• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us Part 1 - Improvements Listed

Nautilus

Banned
Big studios are working on multiple projects all the time.
Yes?Never said it didn't.But instead of being projects about 3 new games/IPs, its 2 new games/IPs and 1 Remaster/Remake. It may seem silly, but I would prefer if they were all in in new experiences.

Not at all, assuming it fits into the restructured and expanded levels, environments, & improvements to a.i.
It adds a lot of depth to the stealth combat.

Maybe you played Pt 2 wrong.
Nah man, I very much stand by what I said. TLOU was amazing. I played it and enjoyed it. Give me new games now; new experiences, sequels to old ones, new IPs.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Nah man, I very much stand by what I said. TLOU was amazing. I played it and enjoyed it. Give me new games now; new experiences, sequels to old ones, new IPs.
I thought you meant working on the prone mechanic would be a waste of resources, within the remake itself.

If looking at the overall project, that's understandable. I'm more than excited to play it though.

I thought you meant working on the prone mechanic would be a waste of resources, within the remake itself.

If looking at the overall project, that's understandable. I'm more than excited to play it though.
I was agreeing with you that prone is an actual desirable feature that should be in the remake. Then I included my own thoughts that they should give us sth new.

Swift_Star

Banned
Wow. The facial expressions look considerably more natural.

They've definitely aged up her character model to better resemble her motion capture actor

ecbf627f-9303-4981-aj3jzf.jpeg

f7330938-2ec1-4d0e-93ajkk.jpeg

1780eb89-0555-405d-8q9jzp.jpeg

tessitjhm.png

It’s amazing how alike they made the actress to the ingame model. I’m blown away. 🤯

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Any kind of project eats up time and resources.You could say this eats up less time and resources compared to a new game given that its a faithful Remaster/Remake, but it still does.
Game dev doesn't scale infinitely with adding more man-power*** - so this idea that 'if they run more than one team it takes away from other project(s)' doesn't usually apply.

***Unless you're Ubisoft - but then your baseline is like 5x slower/higher-cost than everyone else already, so you need to throw more that many more bodies at it.

Nautilus

Banned
Game dev doesn't scale infinitely with adding more man-power*** - so this idea that 'if they run more than one team it takes away from other project(s)' doesn't usually apply.

***Unless you're Ubisoft - but then your baseline is like 5x slower/higher-cost than everyone else already, so you need to throw more that many more bodies at it.
It kinda does though?Its not constant for sure, but a 100 man team would be enough for just one project, while a 200 man team could either handle one bigger project or two smaller ones.

Kabelly

You are asking too much for Sony to have some standards for aiming controls.
hilarious the controller having gyro but they not implement in every shooter.
luckily it's coming to pc.

I'm hoping now that Naughty Dog included it for TLOU2 as an accessibility feature they won't let it go now.

Also, since it's coming to PC I'll probably use JoyshockMapper anyways.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Yes?Never said it didn't.But instead of being projects about 3 new games/IPs, its 2 new games/IPs and 1 Remaster/Remake. It may seem silly, but I would prefer if they were all in in new experiences.

huh?

nah man. They still need to make engines to those NEW games, its not waving a fucking wand and magically a game pops up. This remake is happening cause that portion of the team likely has nothing they can do at this time with those other projects as those engines and other parts will take years to craft before they are ready to be worked on by that other half of the team.

So the year and a half that 100 people or so took to make this remake, wasn't fucking equaling a new game, no fucking way.

You are asking for a false equivalence here man.

Even if Sony was indeed making 3 fucking games at ND, you'd STILL SEE THIS FUCKING REMAKE!

1. Uncharted 5, oh we need to make a new engine.
2. The Last Of Us 3, oh shit...we need to make a new engine.
3. New IP, new design, engine and a fuck ton more work.
4.Fractions online also being made

Sir...even if we just add in Uncharted 5, those members of the team are still fucking free to make the remake. you want something, yet you don't know this remake is not TAKING AWAY from a new game, cause they can't fucking even work on a new game, even if several where being made, their at the stage of concept, engine making etc thus, that 100 or so staff in 1 year and 6 months is not adding much to that development if anything at all.

Would be like a building being under construction and you think asking the interior designers to hurry up would make it build faster, you think them doing other interior design jobs suddenly means you are missing out on "new experiences" not fucking knowing that the building still needs to be built, in that time the designers can work on other projects, even if they wanted a um "new" project, guess what? it would still take on that fucking construction time sir.

If you don't know this, no wonder you think this not happening would mean something new in its place. This remake if anything would fund those new things, yet those new things would still fucking take years and years to be made before we even see reveal trailer. So yes, it doesn't "seem silly" its simply silly. It disregards how development even works. Would be like fucking saying those GTA remasters is hurting GTA 6's development lol

Nautilus

Banned
huh?

nah man. They still need to make engines to those NEW games, its not waving a fucking wand and magically a game pops up. This remake is happening cause that portion of the team likely has nothing they can do at this time with those other projects as those engines and other parts will take years to craft before they are ready to be worked on by that other half of the team.

