• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 2 Multiplayer Will Become An Stand-alone Game

They announced and confirmed MP in the game dozen of times.
And you're getting it. What part of this is giving you trouble?
And they announced it and dozens of times? Lets fall back on the verbiage and think about when they said it would release together.

Last edited:

NickFire

You said you call bullshit on the cost
Yes, as an excuse. Because this is a sequel to a game that had it. And has been hyped forever. And was expected to have it again because they never bothered to temper expectations until almost last minute. Which makes it obvious, especially when they admit it’s in the works and coming out unconnected to the game itself, that someone decided they could make more money selling it separately but held back revealing the decision to let the hype train roll on.

This is a cash grab. This is not about cost.

Gamernyc78

Banned
We still do not know if they are charging for this, or not.

They can very well be going the RDR2/GTA5 route.

I think they will go this route or blackout type route and I have no problem with this. I think since tlou 2 is so big and thy want to go all in on the mp (remember Sony said thy are looking to go bigger with online mp games) thy chose this route but the mp will be alot bigger than the last with of course micro transactions thrown in but thts OK as long as it's not unbalancing shit or splits player pool. Expect seasonal battle passes a fortnite and blackout. Expect focus on longevity and of course a constant income producing mp.

Of course this is all theory based off latest mp trends.

Last edited:

NickFire

I think they will go this route or blackout type route and I have no problem with this. I think since tlou 2 is so big and thy want to go all in on the mp (remember Sony said thy are looking to go bigger with online mp games) thy chose this route but the mp will be alot bigger than the last with of course micro transactions thrown in but thts OK as long as it's not unbalancing shit or splits player pool. Expect seasonal battle passes a fortnite and blackout. Expect focus on longevity and of course a constant income producing mp.
I assumed they would go micro transaction loaded add on route too, which I would be ok with. But then the statement in ops post changed my mind. The dev specifically says that factions will not be part of this game. That’s why I don’t see it coming as an add on.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I assumed they would go micro transaction loaded add on route too, which I would be ok with. But then the statement in ops post changed my mind. The dev specifically says that factions will not be part of this game. That’s why I don’t see it coming as an add on.

Yeah, no I don't see it as an add on I added black ops just bcus even though it fires up from base game it feels like a wholly seperate piece. I just think they'll take their cues from both those games. Bro and I don't mind I loveeeee blackout and play tht shit daily lol battle pass is free but sometimes I buy the cool cosmetics.

NickFire

Yeah, no I don't see it as an add on I added black ops just bcus even though it fires up from base game it feels like a wholly seperate piece. I just think they'll take their cues from both those games. Bro and I don't mind I loveeeee blackout and play tht shit daily lol battle pass is free but sometimes I buy the cool cosmetics.
I indulge in the micro transactions too. Madden gets me the worse out of all. And that’s legit p2w. I don’t really care how they release the mp in the game at hand. But I don’t like how this went down. They should have been upfront a long time ago.
Looking up 6 year old announcements is a little rough. I was thinking most people knew GTAO didn't release until 2 weeks after the initial release.
Just admit you were wrong for Pete’s sake. Don’t start playing confused guy while moving goal posts. You aren’t looking for proof that gtao came out later. We all know that. You were looking for proof that rockstar said gta would not have any multiplayer and then gave it for free unexpectedly.

rəddəM

They're telling us they gave all they got in this single player and they decided that we're going to play only the single player first. They want us to experience and focus on it with no distractions. Play it, replay it, platinum it, discover all the secrets. Talk about it. Photo mode it.
Then (I hope) they're going to patch the multiplayer in like 3 to 4 months after the single player is milked dry.
And the multiplayer is probably going to be (I hope) the next gen of ND multiplayer, that's why they're treating it as a separate thing, so it won't interfere in the single player and won't be just and added mode.
I'm expecting a very robust multiplayer implementation, with battle royale even.
I hope that's the case and I'm not wrong (they're not lying to us).

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
They are done by separated teams... keeping the MP for late doesn't mean you will get more or better SP.

It means you will pay twice.

It feel, smell and looks like a business decision $$$.

You may be right. Or they could add it to TLOU2 later and just say they changed their minds. Or maybe it'll be Sony HUGE Free to Play game when the PS5 launches.

Can you imagine a completely different free to play "The Last of Us" multiplayer game at the PS5 launch day?! View it as Sony's answer to GTA5 multiplayer mode or something.

Nero_PR

Banned
I will get the multiplayer, only if it is paid and they don't include Microtransactions. And since Uncharted 3 Multiplayer, Naughty Dog doesn't feel ashamed of putting the most egregious MTX into their games.

