• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 2 | Abby Story Trailer

EDMIX

This makes me want to replay, waiting for the PS5 upgrade tho.

It was that or get eaten by zombies.

Agreed. He had little choice and it was unbeknownst to him that this person was who she was.

Joel knows not to get ambushed or trust strangers.

Tlou2 Joel didn't.

Yet he randomly trusted those 2 bothers in the first game? He is a flawed character, he can't read minds (unless some of you know something about Joel that we don't). Someone else ambushing you is not a choice you make, its a choice they make....

Be like "ok be back soon, also don't get ambushed" lol

Clear Clear Agreed. I think many need to actually see the female bodybuilders that existed before roids. Abby isn't even near as jacked as they are. Weightlifting and cutting weight to get a lower bodyfat will effect breast as that is mostly fat, so going to a lower bodyfat will get that look. That isn't even a male or female thing, that is simply a bodyfat thing as a man can be fat enough to literally have boobs lol

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

And? That doesn't mean something is retold or revised though..... Thats very much what they intended from the very start. I don't see anything in the second game that is arguing to retell anything, its pretty clear that the first game has many elements in it that were made to be continued after.
In this case it does because in part I Ellie didn't know what she was walking into at that hospital while in part II she acts as if she says she was supposed to die there also implying that Joel knew that's what she wanted.
Ok...neither did Joel....thats the point. That simply argues that she didn't know that information in the first game, but the second game doesn't retell that, it reinforces that she didn't know this at first....... I don't know how that even points to something being revised btw lol
It's Ellie's attitude that's been revised.

Part II takes for granted that Ellie was fine with dying while in part I there's at least hints that Ellie wanted to live on with Joel and it's not clear, at least to me, that contributing to a cure meant more than her new found love for "father" Joel.
Ok....she was lied to in the first game by Joel, he legit lies to her, sooooooo its clear something was hidden from her, omitted in his statement etc. The second game is simply a continuation of that, why would they NEED to fucking even state that in the first game? Its understood when Joel lies, that clearly....well he is lying. Her perspective is that she would have been willing to die for it if she was asked as she states that in the second game, but not having the chance to say that in the first, doesn't mean anything was fucking changed, it means they simply wanted that more so to be the theme in the second game....

Too much happens in the first game to really be out here trying to fucking pretend that was some quick change in the sequel or something.
Yes which I personally found a bit lame from the writers to have Joel lie about what went down rather than telling what the Fireflies tried to pull on him and Ellie.

Even if it's somehow clear to you in part II that she would've chosen to die, regardless of the harm's way the Fireflies where putting Joel in, that's not clear to me in part I. If it was the case that she was fine with dying without ever telling Joel, which could mean she was just using Joel, I seriously doubt that's a character trait of Ellie what the writers intended for her.

If she got Joel to love her as a "new" daughter while at the same time she was ready to leave him at the drop of a hat, that's not a good outlook for Ellie's character.
Ok....so does the first game. What he does to doom the world happens in the first game my friend, we are just going over it MORE in the sequel as they have more time to talk about the actions of the fucking ENDING of the first.

So they are going to "frame" it that way because clearly something happened in THE FIRST GAME to even talk about that. Many of us debated his actions even before the second game was ever announced.
You'd have to make very big charitable assumptions of the Fireflies that they would be able to produce enough vaccines, distribute it all over the world, rather than using it as leverage for power. Something that's hard to do with the way they're portrayed in part I.

IMO part II weakens the Joel doomed the world argument since we see humans communities survive well enough to flourish, some can even afford to go to large scale territory wars without worrying about hordes of clickers/zombies.
The same is done in part 2, sorry but no one banned you from having a open interpretation of his actions in the second game or something. He is simply paying for the consequences of those actions. It doesn't change that he did what he did in part 1, you are allowed to view that as just if you want bud, the sequel doesn't magically take that view point away from you like a lobotomy or something. You are free to think he was just and free to have a open view on the mater.....doesn't change his actions and doesn't change that someone would come looking for him.

If you could come on here months after the game's release and still share a view on his actions, you literally are proving that its very much open for you to view it differently. No one is locking you out of having a different view.
Not sure what you're arguing here, nowhere did I say that my view was being suppressed or that Joel's past shouldn't come back to bite him.

You putting all the blame on Joel while letting the Fireflies completely off the hook. You can't deny they gravely mishandled the situation.

And what did Joel do in part I? It was looking like the Fireflies were marching him out without his gear in a dangerous Salt Lake City area. He rescued Ellie from an unethical death she didn't know was looming. Ellie and Joel made plans for a future so Joel has reason to think Ellie wouldn't just want to die without at least saying good-bye first.

EDMIX

In this case it does because in part I Ellie didn't know what she was walking into at that hospital while in part II she acts as if she says she was supposed to die there also implying that Joel knew that's what she wanted.

That just means she thought that and didn't reveal that until part 2.....

So Ellie didn't know that going into that hospital, but neither did Joel..... ie the point of the first game. That is not her acting as if she was "suppose to die", that is simply 100% how she would have felt regardless as again, JOEL LIES TO ELLIE, why would he lie if she wanted to live and he just saved her life?

Why lie to her when he could reveal that place was evil?

Sooooooo clearly the writer is making the first game this way, because they will continue that idea in the sequel.

So I don't think Joel 100% knows what Ellie is thinking unless you telling me he has the powers to read minds, I think he is with her long enough to know how teens are and to know its a hard thing to explain to someone that age. So I think Joel suspected she wanted a say as it is her life, but to suggest joel "knew" as in something was rewritten is absurd and lacks any real proof.

He is allowed to suspect something, assume something, omit information and make that elective call without this whole bs revised argument. He doesn't need to tell us 100% of his views man, at her age its clear he understood this person wants a say, yet might be too young to truly understand the full gravity of what he had to do and why.

The rest of your post is just greatly reaching and nit picking for the sake of it.

You simply don't have a strong argument for some revise or re-write etc.

'You putting all the blame on Joel while letting the Fireflies completely off the hook. You can't deny they gravely mishandled the situation" ????? Who the fuck said anything about choosing some side or favoring the Fireflies or letting them off the hook? You ok?

Going to have to add you to that ignore man, you too triggered over this game. If you hate it, stop fucking coming on theses threads.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
No DLC. They just released a new trailer for TLOU2 for some reason. It includes spoilers so I don't recommend watching it if you haven't played the game.
It's actually pretty funny. The reviewers couldn't say a word about Abby in their reviews (even about her being a playable character without sharing any details about the plot), but now a few months later it's all good and they don't care about spoiling the character to people who haven't played it yet.

Last edited:

KAOS

Is it wrong to like Abby more than Ellie and to think that maybe she is also immune but her father wasn't willing to sacrifice her.

Killer8

I guess they are fine with straight up spoiling their own game in a trailer lol. It's been on the internet for months, but it's still just bizarre.

Nothing wrong with the actual look or how Abbie plays....people hate her because she was terribly written into the game and she killed off one of the most loved characters

they didn’t even explain why she got so jacked apart from a throw away line in the centre....her arc did nothing to redeem her for what happened at the start of the game

would of been better just keeping her as a bad guy and letting Ellie kill her

EDMIX

It's actually pretty funny. The reviewers couldn't say a word about Abby in their reviews (even about her being a playable character without sharing any details about the plot), but now a few months later it's all good and they don't care about spoiling the character to people who haven't played it yet.

Well big difference, the game is already out and has been played by many. It would be like asking why in the other Terminator 2 trailers they show Arnold as the good guy or something......the reveal trailer is to make it seem as if he is coming back as the BAD GUY, once its out in theaters and people see it was a troll to maintain a surprise, they can then market the film differently going forward.

Don't really understand the hate for Abby or the game.

Abby's part of the game is far more interesting and just frankly better then Ellie's.

I really like the Last of Us Part 2. Way more then the first.

The first game is a pretty typical, but well executed zombie post apocalypse story.

The 2nd is a lot more daring and has way more going on and to say. It's not all perfect and really rough around the edges(most of the ellie stuff is just bad). But I am way more interested in replaying it then the first game.

Ulysses 31

That just means she thought that and didn't reveal that until part 2.....

So Ellie didn't know that going into that hospital, but neither did Joel..... ie the point of the first game. That is not her acting as if she was "suppose to die", that is simply 100% how she would have felt regardless as again, JOEL LIES TO ELLIE, why would he lie if she wanted to live and he just saved her life?

Why lie to her when he could reveal that place was evil?

Sooooooo clearly the writer is making the first game this way, because they will continue that idea in the sequel.

So I don't think Joel 100% knows what Ellie is thinking unless you telling me he has the powers to read minds, I think he is with her long enough to know how teens are and to know its a hard thing to explain to someone that age. So I think Joel suspected she wanted a say as it is her life, but to suggest joel "knew" as in something was rewritten is absurd and lacks any real proof.

