• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 2 | Abby Story Trailer

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Liked it or not, one question remains, what is the point of this trailer? Everyone who had their interest in the game knows who's Abby, I liked the game more than I disliked it, but I don't see what Sony's digging here.
Just that. Reminding people about the game. To make people talk again and show that this character hated by the whole internet is way more involving and developed than sjw and muscles many seem to reduce abby to... Many people never played this because of fake leaks about her being trans muscle woman...

J3nga

Just that. Reminding people about the game. To make people talk again and show that this character hated by the whole internet is way more involving and developed than sjw and muscles many seem to reduce abby to... Many people never played this because of fake leaks about her being trans muscle woman...
Also could release PS5 upgrade. We got more powerful hardware that doesn't take any advantage of it. Days gone it, GoT got it. Playing those at 60fps and coming back to this feels awful.

ksdixon

Ellie asks Joel to teach her to swim, after they're done with the FireFlies. I think at another point Joel offers to teach her to play the guitar too.

Ellie didn't know she was supposed to die, and her "being ok" with that and needing "her sacrifice to mean something", is b.s. writing on TLOU2's part. Her line near the end of the first game about "after everything we've been through can't be for nothing", is in reference to the journey across America, and helping FF create a cure. Since it'd be pretty pointless to travel that far and then just not meet the FF. At no point does Ellie get clued-in that she's gonna die. She was unconscious the entire time she's with the FF. If I recall correctly even Marlene's note says this, where Marlene just let it happen because she was sick of the rest of the FF looking at her like a failure for the Robert gun mishap, or whatever.

Talk motivations of the characters in TLOU1, character personality changes in TLOU2 all you want. Doesn't change the fact that TLOU2 tries and fails to re-cast the FF as saviours, when the first game debunks all of that and clearly/repeatedly shows them to be terrorists on their dying breaths. Even the doctor thst was left was a coward who hid whilst the better skilled doctors died. TLOU2 tries to pretty up their situation by making the room pristine and changing the doctor's ethnicity to retrofit TLOU2'S b.s., but none of it fits.

Why does none of it fit? In short, Neil wanted his original revenge story of Tess hunting Joel across America for getting her brother killed on a supply raid. Bruce Straley threw that out because it was unrealistic (a nice way of saying it's complete garbage, imo). When Bruce left, like Amy before him, Neil got his way. And ruined the established characters of Joel, Ellie and Tommy in the process.

I genuinely think that people who Stan for TLOU2 either never played the first game, or are trolling.

Angsty "bigot sandwich" Ellie is now such an unlikeable bint that she probably can't star in another game herself because she's been ruined, even if she did have all her fingers to hold a gun and shoot a bow in-game. And who honestly wants a TLOU3 without any connection to Joel or Ellie?

The MP can't come soon enough. That is, if the poor sales and negative feedback to the story haven't scuppered the chances of that happening already.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Liked it or not, one question remains, what is the point of this trailer? Everyone who had their interest in the game knows who's Abby, I liked the game more than I disliked it, but I don't see what Sony's digging here.

GOTY season, "remember us" promo. Nothing complicated. Likely they are planning on a significant PS5 upgrade and won't have it ready til next year.

VulcanRaven

Its Christmas soon so Sony wants to advertise it more. There are people who haven't bought it yet. Also Game Awards is soon. They could also be hinting the PS5 patch because the trailer is in 60fps.

Last edited:

Warablo

I love the bad ass Abby muscles, but the game has serious story pacing issues. Good quality game, but major pacing issues.

farmerboy

I love the bad ass Abby muscles, but the game has serious story pacing issues. Good quality game, but major pacing issues.

Yeah, I liked it but it felt like we we're playing the bloated, director's extended cut.

In the end, the story tried too hard and was too long. Seeing things from Abby and her crew's viewpoint was ultimately unnecessary. The fans only really wanted to know about Joel and Ellie. I admire the effort, but feel like it ultimately didn't quite get there.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
The Abby portion was better than the Ellie portion. I didn't really care about the game until the Abby part

It doesn't retell or revise anything whatsoever. Its entirely consistent.

Its literally impossible to finish the first game without killing the doctor.
If you shoot the doctor in the foot in the first game, it doesn't register as a kill so you can decanonize the sequel not to mention the ambiguity surrounding the efficacy of the vaccine in the first game

Top Bottom