Last edited:

Phase

giphy.gif

Nero_PR

Banned
They're telling us they gave all they got in this single player and they decided that we're going to play only the single player first. They want us to experience and focus on it with no distractions. Play it, replay it, platinum it, discover all the secrets. Talk about it. Photo mode it.
Then (I hope) they're going to patch the multiplayer in like 3 to 4 months after the single player is milked dry.
And the multiplayer is probably going to be (I hope) the next gen of ND multiplayer, that's why they're treating it as a separate thing, so it won't interfere in the single player and won't be just and added mode.
I'm expecting a very robust multiplayer implementation, with battle royale even.
I hope that's the case and I'm not wrong (they're not lying to us).
You are very naive, my Padawan. They will make the multiplayer to suck people dry when you all see the MTX model they will implement. But I too hope they make something really special.

You may be right. Or they could add it to TLOU2 later and just say they changed their minds. Or maybe it'll be Sony HUGE Free to Play game when the PS5 launches.

Can you imagine a completely different free to play "The Last of Us" multiplayer game at the PS5 launch day?! View it as Sony's answer to GTA5 multiplayer mode or something.
Or, now this might sound crazy, they just do what has already been given as examples and still have the ps5 ready to play it. Insane I know considering it makes a lot more sense than all these flights of fancy.

Javthusiast

Banned
Overwatch was multiplayer only and 40 bucks. If this isn't a free to play addon or standalone game, then I wouldn't mind paying if it is a full fledged meaty multiplayer only game. We will see, no reason to panic now before we got more info.

ethomaz

Banned
And you're getting it. What part of this is giving you trouble?
And they announced it and dozens of times? Lets fall back on the verbiage and think about when they said it would release together.
Tell me more about that lol...

“There is going to be multiplayer with the game,” Newman said. “We’re really excited to share details about it, but that’s going to be at a later date.”

"Multiplayer is coming back," Margeneau said. "We're not going to talk details yet about what form that takes, but we can confirm there will be multiplayer."

I can find more if you wish... they always talked about The Last of Us 2 having multiplayer.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

They are clearly saying in the tweet it will be a new game... maybe not even in the world of TLOU.

The MP won't be part of TLOU2.

About the F2P in most cases F2P games are more expensive than paid one... I prefer to pay for my games instead to pay for win but yeap it is an option based in $$$.

How was it axed when you're bitching about it's existence?
Axed from The Last of Us Part 2 lol

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Or, now this might sound crazy, they just do what has already been given as examples and still have the ps5 ready to play it. Insane I know considering it makes a lot more sense than all these flights of fancy.

Or yeah it could be just a RDR2 situation. I'm fine with that too.

Flyinmunky

I have no problem with multiplayer coming later down the road. Plenty of top games to keep busy at start of year. Focus on getting the Plat.

Its actually exciting if they have a bigger vision for it and it will be bigger and better than just a basic mode.

I don't mind if its buy to play or Free to play as long as its not pay to win.

As long as its set in Last of Us world and retains the basic pace, game play aspect which made the original excellent then i'm cool.

Worse case will be its actually a new IP not set in the last of us world, then i will sad :(

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
So ... ND make the biggest and most ambitious singleplayer game they've ever made. That's GREAT no? Oh, wait, they've mentioned they're also working on an online game based around the TLOU universe. Oh, damn, now I'm going to have to take that initial excitement for playing the biggest and most ambitious singleplayer game and moan that the biggest and most ambitious game ND has ever made isn't worth the money because it doesn't include multiplayer in the biggest and most ambitious game they've ever made. How dare they do this? If only they hadn't even mentioned they're working on a multiplayer game ... I could have remained excited for the the biggest and most ambitious singleplayer game they've ever made.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think you're a little mixed up. I was referring to the original PS3 game. That included the MP in the standerd package. The remaster on PS4 added the Left Behind DLC and (I think) some MP skins added to the standerd package that still included the MP. The main SP campaign and MP mode were never separate.

No. My point is that you should expect parity of content between versions of the same game, not between games and their sequels because a sequel is its own thing entirely.

You can't for example say that retrospectively Dead Space should have been priced less than it sequels because it had no MP whatsoever, or more to the point the sequels should deservedly have been priced higher because they did. Its asinine.

rubhen925

The last of us mp was really fun but they messed it up by adding the pay to win guns and shit. Mocrotransactions ruined the experience for me after they added it.

Let's Just wait and play the game before speculating that they didn't take any extra effort on the sp. Haha

joe_zazen

We still do not know if they are charging for this, or not.

They can very well be going the RDR2/GTA5 route.

It will be part of their version of gamepass i bet. Layden said something about multiplayer being a hole in their line up, this might be part of filling it.

taizuke

I'm a huge fan of Naughty Dog but as a completionist I've always complained that they include unfair online trophies as part of the platinum. They've gotten better on PS4 but on PS3 you were kinda forced to boost them if you wanted 100%. I have always wanted developers to separate online trophies from single player.

This news alleviate that. However, I'm also a fan of their multiplayer so I'll still keep an eye out for future details.

I'm also of the opinion that is going to be free.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It will be part of their version of gamepass i bet. Layden said something about multiplayer being a hole in their line up, this might be part of filling it.

They already have "GamePass" with PSNow. You can stream, and download games, plus you do not need to pay separate for multiplayer games.

Now if they expand on PSNow, that remains to be seen. However, their formula (much like Nintendo) of selling their games in gangbusters is working, and they probably feel they don't need to go on a subscription service day 0.

But I agree, he did say they wanted to expand on multiplayer, and I am sure them fleshing this out more is part of that vision. Still does not mean it will be a $60 standalone.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

They already have "GamePass" with PSNow. You can stream, and download games, plus you do not need to pay separate for multiplayer games.

Now if they expand on PSNow, that remains to be seen. However, their formula (much like Nintendo) of selling their games in gangbusters is working, and they probably feel they don't need to go on a subscription service day 0.

But I agree, he did say they wanted to expand on multiplayer, and I am sure them fleshing this out more is part of that vision. Still does not mean it will be a $60 standalone.

Id be shocked if it was a $60 stand alone. And yeah, i forgot about psnow, lol.

Eyeron

I’m ok with paying for a standalone Factions game if it’s content rich and all non-cosmetic items are free. Could be amazing if they really flesh it out and add character progression, an upgradable clan hub, etc.

mortal

Gold Member
The entitlement in this thread ..
Fucking seriously. Nowhere in that statement did they say it'll be a pay to play let alone $60.
Yet people are so quick to jump down their throats like Naughty Dogs owns them anything. If then, one would think it would be worth it considering it's at a reasonably affordable price.

No one is holding a gun to your heads to play it either way.

Last edited:
Tell me more about that lol...

“There is going to be multiplayer with the game,” Newman said. “We’re really excited to share details about it, but that’s going to be at a later date.”

"Multiplayer is coming back," Margeneau said. "We're not going to talk details yet about what form that takes, but we can confirm there will be multiplayer."

I can find more if you wish... they always talked about The Last of Us 2 having multiplayer.
How does any of that confirm anything you've been whining about. It releasing after the initial release is still going to be TLOU2 MP. How is a staggered release such a point of contention for some of you.

taizuke

I hadn't realized this but someone pointed out to me how this standalone project could also launch on PS5 and if it's F2P it'll be even bigger.

ethomaz

Banned
How does any of that confirm anything you've been whining about. It releasing after the initial release is still going to be TLOU2 MP. How is a staggered release such a point of contention for some of you.
You won't have TLOU2 MP anymore.
They clearly said Faction MP won't be part of TLOU2 anymore.

It will be a stand-alone game.

And that is atrocious.

- ND confirmed TLOU2 will have MP for years.
- Few months before release ND says MP is not part of TLOU2 anymore and they will release it as a new game in the future.

How is that ok? C'mon.

Last edited:

NickFire

They really could not have been any clearer. Outright said exactly that. And yet, people think taking them at the word is jumping the gun. Crazy town.

So like comrades for FFXV where it was free if you bought the game or you paid for it separately on it's own? I still dont see the problem.

ethomaz

Banned
So like comrades for FFXV where it was free if you bought the game or you paid for it separately on it's own? I still dont see the problem.
There are big problems with that.

1) ND saying since beginning that TLOU2 will have MP and few month before release says it won't be part of TLOU2 anymore.
That is under delivering what promised.

2) SP and MP being two separated game tells you you need to spend more money for them (even if it is F2P anymore that plays these games knows the push to sell mtx break the game).

3) The MP has good change to not be related with TLOU2 in any way (the PR implies that possibility).

4) TLOU2 is delivering in content less than TLOU.

5) That create new precedents to the industry where everybody will want to release separated SP and MP to milk money from both fronts.

I can go on...

I'm surprise how much guys here are praised that shit practice... something related to the competition platform that I don't want to see from Sony or their studios... ND was before an example.

PS. FFXV model is literally the worst in the industry... they shipped a low quality and unfinished game and now you are happy that they give you a free DLC lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom