• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 2: Survivor Difficulty

BluRayHiDef

Banned
yeah so did I on Survivor, but not Survivor+ (NG+ survivor) which amps shit up much further. Clickers seem to move faster than your max upgraded crouch speed and they only stop to echolocate I guess so if you move towards them they detect you. Dunno maybe I just tried many times in the beginning and gave up on it in favor of headshots

I thought that Survivor+ was Survivor mode but with the benefit of upgrades and special items that you've acquired in a previous playthrough. I didn't know that it's a separate difficulty level relative to Survivor.

Keihart

It seems that rushing them at the stairway before all three of them could exit it prevented all three of them from swarming you at once; doing so kept the gun wielder at bay long enough for you to take out one of the other two.
Yeah, my first instinct was to rush and try to use the smoke screen.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I was surprised that now, it wasn't the case in U4, the restart encounter option was also pretty fast. So i have restarted the shit out of some encounters to experiment and to complete them in one go without the checkpoints.
I played Uncharted 4 on the highest difficulty the first time. That ship graveyard was the toughest moment of the series. I tried for an hour or two for a week and couldn't do it. I was hammered drunk and moved it to normal and finished the game. I didn't replay it for 2 years. When I started a new game in the highest level again I was surprised to find out the cheats carried over (never did for higher difficulties on Uncharted before) and I abused it to finish the graveyard section. Finally got my platinum.

Roni

Gold Member
I'm playing the game on Survivor difficulty and so far the gameplay has been a rollercoaster of enjoyment and frustration. The consistent lack of resources is a pain, but in environments and scenarios in which I can stealthily kill enemies one by one with the knife, I can get by without resources (though I still die a lot). However, there are other environments and scenarios in which it's hard to be stealthy because there are so many enemies patrolling therein, which is sometimes compounded by the presence of dogs.

At the moment I am at a very frustrating part of the game, at which you have to escape from the basement of a decrepit house while detected by the WLF, who are actively pursuing you and know exactly where you are. This is the part just before you encounter Jesse (which I know because I have watched video walkthroughs).

I am stuck here, because three WLF members swarm me in the basement, attacking me simultaneously. Whenever I manage to run past them and get upstairs, I'm attacked by a fourth member whom I literally cannot outrun; the game is designed to make fighting her unavoidable. When I engage her, the other three come up and assist her, and the rest is history.

I have died at this part perhaps 50 times. I'm frustrated and demotivated. I have only one round of ammunition for a handgun and one arrow.

Fuck this game for being so difficult. It honestly feels cheap.

Have you got a bottle or a brick? Throw it at that bitch's head and strike her for massive damage. Also, had no idea you couldn't outrun her. I thought by jumping from the window would trigger the cutscene no questions asked...

HotPocket69

Banned
I'm playing the game on Survivor difficulty and so far the gameplay has been a rollercoaster of enjoyment and frustration. The consistent lack of resources is a pain, but in environments and scenarios in which I can stealthily kill enemies one by one with the knife, I can get by without resources (though I still die a lot). However, there are other environments and scenarios in which it's hard to be stealthy because there are so many enemies patrolling therein, which is sometimes compounded by the presence of dogs.

At the moment I am at a very frustrating part of the game, at which you have to escape from the basement of a decrepit house while detected by the WLF, who are actively pursuing you and know exactly where you are. This is the part just before you encounter Jesse (which I know because I have watched video walkthroughs).

I am stuck here, because three WLF members swarm me in the basement, attacking me simultaneously. Whenever I manage to run past them and get upstairs, I'm attacked by a fourth member whom I literally cannot outrun; the game is designed to make fighting her unavoidable. When I engage her, the other three come up and assist her, and the rest is history.

I have died at this part perhaps 50 times. I'm frustrated and demotivated. I have only one round of ammunition for a handgun and one arrow.

Fuck this game for being so difficult. It honestly feels cheap.

Just drop the difficulty down a notch dude. No big deal. It’s not like there’s trophies for beating it on higher difficulties.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I'm playing Part 2 on Survival difficulty I would say, it much tougher than original game. In the first even on survival, enemies much more often drop bullets but in Part 2 they barely drop one, you could run in to encounter with almost no bullets or resources.
This shit always bugged me. You are holding a gun and the minute that I kill you at least the one bullet in that gun falls out and disappears?

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Have you got a bottle or a brick? Throw it at that bitch's head and strike her for massive damage. Also, had no idea you couldn't outrun her. I thought by jumping from the window would trigger the cutscene no questions asked...
I managed to progress; check out my second post in this thread. Also, yea, you can't outrun her; if you run past her, she'll grab you from behind, put you in a chokehold, and snap your neck if you can't break free.