He is allowed to suspect something, assume something, omit information and make that elective call without this whole bs revised argument. He doesn't need to tell us 100% of his views man, at her age its clear he understood this person wants a say, yet might be too young to truly understand the full gravity of what he had to do and why.
She listened to the recordings in part II and she still got pissed at Joel for not letting her die. There were no clear signs in part I where Joel knew 99.9% Ellie was prepared to die as they were getting closer to the hospital, especially after their bond grew to father-daughter like. The only "hint" of this is when Marlene tells him that it's what she would've wanted but this also shows they never bothered to ask Ellie which still leaves room for reasonable doubt.

I agree that Joel shouldn't have lied and IMO the writers cheated bit to make Joel's actions more shady across Ellie. Him also covering for the Fireflies is also a weird decision.

What's hard to explain that the Fireflies were no saints and were going to get them both killed?

Last edited:
W

Whataborman

Unconfirmed Member
Implants. Padded Bra's etc. Bodybuilding doesn't make women's tits bigger, it only seemingly has that effect on dudes because when they come off their roid cycle their natural production of Testosterone has flatlined and can result in a relative surplus of female hormones, producing feminizing effects.

Its why estrogen suppressors are treated as banned substances by USADA and the like. They aren't PED's but they do indicate their use because the only people who use these drugs are breast cancer survivors and guys looking to avoid developing "bitch tits" following steroid use.

I understand, but it still doesn't answer my question about Abby being a dude or not...

VulcanRaven

Nothing wrong with the actual look or how Abbie plays....people hate her because she was terribly written into the game and she killed off one of the most loved characters

they didn’t even explain why she got so jacked apart from a throw away line in the centre....her arc did nothing to redeem her for what happened at the start of the game

would of been better just keeping her as a bad guy and letting Ellie kill her
Spoilers:
It wasn't said directly but she got so jacket up so she could get her revenge most likely. She wanted to be ready when the time came.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Part II takes for granted that Ellie was fine with dying while in part I there's at least hints that Ellie wanted to live on with Joel and it's not clear, at least to me, that contributing to a cure meant more than her new found love for "father" Joel.

The fact that you're still repeating the same stuff for weeks means you're going off based on your own theories and not facts about the game.

She made plans with Joel before making it to the hospital.

After waking up, she realized Joel lied to her and that's why she asked that question.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Well big difference, the game is already out and has been played by many. It would be like asking why in the other Terminator 2 trailers they show Arnold as the good guy or something......the reveal trailer is to make it seem as if he is coming back as the BAD GUY, once its out in theaters and people see it was a troll to maintain a surprise, they can then market the film differently going forward.
Yes the game has been played by many people, but I think there's still a large group of players waiting for bigger TLoU2 sales or who have just started playing the game thanks to the current sale. What's funny for me is that they do this after being paranoid and very strict about not saying anything concerning Abby (and intentionally misleading players to some extent about the available content). It's different from the T2 example you've mentioned. People already knew Arnie was coming back for the sequel, they were just surprised about him being a good guy. No one was allowed to say anything about Abby prior to the game's launch and people would be even more surprised if the story wasn't leaked.

tfur

It's Ellie's attitude that's been revised.

Yes which I personally found a bit lame from the writers to have Joel lie about what went down rather than telling what the Fireflies tried to pull on him and Ellie.

Even if it's somehow clear to you in part II that she would've chosen to die, regardless of the harm's way the Fireflies where putting Joel in, that's not clear to me in part I. If it was the case that she was fine with dying without ever telling Joel, which could mean she was just using Joel, I seriously doubt that's a character trait of Ellie what the writers intended for her.

If she got Joel to love her as a "new" daughter while at the same time she was ready to leave him at the drop of a hat, that's not a good outlook for Ellie's character.

You'd have to make very big charitable assumptions of the Fireflies that they would be able to produce enough vaccines, distribute it all over the world, rather than using it as leverage for power. Something that's hard to do with the way they're portrayed in part I.

IMO part II weakens the Joel doomed the world argument since we see humans communities survive well enough to flourish, some can even afford to go to large scale territory wars without worrying about hordes of clickers/zombies.
Not sure what you're arguing here, nowhere did I say that my view was being suppressed or that Joel's past shouldn't come back to bite him.

You putting all the blame on Joel while letting the Fireflies completely off the hook. You can't deny they gravely mishandled the situation.

And what did Joel do in part I? It was looking like the Fireflies were marching him out without his gear in a dangerous Salt Lake City area. He rescued Ellie from an unethical death she didn't know was looming. Ellie and Joel made plans for a future so Joel has reason to think Ellie wouldn't just want to die without at least saying good-bye first.

That and the fact that Abby should be mad at her father attempting to kill a kid (Ellie), instead of being mad at Joel trying to save her. Joel was in the right to not let some clown kill Ellie, with some fake notion of creating a cure... you know a cure in the bathroom sink meth terrorist hospital... like that would even be a possibility. Instead of having a decent self reflection and struggles with her dad being an attempted murder, it was Negan golf time roid rage. A weak sauce few minutes of WTF was that... oh well.. I guess that happened...

The story and directing were worse than Z Nation or Fear of the Walking Dead at times. A huge letdown in comparison to TLOU1.

The story felt like it was written and directed by people without children and without decent parental figures. Very little was believable, and very little had emotional weight... other than the flashback scenes.

Also, it's not so much Abby hate, as much as it is the fact that she is the mascot for the terrible story. She is the mascot for the tainting the franchise.

EDMIX

It's different from the T2 example you've mentioned.

Its not.

Its something you don't know so it could be a surprise, thus the marketing leaves you in the dark.

The surprise happens.

The marketing reflects that its known after release.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Neil is all about Abby. That garbage pig character is his pride and joy while he shits on all of TLOU legacy and beloved characters.

I bet he wanted to put her on the cover and all the marketing material so that's his way of doing it 6 months later.

Jon Neu

Banned
Darth Vader would be controversial today...

Are you really trying to compare one of the most iconic and charismatic characters ever made with it's maam brought to life?

Clear Clear Agreed. I think many need to actually see the female bodybuilders that existed before roids. Abby isn't even near as jacked as they are.

Please, show us those female bodybuilders that weren't on roids and also had a diet that consisted of some burritos a day (at best).

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
That and the fact that Abby should be mad at her father attempting to kill a kid (Ellie), instead of being mad at Joel trying to save her. Joel was in the right to not let some clown kill Ellie, with some fake notion of creating a cure... you know a cure in the bathroom sink meth terrorist hospital... like that would even be a possibility. Instead of having a decent self reflection and struggles with her dad being an attempted murder, it was Negan golf time roid rage. A weak sauce few minutes of WTF was that... oh well.. I guess that happened...

The story and directing were worse than Z Nation or Fear of the Walking Dead at times. A huge letdown in comparison to TLOU1.

The story felt like it was written and directed by people without children and without decent parental figures. Very little was believable, and very little had emotional weight... other than the flashback scenes.

Also, it's not so much Abby hate, as much as it is the fact that she is the mascot for the terrible story. She is the mascot for the tainting the franchise.

No, people hated well before they actually knew the story. When the game leaked, people found out that Abby was going to kill Joel and then you would have to play as his killer.

People who often justify Joel's actions always mention how the cure would be nearly impossible even though that wasn't part of the story. They were going make a cure and there's nothing in the story that suggest otherwise. People often talk about this document in the game that doesn't exist.

The fact is, neither side consulted Ellie. They both wanted to take advantage of the situation and they both had good intentions (for the most part). Joel wanted to save Ellie from being killed and stop anyone from coming after her. The fireflies wanted to save humanity. Joel didn't kill Marlene because she was going to perform surgery on Ellie, he killed her because she was going to come after her, thus hiding the "truth" from Ellie.

Aggelos

Could this Abby trailer be something to whet people's appetite for the Game Awards?
A possible TLOU2 Remastered (on PS5) incoming?

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

The fact that you're still repeating the same stuff for weeks means you're going off based on your own theories and not facts about the game.

She made plans with Joel before making it to the hospital.

After waking up, she realized Joel lied to her and that's why she asked that question.
How is Joel lying about what went down with the Fireflies at the hospital mean Ellie would've been OK with dying under those conditions?

It's not a theory that Joel and Ellie grew very close by the end of the game, is it? Why should it still be assumed Ellie's willing to leave Joel at the drop of a hat for the cure at that point?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
How is Joel lying about what went down with the Fireflies at the hospital mean Ellie would've been OK with dying under those conditions?

It's not a theory that Joel and Ellie grew very close by the end of the game, is it? Why should it still be assumed Ellie's willing to leave Joel at the drop of a hat for the cure at that point?

Ellie knew Joel lied to her and she knew he lied.

If she wasn't ok with dying, then she wouldn't have asked the question. No amount of loopholes you try to find, that's the story.

tfur

No, people hated well before they actually knew the story. When the game leaked, people found out that Abby was going to kill Joel and then you would have to play as his killer.

People who often justify Joel's actions always mention how the cure would be nearly impossible even though that wasn't part of the story. They were going make a cure and there's nothing in the story that suggest otherwise. People often talk about this document in the game that doesn't exist.

