• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 2 is now the 3rd most GOTY awards winner of all time. Let's see the top 10.

Mista

Banned
Of course the warriors got to fight in every fucking thread defending a GAME :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Bow down to the king, peasants.

3ZbPC5LNRVccsePfX2PbM7-1200-80.jpg

Now go on and continue your usual crying (;

Guilty_AI

Naughty Dog will not release an uncharted game on ps5. You can screenshot this and send me $10 when the generation is over and they didn't release an Uncharted.
What about the ps6? Heck, it doesn't even need to be from ND, like Halo 4 wasn't from Bungie.

Faithless83

Banned
As if the absolute delusional haters are any better lol
I'm a fan of the first game, even bought the PS4 version at launch. Criticism of it was explained time and time again.
Not everyone that didn't like TLOU2 is a hater... but to some of you, it looks like (as vegans think) we hate the planet/woman for enjoying meat/well written story.
So yeah, the comparison with vegans is spot on and your post proves it.

People should play 13 Sentinels to understand how a multiple (13 protagonists) good story is written.

I'm a fan of the first game, even bought the PS4 version at launch. Criticism of it was explained time and time again.
Not everyone that didn't like TLOU2 is a hater... but to some of you, it looks like (as vegans think) we hate the planet/woman for enjoying meat/well written story.
So yeah, the comparison with vegans is spot on and your post proves it.

People should play 13 Sentinels to understand how a multiple (13 protagonists) good story is written.
First off people have the right to not like part 2 for legitimate reasons fans aren’t acting like they can’t and second the game is very well written which hundreds of reviews and numerous professional writers have said. People who didn’t like the game and try to parrot bad writing wouldn’t understand good writing if it bit them in the butt. What they really didn’t like was the way the story went which is completely different from bad writing which like I said they would know if they had any clue what good or bad writing is. I loved 13 sentinels it was in my top five of the year and I got the plat but that games writing took almost every cliche from anime and sci fi imaginable and in the end while enjoyable was somewhat trite with some parts absolutely featuring bad writing. Oh and one more thing one group of people are still making delusional videos with straight up lies months later while the other group isn’t care to guess which group that is?

Last edited:

ABnormal

What the, Witcher 3 is the top? Uncharted 4 above 2? Weird ranking
At the time Uncharted 2 came out, the number of "media outlets" were far lower than now...

For titles separated by so many years, a percentage of outlets would be more revealing.

EdKeen

Neo Member
I'm sure this has been mentioned elsewhere, but as much as the reaction (both negative and positive) to TLOU2 is overplayed, I do sympathize with the haters on one thing: when game journalists/media wear their politics on their sleeves so loudly and obnoxiously, it feels disingenuous when a game that preaches to the choir gets so many awards. It might deserve all of them, but it makes me suspicious.

Imagine an alternate world where Naughty Dog and its games are antagonistic to mainstream game journalists' political beliefs (or at least apathetic to them.) Does TLOU2 win as many awards in that universe? I'm guessing no.

ironmang

Naughty Dog will not release an uncharted game on ps5. You can screenshot this and send me $10 when the generation is over and they didn't release an Uncharted.
No way there's not at least 1 Uncharted game this gen just might not be a Nathan Drake game.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
First off people have the right to love part 2 for legitimate reasons critics aren’t acting like they can’t and second the game is not very well written which hundreds of reviews and numerous professional writers have said. People who like the game and try to parrot good writing wouldn’t understand good writing if it bit them in the butt. What they really liked was the way the story went which is completely different from good writing which like I said they would know if they had any clue what good or bad writing is. Oh and one more thing one group of people are still making delusional videos and spamming threads with straight up lies months later while the other group isn’t care to guess which group that is? (Hint, it isn’t the critics).

FTFY.

I'm sure this has been mentioned elsewhere, but as much as the reaction (both negative and positive) to TLOU2 is overplayed, I do sympathize with the haters on one thing: when game journalists/media wear their politics on their sleeves so loudly and obnoxiously, it feels disingenuous when a game that preaches to the choir gets so many awards. It might deserve all of them, but it makes me suspicious.

Imagine an alternate world where Naughty Dog and its games are antagonistic to mainstream game journalists' political beliefs (or at least apathetic to them.) Does TLOU2 win as many awards in that universe? I'm guessing no.
Not every game journalist in the world has the same beliefs as some of the ones you're thinking of. It also has nothing to do with the fact that TLOU2 is dominating the awards that are picked by players. I like how some of you keep leaving those out.

Of course the warriors got to fight in every fucking thread defending a GAME :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Bow down to the king, peasants.

3ZbPC5LNRVccsePfX2PbM7-1200-80.jpg

Now go on and continue your usual crying (;
You going by total awards? Because it isn't going to have that crown by the time TLOU2 is done racking in the wins. It's getting very close and still many awards to come.

Self

What they really didn’t like was the way the story went which is completely different from bad writing which like I said they would know if they had any clue what good or bad writing is.

You're usual suspect is 16 years of age, consumes a lot of nippon anime junk or loves the transformers and has generally no awareness of deeper layers within a story/narrative. You don't expect them to differentiate between good writing and pleasing story.

