• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 2 Has a Secret Animation That Allows Ellie to Catch Ammo Midair

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Over on The Last of Us subreddit, user onlylaiden posted a short clip. Within the 23 second video, Ellie comes out from hiding behind the table and grabs some ammo; picking up bandages on her way around the corner. There she is faced with an enemy and in true Ellie fashion, she shotguns him right in the face. As the enemy falls to the ground, Ellie grabs the ammo by just reaching into the air like she’s done this a million times. It’s incredible to watch, especially in slow motion. Apparently, all you have to do is time this sequence really well and then press the triangle button. Simple as that.

EDMIX

Over on The Last of Us subreddit, user onlylaiden posted a short clip. Within the 23 second video, Ellie comes out from hiding behind the table and grabs some ammo; picking up bandages on her way around the corner. There she is faced with an enemy and in true Ellie fashion, she shotguns him right in the face. As the enemy falls to the ground, Ellie grabs the ammo by just reaching into the air like she’s done this a million times. It’s incredible to watch, especially in slow motion. Apparently, all you have to do is time this sequence really well and then press the triangle button. Simple as that.

Thats crazy! After spending like 80 plus hours with this game, 3 playthroughs, I thought I knew most the cool tricks.

I'm surprised it took this long to find this.

Kuranghi

Isn't this just they set ammo to be an interactable object sooner, as soon as spawned it looks like, rather than when it hits the ground like in most games? Its great QOL but I thought there was going to be a cool animation, it just looked like the normal reaching for ammo one. Humbug!

Raonak

Banned
That's quite cool, it's basically an "emergent animation" that occurs due to how the dynamic animations are done in that game.

Factions...

200.gif

Hugare

Yeah, not really a "secret" animation or nothing like that. Just the top of the line animation blending tech in action.

It's the standard "picking ammo at the top of a shelf" that played out during combat .

But its cool to see, shows how their animation system is fluid and dynamic

Last edited:

Ellery

At this point I wonder how other studios feel when they see what Naughty Dog is capable of. Must be humbling, but then again we need those people that push the industry and we are all better off (even if you happen to be one of the few that genuinely dislike last year's Goty) because of it.

Keep the gifs, webms and videos coming I love them !

GymWolf

I discovered a secret animation where she throw a bigot sandwitch like a granade, the enemy lose his job instead of his limbs.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Not secret animation lol, just animation blending. It looks goofy which is why most other games wouldn't make the "pickup" interactable until it falls to the ground.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I discovered a secret animation where she throw a bigot sandwitch like a granade, the enemy lose his job instead of his limbs.
DazzlingPeriodicGnatcatcher-size_restricted.gif

It's ND's implementation of motion matching tech working as intended. Check this out:

Yep. This is just motionmatching. They didnt code this in or hand key in these animations. thats the beauty of these systems.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Wait, the animation appears to be that the cartridge is on the rights side of the character, but it's caught by the left hand of the character.

It's probably just a some oddity like in all games. Does not seems to be done for this purpose.

Soodanim

TLOU2 might be an easy target, and the act of reusing an animation isn't impressive on its own, but you don't see anyone else putting this in their game.

GymWolf

DazzlingPeriodicGnatcatcher-size_restricted.gif

Yep. This is just motionmatching. They didnt code this in or hand key in these animations. thats the beauty of these systems.
The animations are there because someone created them and the motion matching chose the right one based on multiple factors.

But someone created that animation to begin with, it's not like the system chose something that doesn't exist.

Maybe you were saying the same thing, if that is the case, my bad.

GymWolf

At this point I wonder how other studios feel when they see what Naughty Dog is capable of. Must be humbling, but then again we need those people that push the industry and we are all better off (even if you happen to be one of the few that genuinely dislike last year's Goty) because of it.

Keep the gifs, webms and videos coming I love them !
Devs making all their efforts for the fucking rtx when good animations are 100x times more important, smh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom