from a trailer… people have been jumping the gun lately and everytime they end up looking like clowns.
How about we wait and see how this game really looks like?
It’s too much drama over nothing.
In the end you can always wait for a sale.

It's not about the trailer in and of itself. It's that the trailer doesn't hold up to ND proclamation of being built from the ground up with their latest PS5 engine.

The difference between TLOU2 engine and ND latest PS5 engine should (and I believe does) go way beyond higher resolution and framerate. As of now, I can only hope they're holding off on sharing much of the PS5 upgrades. That will come down the road as they show more. I just wish they would've been more specific with the new tech that's being implemented that distinguishes the remake from TLOU2 that's all.

The idea was make Part 1 look and play like Part 2. Use the same engine & assets.

But that's not what ND is saying:
Completely rebuilt using Naughty Dog's latest PS5 engine technology with advanced visual fidelity.

Like I said above TLOU2 is PS4 engine so the remake should indeed look a generation apart from TLOU2 going off of Naughty Dog's own claims.

kyliethicc

It's not about the trailer in and of itself. It's that the trailer doesn't hold up to ND proclamation of being built from the ground up with their latest PS5 engine.

The difference between TLOU2 engine and ND latest PS5 engine should (and I believe does) go way beyond higher resolution and framerate. As of now, I can only hope they're holding off on sharing much of the PS5 upgrades. That will come down the road as they show more. I just wish they would've been more specific with the new tech that's being implemented that distinguishes the remake from TLOU2 that's all.

But that's not what ND is saying:

Like I said above TLOU2 is PS4 engine so the remake should indeed look a generation apart from TLOU2 going off of Naughty Dog's own claims.
Their engine is not tied to any gen. It’s 1 code base that evolves game by game.

And don’t listen to PR. They’re just trying to sell their shit.

It’s pretty simple. The remake looks a gen ahead of the original, like Part 2. That’s the point.

Can you imagine the riots if the game was remade only for PC without a PS5 version?

Ultimately, this is the most important response in this thread.

They want to bring LOU to a larger audience, especially with the show happening. A lot of people who never played LOU or LOU2, despite how well the original game and remaster sold. They've done this with almost all of their major franchises now:

God of War, Horizon, Uncharted, Spider-Man, and Last of Us. The biggest thing missing is Gran Turismo and Ghost of Tsushima (both of which I think we'll see on PC next year). I think we'll also see Bloodborne next year on PS5 and PC.

It's a good idea for the show and it's a good idea for the games, but the remaster being ported to PC would certainly not come across as well and it makes way more sense to bring it more in line with LOU2 which will almost certainly get its own PC port.

If you ask yourself if Naughty Dog bringing LOU Remastered to PC makes sense to introduce brand new fans to the franchise and if you're honest, you'll answer it doesn't make sense. If you ask yourself if fans would have been happy if this was PC only, and you answer honestly, you'll say no.

There are questions though as to whether the character designs are improvements just like with Spider-Man Remastered and whether or not this goes as far as we'd expect for a PS5 exclusive. I'm actually surprised the remake isn't being released on PS4 even in 1440p30. This reminds me of the effort that was expected with Twin Snakes. Ignoring the issues with the game, it still doesn't stand up well today graphically, you wouldn't just port that to PC and current-gen consoles. You'd do it from scratch. This is a nice to have for people who have already played it, but huge for PC gamers. It should also be pointed out that there is still quite the drought of "next gen games" so much like the remaster this is a stop gap to games like Spider-Man 2.

tommib

Ultimately, this is the most important response in this thread.

They want to bring LOU to a larger audience, especially with the show happening. A lot of people who never played LOU or LOU2, despite how well the original game and remaster sold. They've done this with almost all of their major franchises now:

God of War, Horizon, Uncharted, Spider-Man, and Last of Us. The biggest thing missing is Gran Turismo and Ghost of Tsushima (both of which I think we'll see on PC next year). I think we'll also see Bloodborne next year on PS5 and PC.

It's a good idea for the show and it's a good idea for the games, but the remaster being ported to PC would certainly not come across as well and it makes way more sense to bring it more in line with LOU2 which will almost certainly get its own PC port.

If you ask yourself if Naughty Dog bringing LOU Remastered to PC makes sense to introduce brand new fans to the franchise and if you're honest, you'll answer it doesn't make sense. If you ask yourself if fans would have been happy if this was PC only, and you answer honestly, you'll say no.

There are questions though as to whether the character designs are improvements just like with Spider-Man Remastered and whether or not this goes as far as we'd expect for a PS5 exclusive. I'm actually surprised the remake isn't being released on PS4 even in 1440p30. This reminds me of the effort that was expected with Twin Snakes. Ignoring the issues with the game, it still doesn't stand up well today graphically, you wouldn't just port that to PC and current-gen consoles. You'd do it from scratch. This is a nice to have for people who have already played it, but huge for PC gamers. It should also be pointed out that there is still quite the drought of "next gen games" so much like the remaster this is a stop gap to games like Spider-Man 2.
Oh My God Yes GIF by Naughty Dog

It also confirms that Sony is not fucking around with their PC investments that some people could be undermining. They’re full-on bringing their titles at their best to PC. They’re fully committed to the platform.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Can we have HBO show that looks like this ad?

I can guarantee you we'll never get that fidelity on this gen or even the next gen at any resolution my man. Even the Matrix Awakens demo looks like straight ass compared to that offline rendered commercial when you are paying attention to how things are moving in motion (hair, facial/neck muscle, cloth...).

We still can't even get EVERYTHING geometrically rendered in 3D in video games, it's not happening.

Trunim

70 dollars oh my god... I'll just watch some videos to look at the graphics. I've been playing this game so many times now already, not gonna pay that much just for graphics and some tweaked gameplay.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Their engine is not tied to any gen. It’s 1 code base that evolves game by game.

And don’t listen to PR. They’re just trying to sell their shit.

It’s pretty simple. The remake looks a gen ahead of the original, like Part 2. That’s the point.

Hard disagree, too cynical.

If ND has chosen to label the remake as PS5 only, built from ground up and using latest ps5 tech, then it's completely reasonable for myself and others to expect a generational leap in comparison to TLOU2.

Hard disagree, too cynical.

If ND has chosen to label the remake as PS5 only, built from ground up and using latest ps5 tech, then it's completely reasonable for myself and others to expect a generational leap in comparison to TLOU2.

If this runs in 4K60 and maybe even with raytracing elements that is a generational leap over TLOU2 which on PS4 Pro even was 1440p30 and on PS4 was 1080p30.

So I think part of the problem is we're comparing apples to oranges here. If there is a 30fps mode available on TLOU1 PS5 how does the game look in that mode would be the question.

PanzerAzel

Between this:
jHrKCou.png

…I think I'm good. It's not the same game I fell in love with. It is what it is..
I don’t know what they were thinking here. The right is not someone who is 14.

A child’s face is not nearly so filled out, their features are not so matured, their eyes are oval, and she also has a look of veterancy and experience in her expression that makes no sense considering she has lived in the relatively sheltered seclusion of the quarantine zone her whole life. She looks like she’s in her very late teens to early twenties, and even then, the years have not been kind.

At least as this is coming to the PC, hopefully mods will bring back the originals and polish them up to par.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
The remake was never intended to make Part 2 look dated lol.

The team at Visual Arts were literally making Part 1 and Part 2 at the same time. Same engine, models, etc.

Its a great idea. Make a masterpiece game look & play much better, bringing it up to the level of the sequel.

Now The Last of Us is basically 1 giant 40 hour game & story. And they even did Left Behind too thankfully.

Makes sense but what doesn't make sense is why no PS4 version then? Everything shown can be done on PS4.

M1987

Were there that many people really hankering to replay TLoU1 again?
It's the best game I have ever played so I was definitely going to be playing it again, until Tom Henderson leaked about the remake, so I have been waiting for this ever since

SlimySnake

Makes sense but what doesn't make sense is why no PS4 version then? Everything shown can be done on PS4.
Godfall, GT7, HFW, Miles, RE8 were all announced at PS conferences as PS5 games. They all got PS4 versions. This will eventually get one too, if not on day one. If it doesn't, it's likely because Sony doesnt want the backlash. Like Kylethic said, this is just PR. Dont listen to it. This is a PS4 game through and through.

ParaSeoul

I don’t know what they were thinking here. The right is not someone who is 14.

A child’s face is not nearly so filled out, their features are not so matured, their eyes are oval, and she also has a look of veterancy and experience in her expression that makes no sense considering she has lived in the relatively sheltered seclusion of the quarantine zone her whole life. She looks like she’s in her very late teens to early twenties, and even then, the years have not been kind.

At least as this is coming to the PC, hopefully mods will bring back the originals and polish them up to par.
Once again this will not be a still image.

ParaSeoul

I had the high quality version of the trailer downloaded so I tried taking a few high res screenshots of what I thought looked like a good way of showing the improvements that weren't already posted.

UwB2O9T.png

UDZyydg.png
PbOJNf7.png

Qf0tiLh.png

yurznPu.png

83fD74w.png
y5De6fT.png
imkr126.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom