• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part I & II - Playstation 5 Remake Graphical Speculation

sendit

The heavy downgrade on the character models in TLOU2 was the truly heartbreaking aspect of the game all along.

50032269607_df7ce17694_o.png

Imagine how much better this game could have been with the 2018 character models (and a decent script).
Agreed. It's pretty nice of Naughty Dog to downgrade the graphics to allow for the competition to catch up.

Where the hell are you getting this ìnfo from OP? WHERE!?

ND didn't say anything of the sort 😒

PS5 version of tlou2 has been confirmed, what, where, how?

It's just connecting the dots. Not confirmed, but read between the lines.

The team has been digging into the PS5 hardware and the possibilities it unlocks since launch last year and we’re excited about what the future holds. This patch is just the first step of working on the PS5. We’ll let you know when we’ve got more news to share!

If the game is a designed from ground up PS5 title then I have no issues with the remake. It's probably my favorite game of all time so wont cry about it getting remade.

However, if it looks like TLOU2, even before the downgrade then meh.

I am playing TLOU2 right now and it already feels dated. the graphics arent as arresting as they used to be, and even the gameplay feels a bit stale.

Yeah I just replayed some sections of TLOU2 with the patch, and honestly 60 fps doesn't add much to this game. The controls are so slow that you don't really notice the difference. It's not hyper fluid like Returnal, for instance.

It's still a great looking last-gen game, but you can tell that some of these "cross-gen" titles truly are superior (see: Miles Morales or Village). Both look better than TLOU2 post-patch, IMHO.

They really need to speed up the gameplay of TLOU because as you said it feels very dated, especially after returnal. I'm not asking for something as quick as that game, but I would like the controls to be sped up and way more aggressive with things like animations. It just feels too slow to the point that it really hinders the gameplay. Same with the aiming. Feels like I'm fighting with the controls which I don't think is good for the game.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sorry man, i'm only doing this because after posting them i was told TLOUII looks better than any next-gen game.

I think you should change you panel, or at least calibrate it. The aquarium is one the most impressive locations in the game.. seems amost made just to show off their updated glass tech.
I dont think its my tv. I just think the place where I am at the moment is the least attractive part of the game. Your screenshots are mostly from Ellie's campaign, but like I mentioned in my post, I am right where Abby meets Yara and Lev and while the forest section looked stunning, pretty much everything after that is just drab and ugly. the boat lighting was very dull. the shipyard at night didnt look impressive. even the morning scene in the shipyard didnt look good. im now at the part where you climb the building and there is just this very lame looking fog surrounding that area that just doesnt look good.

E19rvf5X0AI72eJ

E19rvvoWEAEU7k-

contrast it with the fog in this scene for instance.

E181a5kXMAAFypF

It's thick and the volumetric lighting is far more impressive.

I also think the interiors look way better in RE8.

E181g3GWQAEMmG0

E181bJLX0AI8xpu

E181am0XsAg99nU

E19r4HZXsAUOQTm

E19r3imWYAUvmCW

E19r309WEAEdElZ

It's probably not fair to compare the two since TLOU2 is like 3x longer clocking in at around 30 hours with way more areas than RE8 but every room in re8 has stunning lighting. it almost feels handcrafted in a way ND games used to feel.

The only time RE8 looks bad or underwhelming is during the dusk setting when the lighting feels baked and dull and starts to show cracks in the game's environment detail. But thankfully you dont spend too much time during that setting.

Here are a few screenshots I just took a few minutes ago. Unlike your screenshots, these dont look particularly good. I dont think its because of the engine or because ND isnt talented, i just think these Abby chapters just dont look as good. I am looking forward to the village raid in 60 fps because that is easily the best looking chapter in the game after the first few chapters with Ellie.

E19v7ibWYAIU2z2

E19rv_IWUAUf4Ro

E19rvOPWUAM-VZv

E19v7RTWQAE2_55

DavidGzz

Hmmm, I forgot they confirmed a remake. Just started playing it on PS5 and forgot I needed PS+ for my old PS4 save. This reminder and the fact that I can't even do New Game+, killed my boner.

