• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us: Nico Parker Joins Pedro Pascal In HBO Series Adaptation of Popular Video Game

recursive

Yes, you do belong on that other forum. *p
Yikes. Are you an ally of pedos? I can only hope that someone so triggered by this would get some help before they ruin their lives. Not sure what forum you are referring to but assuming it is your PedoEra forum?

sol_bad

I doubt he would have been around for over a year if he was homophobic.

They are race swapping for diversity’s sake. When this is the reason for changing the cast, it is often accompanied by other dubious decisions which make those movie adaptations not good. Plenty of examples in this thread.

What is the reason for choosing white actors for other nationalities in older films? And why is that OK?

Shmunter

Is that insulting? Mix-breed as a child of parents from 2 different races. In my native language, Arabic, that sounds perfect, but maybe not so for a native English speaker?

PS ok checked and it's actually used specifically for animals.🤦‍♂️
Humans are mammals which are animals. We just install human privilege by promoting ourselves to be better! 😜

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Humans are mammals which are animals. We just install human privilege by promoting ourselves to be better! 😜

Yeah for some words like that I just translate the exact words from my native language to English, which can be confusing like here. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

mckmas8808

Banned
Are they race swapping here or essentially acting as locals?

Acting within a certain spectrum if it works is not an issue personally. Straight actors playing gay or trans is not an issue. However many make it out to be.

Obviously it needs to be passable, a white guy with blackface or Asian eyes just looks stupid as it would the other way around. Things simply need a common sense approach.

Acting and art cannot be subjected to staying in your own lane for it inevitably wrings out the creativity and the art out of art,

They are 100% not acting as locals. That much we can say for sure.

Nah we better than animals lol.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Humans are mammals which are animals. We just install human privilege by promoting the ego to "be better!" 😜
;)
Nah we better than animals lol.
If You Say So Shrug GIF

Last edited:

Fbh

What I get from this is that we'll probably get more pre apocalypse flashbacks. Otherwise it would be weird to make a big deal of the casting of what should be a minor role.
Hopefully they do something interesting with it, though I think seeing more of Joel in between the zombie outbreak and the start of the game would be more interesting than seeing him before the apocalypse (unless they change it so his daughter is around for a while after the outbreak).

I don't see the big deal with the race thing. It's irrelevant to Joel as a character, and hopefully they keep it that way (I don't want extended flashbacks only so they can show how he had to deal with racist neighbors or something)

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
What I get from this is that we'll probably get more pre apocalypse flashbacks. Otherwise it would be weird to make a big deal of the casting of what should be minor role.
Hopefully they do something interesting with it, though I think seeing more of Joel in between the zombie outbreak and the start of the game would be more interesting than seeing him before the apocalypse (unless they change it so his daughter is around for a while after the outbreak).

I don't see the big deal with the race thing. It's irrelevant to Joel as a character, and hopefully they keep it that way (I don't want extended flashbacks only so they can show how he had to deal with racist neighbors or something)

I too think it'll be the bolded with his daughter living a little bit longer in the show, than she did in the game.
El Last of Us

🤭

I don't know why this made me laugh so hard. lol

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Hell yea I cant wait for this.

After watching Black Summer Season 2... The bar for zombie action has been raised extremely high

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
black summer....do i need to watch that
Season 2.. Abso-fucking-lutely

Its like they saw the intro of 28 Weeks Later and said "lets make a whole show like this and take it up a few notches"

Season 1 was cool but Season 2.. straight fire.

Last edited:
Damn the way some people are going on about this casting they would've
Pretty sure that none of the characters names will be changed. And PEDRO isn't just a good actor he has a ton of genre bonafides from NARCO's to GoT and to a little show called THE MANDO. This seemed like a no-brainer from a casting perspective as the race of Joel is completely irrelevant to the story being told.
Not even just that; I think (at least IMO) it's more about if someone can pass as a character's visual aesthetic, rather than if they match their ethnicity 1:1 (especially for character who literally are not human beings canonically speaking).

Like Pascal for example, he can pass as a live-action Joel as he more or less looks the part. He looks like he'd make a Joel who's faithful to the visual aesthetic of Joel, especially with the facial hair and all. The person they have now casted for his daughter, I think she can visually pass for a faithful live-action take on his daughter from the game, IF they dye her hair blonde and style it maybe to how the little girl had it in the game.

I think some people forget that ethnicity is not some black or white thing (pun not intended). There's plenty of black people with variations in skin tone and facial features, same goes for whites, Asians etc. and that's not even bringing into the equation people of immediate mixed heritage. The way some folks seem to view it you'd think everyone would look like stereotypes from old propaganda posters or something.

All in all from a POV of them being pretty faithful to the visual identity/aesthetic of the game characters I don't have an issue with either of these castings. It's not like Lance Riddick getting casted as Wester in the new RE series (btw, I'm a big fan of the guy especially his work in The Wire, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell he doesn't look like Wesker from the games :S), for example. So I really think some people should chill on this otherwise they're just starting to prove their critics were right.

I think he got banned because either (a) the mods are scared of offending the crazy left or (b) we’re going back to being pre-exodus GAF.

Or maybe he was just acting like an asshole and it's not a good look to let a dude who calls non-whites "poor minorities" run amuck?

I mean come on, there's sensible disagreement, and then there's stuff like that comment.

Last edited:
Or maybe he was just acting like an asshole and it's not a good look to let a dude who calls non-whites "poor minorities" run amuck?

I mean come on, there's sensible disagreement, and then there's stuff like that comment.
I don’t know the context of that comment isn’t “poor minorities” basically how big corporations and Hollywood thinks of us “minorities” even in countries we are not minorities?

I read somewhere they were trying to get matthew mcconaughey but he declined for some reason, full agenda idk. I personally would have not liked that choice. The tone of his voice is not that deep. And i do not think that he is a good actor, i do not remember a performance by him that really was amazing.
DoW6Nae.png

Or the time he won the Oscar for Best Actor??

Doesn't even make the bar of 'good'?

EruditeHobo

Doesn't even make the bar of 'good'?

Some people have blind spots... Matty McC, when he's used right, is basically a powerhouse; Dazed and Confused, Lone Star, A Time to Kill, True Detective, Wolf of Wall Street, Killer Joe, Mud, The Beach Bum... he's the man.

Last edited:
I don’t know the context of that comment isn’t “poor minorities” basically how big corporations and Hollywood thinks of us “minorities” even in countries we are not minorities?

Dunno, I'm just going off the possible connotation based on that user's previous type of comments (it's not the first time they've said something somewhat disparaging of other groups).

You're right in the context that Hollywood seems to pretend foreign film markets don't exist, when they're some of the biggest film markets in the world. Japanese film, Korean film, Bollywood (Indian cinema), Nollywood (Nigerian cinema), places like Brazil and such with their own film scenes etc.

People are way too simple-minded when they limit "representation" to only American cinema, I don't even think they realize they're reinforcing a stereotype of America = The World when they do it :LOL:

I read somewhere they were trying to get matthew mcconaughey but he declined for some reason, full agenda idk. I personally would have not liked that choice. The tone of his voice is not that deep. And i do not think that he is a good actor, i do not remember a performance by him that really was amazing.

He's the original slacker stoner prototype (Dazed & Confused), and he's pretty good in Contact. He's actually quite good too in some movie from about several years ago, about some gay cowboy who got AIDS and lobbied for safer medicine.

Was a docudrama apparently.

Last edited:
The Last of Us threads really brings the specials out.

They really need this nailed into their brains. Druckmann can literally do anything he wants in the show. Sony gives him absolute creative power because he makes them money along with critical acclaim. Now HBO also gave him creative control along with the biggest budget ever. Seems the more people bitch, the more money this dude makes.

Shmunter

The Last of Us threads really brings the specials out.

They really need this nailed into their brains. Druckmann can literally do anything he wants in the show. Sony gives him absolute creative power because he makes them money along with critical acclaim. Now HBO also gave him creative control along with the biggest budget ever. Seems the more people bitch, the more money this dude makes.
What’s Druckmans actual involvement in the tv series?

kunonabi

She was the worst part of Dumbo by a mile. If Hollywood is trying to make her the next big thing it won't work.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
The Last of Us? Moar like The Rest of Us, m i rite lol

Established characters, alphabet people, Cuckman, false copyright striking my video, #NotMyGameOfTheYear, Smash that like and subscribe button and hit the notification bell so you know when you can see me pop a vessel in my red, angry face.

Edit: for real, though. As shit as TLOU2 was in the story department, some of you people are definitely acting like you aren't at the back of the Storm, if you catch my drift. Acting K-K-Krazy. Gonna rent that new TV from Aryan's. Played Resident Evil Revelations 2 too long and got infected with the T-Phobic virus. Registered to take part in the triathlon with people who got their Master's Degree. You know.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Love Pedro Pascal as Oberyn Martell and the Mandalorian but this… I don’t know. After post-processing it might look good.

jm1fet2sytt71.png

I have no idea who that is, but Pedro Pascal and Anna Torv are good actors. When is this coming out? Probably early 2023? I would think around the time Factions releases?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
How involved is Cuckman? If he is calling the shots, I’m sure he wants to repent for making the first game about straight white people.

Top Bottom