So the year and a half that 100 people or so took to make this remake, wasn't fucking equaling a new game, no fucking way.

You are asking for a false equivalence here man.

Even if Sony was indeed making 3 fucking games at ND, you'd STILL SEE THIS FUCKING REMAKE!

1. Uncharted 5, oh we need to make a new engine.
2. The Last Of Us 3, oh shit...we need to make a new engine.
3. New IP, new design, engine and a fuck ton more work.
4.Fractions online also being made

Sir...even if we just add in Uncharted 5, those members of the team are still fucking free to make the remake. you want something, yet you don't know this remake is not TAKING AWAY from a new game, cause they can't fucking even work on a new game, even if several where being made, their at the stage of concept, engine making etc thus, that 100 or so staff in 1 year and 6 months is not adding much to that development if anything at all.

Would be like a building being under construction and you think asking the interior designers to hurry up would make it build faster, you think them doing other interior design jobs suddenly means you are missing out on "new experiences" not fucking knowing that the building still needs to be built, in that time the designers can work on other projects, even if they wanted a um "new" project, guess what? it would still take on that fucking construction time sir.

If you don't know this, no wonder you think this not happening would mean something new in its place. This remake if anything would fund those new things, yet those new things would still fucking take years and years to be made before we even see reveal trailer. So yes, it doesn't "seem silly" its simply silly. It disregards how development even works. Would be like fucking saying those GTA remasters is hurting GTA 6's development lol
Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Looking at the old Tess model compared to the new one makes it clear why they had to update all old models. They can't have realistic Joel and Ellie in the style of TLoU2 side by side with what now looks like an anime character in comparison.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Looking at the old Tess model compared to the new one makes it clear why they had to update all old models. They can't have realistic Joel and Ellie in the style of TLoU2 side by side with what now looks like an anime character in comparison.

lol, this is true.

I get why in 2013 they had to make them look that way as they had to do what they have to do with what they are given. So far, I love all the new character models.

lol, this is true.

I get why in 2013 they had to make them look that way as they had to do what they have to do with what they are given. So far, I love all the new character models.
I really like the stylized look of the old characters, made complete sense for the PS3 but after TLoU2 there is no going back.

It's big jarring to see the different animation as well, completely changes the scene hopefully for the best. The performance comes off as a lot more realistic and sad.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
lol you just sound like your mad that you can't really logically or rationally explain any of this, likely due to simply not understanding game development.

Wants new game, pretends a 100 man team can magically make some AAA game in 1 year lol Nah bud, maybe stick to laughing gifs or something.

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

EDMIX

The added realism will certainly allow more empathy for the characters. Shit, I’m dreading the intro 😩
True, almost forgot about that whole set up lol

Gameplay wise I wonder if they will do the same puzzles with the weird wooden boards or add ropes, windows etc in part 2.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I was hoping to hear about:
  • 21:9 Support / Resolution Agnostic
  • Both DLSS and FSR 2.0 Support
Maybe when they preview the PC version...

Sony in general have yet to truly disappoint when it comes to PC ports.
If its Nixxes or Jetpack doing the port we should be all good, although im curious if ND is doing the port internally.
21:9 and arbitrary resolutions are almost certainly in.
The cutscenes being realtime now also means theres a good chance even they will be Ultrawide.

DLSS and FSR also pretty much a lock, but its a PS4 game I dont expect it to be particularly challenging to run.

I do wonder if the will make it a DX12 title, or fingers crossed Vulkan.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
It kinda does though?Its not constant for sure, but a 100 man team would be enough for just one project, while a 200 man team could either handle one bigger project or two smaller ones.
Scaling within one project is limited by Amdahl's law. Scaling to multiple is ultimately business case limited, though there's other factors too.

Elysion

Banned

Tess looks like a completely different person now. I would’ve preferred if they just improved the hair and skin shaders and touched up the facial animations. The new Tess looks too… sad? Idk how to put it, but the old one looked more confident. It’s similar with their new Joel model; he looks strangely sad. New Tess also looks way older; the original one looks like she’s in her thirties, the new one looks closer to fifty. She also comes a bit too close to ‘uncanny valley’ territory for me compared to before.

Ellery

Tess looks like a completely different person now. I would’ve preferred if they just improved the hair and skin shaders and touched up the facial animations. The new Tess looks too… sad? Idk how to put it, but the old one looked more confident. It’s similar with their new Joel model; he looks strangely sad. New Tess also looks way older; the original one looks like she’s in her thirties, the new one looks closer to fifty. She also comes a bit too close to ‘uncanny valley’ territory for me compared to before.

I think one of the reasons of the changes are the new tech and ways that are being used to implement and create those models.
All the characters look closer to their actors now. Ellie is less Ellen Page and more Ashley Johnson etc.

