• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 1 - PlayStation 5 - The Digital Foundry Tech Review

Barrico82

Banned
Looking at ElAnalistaDeBits comparison loading times are slower on PS5 than PS4. Ouch. I suspect John didn't include his timings to let ND sort that out perhaps.

The vidoe alone has more marketing material than what ND and Sony did to this game, It really shows the effort they put in place.

The Marketing team at Sony this gen, Are horrible!!

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Wait didn’t this video say there’s a 4K/40fps mode if you have a compatible display? Just like Spider-Man and Ratchet? If so I’ll probably go that route with VRR. But I’ll have to check it out myself, the DF video made it really hard to tell the difference on my TV but YouTube compression and shit…

TheGecko

Banned
Y'all are really hurt by this game lol

It looks amazing just like I knew it would and it's already installed 😁

OK Buddy!

D4QWyFS.jpg

ShakenG

Looks great. Love having a version of Part I to match Part II more or less.

Gonna play em back to back.
Ive been meaning to pick up Part2 and i want to do a re run through Part1 before i do but these visuals will make it harder to play the PS4 version.

John did a great job with that lengthy preview.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There IS a 4k 40 fps mode.

But for whatever reason, the game simply does not scale well on the PS5. Even the 4k 40 fps mode dips all the way down to 32 fps and averages around 34-35 fps during combat. It's 40 locked only during exploration. Im guessing they had an engine bottleneck for the CPU. We have seen this with PC ports of Horizon and GOW which are single threaded and hold back even the most powerful GPUs, let alone PS5 equivalent GPUs like the 2080. The GOW PC port team even admitted that changing the CPU tasks to be more multithreaded wouldve required a lot more work so they left it as is. We are probably seeing something similar here.

I don't get how a PS4 game can be "single threaded", given that that console had an 8-core CPU with awful single threaded performance.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It is not a remake. FF7R is a remake. This is the exact same game.

FF7R is more of a reimagining. This is a remake. This and the PS4 version of TLOU can't both be remasters, and what the PS4 version is is what is generally considered a remaster. It comes from the music term, where a remaster is a new release of the same original recordings at higher fidelity. There's no re-recording of the tracks, if you do that it's no longer a remaster.

But this IS a very safe remake, that's for sure.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I don't get how a PS4 game can be "single threaded", given that that console had an 8-core CPU with awful single threaded performance.
Most last gen games max out one thread and that thread is either the parent thread that controls all other threads or something else that pegs that the particular thread causing bottlenecks. You can see it in Control's PC ports. Most of the work is done by 1-2 threads while the other threads sit at 5-10% max. God of War does the same. Check out NX gamer's God of War PC review. IIRC, he shows how some CPU threads max out and the game simply stops scaling past a certain FPS. If you have a PC, run any last gen game and you will see how poorly threaded some of these games are. Forget the extra threads on PC, the first 8 threads arent even fully utilized.

My 2080 had a lot of trouble scaling properly in HZD even when using the PS4 settings. I was like if the 1.84 tflops PS4 GPU thats held back by a 1.6 Ghz CPU can do 1080p 30 fps then my GPU should easily be able to do 1080p 120 fps but it just wouldnt scale even after upgrading to a i7-11700k. Even hitting 4k 60 fps was a pain and had to settle for DLSS which is essentially half the resolution of native 4k.

rofif

Banned
It is not a remake. FF7R is a remake. This is the exact same game.
It is a remake.
Assets are RE MADE (made new from scratch, in new design too)_
Not re MASTERED (touched up)

FF7r is a different beast. Have you played it?
It's not a remake. The remake in the title is a play with words.... it's an in-world re-make of the story. It's very weird :p
But it's not even a reimagining. it's like a sequel that takes a different path

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Most last gen games max out one thread and that thread is either the parent thread that controls all other threads or something else that pegs that the particular thread causing bottlenecks. You can see it in Control's PC ports. Most of the work is done by 1-2 threads while the other threads sit at 5-10% max. God of War does the same. Check out NX gamer's God of War PC review. IIRC, he shows how some CPU threads max out and the game simply stops scaling past a certain FPS. If you have a PC, run any last gen game and you will see how poorly threaded some of these games are. Forget the extra threads on PC, the first 8 threads arent even fully utilized.

My 2080 had a lot of trouble scaling properly in HZD even when using the PS4 settings. I was like if the 1.84 tflops PS4 GPU thats held back by a 1.6 Ghz CPU can do 1080p 30 fps then my GPU should easily be able to do 1080p 120 fps but it just wouldnt scale even after upgrading to a i7-11700k. Even hitting 4k 60 fps was a pain and had to settle for DLSS which is essentially half the resolution of native 4k.

Alright, that's interesting info! Seems weird that last gen games wouldn't better take advantage of what little CPU power there was.

Hugare

ElAnalistadeBits showed that there are some serious FPS drops on the 40hz mode, dropping as low as 30 fps sometimes

I know, it's not a reliable source, but I trust my eyes

Strange that John havent even mentioned anything about performance on this tech review

Last edited:
The PS5 version is probably loading much more asset data in the same timeframe (bar a second).

Irrelevant when the PS5 SSD and I/O architecture is many leaps and bounds faster than anything the PS4 possesses. All it means is that they simply re-architected or rebuilt the game with more or less similar data streaming techniques or methodology as what the game already used. Had they truly designed this game around maximizing the full capabilities of the PS5 SSD and I/O, zero doubt it loads way faster despite how much more data it's loading in compared to the PS4 versions of the game.

But that's not a big deal. They nailed this remake where it counts most. The SSD/Loading is a plus. And maybe changing how they did all the I/O stuff might break things in their game. Because we're so accustomed to just enjoying games rather than making them, there could be all kinds of little things we don't know about why they couldn't do something. Red Dead Redemption, for example, was notorious for what a mess the game was to put together in a working fashion, but we gamers didn't all see the behind the scenes of that.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
What DLCs are they talking about, i thought it had only 1, the left behind DLC ? What is the other one ?
It could be a mistake but I thought I heard John said both DLC's.

Whatever DLC came for TLOU its included in this remake. I think it was only left behind.

Filldo

It could be a mistake but I thought I heard John said both DLC's.

Whatever DLC came for TLOU its included in this remake. I think it was only left behind.
I think Grounded mode was released later as a free DLC. I forgot what the highest difficulty was before the Grounded DLC was released but that was enough for me. I guess maybe I should tackle grounded mode this time around... Well, when I buy it... Still on the fence with the price, I'm sold in every other way and can't wait to play through my 10th time. But yeah, $70 is a lot for any game when I normally just buy everything on sale except 1 or 2 games a year. I already did Horizon this year and I plan on picking up God of War day one so I might have to wait on this one... I have been working extra hours so I might have to reward myself haha.

Tiamat2san

Well if all remakes could have this kind of facelift, i’ll be happy.
The price is high, yeah but i am a movie collector.
I buy 4K blu-ray of movies i already have in blu-ray and most of them i had on dvd and on laser disc and on VHS before
For some movies i love i’ll buy any new version if it adds something.

Nobody forces me to do it.
I do it because i love that feeling of discovering new details due to resolution and sound enhancement.

Last week i watched the 4K version of event horizon, all the details present in the inside of the ship were absolutely amazing.
I discovered so much just by watching it in 4K.
I payed 50€ for this (collector edition) and don’t regret it.
So paying for last of us part 1 and replaying it at this level of fidelity is a no brainer for me.

Mr Moose

Just finished watching the video, very nice upgrade. Loved the ASMR part and the lighting/shadows are massively upgraded along with all the textures.
I'll get it when its on sale sometime.

nordique

I think it looks great and the character models in real time, environments, lighting have all made a huge leap forward

I just don’t have a huge desire to play it (the story) again - I am speaking for myself but I feel like so much invested emotion for this franchise sort of exited when that big time event in part 2 happened, and I’m simply not as interested in revisiting this part of the story any more

Last edited:

Cryio

For as great as Part I looks on PS5, I think it's overall a weird situation.

We're taking Last of Us, one of the best looking PS3 games and remaking it on the Last of Us Part 2 engine from PS4, one of the best looking PS4 titles also, but it's PS5 exclusive?

Like, this game CLEARLY could've worked on PS4. The fact it's a PS5 exclusive is just to avoid having 2 iterations of this game on PS4.

Let me make a forced comparison.

Imagine you're taking Metal Gear Solid 1 on PS1. It's amazing right? It's some of the best things that could have been done on PS1. Cool. And then you decide to remake MGS1 in the engine of Metal Gear Solid 2 ... and launch it as a PS3 exclusive. But a remake of MGS1 on the MGS2 engine exists. It's called Twin Snakes. And it's available on GameCube. Could've run just as well on PS2 of course. Yet here they take the literal engine from TLoU2 from PS4 and make it ... PS5 exclusive.

Ntz ntz ntz.

Last edited:
Yeah so where is the PS5 version of TLOU2? It seems weird to make one for TLOU1 but not 2. So now part 2 is the inferior experience hah

For real though. I want a native PS5 version of TLOU2 badly.

Why native 4K. FFS !!

1440p/30 and throw everything at making the game look as good as possible.

1440p/30 - Fidelity
1440p/60 - Performance

Last edited:
Why in baby jesus' name did they not at least use some upscaling or a true dynamic 4k res (like they claim) to get this a better looking iq then just 1440p?

1440p is not "the sweet spot". Only if it also has quality upscaling to 4k.

Depends how you look at it.
While its clear substantial improvements have been done and it is the best version of TLOU1, however it seems TLOU remake was improved with technology from the PS4 generation. I dont know if this is what people expect from this generation, just an extension of last gen?
I think shaders,polycount and effects could of been pushed further, but sony probably was not willing to spend more to enable a more advanced remake.

Also things are not so black or white, this is not politics. Praise and criticisms are based on specific examples and reasons which can be clearly defined. Peoples tastes and circumstances are subjective but we can all agree on certain things.
I think they wanted to just about match TLOU2 and that’s why it looks like a PS4 game. Now both games look very similar. If they made tlou1 massively better looking than TLOU2, then they’d have to remake TLOU2 for continuity

Vick

Gold Member
Yeah, I've been shitting on this Remake since the day it was announced but this video actually sold me.

This may also be the best effort I've seen from Digital Foundry, I found the video super relaxing and informative and made me remember The Last of Us was once my favorite game of all time.

It's an actually great job by Naughty Dog. GG John Linneman as well.

Arioco

There IS a 4k 40 fps mode.

But for whatever reason, the game simply does not scale well on the PS5. Even the 4k 40 fps mode dips all the way down to 32 fps and averages around 34-35 fps during combat. It's 40 locked only during exploration. Im guessing they had an engine bottleneck for the CPU. We have seen this with PC ports of Horizon and GOW which are single threaded and hold back even the most powerful GPUs, let alone PS5 equivalent GPUs like the 2080. The GOW PC port team even admitted that changing the CPU tasks to be more multithreaded wouldve required a lot more work so they left it as is. We are probably seeing something similar here.

If a game averages around 70 fps at 1440p but it struggles to maintain 40 fps when resolution is set to 4K (and the rest of the setting are the same) the bottleneck is clearly the GPU, not the CPU. 🤷‍♂️

I think they wanted to just about match TLOU2 and that’s why it looks like a PS4 game. Now both games look very similar. If they made tlou1 massively better looking than TLOU2, then they’d have to remake TLOU2 for continuity

Agreed, it makes no sense to have Part I looking way better than Part II

And imagine the outrage here if they remade Part II completely and sold it for $70, 2 years after the original release... People would have asked for a free upgrade... LOL

Part I released on PS3 9 years ago and the PS4 version just 1 year later...

A remake maybe wasn't necessary but surely it made much more sense

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Why native 4K. FFS !!

1440p/30 and throw everything at making the game look as good as possible.

1440p/30 - Fidelity
1440p/60 - Performance
1440p is transitional crap. 4k or nice temporal upscale from 1440p.
Raw 1440p is just blurry. It was never a good enough and looks muddy on 4k tv

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
After watching this I was like fuck it, I'm all in! Open amazon to buy it and....
YWUyl4A.jpg

100 fucking bucks? Down from 125!?!? WTF is with these prices? I guess I was expecting like 70 or something. Gonna have to wait for a price drop, no way I'm paying full price for this no matter how good it looks.

rofif

Banned
If a game averages around 70 fps at 1440p but it struggles to maintain 40 fps when resolution is set to 4K (and the rest of the setting are the same) the bottleneck is clearly the GPU, not the CPU. 🤷‍♂️
4k is almost 2,5x demanding than 1440p

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i was going to get this but....nah i think i wait for sales or PS PLUS, i still remember most part of the game, so im fine for now.

Top Bottom