I remember folks arguing about the ending of avengers endgame, while some people dismissed the whole movie, because their favorit hero died. In their opinion the movie failed, because of a few unlucky choices towards the end, instead of realizing that the whole movie is a badly written mess.

Mista

Banned
You going by total awards? Because it isn't going to have that crown by the time TLOU2 is done racking in the wins. It's getting very close and still many awards to come.
I don’t care honestly if it takes it by 500 more awards. Who gives a shit about some kind of award and takes it seriously to begin with 🤣

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It’s ok you got burned and couldn’t reply with something thoughtful better luck next time

Ironic considering I just used the same words you did. Hell you couldn’t even come up with anything thoughtful to counter my previous post you quoted. Look in the mirror kiddo, your clown make up is showing.

Ironic considering I just used the same words you did. Hell you couldn’t even come up with anything thoughtful to counter my previous post you quoted. Look in the mirror kiddo, your clown make up is showing.
Lol you’re clown shoes the whole point of you quoting my comment but changing certain things up was because you didn’t have any thoughtful replies and tried to hijack my comment so no there wasn’t anything ironic about what I said smh.

Corgi1985

Banned
Dragon age being there invalidates the entire list. It's just a list of the most heavily marketed derivative AAA trash. Not one game there does something interesting or new. Especially RDR2 which is a plain bad game.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Dragon age being there invalidates the entire list. It's just a list of the most heavily marketed derivative AAA trash. Not one game there does something interesting or new. Especially RDR2 which is a plain bad game.
Almost the whole list is full of masterpieces

Handel

Total numbers don't mean as much as percentage amount of total awards given out in a year. Remember someone breaking down the percentages and Witcher 3 still was slightly ahead at the top, then it was BOTW, then RE4 IIRC.

Actually found it :

1. Witcher 3 - 58%
  2. Breath of the Wild - 57% / Resident Evil 4 - 57%
  3. Skyrim - 56%
  4. Uncharted 2 - 52%
  5. God of War (2018) - 50%
  6. The Last of Us - 47%
  7. Knights of the Old Republic - 46%
  8. Uncharted 4 - 40%
  9. Half-Life 2 - 38% / Red Dead Redemption - 38%
  10. Mass Effect 2 - 35% / Oblivion - 35%
  11. Red Dead Redemption 2 - 34%
  12. Fallout 3 - 33%
  13. Dragon Age Inquisition - 32%
  14. Gears of War - 30% / Grand Theft Auto V - 30%
  15. Bioshock - 29%
  16. Super Mario Galaxy - 28%
  17. Overwatch - 24%
  18. Death Stranding - 25%
  19. Twilight Princess - 23%
  20. Resident Evil 2 Remake - 22%
  21. Wind Waker - 20% / Halo 2 - 20%
  22. The Walking Dead - 19% / Grand Theft Auto IV - 19%
  23. Metal Gear Solid 4 - 18%
  24. Sekiro - 16% / GTA San Andreas - 16%

Faithless83

Banned
First off people have the right to not like part 2 for legitimate reasons fans aren’t acting like they can’t and second the game is very well written which hundreds of reviews and numerous professional writers have said. People who didn’t like the game and try to parrot bad writing wouldn’t understand good writing if it bit them in the butt. What they really didn’t like was the way the story went which is completely different from bad writing which like I said they would know if they had any clue what good or bad writing is. I loved 13 sentinels it was in my top five of the year and I got the plat but that games writing took almost every cliche from anime and sci fi imaginable and in the end while enjoyable was somewhat trite with some parts absolutely featuring bad writing. Oh and one more thing one group of people are still making delusional videos with straight up lies months later while the other group isn’t care to guess which group that is?
Can you quote the numerous professional writers? Or numerous scientists that proved how us consuming meat is destroying the planet?
I do have one writer that goes on length on why it has bad writing.
Timestamped 9:04

No need to watch the whole thing (around a 36min autopsy of the story from the timestamp) but it is very interesting how he breaks the story and covers the following in detail:

YVcuYIp.png

Back to 13 Sentinels, it's a love letter to sci-fi and no matter what do you expect in the beginning of the game, it surprises you time and time again. All that while featuring 13 protagonists.

13 Sentinels is miles and miles above what was shown in TLOU2.

It would be cool to live in some alternate reality where games like SM64, OoT, MGS, etc released while there were all these sites handing out awards. Wonder what number they’d end up at. I mean these are all good games but Uncharted, Dragon Age, LoU2 most awards ever? Doodoo

Eternal21

The mental cope gymnastics are about to get much harder for TLOU2 haters. Not only was the game a critical success, turns out it was a commercial hit as well (link):
PlayStation’s big-budget exclusive, The Last of Us Part II, was also a sales hit. “The Last of Us: Part II finished 2020 as the year’s best-selling PlayStation exclusive, while also ranking as the sixth best-selling title overall,” said Piscatella. “The Last of Us: Part II now ranks as the third best-selling Sony-published game in U.S. history in dollar sales, trailing only Marvel’s Spider-Man, and 2018’s God of War.”

Last edited:
Top Bottom