• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Part 3 Has a Story Outline written, isn't currently in development (yet).

DonJorginho

Banned
Naughty Dog has written a story outline for The Last of Us: Part 3, but isn't making the sequel right now. Creative director Neil Druckmann says he hopes it can "one day see the light of day."

Speaking on an episode of the Script Apart podcast about the writing of The Last of Us Part 2, Druckmann touched briefly on the possibility of a sequel:

"I don’t know how much I want to reveal... [co-writer Halley Gross] and I did write an outline for a story, that we're not making – but I hope one day can see the light of day – that explores a little bit what happens after this game. We’ll see.”

Druckmann says there's been "quite a bit" of discussion internally about a Part 3, but pointed out how much work is involved in making a game like this a reality: "These games take so much to make. [Part 2], I've been thinking about it for seven years, between when the last game came out and when this came out [...] You want to make sure you’re jazzed by the idea that you have, [that] it feels like it’s challenging.

"We’ve now had two games that I feel speak to something universal as well as telling a very personal story for these characters. With one game, there’s no pattern of what a franchise is. With two games, now there’s starting to be a pattern – now I feel like there are some structural and thematic themes you'd have to stick to if you're making a third game."

It seems that Naughty Dog is currently exploring what to do next. "After we finish one of our big titles," Druckmann explained, "we take a long time to explore different ideas, whether it’s going to be Last of Us III, whether it's something new, whether there's some old franchise we want to go back to. I like to fully explore all of those, then look at, like: okay, we have all of these ideas in front of us. As a studio, what do we want to commit to? Because it’s a huge commitment – monetary, time, passion, talent, so you think about all the opportunity costs that come with that."

Moonjt9

I mean the end of part 2 left it wide open for a third game, and I won’t lie, I finished that game wanting to keep going and see what happens next. I’d be down for a part 3, though I do like the idea of them doing something different first as a bit of a palette cleanser.

The Last of Us is in my top 5 games of all time, but Part II just wrecked my interest for more parts in the series.

It would be nice to get something laid back from Naughty Dog.
Make a game about a pot smoker who's taken some acid and he needs to get some munchies from the local mega market. The road is full of dangers, but you overcome them with the help of your friends (who aren't trans_lesbian_black_alfasaurus_white_gaymen).

Ellery

Always save the best for last and we know our drooling will run rivers in the late cycle of the PS5 when this game hits and looks like a PS6 title.

It seems like Naughty Dog has made TLOU their flagship franchise and I am glad they are not rushing it, but saving it for a later when they mastered the PS5 hardware and will bring it to full glory.

Also super excited for whatever they are working on right now. Maybe we get to see something new from Naughty Dog this year or next year announced?

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
If they do TLOU Part III I'd like to see Ellie as the sole protagonist. And as someone mentioned, get back to the infected being the main focus they should be terrifying in the next game

A fresh new IP would be better, though I'd be more than fine with a new Uncharted

Bartski

Gold Member
I doubt this will be their next big game, especially if the part one remake is real and with Factions 2 in progress they must be really burned out with it.

I wouldn't mind seeing them doing something small and silly next, and then this:

Always save the best for last and we know our drooling will run rivers in the late cycle of the PS5 when this game hits and looks like a PS6 title.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Id like them to take a break from the last of us for abit. And uncharted for that matter, i would love to see a fantastical (as in not grounded) new ip from them. They are so talented, but they have been making the same games for a while. Last of us was fresh in 2013 after 3 uncharted games, i want a fresh new ip from them like that was

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Id like them to take a break from the last of us for abit. And uncharted for that matter, i would love to see a new, fantastical (as in not grounded) new ip from them. They are so talented, but they have been making the same games for a while. Last of us was fresh in 2013 after 3 uncharted games, i want a fresh new ip from them like that was
Yep. Something fun, colourful with humour, like the good old days. Games dont always have to be shooting or killing.

DJTaurus

Nobody cares. Preorders of TLOU3 will unveil the disappointment of TLOU1 fanbase….. this time we all know his true intentions and he cannot fool us again. He also can’t do sth even more shocking to trigger us and purchase his abomination. To kill Abby ? To kill Ellie ? NOBODY gives a dumb f….. most of the gamers don’t care about the fate of these characters. The man we all loved and cried for is DOA.

Last edited:

John Bilbo

My guess is the protagonist will be the boyish girl with no hair from the religious community with Abby as her mentor.

Ezquimacore

Banned
maxresdefault.jpg
The bad guy is gonna be the mother of the rabbit

Md Ray

It's definitely time for a new IP. They've been carrying Uncharted and The Last of Us since PS3-era and we haven't had any new IP throughout PS4 gen from them.

Duchess

Going to repeat my desire that this is the closing part of the story, and sees Ellie fulfilling her destiny / desire to save the world from the plague, in one way or another.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Id like them to take a break from the last of us for abit. And uncharted for that matter, i would love to see a fantastical (as in not grounded) new ip from them. They are so talented, but they have been making the same games for a while. Last of us was fresh in 2013 after 3 uncharted games, i want a fresh new ip from them like that was
Too late, journalists made them believe they developed "the citizen of kane" of video games. So be excited for the next edgy melodrama.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Noooooo. I wanted closure. I get that they are exhausted from creating such an emotionally draining game, but so are we. We need Ellie's redemption, and we need closure after such an exhausting game. Cant wait another 7 years for a sequel.

But then again, this means they are likely working on a new IP which is a good thing. Lets hope it doesnt take more than 3 years.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Noooooo. I wanted closure. I get that they are exhausted from creating such an emotionally draining game, but so are we. We need Ellie's redemption, and we need closure after such an exhausting game. Cant wait another 7 years for a sequel.

But then again, this means they are likely working on a new IP which is a good thing. Lets hope it doesnt take more than 3 years.
they are working on a new IP right now, what they choose to do after that game is done will either be Part 3 or another new game. However one does question if they have a rough story planned out already it would be easy to go to Part 3 since its already somewhat planned, compared to starting from straight scratch.

Top Bottom