SlimySnake

Yeah I just replayed some sections of TLOU2 with the patch, and honestly 60 fps doesn't add much to this game. The controls are so slow that you don't really notice the difference. It's not hyper fluid like Returnal, for instance.

It's still a great looking last-gen game, but you can tell that some of these "cross-gen" titles truly are superior (see: Miles Morales or Village). Both look better than TLOU2 post-patch, IMHO.

They really need to speed up the gameplay of TLOU because as you said it feels very dated, especially after returnal. I'm not asking for something as quick as that game, but I would like the controls to be sped up and way more aggressive with things like animations. It just feels too slow to the point that it really hinders the gameplay. Same with the aiming. Feels like I'm fighting with the controls which I don't think is good for the game.
Man I am glad you brought this up because I told my friends how I wasnt enjoying the combat after this new patch and they thought I was crazy. A year ago, I thought the combat and scenarios were the saving grace of this game since I hated playing as Abby and really disliked where Neil took the story though I did come around to liking the 'idea' behind it after finishing it.

But now, especially after playing RE8 which is supposed to be methodical and laggy, it doesnt feel good to play. Like you, I am constantly struggling with the controls. I have no idea why reloading is on R2. I dont know why you cant just set shortcuts for your favorite weapons. Tapping twice to get to the shotgun is bizarre. the input lag is awful. NX gamer found that it is 129 ms even at 60 fps! it was 170 before that. that right there is why it feels so clunky.

I am playing it with infinte ammo and infinite crafting since it didnt feel like cheating in RE8, but I am still not having fun. I have beaten RE8 5 times now with different guns and it felt great every time. mercenaries with perks that let you move fast and aim fast feels so much better that I wish they added some of those perks to the single player.

Shmunter

Man I am glad you brought this up because I told my friends how I wasnt enjoying the combat after this new patch and they thought I was crazy. A year ago, I thought the combat and scenarios were the saving grace of this game since I hated playing as Abby and really disliked where Neil took the story though I did come around to liking the 'idea' behind it after finishing it.

But now, especially after playing RE8 which is supposed to be methodical and laggy, it doesnt feel good to play. Like you, I am constantly struggling with the controls. I have no idea why reloading is on R2. I dont know why you cant just set shortcuts for your favorite weapons. Tapping twice to get to the shotgun is bizarre. the input lag is awful. NX gamer found that it is 129 ms even at 60 fps! it was 170 before that. that right there is why it feels so clunky.

I am playing it with infinte ammo and infinite crafting since it didnt feel like cheating in RE8, but I am still not having fun. I have beaten RE8 5 times now with different guns and it felt great every time. mercenaries with perks that let you move fast and aim fast feels so much better that I wish they added some of those perks to the single player.
Good god guys. Please let’s not turn everything into Call Of Duty. And I’m a big COD buy.

Slow, methodical, closer to realistic still has a place in this ADD world. It’s still light years more controllable than something from Rockstar.

Good god guys. Please let’s not turn everything into Call Of Duty. And I’m a big COD buy.

Slow, methodical, closer to realistic still has a place in this ADD world. It’s still light years more controllable than something from Rockstar.

it feels unnecessarily clunky

good first play through but I’m actually kinda regretting saying that I’m happy ND is remaking this

Just don’t think I have it in me to replay it...too much of a slog.

which is a shame because ND has really gone in the wrong direction. I hope their next games have far less interruptions to gameplay

uncharted 1 and 2 struck a good balance, but after TLOU all of their games are almost impossible for me to replay

not a huge fan of Re8’s controls either

but yes I don’t get why I need to hold down a button to sprint

isn’t that what a smog controls are for?

why does it take seconds to roll and jump, should be a lot more immediate

aiming is also spastic

umcharted feels a lot more fun to play

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

I think it would feel more like Uncharted if the action was sped up.

ND made it an effort to make you feel every single moment of the action and that's what I enjoy about the gameplay.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
If the game is a designed from ground up PS5 title then I have no issues with the remake. It's probably my favorite game of all time so wont cry about it getting remade.

However, if it looks like TLOU2, even before the downgrade then meh.

