• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 2 Multiplayer Will Become An Stand-alone Game

quickwhips

Reflecting on this i think this will hurt the multiplayer community of the game. A seperate games means less people will give it a try as most ps4 players are afraid of mutiplayer only experiences.

Reflecting on this i think this will hurt the multiplayer community of the game. A seperate games means less people will give it a try as most ps4 players are afraid of mutiplayer only experiences.
How when the people playing will be the ones who got it? And you have a point, overwatch and Rainbow Six did horribly on ps4

quickwhips

How when the people playing will be the ones who got it? And you have a point, overwatch and Rainbow Six did horribly on ps4
If you read on here all ps4 fans care about is single player. So a multi only game based on a single player mostly fan base may pass. The multi community was not large for TLOU. It depends if the game is stand alone and included or just stand alone. Just wait and see i guess.

If you read on here all ps4 fans care about is single player. So a multi only game based on a single player mostly fan base may pass. The multi community was not large for TLOU. It depends if the game is stand alone and included or just stand alone. Just wait and see i guess.
Is the only metric you're using anecdotes you read on the internet as opposed to actual real life you can look it up data?

Please let us know the numbers of anything you said.

Last edited:

sendit

The fact their saying it's entirely new game, the fact they didn't say it would be free in the tweet has me thinking they'll double charge. How are people fucking defending this practice? It costs money! No shit! Every game in existence with SP&MP costs money but they don't charge us for two separate games.

ND multiplayer games are some of the worst if not worst in the industry for microtransactions and pay to win for the hundreds and hundreds of items they sell. No idea how they get a free pass on this trash, but just will not surprise me if they decide to double charge for the game. Wont be purchasing so wont get upset about it however.

Agreed. Because I was coddled as a kid and highly insecure of myself. I too would like them to reassure that the multiplayer will be free.

Agreed. Because I was coddled as a kid and highly insecure of myself. I too would like them to reassure that the multiplayer will be free.
I too needed everything spelled out for me before the person doing the explaining knew what they were explaining. I always thought my Voltron figure was trying to get me even if my parents said it was an inanimate object.

Klayzer

The tweet says they had worked in the mp plus they said before dozen of times TLOU2 will include MP.

Now few months before release they say that the MP they created become so big that they wont include it on TLOU2 anymore and instead will release it as a new game.

And unbelievable... it seems fine for some here lol

What I hate in competition happening in house with my platform choice... of course I won't be polite to them.
It is ridiculous.
I'm totally with you on this one etho. Seems pretty scummy to wait and announce no mp for it only a few months away from release. Maybe they will add it later like GTA5 did.

I'm totally with you on this one etho. Seems pretty scummy to wait and announce no mp for it only a few months away from release. Maybe they will add it later like GTA5 did.
How is something scummy when you don't even know the particulars? Is pre offended a new thing?

Fuck snowflakes. Delicate flowers seems more apropos.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Wondering how someone got "stand alone game" from that tweet. Reading comprehension or just grasping at straws?
The tweet clearly says a new game not part of The Last of Us Part II.

Get the fact... ND is saying no MP will part of TLOU2 so the only other possibility is a new game aka standalone.

You don't even need advanced reading comprehension lol.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
How is the mp axed when they said the scope of the mp has grown and be released on it's own? How are you not seeing the contradiction in what you're arguing? Can we get a price point, if any, before you run around screaming fire?
If you have something being developed for a game and after they says it won't release anymore and it ideia Will be used for a new game.

That is pretty much axed or cut... your choice.

It is part of GTA... that is why you keep confusing apple with oranges.

There won't be a MP mode part of TLOU2 like it happemed with GTA.
You talking mangoes bro. When and where are TBD. You using that patented jump to conclusions may doesn't make anything clearer.

And that whole GTAO thing being in the game WAS ADDED LATER

ethomaz

Banned
You talking mangoes bro. When and where are TBD. You using that patented jump to conclusions may doesn't make anything clearer.

And that whole GTAO thing being in the game WAS ADDED LATER
You are really not doing any favor to you lol

GTAV: SP and MP anounced, SP com first, MP a month after.

TLOU2: SP announced, MP confirmed, MP axed from the game. There is no delay in TLOU2 case... MP won't be part of the game.

The ideias from the cut MP in TLOU2 is planned to give birth to anew game.

These are facts do stop to create assumptions that doesn't exists.

Last edited:

Klayzer

How is something scummy when you don't even know the particulars? Is pre offended a new thing?

Fuck snowflakes. Delicate flowers seems more apropos.
You don't know the particulars either yet you're here red-assing over others take on it. I'll never understand why people get so upset when someone doesn't have the same opinion as them on a topic.

