• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us: Nico Parker Joins Pedro Pascal In HBO Series Adaptation of Popular Video Game

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

recursive

Dumbo star Nico Parker is set to join HBO’s series The Last of Us, an adaptation of the popular game. She will join Pedro Pascal, Bella Ramsey and Gabriel Luna, who are set to appear as Joel, Ellie and Tommy, respectively. Parker will play Joel’s daughter.

Need more pronouns in the name.

QS76SEd.gif

Kilau

Gold Member
They gonna do a lot of flashbacks or something? This would be a small role unless they aren't following the game much.

So she'll just be in the first five minutes?
If you try hard enough, you could probably recall and transcribe all of her lines (including the non-verbal) from memory.

Ooh, she is in that photograph Ellie gives to Joel. So she’s gotta do that as well :p

I'm not sure about the race change of both characters, but Pedro Pascal is a very good actor. Maybe they are just with totally new names? Seems confusing a bit. Is the US dry in white actors/actresses?

I don't think it's so much the lack of talented actors of Caucasian ethnicity. but rather this is compulsive need to shoehorn or the me too movement. "Hey guys, we have Asian, black, LGBT characters in our show/movie too!!"

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I don't think it's so much the lack of talented actors of Caucasian ethnicity. but rather this is compulsive need to shoehorn or the me too movement. "Hey guys, we have Asian, black, LGBT characters in our show/movie too!!"

Yup, that was sarcastic. Hollywood is full of Caucasian/white actors. They did the same move with The Witcher before the backlash. They kept that weird redhead bi-racial* (thanks, DeafTourette DeafTourette ) actor though which feels out of place if you played the games.

Last edited:
That kid looks identical to her mum (Thandie Newton, Maeve from Westworld) lol. This casting is basically irrelevant though, surely she won't feature in more than the first episode... right?

Shmunter

Yup, that was sarcastic. Hollywood is full of Caucasian/white actors. They did the same move with The Witcher before the backlash. They kept that weird redhead mix-breed actor though which feels out of place if you played the games.
Doesn’t matter too much in a future US setting, but the Witcher being a Euro centric fantasy setting really did it a disservice.

Even as basic as acknowledging that skin color is evolutionary based on geography, it makes little sense for full on diversity in a world where the prime mode of transportation is a horse and cart. fail.

oagboghi2

I don't give a crap, but is so funny to see the race obsession of the people in charge.

I'm sure Cuckmann regrets making Joel and his daughter white in the first game. That's just like not progressive at all!
They are forced to hit quota

Last edited:
I don't give a crap, but is so funny to see the race obsession of the people in charge.

I'm sure Cuckmann regrets making Joel and his daughter white in the first game. That's just like not progressive at all!
Not a single crap. Severe lack of interest. Would interest improve if there was a little footnote in the first game that Joel’s dad was from chile? Dye the actress’s hair blonde? Would that stop from you seeing Neil in your dreams mixing all the backgrounds of all your favorite non-existing characters?
Don't entertain him, it's not worth it.
I just want to know if there’s a language barrier or he's special.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I'm not sure about the race change of both characters, but Pedro Pascal is a very good actor. Maybe they are just with totally new names? Seems confusing a bit. Is the US dry in white actors/actresses?
Joel is the main character, and they clearly wanted to hire the best actor for that role. Everything else must have stemmed from that.

I'm sure they would have auditioned dozens of actors -- of all regions and races -- for Joel. They finally landed on Pedro. Now Tommy can't be a black, white, or asian person being Joel's biological brother. Ellie could, so they hired a white British actress, whoever they thought was the best for that role. Sarah couldn't either, so they need to keep her similar to Pedro Pascal, or it would be very non-immersive for viewers.

Personally, I couldn't care less about this. I never do. I just want the best possible actors for their respective roles who can give a solid believable performance. I already know the story. I'll see this show as more of a tribute to this wonderful gaming franchise and see it from a slightly different perspective in a different medium.

Also, who doesn't want to see more Pedro Pascal.

But I'm still a little sad they didn't get Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Joel. I want to see him act as Joel at least once in my life.

Raonak

Banned
Cool casting. I wonder if we're gonna get more flashbacks than the game. Would be quite cool to see more of Joel's family life.

kiphalfton

It's a bit suspect that he's cast as Joel, and his twitter handle has "he/him" in it. Must have leaned hard into it to land this role.

I'm losing respect for a lot of actors with this whole gendere identification thing. Yes, we know what you identify as. No we don't care.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Fucking hell, some of you need to go outside.

Ever thought they might have cast Pascal because he’s a bloody good actor? That his skin colour didn’t matter? And then they cast his daughter accordingly?

I hate the woke shit as much as anyone, but some of you are starting to sound like card carrying members of the klan with all this whining about who gets cast in what shows.

If they butcher The Last Of Us with a load of virtue signalling bullshit (which is more than possible), I’ll be right there slagging it off with everyone else, but if you’re sat there getting all angry, with your panties in a bunch, just because Joel ain’t played by a dude who’s firmly white, and his daughter ain’t as white as the driven snow, you’re being a racist prick.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Cool casting. I wonder if we're gonna get more flashbacks than the game. Would be quite cool to see more of Joel's family life.
Nah, would cooler if we saw Joel in his hunter days and how he survived the 1st decade or so of the apocalypse.

Last edited:

Ellery

Genuinely the show I am most hyped for.

In general I think that a lot of modern movies and tv shows are miscasting actors and going overboard, but I am certain that Pedro will do a great job and be a great fit as Joel.

I have faith in HBO and Naughty Dog. We have seen how Naughty Dog operates and how they approach quality. They wouldn't want this to be average or good. This is going to be amazing.

FunkMiller

Nah, would cooler if we saw Joel in his hunter days and how he survived the 1st decade or so of the apocalypse.

I‘s genuinely prefer that as a series. There’s 20 years there they could explore. They wouldn’t need to get anywhere near the events of the game. It could be a great character study.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Fucking hell, some of you need to go outside.

Ever thought they might have cast Pascal because he’s a bloody good actor? That his skin colour didn’t matter? And then they cast his daughter accordingly?

I hate the woke shit as much as anyone, but some of you are starting to sound like card carrying members of the klan with all this whining about who gets cast in what shows.

If they butcher The Last Of Us with a load of virtue signalling bullshit (which is more than possible), I’ll be right there slagging it off with everyone else, but if you’re sat there getting all angry, with your panties in a bunch, just because Joel ain’t played by a dude who’s firmly white, and his daughter ain’t as white as the driven snow, you’re being a racist prick.

Clapping Applause GIF

Billbofet

Finally, a depressing and bleak show on HBO........

I will check it out, but like uncharted I feel like the games were closer to movies than games themselves. Don't really see the point.

theHFIC

I gotta break some disturbing news to the people upset about the ethnicities of the actors in The Last of Us TV series.

Here goes…

The show is based on a video game which is not based on a true story.

I know you’re pivoting hard right now from “they’re coming to take our games” to some weird “they’re coming to recast our imaginary actors.” I know this a lot to process for you. Take a deep breath and accept the fact that no matter how clever you think your name pun for game creative director and tv series writer Neil Druckmann is, it will not make a difference to this show and you will still be watching each episode through whatever legal or illegal means you choose.

Namaste.

yurinka

Are you blind or something?

39430861102_46da54d52d_b.jpg

MV5BMTgzNTM1MDAxMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDM4NzcxNzM@._V1_.jpg
Blonde, shorter hair and the girl will be ok imo. Regarding Joel there were more similar Hollywood stars, but I think Pedro is ok. He looks somewhat similar to Joel and is a fucking awesome actor.

If unlike in most adaptations (see Uncharted movie) they make a minimal effort regarding makeup, clothing and so on to make the actors more similar to the game characters everything will look ok.

My biggest worry is Ellie because the actress doesn't look like her, but that girl did an awesome job in Game of Thrones.

🤣
Even Netflix couldn't have made a better choice.
Netflix would have casted Queen Latifah to play this girl.

Last edited:

skit_data

That kid looks identical to her mum (Thandie Newton, Maeve from Westworld) lol. This casting is basically irrelevant though, surely she won't feature in more than the first episode... right?
Aah, so that’s why I recognized her! Yeah, pretty much a copy of her mother!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Pedro is one heck of an actor (Wonder Woman, carried Narcos, and Mandalorian) he’s what’s going on now.

Top Bottom