I am playing TLOU2 right now and it already feels dated. the graphics arent as arresting as they used to be, and even the gameplay feels a bit stale.
Excuse Me What GIF by One Chicago

GuinGuin

Banned
I think it would feel more like Uncharted if the action was sped up.

ND made it an effort to make you feel every single moment of the action and that's what I enjoy about the gameplay.

It's visceral as hell. Every shot has to count and every time you get knocked on your ass and have to shoot from the ground feels like playing a world class action movie.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Gushing over it since yesterday in 60fps... my only tiny gripe here is the LOD swaps on textures and models, still often noticeable in larger spaces with longer draw distance, something I hope will become a relic of the past this gen.

It's really minor and doesn't bother me in the grand scheme of things, the game runs, plays and looks spectacular, but at the moment the only change in how it looks is framerate.

There are plenty of areas the game could still improve visually, despite looking years ahead in so many others, especially now in motion. The forementioned self-shadowing or enemy model detail in gameplay are good examples.

It has probably the best micro-scale collision physics out there, and some really smart tech of spawning and despawning foliage around the model while crawling in grass but you still can often see it clipping.

I'd also love to see more permanent effects of throwing a molotov or an explosive arrow on the environment. That would obviously require more destruction tech a lack of which is a reasonable trade-off here.
I read TLOU2 has a limit of 1000 rigid bodies per frame, that's definitely not enough to pull that off looking as good as everything else.

Can't wait to see what they can do with a PS5 exclusive.

Vick

Gold Member
It's probably not fair to compare the two since TLOU2 is like 3x longer clocking in at around 30 hours with way more areas than RE8 but every room in re8 has stunning lighting. it almost feels handcrafted in a way ND games used to feel.
I see what you mean, but it's not only about the game size, or the fact RE8 being first person doesn't have to render photorealistic characters with thousands of animations on screen, far more advanced AI or that kind of foliage, the main fact is that RE8 still makes heavy use of photogrammetry while ND assets/textures are all hand made.

There's always going to be a particular style in ND games due to this, and once you notice the ever present technical details in their games that may go overlooked but truly make them special, like the torch GI or capsule AO, you see things differently. In TLOUII every single surface and object reacts to character proximity with some kind of occlusion for example, this means you can change the appearance of every surface in the game by simply moving around it, and this before even mentioning how, with the torch on, interiors lighting drastically changes in a pre-rendered fashion with every single step you take, due to the GI.. once you realize things like this are missing in any other title, well, you regard ND titles as visually special.

Oh lord. I want a bloody 3rd-person fantasy game from them so much. :messenger_weary:
That or some scifi stuff.
I know people really want a new IP from them.. but i'll always be in need of an Uncharted prequel with young Nate and Sully, Eddie Raja and one of the girls from Drake's journal.

0F5FXVp.png

We already got Rika in Eye of Indra but there's so many opportunities.. the game would obviously sell like gangbusters with PS5 graphics and exotic locations.
Or, alternatively, U4 ending shown there's close to a hundred adventures we know Nate and Elena had that they could let us play.

There's plenty of fantasy and sci-fi titles out there but nothing like Uncharted, and after that UE5 demo i really need my dose on PS5.

Last edited:

SSfox

there is only like one area with foliage though.

The textures look great. I think the interiors in RE8 are some of the best interiors ive seen. I didnt view them up close though.
Nah TLOU2 is more impressive than RE8 graphic and tech wise, i think in your case you simply are more fan of RE8 art direction than the TLOU2's.

Last edited:

GymWolf

A Joel DLC prequel would be cool. Let the character have it's own moment and move on.
Tbh, i still want tlou3 or a game with that level of gore\realism in his combat system, but they are stuck with these 2 franchise for more than a decade now.

I would love a gore-y fantasy game.

TonyK

Nah TLOU2 is more impressive than RE8 graphic and tech wise, i think in your case you simply are more fan of RE8 art direction than the TLOU2's.
I finished Resident Evil Village yesterday and just after that I started Last of us 2 60fps. First impression is that Resident Evil Village looks more next gen. It's difficult to explain. Maybe is the light or texture resolution, but you feel that Resident is more "advanced" than Last of Us 2, that it looks less PS4ish.

But, as I said, that's the first impression. After a couple of hours in Last of Us 2 you truly feel that The Last of Us is a lot more advanced than Resident. In fact, playing The Last of Us 2 I thought "ok, if this is AAA, then Resident Evil, Demons Souls or Returnal can't be called AAA". I suppose people started to use AAAA to refer games as Last of Us 2 or Red Dead Redemption 2, because they seem made out of this planet.

GuinGuin

Banned
A Joel DLC prequel would be cool. Let the character have it's own moment and move on.

We have a game for people who want Joel to have his moment. It's called TLOU1. The story was always about Ellie. She is the immune one. She is the one that plays the central role in the overall plot.

Last edited:

vivftp

It's just connecting the dots. Not confirmed, but read between the lines.

This info and the info from insiders that I've seen hasn't confirmed or hinted at a TLOU2 Remaster/Remake, but I do also think it's coming.

We know the TLOU Remake is coming courtesy of Jason's article. We also know Factions 2 is coming as Naughty Dog themselves confirmed it was being spun off into its own thing, and Jason also said that production on that was close to finished.

We know that the TLOU Remake was created with the intention of updating the game for the PS5 and both VASG and Naughty Dog have been working on it since around 2019, with Naughty Dog taking on a much larger role once TLOU2 wrapped up. My guess/hope for the TLOU Remake is that it'll have much higher quality character and world assets, raytraced lighting, 3D audio, DualSense support, enemy AI upgrades from TLOU2, motion matching and animation upgrades, UI updates and accessibility options all ported from TLOU2. That will provide a significant upgrade to the game and could potentially be one of the best looking games around if they really go all out.

Now with all the assets being put into TLOU Remake and all of the updated assets that no doubt exist for Factions 2 that's primarily why I think some form of TLOU2 Remake/Remaster exists as well. Not to mention it'd be a bit odd to have the latest entry in the franchise be inferior to the Remake of the original game. I think they're working on everything as a package so TLOU Remake can be bundled with an updated TLOU2 and sold as one complete package. Players will be able to play straight through part 1 and directly into part 2, that's my thinking at least. Now whether that all comes at once or the TLOU2 remaster/remake comes later, that's entirely up in the air at this point.

With the TLOU HBO series coming next year I'd imagine they'd want to get everything out there by then so newcomers to the franchise would have a definitive version to play of the first and second game. Wait and see I suppose. Regardless, I 100% think we'll be seeing these projects (whatever they may be) at Sony's big Summer event.

SlimySnake

I think I have gone through this with VFX veteran and recently made fun of Alex over this. cinematography and art direction is way more important than some tech feature like ray traced ambient occlusion. the whole package is what counts, and RE8 seems to be doing what ND used to do in the PS3 days where they would meticulously pour over detail in every area and really push the art direction.

I admire TLOU2's tech ambitions. I think their motion matching system is simply unmatched and their cutscenes are easily the best looking games out there right now, but RE8 ingame just looks better to me as those screenshots showed. every room feels like a naughty dog room. though like i said, that might change once i get to the island/village sections.

P.S i was using the flamethrower and noticed some fancy flame reflections and GI bounce lighting whenever Abby uses it. It reminded of Alex fawning over Metro exodus as if it's never been done before when devs have been doing stuff like this for almost a decade now.

SlimySnake

why does it take seconds to roll and jump, should be a lot more immediate
I think it's their motionmatching system. I remember how KZ2 shipped with a 181 ms input lag and tech gurus back then speculated that it was due to the animations as well as postprocessing GG had employed to make the game look so good.

I wonder if thats the reason why we got a downgrade in the motionmatching system. That demo was running on a playstation pro so clearly it was possible on consoles, but i wonder if the input lag was well over 200 ms with all those animation layers and they simply had no choice but to downgrade some of that fidelity to get it in a playable state.

they still shipped it at 180 ms on the base ps4 which is crazy considering the pushback kz2 received back in the day for its input lag. i would love to see just how many 60 fps games have an input lag of 129 ms like tlou2.