The fact is, neither side consulted Ellie. They both wanted to take advantage of the situation and they both had good intentions (for the most part). Joel wanted to save Ellie from being killed and stop anyone from coming after her. The fireflies wanted to save humanity. Joel didn't kill Marlene because she was going to perform surgery on Ellie, he killed her because she was going to come after her, thus hiding the "truth" from Ellie.

What is this? The plan was to kill Ellie to try to make a cure. Of course it was not a certainty that the cure could be made. Are we supposed to ignore common sense, our own awareness and historical realities? This is what makes a story believable or not. You need to feign ignorance to support your story line.

Ulysses 31

Ellie knew Joel lied to her and she knew he lied.

If she wasn't ok with dying, then she wouldn't have asked the question. No amount of loopholes you try to find, that's the story.
What's the logic you're using here? Of course Ellie would want to know what really happened when she knows she's being lied to but I don't see how that ties to the conclusion you seem to have drawn that she would've wanted to die without knowing about it beforehand and without saying good bye to Joel first.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
What's the logic you're using here? Of course Ellie would want to know what really happened when she knows she's being lied to but I don't see how that ties to the conclusion you seem to have drawn that she would've wanted to die without knowing about it beforehand and without saying good bye to Joel first.

The conclusion its simple. You're either are unable to comprehend it or you just want to stay in denial. The end was already confirmed by Neil back in 2013 and that she knew Joel lied and she robbed that choice from her.

T

The New Guy

Unconfirmed Member
Don't really understand the hate for Abby or the game.

Abby's part of the game is far more interesting and just frankly better then Ellie's.

I really like the Last of Us Part 2. Way more then the first.

The first game is a pretty typical, but well executed zombie post apocalypse story.

The 2nd is a lot more daring and has way more going on and to say. It's not all perfect and really rough around the edges(most of the ellie stuff is just bad). But I am way more interested in replaying it then the first game.

I think the biggest problem for me was how different Joel felt in the second game. He was very cautious & smart in the first game, not the type I'd expect to easily trust someone & get ambushed like he did with Abby. I just think the story could have been a lot better. There's a lot of things that didn't feel consistent. I expected Joel to feature in the game more, so I felt sort of robbed.

Gameplay wise and graphically the game was stunning. The story was nowhere near as good as it should have been, though.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
What is this? The plan was to kill Ellie to try to make a cure. Of course it was not a certainty that the cure could be made. Are we supposed to ignore common sense, our own awareness and historical realities? This is what makes a story believable or not. You need to feign ignorance to support your story line.

It's a fictional story. You can nitpick at movies and games that are not 100% accurate.

Fact is, that's the way they wrote the story and mere theories gamers have won't change it.

THEAP99

Banned
Amazing game amazing story amazing characters amazing visuals amazing everything. But what's not amazing is why we still have not heard any new news on factions or a PSI patch in over a fucking year!

Jon Neu

Banned
Neogaf is going to be full of salty gamers when TLOU2 sweeps the game awards.

The prestigious game awards.

So much wow.

That's because the premise is so retarded that it's almost impossible to create a backstory that justifies it in a satisfactory way.

And we obviously knew that that gigantic she hulk of a "woman" was made just for the sake of satisfying the feminist fanservice agenda of Cuckmann, so everything was even more retarded, absurd and grotesque.

Last edited:

angrod14

Abby was an absolute badass. I enjoyed playing as her much more than Ellie. Would've love to see an alternate version of the game where she and Joel team-up, it would've been so epic. An unstoppable duo.

Thaedolus

Please, show us those female bodybuilders that weren't on roids and also had a diet that consisted of some burritos a day (at best).

It’s a sequel to a game about fungus that can turn people into zombies focused on a literal human McGuffin. It’s very weird how the suspension of disbelief for those elements is somehow totally fine but buff girl Abby is just a bridge too far for some people.

Jon Neu

Banned
It’s a sequel to a game about fungus that can turn people into zombies focused on a literal human McGuffin. It’s very weird how the suspension of disbelief for those elements is somehow totally fine but buff girl Abby is just a bridge too far for some people.

So you agree that she is unrealistic?

tfur

It's a fictional story. You can nitpick at movies and games that are not 100% accurate.

Fact is, that's the way they wrote the story and mere theories gamers have won't change it.

Well feigning ignorance is why we have the poor story in TLOU2. This is not how humans interpret stories and narratives.

I don’t understand why they wouldn’t have a modest PS5 mode available for this on launch day. the mp update will take time, I get that but why do they have to be lumped together. Annoying.

Top Bottom