You don't know the particulars either yet you're here red-assing over others take on it. I'll never understand why people get so upset when someone doesn't have the same opinion as them on a topic.
A little inrospect goes along way. I know I don't know particulars that's exactly why i dont get worked up over shit that's literally made up out of nowhere. As of this writing, waiting to see what moves are made is the best course of action full stop. Making up doomsday scenarios so i can be angry now only to possibly look stupid in the future seems like a losers game.

You are really not doing any favor to you lol

GTAV: SP and MP anounced, SP com first, MP a month after.

TLOU2: SP announced, MP confirmed, MP axed from the game. There is no delay in TLOU2 case... MP won't be part of the game.

The ideias from the cut MP in TLOU2 is planned to give birth to anew game.

These are facts do stop to create assumptions that doesn't exists.
So the Mp wasn't announced but confirmed in you're own words until today? Do you think Savage Starlight is the separate MP game they're talking about? Guess what the confirmation for Factions that you keep harping on, it just got double confirmed in the tweet you incessantly complain about. Did you want it or not?

ethomaz

Banned
So the Mp wasn't announced but confirmed in you're own words until today? Do you think Savage Starlight is the separate MP game they're talking about? Guess what the confirmation for Factions that you keep harping on, it just got double confirmed in the tweet you incessantly complain about. Did you want it or not?
E3 2018 they confirmed MP as part of TLOU2.
The tweet today says they axed it from TLOU2.

You have no ideia of what are you talking about to even start a discussion... if you don't know the subject stay out of the discussion or go Google it.

Last edited:

Klayzer

A little inrospect goes along way. I know I don't know particulars that's exactly why i dont get worked up over shit that's literally made up out of nowhere. As of this writing, waiting to see what moves are made is the best course of action full stop. Making up doomsday scenarios so i can be angry now only to possibly look stupid in the future seems like a losers game.
Who hell said it would be a doomsday outcome? All I have read was users being dissatisfied with the "current" no mp statement. You're the only one bringing drama to the topic.

E3 2018 they confirmed MP as part of TLOU2.
The tweet says they axed it from TLOU2.

You have no ideia of what are you talking about to even start a discussion... if you don't know the subject stay out of the discussion or go Google it.
Can you stop deflecting and just understand that confirming MP for a game and the release of said MP are two different things? If this whatever it may be is never released you have a point. If this whatever it may be charges people who got the base game to pay for it, you have a point. Until then you are complaining about the things you think and not the facts.

ethomaz

Banned
Can you stop deflecting and just understand that confirming MP for a game and the release of said MP are two different things? If this whatever it may be is never released you have a point. If this whatever it may be charges people who got the base game to pay for it, you have a point. Until then you are complaining about the things you think and not the facts.
That is why people are mad.
Promises and under delivering.
We are back to the first post you quoted from me lol

You keep in circles without arguments.

Last edited:
Who hell said it would be a doomsday outcome? All I have read was users being dissatisfied with the "current" no mp statement. You're the only one bringing drama to the topic.
I'm the only one bringing drama? I guess the initial this is greed and corruption post mean nothing. It's me saying can we get some details and stop making up controversy is the true drama.

And how can people be dissatisfied with a current no MP statement after the separate MP statement?

That is why people are mad.
Promises and under delivering.
We are back to the first post you quoted from me lol

You keep in circles without arguments.
How can it under deliver before it's delivered?
Stop just hearing people talk about fallacies and actually understand them. People are always mad, just look at the reaction to the actual game. Nothing I said was circular, how could it be when I. Saying wait for more info?

ethomaz

Banned
How can it under deliver before it's delivered?
Stop just hearing people talk about fallacies and actually understand them. People are always mad, just look at the reaction to the actual game. Nothing I said was circular, how could it be when I. Saying wait for more info?
Promises = TLOU2 will have a MP mode
Under delivering = MP mode won't be part of TLOU2 anymore

Do you need a picture?

Last edited:

sendit

I feel like people are faulting this game just to have something to complain about. Red Dead Redemption 2 did not have multiplayer at release. GTA5 did not have multiplayer at release. Infact you could consider GTA5 Online/RDR2 Online completely separate games from the story.

Last edited:
cant say im too excited about this model, i've never really heard of anything like this, and i fear this could be an industry standard in the future, i don't really see how people can defend this, i mean if they tack on a side story ala uncharted lost legacy then they could justify it, but if it's just the multiplayer and nothing else it's going to be a tough sell, i absolutely loved the multiplayer in the first game, it was my favorite multiplayer experience of last gen, but even im hesitant to throw more money at this franchise because i don't want to encourage this type of model becoming the industry standard, even if they decide to release it for 30 bucks or so

people need to realize that if this stand alone multiplayer succeeds it will encourage other companies to attempt the same business model, consumers have a lot more power than they think and we can stop this dead in its tracks, unless of course you want to pay twice for a product that has always been included in the base game, the only people defending this are on the naughty dog payroll imo, oh and you better believe there will be micro transactions out the ass for the multiplayer title

Last edited:

Keihart

With a pinch of common sense you can imagine that the game is not shipping with mp because they want to land that February 2020 release since they are already miss Holliday 2019.
I think this is going to be even better than having them giving us a half baked mp because they had to release by February no matter what.

If they charge for it or not, who knows, it's in their best interest to make it a f2p gas and triying to somehow tie the sp content with it to move more people into both modes keeping the sp relevant for a longer period of time in sales. Games getting updates after release has being a pretty successful tactic to extend sales in games this Gen. It's a no brainer really, even more so if they think they have something special in the mp mode and feel confident that it will have a long life.

psygn0sis

Most PS4 players pretend to not care about multiplayer because they think hating multiplayer makes them hardcore, they forgot that lots of PS3 first party games had good multiplayer modes.
Now they keep repeating stances like "We need no online because 3rd party covers that" ecc...

Last edited:

MrJTeera

They can always go the RDR2 route as well.

Let’s hope so. We got that game for free!

But then again, seeing how Rockstar can make a large scope multiplayer, yet doesn’t compromise the single-player, makes me question the validity of ND’s statement.

MilkLizard

Personally don't care about Multiplayer at all but this seems fishy. Hope it won't be Free-to-Play riddled with microtransactions. Naughty Dog is better than this, at least that's what I want to believe....

Most PS4 players pretend to not care about multiplayer because they think hating multiplayer makes them hardcore, they forgot that lots of PS3 first party games had good multiplayer modes.
Now they keep repeating stances like "We need no online because 3rd party covers that" ecc...

I legit don't care, though. I played the Killzone 2 multiplayer mode literally once. Didn't touch Factions until TLOU remastered on PS4, thought it was fun enough but didn't devote any real time to it because I've got other games to play. Multiplayer for me is for stuff like Awesomenauts, Counter-Strike, Battlefield, etc. most the rest of the time it feels tacked on to me and I always wish the game had something extra in the single player department instead. Like if Doom 2016 didn't have a multiplayer mode but "you can't do Doom without multiplayer!" allegedly, which is so whatever. It's like how Battlefield games still do campaigns and who actually likes them? The first and last good Battlefield campaign was Bad Company 1. It's as inane to me as asking for a 1 player Raid in Destiny or a story mode to accompany a moba.

Mattyp

Gold Member
im more worried about bullshit pay to win more than anything. Multiplayer was the best thing about TLOU. The story is weak IMHO. But the multiplayer without pay to win was best I've played in a long time. So when they made it pay to win at end i thought they were just milking and i had hopes part 2 wouldn't do the same thing. This does concern me.

I never jumped into TLOU until a couple of years into the PS4, I finished the game and loaded up multiplayer and had never seen so many micro transactions in my life for weapons, and people shit on Activision and EA? Imagine if CoD locked the best guns behind a paywall or allowed multiple perks only to be purchased with real money like execution and scavenger. TLOU is the definition of Pay to Win. I have no idea what it was like at launch but I noped out after a few hours and never picked it up again.

riddled with microtransactions. Naughty Dog is better than this, at least that's what I want to believe....

You've never played a ND online game.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
Seems like some here have no idea of what is happening.

EG did a light summary of what happened: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-last-of-us-2-wont-have-multiplayer-after-all

The wording really makes it seem like it’ll be an entirely different game based on the faction system in TLOU MP.

You will eventually experience the fruits of our team's online ambition, but not as part of The Last of Us Part 2”, the statement reads. “When and where it will be realised is still to be determined. But rest assured, we are as big a fan of Factions as the rest of our community and are excited to share more when it's ready.

quickwhips

I never jumped into TLOU until a couple of years into the PS4, I finished the game and loaded up multiplayer and had never seen so many micro transactions in my life for weapons, and people shit on Activision and EA? Imagine if CoD locked the best guns behind a paywall or allowed multiple perks only to be purchased with real money like execution and scavenger. TLOU is the definition of Pay to Win. I have no idea what it was like at launch but I noped out after a few hours and never picked it up again.

You've never played a ND online game.
But the game play is top notch if you removed the microtranactions that were pay to win and left models in i would be fine with that.

Top Bottom