P.S something occurred to me when playing the building climb section with Lev and Abby. Schrier had talked about how ND had to get rid of many sections in the Abby campaign because they didnt focus test well and had to redo the story to make the new characters (im assuming Abby and Lev) more likeable. This sections feels very forced. They give Abby this fear of heights thats never been alluded to before. Presumably to humanize her. It also gives Lev something to do other than be the victim of hate crimes. But the levels feel almost incomplete and very unlike ND in terms of detail. Other chapters, even the open world chapter, did not look this empty or boring. i think they just rushed these through at the very end of the game's development.

Last edited:
I think I have gone through this with VFX veteran and recently made fun of Alex over this. cinematography and art direction is way more important than some tech feature like ray traced ambient occlusion. the whole package is what counts, and RE8 seems to be doing what ND used to do in the PS3 days where they would meticulously pour over detail in every area and really push the art direction.

I admire TLOU2's tech ambitions. I think their motion matching system is simply unmatched and their cutscenes are easily the best looking games out there right now, but RE8 ingame just looks better to me as those screenshots showed. every room feels like a naughty dog room. though like i said, that might change once i get to the island/village sections.

P.S i was using the flamethrower and noticed some fancy flame reflections and GI bounce lighting whenever Abby uses it. It reminded of Alex fawning over Metro exodus as if it's never been done before when devs have been doing stuff like this for almost a decade now.

I think TLOU2 does have meticulous detail for a last gen game.

RE8 looks better because it's a cross-gen game highly optimized for next-gen. They are using Quixel megascan tech, so the textures are extremely high resolution.

I do agree that RE8 looks better, having played both back-to-back. The Castle section is some extremely next-gen looking stuff and I came away extremely impressed with the game even if it's rough in certain parts.

Some of the character models and effects are extremely good too. Heisenberg looks great. The bee effects on the daughters look insane.

vivftp

P.S something occurred to me when playing the building climb section with Lev and Abby. Schrier had talked about how ND had to get rid of many sections in the Abby campaign because they didnt focus test well and had to redo the story to make the new characters (im assuming Abby and Lev) more likeable. This sections feels very forced. They give Abby this fear of heights thats never been alluded to before. Presumably to humanize her. It also gives Lev something to do other than be the victim of hate crimes. But the levels feel almost incomplete and very unlike ND in terms of detail. Other chapters, even the open world chapter, did not look this empty or boring. i think they just rushed these through at the very end of the game's development.
Wut? They constantly refer to Abby's fear of heights throughout the game leading up to that part. We first see it when we first meet her and she's following Owen to take a look at Jackson, she's scared to cross a narrow ledge over a cliff and Owen has to get her to focus. Then it's mentioned in that scene after Abby, Mel and Manny get ambushed by the Scars and Mel and Abby exit that boat repair shop when they're on the roof of the building. Then it's hinted at in the flashback when Abby and Owen are on the ferris wheel and he goads her into jumping after him.

Not to mention there's a subtle in-game indication of her fear of heights every single time the player moves her to the edge of a long drop. The camera takes on a tunnel-vision kind of look and Abby becomes visibly and audibly nervous. All that is just off the top of my head, I'm sure there were more hints and indications of her fear of heights leading up to that particular scene on the cranes.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Wut? They constantly refer to Abby's fear of heights throughout the game leading up to that part. We first see it when we first meet her and she's following Owen to take a look at Jackson, she's scared to cross a narrow ledge over a cliff and Owen has to get her to focus. Then it's mentioned in that scene after Abby, Mel and Manny get ambushed by the Scars and Mel and Abby exit that boat repair shop when they're on the roof of the building. Then it's hinted at in the flashback when Abby and Owen are on the ferris wheel and he goads her into jumping after him.

Not to mention there's a subtle in-game indication of her fear of heights every single time the player moves her to the edge of a long drop. The camera takes on a tunnel-vision kind of look and Abby becomes visually and audibly nervous. All that is just off the top of my head, I'm sure there were more hints and indications of her fear of heights leading up to that particular scene on the cranes.
I see. I stand corrected.