She is much more fitting for her age and environment right now. She looks less instagram and more like a person that lived through horrible years of dirt and no easy infastructure to everything we take for granted.
For me personally it increases immersion.

EDMIX

I think one of the reasons of the changes are the new tech and ways that are being used to implement and create those models.
All the characters look closer to their actors now. Ellie is less Ellen Page and more Ashley Johnson etc.

She is much more fitting for her age and environment right now. She looks less instagram and more like a person that lived through horrible years of dirt and no easy infastructure to everything we take for granted.

True, I'd rather see what the artist wanted with better tech.

Elysion

Banned

True, but at the end of the day this is a piece of entertainment, and if I have to stare at these characters for hours while playing a game then I’d prefer them to be at least somewhat easy to look at. There’s a reason why shows and movies with a war or post-apocalyptic setting nonetheless have characters usually played by attractive actors.

daffyduck

You're right, same to me.

Yet the consensus is that people don't have a problem with it, since sales have not stagnated due to it.

I remember when we all cheer leaded with, "I would rather pay MORE for a complete game with zero MTX..."

Yet here we are. Here we are.
Just like GT7. Wait…

kingfish

True, but at the end of the day this is a piece of entertainment, and if I have to stare at these characters for hours while playing a game then I’d prefer them to be at least somewhat easy to look at. There’s a reason why shows and movies with a war or post-apocalyptic setting nonetheless have characters usually played by attractive actors.
NaughtyDog totally lost the oportunity to recast the characters in Part 1 with CW actors instead of the original cast. Shame.

Elysion

Banned
NaughtyDog totally lost the oportunity to recast the characters in Part 1 with CW actors instead of the original cast. Shame.

Well, it worked for Resident Evil, didn’t it? The main characters in that series have always been 10/10 babes and chads. And let’s be honest, the original Joel and Tess in TLoU were pretty attractive too; they wouldn’t have looked out of place in a CW show either.

Last edited:

Yoboman

It's a game, the freedom of game development is you can make a character look however you want

There is zero reason for game development to be funnelled into just good looking people. Hollywood is like that because it's full of image obsessed narcissists and they are selecting actors based on a small pool of good looking people who got through based on looks and not talent.

PanzerAzel

Will be nice to play this with gyro aim.
Is this confirmed?

An argument for a “better use of resources” falls flat when you view it from a cost/benefit ratio perspective. The bulk of the labor is done.

Take that and plop it on top of a superior engine that affords parity to combat, accessibility, various gameplay modes and modifiers etc, to one of the most beloved gaming narratives in existence, and I honestly cannot think of a better utilization of resources that would give such RoI for the initial investment. We’re talking Paranormal Activity returns. Okay maybe not that much, but a lot.

This, financially, is a very smart move by Sony, and considering the work is mostly done and the popularity of the property at hand, to not do it is what would be considered a poor use of resources.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's a game, the freedom of game development is you can make a character look however you want

There is zero reason for game development to be funnelled into just good looking people. Hollywood is like that because it's full of image obsessed narcissists and they are selecting actors based on a small pool of good looking people who got through based on looks and not talent.
Agreed. I really dislike Hollywood giving everyone unrealistic beauty standards. It was worse for women back in the day, but these marvel male heroes have made it just as bad for men. No one is supposed to look like thor without taking steroids and working out 6 hours a day for 6 months, and yet thats what men are supposed to look like now.

However, ND isn't applying the same standards to male characters in their games who are handsome, good looking, and sometimes straight up runway model types. In fact, I remember the lead character artist (A woman even) proudly claiming that they made Drake look that attractive (When talking about his character model below) because protagonists have to look attractive. They are not better than hollywood.... they just have different standards for women.

LsoLq6V.jpg

vs

TD9i2CI.jpg

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

Post in thread 'The Last Of Us Part 1 - Improvements Listed' https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-last-of-us-part-1-improvements-listed.1637878/post-266284833

There's this weird idea on the internet floating around that Naughty Dog deliberately made her look "uglier" and made the facial expressions look "less natural" with the context of the scene.

Like seriously I don't understand what it is but it's ONLY with naughty dog games that I see this weirdness happen with. It's like people have Naughty Dog Derangement Syndrome or Neil Druckmann Derangement Syndrome.

This model of Tess is a step up in every.single.way to better match the tone of the game. Simple

Can even see in that video u listed that these new facial animations better convey what they originally go for
You talk as if you’re completely ignorant of the speeches Druckman has given about infusing his personal politics into his games. In one video he even admits to having had a “hidden agenda”, then goes on a ramble about sexual objectification in gaming. If he doesn’t want the choices in his games questioned as to their motivations, perhaps they wouldn’t be had he not explicitly come out and stated he’s held agendas while creating them?

Given he’s done this in the past, is it so unjustified for so many to question what is driving these things? It’s not “derangement” to connect the dots.

Top Bottom