Roni

Gold Member
I managed to progress; check out my second post in this thread. Also, yea, you can't outrun her; if you run past her, she'll grab you from behind, put you in a chokehold, and snap your neck if you can't break free.

Good to know, man. Thanks for the heads up, also glad you made it through! Ballsy playing on Survivor! I finished it on HARD first, am playing with Custom difficulty now for NG+. Will go for a fresh run on Survivor after that!

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
I thought that Survivor+ was Survivor mode but with the benefit of upgrades and special items that you've acquired in a previous playthrough. I didn't know that it's a separate difficulty level relative to Survivor.

that's all it says but it sure did feel like it

94aoyfP.jpg

Strategize

Every setting on survivor, expect resources, which was on Hard. That was my first playthrough. I started on full survivor but the lack of resources was a little too brutal.

Survivor on this game was way harder than the first one.
1) Less brick/bottle cheese.
2) Much better A.I
3) Bow doesn't kill in one shot to the chest.
4) Smarter encounter design.
5) New enemy types/abilities.

Last edited:

Skyr

The Pirate ship/beach level on Uncharted 4 on crushing legit is by far, far the hardest moment in any Naughty Dog game IMO.
True. That shit made me actually rage.
For me uncharted 4 on crushing was way harder than tlou 1 on grounded+ or tlou 2 on survivor.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Every setting on survivor, expect resources, which was on Hard. That was my first playthrough. I started on full survivor but the lack of resources was a little too brutal.

Survivor on this game was way harder than the first one.
1) Less brick/bottle cheese.
2) Much better A.I
3) Bow doesn't kill in one shot to the chest.
4) Smarter encounter design.
5) New enemy types/abilities.

I can't wait to try this mode. Even if you took all resources away (everything) surely the stealth kill and then hide/repeat would make it easy? Add in going prone and been able to go back to stealth even when spotted.

All specualtion on my behalf however till i get round to it though. (Playing on hard now, grounded on PS5).

bender

What time is it?
Survivor is actually pretty easy compared to the last game. You can cheese the overgenerous checkpoint system and resources are plentiful when you compare it to Grounded in the original. The only tough spot I remember was as Abby in the "haunted house" . The only time I felt resource crunch (ammo) was an infected section in a warehouse with your squad mates.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
True. That shit made me actually rage.
For me uncharted 4 on crushing was way harder than tlou 1 on grounded+ or tlou 2 on survivor.

There is actually a really helpful tip that reinforcements dont come until the last guy on the ship is killed. So if you leave him, you can mop up the area for ammo. Its still incredibly tough though because then your dealing with mini gun enemies and then the final push inside the second boat. One mistake and your history.

For me the hardest challenges were in order;

1: Uncharted 4: Shipwreck Level
2: The Last of Us 1: Plaza Level (Ellie Sniping)
3: Uncharted 1: Water Room

Can't comment on TLOU2 yet.

Keihart

I can't wait to try this mode. Even if you took all resources away (everything) surely the stealth kill and then hide/repeat would make it easy? Add in going prone and been able to go back to stealth even when spotted.

All specualtion on my behalf however till i get round to it though. (Playing on hard now, grounded on PS5).
if you abuse the checkpoints, maybe. Clearing every encounter without checkpoints it's quite hard even when trying to stealth your way through.

Strategize

I turned the stealth down to hard in one section, and immediately noticed it was easier to lose enemies.

I suppose you could still play that way, but it'll take you like 15 mins per encounter, also you can't grab people from the front in survivor.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
if you abuse the checkpoints, maybe. Clearing every encounter without checkpoints it's quite hard even when trying to stealth your way through.

How can you abuse them? I wouldn't change anything in the difficulty options etc. I think the slower you take it, the easier it would be.

Hostile_18

Banned
I turned the stealth down to hard in one section, and immediately noticed it was easier to lose enemies.

I suppose you could still play that way, but it'll take you like 15 mins per encounter, also you can't grab people from the front in survivor.

Oh im use to it taking a while. Those 3 scenarios i mentioned above took me hours each. It was always enjoyable though.

Neff

Seems easier as resources are plentiful and tons more options.

Hard gives you way too much stuff. So much so that you feel actively encouraged to engage the enemy just so you can pick things up. I basically had all of everything, all the time, and finished the game fully stocked.

Survivor's supply distribution ratio is just right. Exploration is essential, and supplies are scarce enough that your crafting decisions will matter.

Keihart

How can you abuse them? I wouldn't change anything in the difficulty options etc. I think the slower you take it, the easier it would be.
if you kill a couple guys and then wait enough, the game will create a checkpoint. There are also checkpoints before ending the encounter if cross certain part of the arena.
I personally restart the encounter if i activate a checkpoint, that was one of my favorite features of grounded.

I started the game on normal but bumped it up to Hard pretty quickly and overall, its really not too bad except for a couple spots. I almost always have enough resources to brute force my way through if I really have to. I will probably give survivor a shot on my 2nd playthrough but I know there is going to be a few spots that give me trouble. Also, fuck dogs. I just fire bomb them as soon as I can.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
The whistling by the scars was handy when I knew they were down to the last one or if there were two at least.

If you can find a sweet spot where you know where the clickers move and scream so you crawl behind to knife them is good. They felt less of a threat in this game than the first one. Stalkers were the worst.

Throw a brick in the direction of the enemies when infected are around and let them thin out the numbers. Catch a soldier from behind and walk into a clicker.

Headshot the dog minder in an area you don't go to and see the dog confused and staying there is handy too. Or if you can lay a trip mine in the path the dog will take to hunt you.

Last edited:

Skyr

There is actually a really helpful tip that reinforcements dont come until the last guy on the ship is killed. So if you leave him, you can mop up the area for ammo. Its still incredibly tough though because then your dealing with mini gun enemies and then the final push inside the second boat. One mistake and your history.

For me the hardest challenges were in order;

1: Uncharted 4: Shipwreck Level
2: The Last of Us 1: Plaza Level (Ellie Sniping)
3: Uncharted 1: Water Room

Can't comment on TLOU2 yet.
Weirdly enough I beat the plaza level that you mentioned first try on my grounded+ playthrough two weeks ago.
What gave me big trouble was the level where you are sniped at from the top floor of that house and have to make your way around to it while fighting additional enemies.
That sniper got me so many times because I missed to watch my angle while fighting the other guys.
Eventually found the right strategy but ye was pretty tough.

Bryank75

Banned
Got all 100% trophies in The Last of Us Remastered which includes all the DLC which required you to do Left Behind and most importantly Grounded Mode + which was the most difficutly thing. Jumped into TLOU 2 at Moderate difficult for sake of story enjoyment and casual playing.

Due to how gameplay has evolved and how much bigger the levels are, I have a feeling that Grounded Mode in this game will be a complete joke. It's much easier than the first game imo due to your arsenal and better stealth
I want them to leave TLOU behind and make a full stealth game... something like Splinter Cell back in its first incarnation. Shadow and light having more of an effect and more acrobatic movements.

A more realistic blend of intel gathering and counter espionage than the action orientated blacklist.

vpance

I started the game on normal but bumped it up to Hard pretty quickly and overall, its really not too bad except for a couple spots. I almost always have enough resources to brute force my way through if I really have to. I will probably give survivor a shot on my 2nd playthrough but I know there is going to be a few spots that give me trouble. Also, fuck dogs. I just fire bomb them as soon as I can.

Fellow dog fire bomber! *fist bump*

MrS

Banned
Survivor plus is still a little bit too easy but it definitely brings that grounded gameplay. Enemy AI, in Hillcrest in particular, was incredible. Gotta think out every attack and plan routes etc. Sometimes it's better to not even engage enemies as it will be too much of a drain on your resources. As I've said previously, survivor mode brings out the best in the gameplay mechanics and is surely the best way to experience the game.

Your problem, OP, is that you've spunked your ammo and crafting materials away. Just restart the chapter/encounter and try to be more stealthy using bricks and the like.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Fellow dog fire bomber! *fist bump*
I don't understand the hate people have for having to kill dogs in the game. If they didn't attack, I wouldn't attack but fuck it I have to defend myself. You can like dogs and still be at peace with killing those evil bastards in the game.

vpance

I don't understand the hate people have for having to kill dogs in the game. If they didn't attack, I wouldn't attack but fuck it I have to defend myself. You can like dogs and still be at peace with killing those evil bastards in the game.

The dog is like one of the most threatening enemies in the game. And it’s hard to pass up the easy 2 for 1 with a molotov.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I try to kill dogs before focusing on human enemies; I prefer to use the arrow.

carlosrox

Banned
Fortunately, though, I had reached a checkpoint and was able to simply start from there upon reloading the level.

I actually find it super annoying and unsatisfying when this happens.

I basically ran through a nice encounter cuz I didn't realize I was at the exit. I wanted to go back and do it again so I didn't miss so much stuff and skip a bunch of guys.

Generally I like to kill everyone. More gameplay!

Yeah, the game actually requires you to run around the map to kill guys instead of just staying in one area continuously - I learned that the more I played.

It's Guerrilla Warfare, the game, essentially.

Which I like it a lot.

My best moments is having Ellie prone for a lengthy period of time after setting of a "terrorist attack" (trip mines set, molotov at the ready), and just waiting for an enemy to walk in where I am and searching for me, or someone walk into my view as I lay waiting with a rifle at a high spot looking for the last 2 or three enemies.

It tickles my balls when you manage to play out an entire battle in an articulated manner.

Top Bottom