I think it's their motionmatching system. I remember how KZ2 shipped with a 181 ms input lag and tech gurus back then speculated that it was due to the animations as well as postprocessing GG had employed to make the game look so good.

I wonder if thats the reason why we got a downgrade in the motionmatching system. That demo was running on a playstation pro so clearly it was possible on consoles, but i wonder if the input lag was well over 200 ms with all those animation layers and they simply had no choice but to downgrade some of that fidelity to get it in a playable state.

they still shipped it at 180 ms on the base ps4 which is crazy considering the pushback kz2 received back in the day for its input lag. i would love to see just how many 60 fps games have an input lag of 129 ms like tlou2.

Yeah TLOU2 clearly had bloat. It's a 25-30 hour game, with two full-game length chapters. It's an interesting approach as a one-off, but it comes across as not very cohesive and it hurts the game. The abby sections just feel stitched together (although admittedly some of them are the best in the game, like the hotel descent). The last 20% of the game is completely unnecessary and the end boss is just dumb. I get that the story is about revenge but this just seems absurd.

They would have been far better off chopping the game in half and more fully fleshing out Ellie's portion. Make it a 15-20 hour game instead.

I am also getting a bit tired of the "walk and talk". It really makes ND games painful to play through multiple times. Other games strike a far better balance. God of War, for instance. Obviously the single cut camera keeps you in the moment, but it's also far less jarring.

ND really needs to do more with their next IP. They are basically relying on narrative alone to push their games, and they aren't doing much of anything to really improve other aspects of their design. They are great productions, but merely good games underneath.

Shmunter

Lots of dissecting of plot lines by the chaps above. And it’s good to see. Only a game with this depth could inspire such critical discussions.

Personally on balance, the game is a triumph in the video game space, and makes me wish that there were more devs capable of such mastery.

sncvsrtoip

I dont think its my tv. I just think the place where I am at the moment is the least attractive part of the game. Your screenshots are mostly from Ellie's campaign, but like I mentioned in my post, I am right where Abby meets Yara and Lev and while the forest section looked stunning, pretty much everything after that is just drab and ugly. the boat lighting was very dull. the shipyard at night didnt look impressive. even the morning scene in the shipyard didnt look good. im now at the part where you climb the building and there is just this very lame looking fog surrounding that area that just doesnt look good.

E19rvf5X0AI72eJ

E19rvvoWEAEU7k-

contrast it with the fog in this scene for instance.

E181a5kXMAAFypF

It's thick and the volumetric lighting is far more impressive.

I also think the interiors look way better in RE8.

E181g3GWQAEMmG0

E181bJLX0AI8xpu

E181am0XsAg99nU

E19r4HZXsAUOQTm

E19r3imWYAUvmCW

E19r309WEAEdElZ

The only time RE8 looks bad or underwhelming is during the dusk setting when the lighting feels baked and dull and starts to show cracks in the game's environment detail. But thankfully you dont spend too much time during that setting.

Here are a few screenshots I just took a few minutes ago. Unlike your screenshots, these dont look particularly good. I dont think its because of the engine or because ND isnt talented, i just think these Abby chapters just dont look as good. I am looking forward to the village raid in 60 fps because that is easily the best looking chapter in the game after the first few chapters with Ellie.

E19v7ibWYAIU2z2

E19rv_IWUAUf4Ro

E19rvOPWUAM-VZv

E19v7RTWQAE2_55
imho only castle looks really good in re8 and only if you don't look close because texures are really low, whole snowy village was far from impressive, also they made regression in decapitating bodies and their physics since re2r (polish video but short and you will see difference) and almost no shooting destruction in environment, also in re2r and 3r we got dynamic shadows from flashlight, no in re8, I liked 80% of this game (realy bad end) and generally game but suprised that people think its amazing looker

SlimySnake

Read the rest of the thread. Cutscenes look great. some areas look great. but the game is very uneven especially in Abby's campaign which is what im playing through right now.

E19rvf5X0AI72eJ

E19rvvoWEAEU7k-

E19rv_IWUAUf4Ro

E19v7RTWQAE2_55

E181UK8WYAQlyTy

Coming from returnal, Miles, RE8 and especially Demon Souls, it does look dated in those areas.

dOgqVEN.gif

ibywRCs.gif

7221ed1618205b636f8b7a10c5a9cf83cc4f0718.gifv

138af1f16050850d8d2f6961a72a4a694cc406b8.gif

SlimySnake

imho only castle looks really good in re8 and only if you don't look close because texures are really low, whole snowy village was far from impressive, also they made regression in decapitating bodies and their physics since re2r (polish video but short and you will see difference) and almost no shooting destruction in environment, also in re2r and 3r we got dynamic shadows from flashlight, no in re8, I liked 80% of this game (realy bad end) and generally game but suprised that people think its amazing looker

oh man i didnt even realize dismemberment from re2 was gone. thats disappointing, but i really like how powerful some girls like magnum and shotgun feel after you fully upgrade them.

the wolf mini boss gets thrown back after every magnum hit. it feels awesome.

and yeah, the lack of interactivity in environments is a big miss. I am so done with this gen and cross gen games in general. as good as those interiors look, i would like to completely fucking destroy them. give me that over ray tracing.

Kupfer

Sorry man, i'm only doing this because after posting them i was told TLOUII looks better than any next-gen game.

JQVNPzs.png

m6RhqF4.png

aVRdfKc.png

K7hiIuC.png

XQsPTQk.png

eIroJTS.png

Gb5HTKS.png

m17gmdK.png

bbF6iOo.png

bMNvtWX.png

EWT1zFC.png

N2b4G9A.png

nUBbcRE.png

CvyAMwY.png

x7ywkGk.png

gTFIfY6.png

I think you should change you panel, or at least calibrate it. The aquarium is one the most impressive locations in the game.. seems amost made just to show off their updated glass tech.

Thank you. These are perfect examples of how much effort the developer has put into the technology. Here you even marvel at banalities like throwing a stone through a pane of glass; in no game have I ever experienced such good shard physics. I think Alyx can do it quite well, but I've never had the chance to try it out.
I'm playing it on the PS5 right now and I'm still blown away by the variety and level of detail, animations, textures, physics, materials and lighting. The game could easily pass for a next-gen title the way it is on the PS5.

Last edited:
This info and the info from insiders that I've seen hasn't confirmed or hinted at a TLOU2 Remaster/Remake, but I do also think it's coming.

We know the TLOU Remake is coming courtesy of Jason's article. We also know Factions 2 is coming as Naughty Dog themselves confirmed it was being spun off into its own thing, and Jason also said that production on that was close to finished.

We know that the TLOU Remake was created with the intention of updating the game for the PS5 and both VASG and Naughty Dog have been working on it since around 2019, with Naughty Dog taking on a much larger role once TLOU2 wrapped up. My guess/hope for the TLOU Remake is that it'll have much higher quality character and world assets, raytraced lighting, 3D audio, DualSense support, enemy AI upgrades from TLOU2, motion matching and animation upgrades, UI updates and accessibility options all ported from TLOU2. That will provide a significant upgrade to the game and could potentially be one of the best looking games around if they really go all out.

Now with all the assets being put into TLOU Remake and all of the updated assets that no doubt exist for Factions 2 that's primarily why I think some form of TLOU2 Remake/Remaster exists as well. Not to mention it'd be a bit odd to have the latest entry in the franchise be inferior to the Remake of the original game. I think they're working on everything as a package so TLOU Remake can be bundled with an updated TLOU2 and sold as one complete package. Players will be able to play straight through part 1 and directly into part 2, that's my thinking at least. Now whether that all comes at once or the TLOU2 remaster/remake comes later, that's entirely up in the air at this point.

With the TLOU HBO series coming next year I'd imagine they'd want to get everything out there by then so newcomers to the franchise would have a definitive version to play of the first and second game. Wait and see I suppose. Regardless, I 100% think we'll be seeing these projects (whatever they may be) at Sony's big Summer event.

I agree with everything you've said.

Top Bottom